OT: - Sources: Coach K plans to retire after season (merged thread) | The Boneyard

OT: Sources: Coach K plans to retire after season (merged thread)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, the winningest coach in Division I men's basketball history who has led the Blue Devils to five national championships in his 40 seasons, plans to retire after the 2021-2022 season, sources confirmed to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Wednesday.

Associate head coach Jon Scheyer has agreed to become the next head coach at Duke, sources told ESPN. He will spend the 2021-2022 season as coach-in-waiting, and take over after that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been a fan of North Carolina men's basketball since Dean Smith. Now that Roy retired it took the fun out of the UNC vs Duke game. I am surprised that both schools hired unproven assistants from within even though there are some great young coaching candidates outside. A brand new era is starting for both schools.

Reaction Score
Just read on ESPN.
To be officially announced tomorrow,

Reaction Score
Dont know bout y’all but my application is ready!! Lol

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Coach K, a class act who did it right. He will go down as one of the best. While I no longer watch much MCBB when I did he was one of my favorites.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
More threads (2) on this WBB forum about this than it is on the Duke WBB forum (zero) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I have been a fan of North Carolina men's basketball since Dean Smith. Now that Roy retired it took the fun out of the UNC vs Duke game. I am surprised that both schools hired unproven assistants from within even though there are some great young coaching candidates outside. A brand new era is starting for both schools.
Both hires prove that loyalty will be rewarded. From a financial point of view, both hires might cost less than hiring outside talent.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Coach K, a class act who did it right.
If I did it right you mean never get punished, then yeah, he did it right.

Corey Maggette admitted taking cash from a booster Despite fears they would have to give back over $200,000 in NCAA Tournament revenue and stripped of their Final Four appearance in 2000, Duke was never punished by the NCAA after an investigation determined Duke coaches were unaware of the payments. Did the NCAA forget about the failure to monitor penalty?

A 2003 New Orleans Times-Picayune investigation revealed that former Duke guard Chris Duhon's mother “landed a job working for a Duke booster; co-workers say the job opening was never posted and that Harper was overpaid and lacked qualifications.”

In 2010, former Duke player Lance Thomas was sued for failing to repay an alleged $67,800 credit to a jeweler. The NCAA did not find any violations after an investigation Even though the jeweler was a known Duke booster. The question they never asked is how a supposedly penniless student athlete was going to a jewelry store and buying‘s $90 thousand dollars of jewelry? Who would give him that kind of credit? Where did he get the $30,000 that he actually put down? Yep, that’s right he owed $67,000 because he bought $97,000 worth of jewelry and only put down a $30,000 deposit. Nothing suspicious about that is there?

Greg Newton was suspended from school for two semesters in 1995 after he was found guilty of cheating on an exam. He returned to the team.

Two years later Ricky Price also received a two-semester suspension due to academic issues. He also returned to the team.

Those are just a few, I probably could come up with more if I really thought about it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good thing Duke and UNC have never done anything as egregious as falling short of the APR limit - then you'd see some fireworks from the NCAA!

CL82

Reaction Score
Good thing Duke and UNC have never done anything as egregious as falling short of the APR limit - then you'd see some fireworks from the NCAA!
Well only if they changed the rules retroactively and ignored current results to cause them to fail.

Reaction Score
I for one am elated that there have been no violations or problems ever with the UCONN mens program. What was that saying? Something about stones?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Former Duke player Corey Maggette admitted taking cash from a booster Despite fears they would have to give back over $200,000 in NCAA Tournament revenue and stripped of their Final Four appearance in 2000, Duke was never punished by the NCAA after an investigation determined Duke coaches were unaware of the payments. Did they forget about the failure to monitor penalty?

A 2003 New Orleans Times-Picayune investigation revealed that former Duke guard Chris Duhon's mother “landed a job working for a Duke booster; co-workers say the job opening was never posted and that Harper was overpaid and lacked qualifications.”

In 2010, former Duke player Lance Thomas was sued for failing to repay an alleged $67,800 credit to a jeweler. The NCAA did not find any violations after an investigation Even though the jeweler was a known Duke booster. I the question they never asked is how is he’s supposedly penniless student athlete going to a jewelry store and buying‘s $90 thousand dollars of jewelry? Where did he get the $30,000 that he put down?

Greg Newton was suspended from school for two semesters in 1995 after he was found guilty of cheating on an exam. He returned to the team.

Ricky Price also received a two-semester suspension in 1997 due to academic issues. He also returned to the team.
When Quinn Snyder got cited by the NCAA for cheating when he was coaching at Mizzou, he said he was only doing the same things Duke was doing when he was an assistant there. The NCAA never checked Duke on that matter.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
K has had an unbelievably amazing career and has been the generational coach for men's basketball similar to how Pat/Geno have been for women's. Duke has been a steady force for 35+ years while men's basketball has drastically changed over that time frame with tons of parity and roster turnover on an annual basis due to NBA early entry. Not to mention the addition of the 3 point line, kids bolting to the NBA earlier, the one and done era, and the social media movement. One of the best to ever roam the sidelines.

Reaction Score
Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, the winningest coach in Division I men's basketball history who has led the Blue Devils to five national championships in his 40 seasons, plans to retire after the 2021-2022 season, sources confirmed to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Wednesday.

Associate head coach Jon Scheyer has agreed to become the next head coach at Duke, sources told ESPN. He will spend the 2021-2022 season as coach-in-waiting, and take over after that.

I enrolled in graduate school at Duke in Sept 1979, eight months before Duke hired Krzyzewsi. It's been a long time: he's not only had success as a coach, but a lasting influence on Duke athletics, USA basketball and college basketball.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Corey Maggette admitted taking cash from a booster Despite fears they would have to give back over $200,000 in NCAA Tournament revenue and stripped of their Final Four appearance in 2000, Duke was never punished by the NCAA after an investigation determined Duke coaches were unaware of the payments. Did the NCAA forget about the failure to monitor penalty?

In 2010, former Duke player Lance Thomas was sued for failing to repay an alleged $67,800 credit to a jeweler. The NCAA did not find any violations after an investigation Even though the jeweler was a known Duke booster. The question they never asked is how a supposedly penniless student athlete was going to a jewelry store and buying‘s $90 thousand dollars of jewelry? Who would give him that kind of credit? Where did he get the $30,000 that he actually put down? Yep, that’s right he owed $67,000 because he bought $97,000 worth of jewelry and only put down a $30,000 deposit. Nothing suspicious about that is there?

Two years later Ricky Price also received a two-semester suspension due to academic issues. He also returned to the team.

Those are just a few, I probably could come up with more if I really thought about it.
46 years with eyes all over his program, short sighted to think most majors haven't had boosters, alumni or crazed fans go outside the lines to further a teams interest. Just for instance UCONN MCBB, just to mention one. I will grant that under the letter of the rules coach K may not have had 100% control and knowledge of all actions and info regarding his team. Question, is there any direct evidence coach K was dirty?

CL82

Reaction Score
. Question, is there any direct evidence coach K was dirty?
Other evidence, right? You mean, other than the things I listed in my post above? The answer is yes.

Now I grant you, to the best of my knowledge and belief, no one has a video tape of Coach K handing a recruit and envelope full of cash, but then again no one has a video tape of Calipari doing that either.

Reaction Score
Despite my hatred of the Duke men's basketball program, Coach K was one heck of a coach. I wish Coach K nothing but the best this season and going forward. We are losing one of the all-time greats.

Reaction Score
Used to really, really, really dislike Duke hoops.
After listening to Coach K speak and watching several interviews, I had a change of heart.
Still no affinity for Duke, but major, major respect for Coach K.
Class act through and through.
Wish him nothing but the best.

Reaction Score
No Duke haters need to reply.
You would have to hate the Olympic team as well.... Hopefully, that will not happen.

Wishing Coach K a very happy retirement tour in 2021-22, and be free of CoViD issues for a full and uninterupted season!!!!
A 30 win season would be an excellent way to go out with 1200 wins over his 47 year head coaching career.

1200 would be an excellent aimpoint for Stanford vs. UCONN game in three years, with the winner in first place all-time in college basketball, assuming Tara is still coaching. PB as a senior, and the rest of the UCONN allstars crushing Stanford by 30+ points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom