South Carolina post game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

South Carolina post game thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And always will be as long as Geno is there. That third quarter adjustment was excellent. The other three quarters were pretty even. UConn came out of the half and ran away with it.

It was interesting. In the half time interview with Rebecca, he basically was tossing his hands up when asked how do you defend SC. Fast penetrating guards and our perimeter does not have the speed in general.

Kept the zone a secret. With ONO manning the zone, it looks really good and forces even really fast teams to shoot over it. SC did a good job but I think Geno will not mind the 3pt makes too much since it distracts teams from trying to get fouls on us. Even Sue was saying how they actually like it when a team starts out hot from the 3pt line because they get shot happy and the law of averages takes it's toll. (Except OU that is)

Reaction Score
Was Boston at the game rooting for her gamecocks!! The one that got away!! Any recruits at the game??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lol no kidding. I mentioned this in another thread yesterday. South Carolina usually gets Connecticut’s best game of the year. I watched your games vs. Baylor, Louisville and a few others and tonight the Huskies were ON in a way they haven’t been all year. I’m used to it at this point haha..

@SCGamecock I'd edit that to "at this point ... haha" ;)

Reaction Score
Reading some comments on the chat and there are some negative comments, especially about the defense and Ono's play. Anyone who finds something bad to say about tonight's performance, is just being unfair. We already knew the defense needed to improve and it did in the third quarter when it was most needed. Seems some people are just hard to please.
I'm surprised that you would waste your time going to the Cesspool. Nothing worth seeing there.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It was interesting. In the half time interview with Rebecca, he basically was tossing his hands up when asked how do you defend SC. Fast penetrating guards and our perimeter does not have the speed in general.

Kept the zone a secret. With ONO manning the zone, it looks really good and forces even really fast teams to shoot over it. SC did a good job but I think Geno will not mind the 3pt makes too much since it distracts teams from trying to get fouls on us. Even Sue was saying how they actually like it when a team starts out hot from the 3pt line because they get shot happy and the law of averages takes it's toll. (Except OU that is)

The zone really slowed us down. We like pace and space-Transition and kick outs for threes-Perimeter passing and interior duck ins. The zone takes away all of that. Then we start “thinking” on offense. Kudos to UConn because a lot of teams would’ve buckled under the pressure that SC was putting on both sides of the ball in that first half...

I love our style of play. I love having lots of guards that can put pressure on teams offensive and bigs that can run. We need to come out of halftime better. Jennings was a big disappointment today... she didn’t impose her will the way she could’ve. I couldn’t see Collier or Samuelson stopping her in this game. She missed a few shots, loss confidence and completely checked out. Saxton (a freshman that played 5 for us tonight) is going to be a REALLY good player for SC. She can learn a lot from Collier’s development.

Good game for UConn and good luck the rest of the regular season. We have a tough road ahead so the team needs to refocus on conference play. SC still has A LOT to play for.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The zone really slowed us down. We like pace and space-Transition and kick outs for threes-Perimeter passing and interior duck ins. The zone takes away all of that. Then we start “thinking” on offense. Kudos to UConn because a lot of teams would’ve buckled under the pressure that SC was putting on both sides of the ball in that first half...

I love our style of play. I love having lots of guards that can put pressure on teams offensive and bigs that can run. We need to come out of halftime better. Jennings was a big disappointment today... she didn’t impose her will the way she could’ve. I couldn’t see Collier or Samuelson stopping her in this game. She missed a few shots, loss confidence and completely checked out. Saxton (a freshman that played 5 for us tonight) is going to be a REALLY good player for SC. She can learn a lot from Collier’s development.

Good game for UConn and good luck the rest of the regular season. We have a tough road ahead so the team needs to refocus on conference play. SC still has A LOT to play for.

I was worried alot about Harrigan before the game. She has really blossomed and she came out sharp but sought of faded.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I said this during the Miss St game, but it is SCARY how much SC has improved since early in the season. Surely the most improved team in the country from November to now. They look dangerous and they'll only get better in the next month and a half.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I was worried alot about Harrigan before the game. She has really blossomed and she came out sharp but sought of faded.

Another player that struggles with mental toughness. She didn’t get a few calls she felt she deserved and got frustrated. That happens to SC players A LOT in this game in particular... they get a few no calls against them or hand check fouls put on them and they completely lose all focus in the game. We need to do a much better job playing through frustration and adversity in this particular game. This is only an issue versus UConn. SC doesn’t have these kinds of ingame almost “emotional” breakdowns. We typically relish the underdog role and use that to stay in it.

I think our players want the win so bad that they succumb to emotion and lose focus when things get tough. Things got out of hand in the 3rd, but SC had more than enough time to breathe and refocus. That didn’t happen. We need to get better there.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I said this during the Miss St game, but it is SCARY how much SC has improved since early in the season. Surely the most improved team in the country from November to now. They look dangerous and they'll only get better in the next month and a half.
I agree with you 100%, earlier in the season I was stating that SC was not a top 25 team and that they wouldn't be in the top 5 of the SEC by the end of the season. Dawn has done some changes that have worked and if they keep on playing the way they are SC could have a chance in tying or winning the SEC regular season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
South Carolina was pretty impressive. I still think they are undermanned (underwomanned?) in the front court, but they played fearlessly. Very tenacious play and as Geno said harder to play against than last year's team, certainly matchup-wise against the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I like Lou playing more in the middle of the floor.

This is a reworked offense that may force a different game from Oregon and MSU I think for sure and possibly Baylor.

Lots more high-low. Geno said as much in the presser. Pheasant and Megan have improved so much as passers that he felt comfortable returning to his favorite offensive sets. That high back screen off the ball was also deadly.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
When did they start using the high screen. It looks like they have been practicing that a lot. Could come in handy when we face bigger teans

According to Sue during the smack talk segment, that particular play has been around at least since her time, and I suspect long before. It's a standard BB play. She noticed Geno signaling for it.

Reaction Score
Good game. Big win. Bodes well for the postseason. Lou and Pheesa are going out with a bang.

Christyn was the best I've seen her, confident at last.

Not to be critical, but I've watched a lot of SC games and I can rarely tell what they're trying to do with their offense. That backcourt bob and weave they do seems to, more often than not, end with someone putting up a 28-footer. Tons of talent, though. Crystal was taxed to the max by those speedy guards. I wish Cooper had been 100%, she limped around and still got 20 points.

Reaction Score
Lol no kidding. I mentioned this in another thread yesterday. South Carolina usually gets Connecticut’s best game of the year. I watched your games vs. Baylor, Louisville and a few others and tonight the Huskies were ON in a way they haven’t been all year. I’m used to it at this point haha..

It's finally nice FOR UConn to have their best game against pne of their opponent. :rolleyes: (I would place this game along with the ND game early this season)...speaking of early season, maybe Dawn should move this game in January and not February. Both losses (Baylor, Louisville...although on their court) occurred in the month of January. ;)

Reaction Score
A nice feature of chat is that you can block someone so you don't see their posts -- it's one of the options when you click their name. As a rule I don't block people but I made an exception for an obvious troll and my chat experience has been good ever since. :)

If everyone blocks each other...will there still be a game chat?

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I thought South Carolina played well and I think they will make some noise in the NCAA tournament. UCONN is UCONN. They play the same style and the system works for them. Geno gets the players that will fit his system...and then they play within that system. Dawn has had to use transfers that are used to other systems and at many times over the years had to go to a different style altogether. The kids they have coming in mixed with what they will have returning that are not transfers should bode well next year and beyond. This is a series that should continue (not a rivalry until SC wins one, therefore a series). If they meet in the tournament I am not so sure UCONN will be able to put them away as easily.

Reaction Score
Just a couple of observations. For the first time in a long time, IMHO, UConn ran some plays -- looked like some new ones -- make them work and the players looked delighted at the outcome. Often this year the team has looked like it was trying to do stuff and for whatever reason, just couldn't make the plays work. Add some tough shooting nights and you have the kinds of games they were playing for a while.
I was especially pleased to see Williams looking comfortable as a part of the whole, rather than the kinda lost add-on that she had been for a while.
Let's hope this is a turning point. If they play like this, they will be a force the rest of the year.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
?!? :confused: I replayed that play twice right after the call. No one from UConn came close to tipping the ball. He either had a bad angle, or he was seeing things. Geno went ballistic after that non call. I'm surprised one of the other officials didn't help him out. :confused:

REALLY Horrid refs

Reaction Score

I was gobsmacked at the way SC played in the first half. Radically different from last year, when everything went through A’ja Wilson. No team can sustain that level of hotness, and they came unraveled in the second half. Still, SC will be a tough out in the tourney, and they could even challenge MSSU for the SEC crown. I certainly hope so!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom