South Carolina Pre-Game Stuff | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Pre-Game Stuff

Reaction Score
Isn't this what we always say Geno recruits a certain type people team oriented ,morally correct,why can't she recruit the same type same pool of players . CD and Geno expose the women to many things they are also helping them prepare for real life .Geno is just further along in the process

Reaction Score
Right? So as soon as she can recruit a more desirable caliber of player (those players who "just do what they need to do"??) then she can start being more "My way or no way" like Geno.

Wasn't Geno always, "My way or no way," even before he had such great success? Like back when many of the players he inherited quit the team his first year? (the "no way" option, presumably)

Maybe Dawn could take it to the next level with a little, "My way or no way" right now. Then maybe that "at some point these players have you" thing would start to go away. Can you imagine Bill Parcels saying, "at some point these players have you"? (Take note, Holly)

Geno has definitely always been "My way or no way". That is the success of the program, and probably the reason that a few have transferred out to other schools. If Dawn is letting her players control her, there is no way she will ever come close to reaching the level of success that Geno has had. I thought she was a pretty good coach, but if she is saying she doesn't have control over her players then she isn't nearly as good as I thought she was.

Reaction Score
This picture is NOT of Dawn Staley. You can tell because Dawn's twin SMILES :
upload_2017-2-12_20-59-22.png

PS/I'm not being critical of DS here; I really like her a lot, but you must admit she does look consistently grumpy. Also like Aja and Alaina. They're nice folks and good sports. Count on Dawn to say all of the right things when the game ends. May the best team win (and we know which that is) . . .

Reaction Score
"He gets the players where he can just coach basketball. Because they pretty much do what they need to do,” she said." Then how is it so many UConn alums go out of their way to say Geno (and CD) taught them so much more than the game of basketball;that they prepared the players for life after basketball. This is simply prattle from someone who has just re-articulated the standard cop out of other coaches: He gets all the best players.
So totally true. You can see how even very camera shy, quiet freshmen are able to be in front of the camera and be composed and articulate in the latter part of their time in Storrs and it's largely attributable to the wonderful staff and the opportunities the Huskies have given them. To see them blossom while they're in Connecticut is a great joy.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that so many of you seem to be unable to understand Dawn's point or to allow that it has any validity. In my opinion, it certainly does.

Even if there were no WNBA and no overseas professional basketball, isn't it obvious that nearly all of the players on this year's UConn team would have excellent chances (probably better than most college graduates) of having a successful professional career? Most of them are doing very well academically; they are well-spoken; they can relate to older adults such as their future bosses in an office; and they have learned to play as a good teammate long before they came to UConn. Those qualities, as much as their athletic ability, were what made them attractive to Geno and CD as recruits.

Of course, this has a lot to do with the strong families from which they all come -- no one on the team came from an impoverished background, and most (if not all) come from stable, two-parent families.

On the South Carolina roster, A'ja Wilson certainly fits a similar profile, which is probably a big reason why she was a UConn recruiting target. But I bet that several of their other players did not come from such a fortunate background, and I think that is what Dawn is talking about.

Nationally, I think Stanford, Notre Dame, and Duke (among major NC contenders) are able to attract enough students from relatively fortunate backgrounds, as UConn does. Most likely, other top teams have to choose between getting capable athletes and getting players who are fully prepared for the real (professional) world. That means that coaches such as Dawn have to deal with those issues much more than Geno / Muffitt / Tara do.

It's a significant issue that shouldn't be minimized or disregarded.

Don't know how many other middle aged southerners are in here who got to experience being bused across town in the pursuit of equality so will speak for myself. Skipping the actual experience and cutting to the chase, after having attended four large and two smaller and somewhat exclusive southern universities I can report that all of them had standing room only remedial classes for virtually every high school subject. From staying in touch with friends who have college age kids now I gather that the situation hasn't really changed much in all this time except there's no more bussing and things seem to have fully reverted back to, "separate but equal" status which is what got the courts involved in the first place.

Reaction Score
So totally true. You can see how even very camera shy, quiet freshmen are able to be in front of the camera and be composed and articulate in the latter part of their time in Storrs and it's largely attributable to the wonderful staff and the opportunities the Huskies have given them. To see them blossom while they're in Connecticut is a great joy.
LOL that's every kid nowadays. Have you never gone on YouTube or social media sites? Half the content is kids with their own shows or channels. This is a very camera friendly generation - kids pop out of the womb typing on touchscreens and before they are teenagers know how to record, edit, and post videos.

Reaction Score
The Gamecocks expect UConn to do what everybody does to them – play zone, try to collapse on Wilson and Alaina Coates in the post and keep them from scoring. As usual, the focus is on USC’s guards – Tyasha Harris to get the ball up against the Huskies’ defense and distribute, and Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray to make shots.

What makes it difficult is UConn’s offense often overshadows how good its defense is. The Huskies take away a team’s first two options offensively, and use turnovers to get easy buckets.

“We’ve got some things in place that will allow us, if they take one or two things away, we automatically go into something else without feeling the pressure of not getting through all of our options,” Staley said.

The Gamecocks can play fast or slow, can score from inside and out. Staley and the team were pressure-free in practice on Sunday, knowing that while it’s a big game, it’s a game they feel very capable of winning.

“We don’t have to play perfect. We got a good team we’re taking up there...”

[MORE]

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I thought she was more saying she is at a disadvantage because Geno gets players who are "ready made for the real world" and "most UConn players go on to play in the WNBA", so he doesn't really have to teach them about real life - can just focus on basketball. Where she gets players who are more disadvantaged and not ready for real life, and also are less likely to play in the WNBA. So she has to teach them basketball AND life. Total rationalization and BS IMO.
I took it this in two parallel contexts: Geno has himself, talked about how selective he can now be in getting kids who are motivated and want to be coached. Dawn stated she wants to give kids chances like she had, those who were disadvantaged and who probably need guidance and focus (my interpretation) which is her prerogative and is also her liability/risk. Though her statement of all going pro is a reach, many do however many don't. I also suspect the academic degrees vary quite a bit. A review of the stated Major declarations on the teams websites may bear this out. While her efforts to take student/athletes from lower economic means to help them is honorable, to us that as a platform of an excuse is not. Just be noble in your quest or else you sound hypocritical.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I took it this in two parallel contexts: Geno has himself, talked about how selective he can now be in getting kids who are motivated and want to be coached. Dawn stated she wants to give kids chances like she had, those who were disadvantaged and who probably need guidance and focus (my interpretation) which is her prerogative and is also her liability/risk. Though her statement of all going pro is a reach, many do however many don't. I also suspect the academic degrees vary quite a bit. A review of the stated Major declarations on the teams websites may bear this out. While her efforts to take student/athletes from lower economic means to help them is honorable, to us that as a platform of an excuse is not. Just be noble in your quest or else you sound hypocritical.
Geno himself has said in interviews that he considers UConn fortunate that the program has achieved a level of prestige where he can afford not to recruit even great athletes who are not "ready for the real world", in Dawn's words. UConn can still get very good (and some great) athletes who will accept coaching and don't need to be taught how to pay attention to an alarm clock for those 6 AM workouts before classes, and who do not need an excessive amount of academic support. Programs like South Carolina, though they are almost as good on the court as UConn and in some cases have better athletes, do need to compromise and take players with off-court issues in order to have a team that can compete for an NC. Maybe (or maybe not), Dawn would confine her recruiting to "real world ready" players if she could field a competitive team that way, but unlike UConn / Stanford / ND / Duke, she might not be able to do that.

I didn't follow UConn's program closely in its formative years in the early 90s, but my impression is that even then, Geno only recruited players who were "real world ready" in this sense. It IS a tribute to his coaching that he was able to win an NC in 1995 with only those kinds of kids, but it's doubtful that the 1995 team would get past the Sweet 16 today.

Reaction Score
Geno himself has said in interviews that he considers UConn fortunate that the program has achieved a level of prestige where he can afford not to recruit even great athletes who are not "ready for the real world", in Dawn's words. UConn can still get very good (and some great) athletes who will accept coaching and don't need to be taught how to pay attention to an alarm clock for those 6 AM workouts before classes, and who do not need an excessive amount of academic support. Programs like South Carolina, though they are almost as good on the court as UConn and in some cases have better athletes, do need to compromise and take players with off-court issues in order to have a team that can compete for an NC. Maybe (or maybe not), Dawn would confine her recruiting to "real world ready" players if she could field a competitive team that way, but unlike UConn / Stanford / ND / Duke, she might not be able to do that.

I didn't follow UConn's program closely in its formative years in the early 90s, but my impression is that even then, Geno only recruited players who were "real world ready" in this sense. It IS a tribute to his coaching that he was able to win an NC in 1995 with only those kinds of kids, but it's doubtful that the 1995 team would get past the Sweet 16 today.

What college freshman is real world ready? Do you not recall the struggles that Shea faced? Do you believe EDD was ready? That 95 team was very good, don't sell them short. Jamelle came from a tough background. Geno recruits players with more concern for team than self.

Reaction Score
I doubt that team could do it either. But likely none of the other teams that year would make the sweet 16 today.

Reaction Score
Geno and CD have been together for thirty-two years. It didn't just happen overnight.
No but it had already happened enough 22 years ago for them to win their first NC

Reaction Score
From that So. Car. factoid page linked above:

"8 Games this season in which free throws have made up at least 25 percent of the Gamecocks' scoring, including five of the six games against ranked opponents
"9 Games in which at least one opposing player has fouled out, including all six wins over ranked opponents"

Cutting that 25% of their scoring down as much as possible will be one of the keys to the game; same for the accumulated fouls.--gotta stay out of foul trouble. I know all that seems obvious, but it's really important. I dont know who will be reffing tonight, but in the MD and the Baylor games yesterday, it seemed to me the refs were calling a lot of trivial touch fouls. If that happens tonight, I dont know how the game turns out. They also seemed to be calling a lot of fouls underneath, where it was really arbitrary who fouled whom. I say let'em play!

Reaction Score
From that So. Car. factoid page linked above:

"8 Games this season in which free throws have made up at least 25 percent of the Gamecocks' scoring, including five of the six games against ranked opponents
"9 Games in which at least one opposing player has fouled out, including all six wins over ranked opponents"

Cutting that 25% of their scoring down as much as possible will be one of the keys to the game; same for the accumulated fouls.--gotta stay out of foul trouble. I know all that seems obvious, but it's really important. I dont know who will be reffing tonight, but in the MD and the Baylor games yesterday, it seemed to me the refs were calling a lot of trivial touch fouls. If that happens tonight, I dont know how the game turns out. They also seemed to be calling a lot of fouls underneath, where it was really arbitrary who fouled whom. I say let'em play!
I worry most about Gabby and fouls. She's going to be guarding, or at least trying to, someone at least half a foot taller all night.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I worry most about Gabby and fouls. She's going to be guarding, or at least trying to, someone at least half a foot taller all night.
I hear you, but they have deal with Gabby. That kid is amazing,

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I might have to rethink actually putting someone from Duke on my "Like List" when it comes to basketball (present company of Triad excluded!):p

Reaction Score
I hear you, but they have deal with Gabby. That kid is amazing,
Yeah she is, but she can't be amazing from the bench. I'm hoping we can get a few Gabulous steals and easy transition buckets.

Reaction Score

Expand the above-referenced video post. I was, until viewing this second video, the one of Gabby and Kia, enjoying a high level of confidence regarding the Huskies chances tonight. Now that I've gotten a look, up close and personal, at how clearly petrified these two are, how overwhelmed they are by the pressure, to which any keen observer can bear witness, all that confidence is shattered. If they're so clealy terrified, I guess we all should react similarly!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom