Sources: Kevin Ollie starts contract talks with UConn but hasn't ruled out NBA | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sources: Kevin Ollie starts contract talks with UConn but hasn't ruled out NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

On the other hand, Shabazz Napier.

DD was basically playing the best ball of his career at UConn at the very end. If he had done that his entire senior year, you can't tell me that he wouldn't have risen well high in the first round.

Actually I thought he played his best ball at the end of 2012/2013 season.

Reaction Score
Actually I thought he played his best ball at the end of 2012/2013 season.

We'll disagree. I never saw him go off the dribble and slash like this year. He had the same mid-range game, and he shot the 3 better than ever before this year. Not to mention his defense.

Reaction Score
How short our collective memory is. Do you remember how DD finished his sophomore season? He was a beast. And all of us projected that into a full junior season and thankfully it happened when it mattered most but you can't say that the DD of the regular season was an improvement over how he finished his sophomore year. We have no idea how his finish to his junior year would have translated into next year.

He was injured during the middle of this year. Otherwise, he would have pulled it together. And no Deandre wasn't shooting 3s like that at all last year.

But the fact that we don't know what Daniels would have given us next year doesn't disprove what I was saying at all. The thesis is that a player cannot improve his stock senior season. If Daniels plays like that throughout his senior year, he improves his stock. That was my entire point.

Reaction Score
You having a bad life or something?
Well I have been subjected to the atrocity that is reading your posts. I feel like that alone deserves a Sally Struthers commercial complete with super sad music. Luckily I can put you on ignore without costing someone $.99 a day, so I think I'll be able to struggle through.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Not going to add another click on the link but there are two big pink polka dotted elephants in the room.

1) as has been pointed out, you don't say I'm not going to take that other job that would offer a lot more money - now let's negotiate. I think it's best that everyone know there is a big time offer potentially out there and you proceed accordingly so that you make a deal that pays him what he is worth and if you don't, you lose. I don't want to bankrupt the athletic department, but I want him paid what he's worth and to show him we want him around for a long time.

2) The concept that he may never have a better opportunity and it may be luck that got him this far and he could flame out. Well, if that's the case, where would you rather want to find that out if you are Kevin Ollie - with the Lakers where you are gone if you can't produce in two years or at UConn where they are going to give you a lot more time to develop, particularly because you just brought home the 4th trophy. It's just a flawed argument. He's either good enough where he can have a long career here and then in the NBA or he's not good enough in which case he won't have a long career in the NBA but he can still have a relatively long career here.

Finally with his personality and general overall cool factor, he can recruit better than 95% of schools out there and simply put more talent on the floor which can hide any weaknesses while he develops.

Plus he has kids including a 13 year old daughter - I think after being a road warrior for over a decade in the NBA, he probably loves being close to home 80% of the time.

He's not going anywhere but pay that man his money!

Reaction Score
Well I have been subjected to the atrocity that is reading your posts. I feel like that alone deserves a Sally Struthers commercial complete with super sad music. Luckily I can put you on ignore without costing someone $.99 a day, so I think I'll be able to struggle through.

Ok you obviously have some issues LOL.

Reaction Score
It's a shame your sarcasm meter is broken.

Wow...I forgot I posted that and was reading this thread from the last post, backwards. I was wondering what the issue was between you and the creatively screen named 7774 and then came across his response to my post.

Yes, we have a winner and yes, 7774 needs to understand sarcasm when it presents itself. :rolleyes:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A quick, back of the envelop calc. (based on NBA veteran minimum salaries) shows that Ollie has made about $12 Mil gross. Reduce that by 10% for professional fees (agent/lawyer/accountant) and then reduce it again by 30% of the gross (for taxes. this is conservative because any one with an effective rate that close to the nominal rate should fire their accountant) and Ollie still netted about $7 Mil over the last 14 years. Assuming Ollie has his financial house in order, does that sound like a man with no other options? If he were to take the Lakers' job, highly doubt he moves across the street from Smoky and Craig (Before you all find a hair across your a55, please note this is a movie reference).

KO made about $25 million from salary during his NBA tenure. Doesn't include extra curricular stuff.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You know, I should have just checked Basketball-reference. He made $20.13M. Doesnt take anything away from my original post.
KO made about $25 million from salary during his NBA tenure. Doesn't include extra curricular stuff.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
On the other hand, Shabazz Napier.

DD was basically playing the best ball of his career at UConn at the very end. If he had done that his entire senior year, you can't tell me that he wouldn't have risen well high in the first round.

Yeah, if he did, he would probably be a first-rounder. Big "if" there, though.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Midnight Run is a great, great movie. RIP Dennis Farina.

This thread has become a fist fight! I'm cool with sitting back and watching but had to agree with the Midnight Run love. For some reason this always makes me laugh:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

You're being kind of a d-ck so I donated $100 in your name to Sally Struther's "Child Fund". Man up and take Sports and Jimmy off ignore. This is a duck-ng college message board for !

upload_2014-5-2_23-7-31.png

Reaction Score
Yeah, if he did, he would probably be a first-rounder. Big "if" there, though.

I'm not saying he should come back. I am saying that he could improve his draft stock by coming back, which counters the writer's point.

Reaction Score
Why because he has a differing opinion? His 2 cents are worth the same as yours.

Appreciate your support, but the smiley face is usually a give away. He was busting me because, more than once, I've sent that message to a few BB fans, while on the FB forum. :D

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
He was injured during the middle of this year. Otherwise, he would have pulled it together. And no Deandre wasn't shooting 3s like that at all last year.

But the fact that we don't know what Daniels would have given us next year doesn't disprove what I was saying at all. The thesis is that a player cannot improve his stock senior season. If Daniels plays like that throughout his senior year, he improves his stock. That was my entire point.

They key word there is if. And nobody will know for sure what would have happened. I don't think the article was speaking in absolutes but in general. I have no problem with DD's decision and we'll never know what would happen in an alternate universe.

Reaction Score
Wow...I forgot I posted that and was reading this thread from the last post, backwards. I was wondering what the issue was between you and the creatively screen named 7774 and then came across his response to my post.

Yes, we have a winner and yes, 7774 needs to understand sarcasm when it presents itself. :rolleyes:

Why would one assume sarcasm with the amount of idiocy here?

Reaction Score
They key word there is if. And nobody will know for sure what would have happened. I don't think the article was speaking in absolutes but in general. I have no problem with DD's decision and we'll never know what would happen in an alternate universe.

I don't have a problem with the decision either. I just think clearly he could improve his stock.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with the decision either. I just think clearly he could improve his stock.

Can't believe you needed all these follow-up posts to get some of these people to understand your point.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You know, I should have just checked Basket-reference. He made $20.13M. Doesnt take anything away from my original post.

I think that figure may have included endorsements/etc. Of course it doesn't take anything away from your OP; it strengthens the point. I thought that was implied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom