Sources: Kevin Ollie starts contract talks with UConn but hasn't ruled out NBA | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sources: Kevin Ollie starts contract talks with UConn but hasn't ruled out NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was going to keep it a secret for as long as possible but....my book is almost done...here's the cover with my stage name. I'm thinking best seller for sure. ;)

cov_boneyard.jpg

Reaction Score
I was going to keep it a secret for as long as possible but....my book is almost done...here's the cover with my stage name. I'm thinking best seller for sure. ;)

cov_boneyard.jpg

which one is Fishy?

U

UCONNfan1

If the Squid can turn down offers from the NBA, being the slimy, manipulative, sleazeball that he is, I have no doubt that Ollie would, and will as well. Frankly, I'd be very disappointed in Ollie if he did jump at this time, and I also think if he's REALLY using the "pay me more or I might leave" card, my respect for him would decrease.

I see Ollie as a ethical, upfront, honest guy. "Pay me more because of what I just accomplished and deserve it" is a far cry from "Pay me more or else I will leave". I see him as the former rather than the latter...

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Hoiberg just got a bump to $2.6M, and like KO he's coveted by NBA teams because of his NBA background and coaching acumen. Jax's salary shouldn't really come into play when discussing what KO might get.
I agree. But a range of Shaka Smart's contract at $1.5 million (at VCU, a non-P5 school) to Hoiberg is a reasonable expectation. UConn doesn't have quite as rosy a financial picture as Ia. St. so around $2 million-2.2 sounds fair.

Reaction Score
I agree. But a range of Shaka Smart's contract at $1.5 million (at VCU, a non-P5 school) to Hoiberg is a reasonable expectation. UConn doesn't have quite as rosy a financial picture as Ia. St. so around $2 million-2.2 sounds fair.
Absolutely not, that's a good way to make Ollie feel undervalued and steer him to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Regardless how much his new contract pays him, it is certain to include an escape clause that let's him leave for the NBA at some point. It may require a buyout, but the option to leave will exist.

Reaction Score
Buzz in L.A. Area is that K.O. Is not considered to be on the top 2-3 list at the present time. There is recognition and consideration of the fact that he has now established roots in CT and is basking in his well -deserved glory ( and $). He is considered a very good pro prospect if he maintains momentum at UCONN. Being only 41 a couple of local writers have even said that he would be a viable candidate in 3-4 years after the next Laker coach flames out in the post - Kobe years (not too many optimists on the Lakers wagon). Other voices out here doubt he would leave UCONN for any other team over the next 3-5 years. But no doubt Ollie is well- regarded in SoCal as a former local.

Reaction Score
Buzz in L.A. Area is that K.O. Is not considered to be on the top 2-3 list at the present time. There is recognition and consideration of the fact that he has now established roots in CT and is basking in his well -deserved glory ( and $). He is considered a very good pro prospect if he maintains momentum at UCONN. Being only 41 a couple of local writers have even said that he would be a viable candidate in 3-4 years after the next Laker coach flames out in the post - Kobe years (not too many optimists on the Lakers wagon). Other voices out here doubt he would leave UCONN for any other team over the next 3-5 years. But no doubt Ollie is well- regarded in SoCal as a former local.
Appreciate the intel. I get how Ollie coming home to LA to coach the Lakers makes for a nice story, I just never felt it made sense really for either side at this point in time. Truth is, the Laker job isn't a really good one right now. Not with the current talent and Kobe's contract. The real threat I believe is OKC. If they lose tonight, Brooks has to be on the way out. With Ollie's relationships with Presti, KD, and the entire organization, this would make more sense. Either way, I don't see KO leaving. He is far to loyal and for once is probably loving the stability. Of course, like always, the x-factor is Calhoun.

Reaction Score
There will be a $3 Kevin Ollie deserves a "raise" fee added to every ticket purchase next year to subsidize this.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm not saying he should come back. I am saying that he could improve his draft stock by coming back, which counters the writer's point.

Yeah, but the writer never said he couldn't help his stock, just that it's not the certainty that some think. "Oh, he can just come back and be 'the man' and be more consistent and he'll be a first rounder/lottery pick!" Well, there's just as good a chance he gets hurt or doesn't show more consistency and his stock drops. Parrish used recent data to show that.

Not saying that was your argument, but there were plenty of people here who thought Deandre made a bad decision, when it's clear looking after reading the story that he didn't.

Reaction Score
Anyone know where Kevin's wife is from? I would expect to be part of any decision.

C

Chief00

UConn will start at $2m and Ollie at over $3m and meet between $2.3m and $2.7m.

C

Chief00

That's what your sources are telling you?

Warde will want more incentive driven; KO more guaranteed. KO will win that. To the clueless, that doesn't mean it won't be both but KO will get his guaranteed threshold - what that exactly is - I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

One final comment and then quite frankly it's on to doing other things.
Ollie's first contract was about getting the job (although on a trial basis), his second contract was about some stability and security, contract number 3 will be about guaranteed money.

Reaction Score
According to a tweet by Zagoria: Thunder would be interested in Ollie if Brooks is let go. Therefore everyone should thanks ZBo for being suspended. GO THUNDER!!! Not only do you have 3 Huskies on on the team but also need you to win so you don't try to steal our KO!

Reaction Score
This just in..............every NBA team until KO finally makes the jump will have interest in him whenever a job opportunity becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom