South Carolina @ Maryland | Page 5 | The Boneyard

South Carolina @ Maryland

Reaction Score
whatever the final score, MD really wins this game: hung in and clawed back in.
\''
MD got the score to within 3 points--amazing. Brenda and some gutzy kids worked their tails off. If they started the game as they ended it--maybe a W.
USC played the Uconn game to start---defense, steals, lay-up's. A'ja missed some bunnies early on, clunked some free throws early. I kept thinking if MD had a Jones like kid--MD could have taken the defending National Champs (USC deserves that title until dethroned)

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game-work and projects. I will watch and comment later. According to the box score though USC dominated and then went cold. MD climbed back into it late in the game.

Frese made really good halftime adjustments. SC went conservative offensively. Maryland got into their transition game and made a game of it. Charles got hot (UConn fans should know her well) and gave life to Maryland.

Was a really good game but SC should've won by 20 points if they'd kept their foot on the gas. I understand Dawn wanted to get the younger players some decent minutes but in later games vs. big opponents I expect the bench to be tighter. Momentum died when the rotation got too green.

Maryland is scrappy. Good shooters as usually. UConn will need to put them down early and not let up or they'll find themselves in a game like South Carolina did tonight.

Reaction Score
Certainly not Vivians.

Neither Indiana or Chicago need a PG. Indiana has Briann January and Erica Wheeler. Chicago has Courtney Vandersloot and Jamierra Faulkner with Cappie Pondexter as a backup. And if they do want a PG/combo-guard, Mitchell will be the first one off the board.

I'm just not seeing Canada as a lottery pick unless she has an inconceivably amazing kind of year.

Reaction Score
Watching the replay now.

I think this might be Dawn's best offensive team. 96 on the road against a top 20 opponent in game two is pretty surprising to me and impressive.

I think foul trouble or injury to Aja Wilson could be a big problem if it happens, but I believe over the course of the season that the depth of this team will prove to be better than last season's team.

The freshmen are a lot more talented, I think.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Deb Antonelli has Gabby being drafted 5th.

I don’t think that was any kind of order. She was just saying that those are some of the top draft prospects.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don’t think that was any kind of order. She was just saying that those are some of the top draft prospects.

Deb leans to offense and will not appreciate defense as much as offensive splash.

Reaction Score
Right now, SC looks ready to compete against anybody, their transfer from PSU the real deal. Their defensive intensity in the beginning of the game put Maryland on their heels and Wilson delivered on her promise to keep her team focused. The gamecocks couldn't sustain that intensity, but neither did UCONN. Notre Dame also won the transfer lottery, Shepard's maturity at both ends of the floor puts the Irish among the nation's most dangerous teams. This will be an interesting year seeing which of the top teams the Huskies face can keep their offensive poise against our swarming defenses.

Reaction Score
Guess I'll say South Carolina since their opponent made it a one or two possession game with a minute left. UConn's victory was never in jeopardy even when Stanford cut the lead under 30 late in the game.
With less than 1.5 minutes left MD got it to 3, albeit for only seconds. Not a w for Md but lots to be pleased with some terrible BB too

Reaction Score
This game exemplifies why you don't take your foot off the gas. You don't let up unless the opponent agrees to stop trying to score.

Reaction Score
Maryland was totally outclassed by South Carolina for the first 23 minutes of the game. But cutting a 26 point deficit to 3 points was very impressive. I thought Brenda made a strategic error by putting the freshman Lewis in the starting lineup instead of the steadier Sarah Myers (no turnovers). Maryland had turnovers in 4 of their first 7 possessions. Can't wait to see how the team perform when Christinaki is eligible.

Reaction Score
This game exemplifies why you don't take your foot off the gas. You don't let up unless the opponent agrees to stop trying to score.

Free throws, turnovers, defensive lapses. Do wonder if they were a little tired, but give Maryland credit for playing to the buzzer and hitting shots.

After time to think about it, I do think this team has a chance to be Staley's best offensive squad. The pieces fit better than any we've had before I think. The ball doesn't have to stop quite as much and in as many places as before.

Reaction Score
Yes I forget MD has 3 transfers this season ...
Suggest both will be stronger as their many new players gain confidence and experience. Looking forward to future games and not underestimating either.

Reaction Score

If that were the case, she wouldn't have needed to number them and put Wilson incidentally on top. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom