South Carolina fans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina fans

Reaction Score
There are times when things need to be said and other times to stay quiet. This is one of those times we stay quiet and let the team do the talking when it counts the most.

Reaction Score
Husky and GameCock-now loving living in Bluffton, SC and traveling the state. In Greenville last week - best job of urban redevelopment in US. SC has some of the best sport fans in the country with the exception of women's basketball. Have not found many fans of any women's sports. Even graduates typcially acknowledge that they have a good "girls team" but know little about the team.
Starting to hear some grumbling from old-time Greenvillians about buildings now shading Main Street. The youngers generation (s) seem to still be flocking to live downtown though.

The wbb fanbase is growing in the state but I think the Greenville media coverage is lagging a bit behind. Soccer and volleyball are starting to draw headlines a bit too. The UConn v. SCar "rivalry" is the biggest force that is driving any increase in women's sports in SC.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Where? I've just moved to North Myrtle Beach.
I lived in Cherry Grove for a year...loved it...North Myrtle was not that great but it's been a few years. Maybe things have changed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
friends-joey-tribbiani.gif

Too much?

angry hataraku maou-sama GIF

“Shut down the women’s basketball board! Shut down the dang general women’s basketball board!!!”

Too much? ;)

I knew that game was always going to be tough, but that fourth quarter was just world-class disappointing. Hopefully, we’ll be better prepared when we next meet. Congrats on a good win.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Where? I've just moved to North Myrtle Beach.
North Myrtle is pretty cool. Some great restaurants. If you've just moved to SC, you may not be familiar with the geographic nomenclature. The Upstate is those western counties that border on North Carolina or Georgia; Greenville, Spartanburg, Oconee, Cherokee, Pickens, and Anderson predominantly. We are about 4 hours away from NMB. Welcome to SC. Beautiful Places and Smiling Faces.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Husky and GameCock-now loving living in Bluffton, SC and traveling the state. In Greenville last week - best job of urban redevelopment in US. SC has some of the best sport fans in the country with the exception of women's basketball. Have not found many fans of any women's sports. Even graduates typcially acknowledge that they have a good "girls team" but know little about the team.
#YeahThatGreenville - Typically listed as one of the top downtowns in America. Great town. Over 50 companies national and international headquarters. A top spot for young professionals too. Downtown has a replica of Fenway park, where BoSox minor leaguers play. (Go Yankees)

Reaction Score
Somewhat unrelated, I liked that both UConn and South Carolina fans traveled to support their teams. I thought that was one of the few bright spots from the game today.
True. We each had groups far bigger than anyone else. I think we may have been a little larger than USC but it would be close. I was really surprised USF had such a small group.

Reaction Score
Had there not been Covid we would have been there. If they go to another island tournament I won’t miss it.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I have not read anything to support your warning. I think all fans on here are basic women's basketball fans. UCONN is not dead in the water and it's a very long season. I would be surprised to see an undefeated team at seasons end......even with South Carolina playing at such a high level. It takes one bad game and you have a loss. The South Carolina fans have not been anything but respectful but they deserve the right to be happy. Just saying......I lived in Irmo SC for 8 years and got to know their athletics programs up close. They appreciate winning. They don't expect it.
We have a lot more experience with losing than with winning.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
In basketball, our fandom is very much Columbia focused.

Reaction Score
Yes South Carolina has a great team, and will be formidable to play this season and into the tournament. We are fortunate to play them early in season, and later in preparation for the big dance. Let's see how it plays out. SC certainly deserved the W this week. They played well.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Two teams that play each other every year that know they have to go through each other for the top recruits and #1 ranking. More of a "friendly" rivalry at this point unlike ND and TN but still a rivalry. Both teams circle their game with each other on the calendar every year. Meeting in the FF would enhance the rivalry (they did meet in regional final in 2018) but the rivalry is already there and will only get stronger over the next couple of seasons.
Regional Final that was over by the first half. South Carolina has only won twice that's not a rival.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I can’t “like” this post but must acknowledge its validity!
It's true, especially in football. We've had periods of good teams in most sports, but success over the course of decades is probably limited to baseball. In WBB we had some lean years under Nancy Wilson and Susan Walvius, though both of them had a few good teams.

Reaction Score
South Carolina sure seems to fill their arena for the WBB games.........I believe they've led the country in attendance the past few years..........somebody must appreciate women's basketball down there.....

Reaction Score
SC has been leading the nation in attendance for quite some time now….there must be some fans.

Reaction Score
SC has been leading the nation in attendance for quite some time now….there must be some fans.
The fambase is mostly in the Columbia area. The ticket prices are kept low enough to take a whole family to the games and the locals do. The AD and Dawn are in absolute agreement on keeping prices low to make it accessible to the entire community.

We are a football-tv-money-rich SEC school and can afford to do this.

Reaction Score
I live in the Upstate of South Carolina. When I talk to fans here they usually say, "Girls basketball? Really?"
I believe it. Dawn had to correct one of the reporters/writers who used the term "girls" in referring to her team.

Reaction Score
Very Proud of this thread. Why? Moderator made a prediction to stop overzealous South Carolina fans from poking fun at Uconn fans. Instead!!! This thread turned into a lovefest between UConn Fans and SCar fans. Yaaaay.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, yes, SC has led the NCAA WCBB in attendance the past 6 years (no data for 20-21). Prior to that, in 2014, Tennessee led the category (SC was 10th at 6,371) and it was the last of 11 straight years (2004-2014) they led the country only broken in 2003 when UConn led the country. Tennessee also led the country for 3 years '00, '01 and '02. The 2000 year was the first year listed for Attendance. Tennessee had by far the highest average of 15,510 in 2001. They also broke 15,000 in 2006 with 15,356. SC's highest average was 14,364 in 2016 and they had 12,218 in 2020 and 10,406 in 2019.

But as @visitingcock noted, the school keeps ticket prices very low to allow boosters to buy in bulk and to give them to youth organizations. So, being the business analyst that I am and the fact I regularly buy UConn tickets, I suspect the UConn revenue is higher on gate receipts than SC.

But hey, feel free to put up another banner on the being the top attendance school in WCBB. We will retain the banner for most titles...oh wait, we already have 11 so I guess we don't need 1 stating we have the most banners...

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, yes, SC has led the NCAA WCBB in attendance the past 6 years (no data for 20-21). Prior to that, in 2014, Tennessee led the category (SC was 10th at 6,371) and it was the last of 11 straight years (2004-2014) they led the country only broken in 2003 when UConn led the country. Tennessee also led the country for 3 years '00, '01 and '02. The 2000 year was the first year listed for Attendance. Tennessee had by far the highest average of 15,510 in 2001. They also broke 15,000 in 2006 with 15,356. SC's highest average was 14,364 in 2016 and they had 12,218 in 2020 and 10,406 in 2019.

But as @visitingcock noted, the school keeps ticket prices very low to allow boosters to buy in bulk and to give them to youth organizations. So, being the business analyst that I am and the fact I regularly buy UConn tickets, I suspect the UConn revenue is higher on gate receipts than SC.

But hey, feel free to put up another banner on the being the top attendance school in WCBB. We will retain the banner for most titles...oh wait, we already have 11 so I guess we don't need 1 stating we have the most banners...
Since I must appreciate your Snark . . .

SCar doesn’t need to profit on wbb ticket sales. Is wbb the only part of UConn’s athletic department that turns a profit?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom