South Carolina post game thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

South Carolina post game thread

Reaction Score
I was impressed with Cooper the other night. She is improved and not the turnover machine she was at TN. She can still commit fouls when the matchup isn't to her advantage.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with Cooper the other night. She is improved and not the turnover machine she was at TN. She can still commit fouls when the matchup isn't to her advantage.
Pardon me if I don’t join in the applause for Cooper.. she was Visably upset and frustrated in the second half. She was running around the floor offer out of control.

Reaction Score
Lou took her to the rim in the second half and made her foul out, so I guess you can say you were correct in the "it had to be taken" statement.:cool:
Cooper fouled out----with 20 points not too shabby while hounding KLS. I'm not a Dawn or USC's fan but they deserve credit for playing a great game with very very good defenders and shooters. To say they were less makes the victory less sweet.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well you know the south has it's own pace. ;);););)

You have no idea. I've lived in the South for a long time, but I grew up in NJ and both of my parents were New Yorkers. Even after all these years, the slow drivers, slow walkers and slow service drives me bonkers. Of course, there are a lot of good things, but a (lack of) a sense of emergency isn't one of them.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think it's a terrible idea. Vegas is an expensive trip for 90% of the country.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't she advocating that the entire S16/E8 be held in one city? If so, she's gone completely off her rocker.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't she advocating that the entire S16/E8 be held in one city? If so, she's gone completely off her rocker.
Yes, the Sweet 16 through the Championship would be played in one location, and Las Vegas seems to be her choice. That’s Debbie’s idea that’s she’s been blathering about for some time now. After Andy Landers shot holes in her ridiculous idea by pointing out the incredible burden on fans for such a scenario, I am hopeful that we’ve heard the last of this nonsense.

Reaction Score
Yes, the Sweet 16 through the Championship would be played in one location, and Las Vegas seems to be her choice. That’s Debbie’s idea that’s she’s been blathering about for some time now. After Andy Landers shot holes in her ridiculous idea by pointing out the incredible burden on fans for such a scenario, I am hopeful that we’ve heard the last of this nonsense.

I think Debbie didn't know how to react when Andy made that comment.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure how much common knowledge this is but I for one did not appreciate how involved SC was in the recruitment of ONO and CW as commented on in

Former top recruits Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa re-ignite UConn-South Carolina rivalry

"Both Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Christyn Williams initially wanted to be a part of Dawn Staley’s roster at South Carolina. But it was the words of Geno Auriemma that poached the elite ballers from the south, in the hopes of winning a national championship (and WNBA aspirations afterwards). "

Maybe hyperbole but I think interesting and that CW and ONO played major roles in the victory just twists the needle a bit. :cool:

Reaction Score
Cooper fouled out----with 20 points not too shabby while hounding KLS. I'm not a Dawn or USC's fan but they deserve credit for playing a great game with very very good defenders and shooters. To say they were less makes the victory less sweet.
A bit of a coaches chess match that Geno won. Putting Cooper on KLS backfired on SC two ways. Cooper was on fire from outside but KLS took her to the basket and Cooper's fouls limited her ability to help team. When Cooper did guard KLS, a secondary defender took Williams who had one of her better games of the year.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much common knowledge this is but I for one did not appreciate how involved SC was in the recruitment of ONO and CW as commented on in

Former top recruits Christyn Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa re-ignite UConn-South Carolina rivalry

"Both Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Christyn Williams initially wanted to be a part of Dawn Staley’s roster at South Carolina. But it was the words of Geno Auriemma that poached the elite ballers from the south, in the hopes of winning a national championship (and WNBA aspirations afterwards). "

Maybe hyperbole but I think interesting and that CW and ONO played major roles in the victory just twists the needle a bit. :cool:

Interesting take considering Dawn pretty much did the same for Aliyah this year. Wonder if they’ll spin the same article for next years matchup in Columbia.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting take considering Dawn pretty much did the same for Aliyah this year. Wonder if they’ll spin the same article for next years matchup in Columbia.

We won't need an article to point out the Aliyah recruitment war assuming she is making a reasonably big impact when our game comes around. That just adds to
the spice of the matchup but I am sure our press will remind us just the same.

I am just commenting on the fact that I just do not think it was common knowledge that SC was heavily invested in CW and ONO. Certainly, no one mentioned it on the BY prior to the game. I would have found that interesting and perhaps our press would have followed up by asking our Freshman how it feels going against Dawn and SC etc.

Reaction Score
We won't need an article to point out the Aliyah recruitment war assuming she is making a reasonably big impact when our game comes around. That just adds to
the spice of the matchup but I am sure our press will remind us just the same.

I am just commenting on the fact that I just do not think it was common knowledge that SC was heavily invested in CW and ONO. Certainly, no one mentioned it on the BY prior to the game. I would have found that interesting and perhaps our press would have followed up by asking our Freshman how it feels going against Dawn and SC etc.

Agreed. Fwiw I never though Williams would end up in SC based on the relationship with Geno and CD. ONO on the other hand was a shocker considering the fact that she talked about SC a lot in her blog and how happy she was when SC won the NC in 2017. I think they enjoyed going against Dawn and Law and it certainly has to put CW in a better space after she was struggling some games. Looking forward to our future matchups though with ONO vs Boston, and CW vs Cooke etc.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Debbie didn't know how to react when Andy made that comment.
First off, I am NO FAN of Debbie as a basketball analayst.
Her stance is sort of based off of how NCAA Baseball and Softball host their “World Series” at Omaha and Oklahoma City each year as a destination (in this case it’s only 8 teams) and that the attendance at both has blossomed and thrived.
A big difference is this would be 16 teams in a One nod Done aspect whereas BB/SB is double elimination. Vegas also IS NOT the venue as it isn’t kid friendly, or for that matter even women friendly. Omaha and OKC each have roots for baseball or softball from the locals. Is Springfield or Knoxville logical or does that become too UConn/Tenn bias?
The question would be do you have a rotating set of venues, like the Super Bowl, to allow various regions to host and it’s publicized ahead and you can plan for Nextel year or in two years. Maybe MSG in NYC, Chicago, Boston all become viable as the pool size is now bigger to get fans from.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think it's a terrible idea. Vegas is an expensive trip for 90% of the country.

I'd love it!!! I'm in that 10%. Let's do it!!! :D Of course I'm being facetious here. Star Trek's Spock said it best: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" :cool:

Reaction Score
In the last two games, you could see her slowly coming out of the grips of the wall. She played with no fear tonight. Those two 3's she knocked down were huge and timely. This game was a huge confidence builder for her. I'll bet she was grinning all the way back to campus after the game. :D You know she's been stressing lately. Now she can relax, and coach Aubrey Griffin next year when she hits her freshman wall. I guarantee you she'll sleep well tonight. ;)

Agree it was great to see Christyn battle underneath and let her offense flow. And her post-game responses reflected her joy. Welcome back CW.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Fwiw I never though Williams would end up in SC based on the relationship with Geno and CD. ONO on the other hand was a shocker considering the fact that she talked about SC a lot in her blog and how happy she was when SC won the NC in 2017. I think they enjoyed going against Dawn and Law and it certainly has to put CW in a better space after she was struggling some games. Looking forward to our future matchups though with ONO vs Boston, and CW vs Cooke etc.
I thought I heard an interview with CW where she initially didn't want to go to UConn because she wanted to be on a team that BEAT UConn. That was until she meet with the UConn coaching staff and it completely changed her opinion of them. She wants to be challenged, she wants to be great.

Reaction Score
I thought I heard an interview with CW where she initially didn't want to go to UConn because she wanted to be on a team that BEAT UConn. That was until she meet with the UConn coaching staff and it completely changed her opinion of them. She wants to be challenged, she wants to be great.

While I believed that initially I never thought she would wind up any place other than Storrs. She cut her final list to two (UConn and SC) but she removed SC earlier in the process until Jolette Law got hired and thought she’d take another look at SC because of their relationship. I just knew she wasn’t coming and she seemed to have built a relationship with Walker and Dangerfield on the U19 team so there was never my doubt she would be a husky from my end.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While I believed that initially I never thought she would wind up any place other than Storrs. She cut her final list to two (UConn and SC) but she removed SC earlier in the process until Jolette Law got hired and thought she’d take another look at SC because of their relationship. I just knew she wasn’t coming and she seemed to have built a relationship with Walker and Dangerfield on the U19 team so there was never my doubt she would be a husky from my end.

I remember after her decision in one of the first interviews, when asked who she wanted to play with on the team, she beamed one of her high wattage smiles and squeaked "Crystal Dangerfield". Without Crystal, I am not sure we get CW and without CW, not sure we get ONO. :D

Also, I wonder if we had won either of the recent NC's, if she would have come. My pop psychology of her thinks she is happier coming here because she feels a bigger challenge and would be even more legendary if she can reverse the downward trend instead of just steering the ship.

Reaction Score

No difference for South Carolina fans. We get sent to California or South Dakota anyway. : )

In all seriousness, probably half the tournament is flying to the middle rounds anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom