South Carolina fans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

South Carolina fans

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Since I must appreciate your Snark . . .

SCar doesn’t need to profit on wbb ticket sales. Is wbb the only part of UConn’s athletic department that turns a profit?
1638218362368.gif

“Shut the general woman’s Basketball Board and ban all South Carolina posters!”

I kid, I kid. (or do I?)

In 2020 I don’t believe any of our sports made a profit.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

SCar doesn’t need to profit on wbb ticket sales. Is wbb the only part of UConn’s athletic department that turns a profit?
The funny thing is I wanted to edit your comment for better clarity "We the SEC is are a football-tv-money-rich SEC school and can afford South Carolina to do this".

The irony is though, even football rich SEC schools cut Men's Athletic programs as even the mighty Gamecocks with all their SEC money, only have 8 Men's sports. The women have 11 sports including Beach Volleyball, which seems odd as I have been to Columbia and don't recall any beaches?

I jest of course, but the point is despite all the "so-called money" from Football, the SEC schools seem to reinvest all that same money back into salaries of Football so virtually all the SEC schools have limited men's programs and requisite Title IX women's programs to equal out the football 85 scholarships.
Tennessee 7 men's, 9 women's
Texas A&M 8 men's, 10 women's
LSU 8 men's, 11 women's
Mizzou 8 men's, 10 women's
Georgia 8 men's, 11 women's
Ole Miss 7 men's, 9 women's
Miss State 6 men's, 8 women's
Alabama 7 men's, 10 women's
Florida 8 men's, 11 women's
Vanderbilt 6 men's, 9 women's
Arkansas 7 men's, 10 women's
Kentucky 10 men's, 12 women's
Auburn 7 men's, 10 women's

UConn 7 men's, 12 women's, (they just cut Men's swimming).

So yeah, it is a little bit disingenuous that so many of your colleagues want to tout this "football" money but yet, it stays "football money"...much to the dismay of the many non-revenue sports that could and should benefit with the distribution-like men's swimming, water polo, wrestling, men's soccer, men's and women's lacrosse...

For the record, the NCAA has sanctioned 16 men's sports, 18 women's sports and 3 co-ed sports. Stanford participates in the most with 16 Men's and 19 Women's. Some of these sports are not sanctioned by the NCAA-like men's rowing.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is I wanted to edit your comment for better clarity "We the SEC is are a football-tv-money-rich SEC school and can afford South Carolina to do this".

The irony is though, even football rich SEC schools cut Men's Athletic programs as even the mighty Gamecocks with all their SEC money, only have 8 Men's sports. The women have 11 sports including Beach Volleyball, which seems odd as I have been to Columbia and don't recall any beaches?

I jest of course, but the point is despite all the "so-called money" from Football, the SEC schools seem to reinvest all that same money back into salaries of Football so virtually all the SEC schools have limited men's programs and requisite Title IX women's programs to equal out the football 85 scholarships.
Tennessee 7 men's, 9 women's
Texas A&M 8 men's, 10 women's
LSU 8 men's, 11 women's
Mizzou 8 men's, 10 women's
Georgia 8 men's, 11 women's
Ole Miss 7 men's, 9 women's
Miss State 6 men's, 8 women's
Alabama 7 men's, 10 women's
Florida 8 men's, 11 women's
Vanderbilt 6 men's, 9 women's
Arkansas 7 men's, 10 women's
Kentucky 10 men's, 12 women's
Auburn 7 men's, 10 women's

UConn 7 men's, 12 women's, (they just cut Men's swimming).

So yeah, it is a little bit disingenuous that so many of your colleagues want to tout this "football" money but yet, it stays "football money"...much to the dismay of the many non-revenue sports that could and should benefit with the distribution-like men's swimming, water polo, wrestling, men's soccer, men's and women's lacrosse...

For the record, the NCAA has sanctioned 16 men's sports, 18 women's sports and 3 co-ed sports. Stanford participates in the most with 16 Men's and 19 Women's. Some of these sports are not sanctioned by the NCAA-like men's rowing.
But Dawn’s salary is higher than our football coach. So, changing we South Carolina” to we “SEC” and making an argument about the SEC in general is a bit disingenuous.

We filled a then-75,000 seat stadium and made tv money as an independent with strong scheduling before we joined the SEC. that’s why they invited us. And the SECN/ESPN loves Dawn’s WBB programming (and scheduling). WBB and baseball might be considered slot fillers - but slot fillers have value to contracts.

And YES we love what UConn has done for us in terms of scheduling. Thank you Geno. Hate us DBB. We love you.

Reaction Score
I believe SEC FB money has greatly enriched many WBB teams In that conference. Mulkey to the SEC is latest example.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Football drives the athletic departments. It is up to the other programs to mitigate their losses. South Carolina does this in WBB by lower prices but heavy on the sales on the game day end. The average 12,000 fans eat and drink plus buy paraphernalia. I think what they do is very smart on that end.

Reaction Score
Football drives the athletic departments. It is up to the other programs to mitigate their losses. South Carolina does this in WBB by lower prices but heavy on the sales on the game day end. The average 12,000 fans eat and drink plus buy paraphernalia. I think what they do is very smart on that end.
MBB is also profitable. That and FB pay for everything in college athletics, as no other teams in any sports make positive net profit from their operations.

The fact that SEC schools give much of that profit back to FB is a moot point if they are bringing in enough profit to help finance the other teams, like WBB. In WBB the SEC has overage profits that fund the sport such that they can spend more than others to acquire coaches and build facilities.

Look at the Mulkey hire, and SC keeping Staley. Both are among the highest paid in the sport. SEC FB and MBB revenues absolutely fuel the other sports. SEC looks soon to be in the $100 million per year revenue stream. That so far outpaces many excluding the B1G, all others falling behind fast.

SEC FB is the king of revenue, along with B1G FB.

Reaction Score
Regional Final that was over by the first half. South Carolina has only won twice that's not a rival.
Since when has ND and Tenn been a “thing”?

No women's team turns a profit,

Reaction Score
he's in Duncan. Great location - Halfway between Greenville and Spartanburg. 15 minutes (low traffic) to downtown of either
And right in the center of Clemson country. They don’t even know they have a sport other than football.

Reaction Score
But as @visitingcock noted, the school keeps ticket prices very low to allow boosters to buy in bulk and to give them to youth organizations. So, being the business analyst that I am and the fact I regularly buy UConn tickets, I suspect the UConn revenue is higher on gate receipts than SC.

But hey, feel free to put up another banner on the being the top attendance school in WCBB. We will retain the banner for most titles...oh wait, we already have 11 so I guess we don't need 1 stating we have the most banners...
Curious, what is the price of a season ticket to UConn games?

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, yes, SC has led the NCAA WCBB in attendance the past 6 years (no data for 20-21). Prior to that, in 2014, Tennessee led the category (SC was 10th at 6,371) and it was the last of 11 straight years (2004-2014) they led the country only broken in 2003 when UConn led the country. Tennessee also led the country for 3 years '00, '01 and '02. The 2000 year was the first year listed for Attendance. Tennessee had by far the highest average of 15,510 in 2001. They also broke 15,000 in 2006 with 15,356. SC's highest average was 14,364 in 2016 and they had 12,218 in 2020 and 10,406 in 2019.

But as @visitingcock noted, the school keeps ticket prices very low to allow boosters to buy in bulk and to give them to youth organizations. So, being the business analyst that I am and the fact I regularly buy UConn tickets, I suspect the UConn revenue is higher on gate receipts than SC.

But hey, feel free to put up another banner on the being the top attendance school in WCBB. We will retain the banner for most titles...oh wait, we already have 11 so I guess we don't need 1 stating we have the most banners...
Sec does a good job with all their sports. Incoming is Oklahom and Texas too, those should be 2 tournament teams. Conference is just going to get stronger and stronger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Illini98

Top Bottom