triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Started from the bottom now we're here

drake.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Drake is a good team. So too are MD and OSU, the other teams that beat SC. But it appears that without last season’s NPOY, the Gamecocks could be a middle of the pack team in the SEC.

I’ve always liked Dawn. While she has never been at the level of MM or Geno when it comes to offense, her teams have always been exceptional on the defensive end. But not so far this season.

Reaction Score
Dawn is an excellent recruiter and coach. SC is and will be in the conversation of elite teams!!!

Reaction Score
South Carolina may drop out the AP top 20 ranks with 3-3 records.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There was some extensive discussion of the SC-Drake game in the “Other games” thread, for those interested (starting near bottom of page 2):
Other games 11/24

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that this was not expected to be the "normal" season for South Carolina. There were too many question marks, not with talent, but talent that had not played together. Cooper is the real deal and if she can get help this will be a different team at years end....when it really counts.

Reaction Score
From the box score, seemed like this was run more like a scrimmage. 13 SC women and 10 Drake women got minutes. My impression is that Dawn is more interested in developing team so it wins league championship and goes far in NCAA's. Not saying this is right or wrong but interesting to see how she develops team through in game minutes.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I am eating my words. I didn't think Drake had a chance to beat South Carolina.

Thanks for your candidness. I posted this after ND had played both Gonzaga and Drake and thought the team from Iowa could cause some issues.
I watched the ND-Drake game this morning. I thought Gonzaga actually had some better athletes, but Drake has their system down and the coach uses virtually every player to throw waves at you.
Dawn's guards better have their head on a swivel because they'll back door you every play if you let them. And they can -- and will -- launch threes. I think the Achille's Heel is that they don't have a speedy, reliable ball handler and SC could take advantage of that. But if SC does not shoot well, Drake could be the headache that does not go away.

Nice tournament for Drake: beat Rutgers and S. Carolina and played ND tough.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Thanks for your candidness. I posted this after ND had played both Gonzaga and Drake and thought the team from Iowa could cause some issues.

As did I after the OSU/SC game. :D

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
South Carolina has not looked like a team with 8 5-stars thus far.
It's not how you start...it's how you finish. These players have never played together before. I think Dawn is setting them up for the long haul. She really had no choice. Cooper and Cuevas-Moore didn't play any minutes last year. These girls are really trying to work through a meshing period. They won't will a title with this group but they can build with what they have coming in.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's not how you start...it's how you finish. These players have never played together before. I think Dawn is setting them up for the long haul. She really had no choice. Cooper and Cuevas-Moore didn't play any minutes last year. These girls are really trying to work through a meshing period. They won't will a title with this group but they can build with what they have coming in.
With all do respect, SC lost Wilson, but just about everyone else is back from last year’s team. While Cuevas-Moore was out, she’s not exactly new to the program having played 3 full seasons in Columbia. Even Cooper has been around for a year. If you made your case for a team like MS St, I would agree.

Reaction Score
Drake is a good team. So too are MD and OSU, the other teams that beat SC. But it appears that without last season’s NPOY, the Gamecocks could be a middle of the pack team in the SEC.

I’ve always liked Dawn. While she has never been at the level of MM or Geno when it comes to offense, her teams have always been exceptional on the defensive end. But not so far this season.
I’ve always mildly disliked Dawn (mainly her mindless interviews) but I think SC will finish second behind Miss St. I don’t think they’ll be middle of the pack though I’d love to see it. SEC is filled with mediocrity except Ms State and surprising KY. Give Matt Mitchell credit. He’s pulled a rabbit out of the hat with new acquisition Howard. Where did she come from? Was she rated? Also he deserves credit for having the best press in the country. Those kids play defense like savages. Just as quickly as he epically imploded his program they are almost back.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve always mildly disliked Dawn (mainly her mindless interviews) but I think SC will finish second behind Miss St. I don’t think they’ll be middle of the pack though I’d love to see it. SEC is filled with mediocrity except Ms State and surprising KY. Give Matt Mitchell credit. He’s pulled a rabbit out of the hat with new acquisition Howard. Where did she come from? Was she rated? Also he deserves credit for having the best press in the country. Those kids play defense like savages. Just as quickly as he epically imploded his program they are almost back.
You may be correct about SC finishing as the runner up to MS St in the SEC. But sitting at the T-U Center in Albany last March, watching the Gamecocks first struggle with Buffalo and then get walloped by the Huskies, I was struck by just how average they were talent wise after A’ja Wilson. Whenever SC got into a tight game last year, they would pound the ball inside to Wilson, and she would carry the team on her back. Without Wilson, I don’t know if the Gamecocks have an answer in all the tight battles that await them in conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom