South Carolina post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

South Carolina post game thread

Reaction Score
Now we know what the team looks like when all 5 starters +1 come to play. With Crystal, Megan, and Christyn all attacking the basket, the defenses had to readjust, leaving Lou and Napheesa more open. They don’t need a lot of room, just an opening. Man, Napheesa made some tough, tough shots today and some of Lou’s rebounds were FIERCE.

This was classic UConn basketball against a pretty darn good opponent who shot the lights out in the first half. Kudos to South Carolina. They were unfortunate to get the Huskies when they were running on all cylinders

For some reason that seems to happen when we play UConn. The way we played tonight we would have beaten most teams.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While we wait for video, here is one from yesterday that might be worth viewing:

Someday Dawn, just not today.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Now we know what the team looks like when all 5 starters +1 come to play. With Crystal, Megan, and Christyn all attacking the basket, the defenses had to readjust, leaving Lou and Napheesa more open. They don’t need a lot of room, just an opening. Man, Napheesa made some tough, tough shots today and some of Lou’s rebounds were FIERCE.

This was classic UConn basketball against a pretty darn good opponent who shot the lights out in the first half. Kudos to South Carolina. They were unfortunate to get the Huskies when they were running on all cylinders
I liked the fact that they were hit by an opening salvo (10/11 or something like that) but held steady and clawed back to a first half lead. A good experience.

Reaction Score
Reading some comments on the chat and there are some negative comments, especially about the defense and Ono's play. Anyone who finds something bad to say about tonight's performance, is just being unfair. We already knew the defense needed to improve and it did in the third quarter when it was most needed. Seems some people are just hard to please.

Don't worry about some in the chat. Some seem to be there just to troll and offer strongly stated "contrary" opinions. And by contrary, I mean contrary to reality.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Cockytalk site is down for maintenance. Maybe overloaded or something like that??

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Some random thoughts

Dawn's team shot lights out and had a great game plan.
But Geno is still better at in-game adjustments...

Interesting that the SC kids seemed to lose heart as early as the 2nd quarter when UConn refused to go away....

Loafing on D: not getting up the floor; losing cutters for easy lay-ups, getting destroyed in transition; perhaps...(just perhaps) reflects the weakness of their coach...who is surely improving in most respects.

The loss; first to fouls and then to the injury of Te'a Cooper was a big blow to them...I remember her fouling a lot in her UTennn days, but she certainly is a tough defender and sure shot....She really seems to have found a home in SC. tough competitor.

Geno really has done a wonderful job turning around a season...As season in which we looked pretty run-of-the-mill at times....Terrific game.

On a personal note: We are skiing around the West this season and find ourselves in the Pacific Time Zone (Tahoe). It's weird watching a live game at 4 in the afternoon.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What happened on the backcourt violation that wasn't called?
They said that the ball was tipped into the backcourt off of a UConn player. Lou was pissed at the ref a second time on the ball going out of bounds and the same ref said it was off of her. She was telling him "That's the second time that you made a bad call on me." I just loved it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Geno just seems to have Dawn's number. Most of the games haven't been particularly close. Somebody above said it was basically even for about 20 minutes, but South Carolina was up 10 in the 1st quarter and ended up losing by 18. Doesn't seem like it was particularly even after that opening salvo by the Gamecocks.

Reaction Score
Don't worry about some in the chat. Some seem to be there just to troll and offer strongly stated "contrary" opinions. And by contrary, I mean contrary to reality.
A nice feature of chat is that you can block someone so you don't see their posts -- it's one of the options when you click their name. As a rule I don't block people but I made an exception for an obvious troll and my chat experience has been good ever since. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The win is great and Lou, Pheesa and Crystal played even better. But for me the most exciting thing was watching Christyn bring her game. This was the third straight game where offensively her game continued to elevate. Very exciting. It was also great to see the team clamp down on SCar in the 2nd period, and watching Liv clog the middle of the zone was just a treat. Something real good to build on for the Cotillion.

In the last two games, you could see her slowly coming out of the grips of the wall. She played with no fear tonight. Those two 3's she knocked down were huge and timely. This game was a huge confidence builder for her. I'll bet she was grinning all the way back to campus after the game. :D You know she's been stressing lately. Now she can relax, and mentor Aubrey Griffin next year when she hits her freshman wall. I guarantee you she'll sleep well tonight. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno just seems to have Dawn's number. Most of the games haven't been particularly close. Somebody above said it was basically even for about 20 minutes, but South Carolina was up 10 in the 1st quarter and ended up losing by 18. Doesn't seem like it was particularly even after that opening salvo by the Gamecocks.

In the game chat room, most agreed that SC could not keep up that pace and shooting percentage for too long. We were right. SC came out hot, but cooled down after the 1st quarter, and came out ice cold in the 3rd quarter. It was nice to see the UConn team we're use to. Definitely a confidence booster for the entire team, including the coaches.

I thought this game would tell us exactly where they were, and what we can expect from them in March. I think we're going to be OK. ;) I feel a lot better going into the post season now than I did a week ago. I know Geno doesn't want to, but he now knows he can depend and count on his starters to go 40 minutes if he has to.

He also knows ONO can come in and give him a few minutes and not hurt him. Liv is getting a little better with each game. She's not as good as she will be come November, but she's a whole lot better than she was in October.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Cockytalk has been down for several weeks.

Invite them over here, we're friendly. :p
ND was UConns best game but this was a close second

ND lately has been the BIGGEST game on our schedule, and visa versa. Before the season begins, THAT is always the game we all look forward to. It's usually our first real test of the year.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Congratulations on a nice win; you are still the team to beat in WBB.

And always will be as long as Geno is there. That third quarter adjustment was excellent. The other three quarters were pretty even. UConn came out of the half and ran away with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom