Source: Kevin Ollie believes he deserved one more chance next season (Borges) | The Boneyard

Source: Kevin Ollie believes he deserved one more chance next season (Borges)

Reaction Score

>>One thing is sure: Ollie is not getting his job back. The only issue at hand is money, and whether or not Ollie gets all, some or none of the nearly $11 million left on his contract.<<

>>“If they hire someone, that person goes into the collective bargaining agreement. I don’t know what title he’d have,” Bailey said. “I don’t know if you could have two coaches at the same time. It would be awkward. We’ll see how they proceed with this.”<<

>>“They have to do what they need to do, I suppose,” Bailey said. “They’ve begun their search, that’s their prerogative. But right now, Kevin is suspended with pay. They’re not gonna hire somebody tomorrow or next week. Not until this is said and done.”

Benedict would not comment, but sources at UConn seem to believe the school could make a hire before Ollie’s situation is resolved.<<

(More in article)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

>>One thing is sure: Ollie is not getting his job back. The only issue at hand is money, and whether or not Ollie gets all, some or none of the nearly $11 million left on his contract.<<

>>“If they hire someone, that person goes into the collective bargaining agreement. I don’t know what title he’d have,” Bailey said. “I don’t know if you could have two coaches at the same time. It would be awkward. We’ll see how they proceed with this.”<<

>>“They have to do what they need to do, I suppose,” Bailey said. “They’ve begun their search, that’s their prerogative. But right now, Kevin is suspended with pay. They’re not gonna hire somebody tomorrow or next week. Not until this is said and done.”

Benedict would not comment, but sources at UConn seem to believe the school could make a hire before Ollie’s situation is resolved.<<

(More in article)

Trust me when we want to hire we will. Kevin Ollie isn’t the coach just a suspended state employee. So if we hire someone Ollie can’t interfere anyways.

Reaction Score

(More in article)

Great work by Borges. Glad to hear Kisunas, Matthews and most of the players are taking a wait and see approach.

Reaction Score
Most important piece of this article is that Uconn (and even the union to a small extent) believe we could hire a coach while this process is happening. @upstater seemed to indicate this multiple times when it comes to college employees.

Reaction Score
Wonder who the one player is who might leave

You didn’t take this as a hint?

>>Two days before Ollie’s firing, following the Huskies’ season-ending loss to SMU, leading scorer Jalen Adams said he planned on returning next season. He did, however, note that he “planned on (Ollie) to be back. Hopefully, he’ll be back. I love playing for him.”<<

Reaction Score

>>Two days before Ollie’s firing, following the Huskies’ season-ending loss to SMU, leading scorer Jalen Adams said he planned on returning next season. He did, however, note that he “planned on (Ollie) to be back. Hopefully, he’ll be back. I love playing for him.”<<
I think that’s just paranoia, not a hint.

Reaction Score
because of injuries? Am I wrong thinking we only had one guy injured this season? One injured player should not equal a second losing season. I mean, I'll give him last year. Not much you can do when your entire team is injured. But this year? It smacks of incompetence.

Last edited:

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Journalism today. ...’according to a source with knowledge of the situation.’ Dude writes an article after reading a Chief post Wtf
Borges is the best we got.

Other than Jacobs groundbreaking stuff with Geno, of course.

C

Chief00

Journalism today. ...’according to a source with knowledge of the situation.’ Dude writes an article after reading a Chief post Wtf

That’s true about my source on this.

Reaction Score
Hearing a little buzz that Akinjo could be won over by the right coach. Sent my son texting his AAU teammates that have connections to James and it took one day to get results. I’m not certain he’a gone. Exact words, “he knows UConn fans were excited to have him, he feels bad”. He’s open to us recruiting him again. I hope we stay on him.

C

Chief00

Hearing a little buzz that Akinjo could be won over by the right coach. Sent my son texting his AAU teammates that have connections to James and it took one day to get results. I’m not certain he’a gone. Exact words, “he knows UConn fans were excited to have him, he feels bad”. He’s open to us recruiting him again. I hope we stay on him.
Chill and supposedly Ricky are all over this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
because of injuries? Am I wrong thinking we only had one guy injured this season? One injured player should not equal a second losing season. I mean, I'll give him last year. Not much you can do when your entire team is injured. But this year? It smacks of incompetence.

Last year only 11 of 13 scholarships were filled. We very easily could have had 2 more healthy players and thus a very good shot at a better record.

Reaction Score
Ollie was a point guard and sold Akinjo on that. Danny Hurley also was a point guard. Ollie likes to play 2 ball handlers in the backcourt. Doesn't Hurley also?

As I said the day Akinjo decommitted, UConn should not let him out of his LOI until the new coach has a chance to re-recruit him. Tell him to sit tight until a new coach is named. If Akinjo still isn't convinced to stick with his commitment to UConn then you give him his release.

Reaction Score
And that is the biggest reason we have to hire a coach as soon as possible without regard to the Ollie situation. Akinjo could make a huge difference. We also have to lock down the other 2 recruits. Even if UConn doesn't let him out of his LOI until a new coach is hired it won't stop other schools from recruiting them.

Reaction Score
One thing I really didn't like is that Ollie rarely took responsibility for the failures of the team. He finally did after the last game of the season when he said he needed to do a better job preparing the team.

“C.V. says it's about the players, but it's about the coaching staff, too,” Ollie said. “How can I get these guys to play better and play together? … We don't want to be here. We don't want to be 14-18. And that's unacceptable and we have to get better in every category, and I'm on the top to evaluate myself. How I can get these guys to play better, how can I get my coaching staff to execute better and we're all in this together. So it's going to be a long evaluation for myself, my coaching staff, my team.”

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Ah sorry, I didn't catch the bit in between the quotes. That's very telling. Would be strange for him to declare given he probably wouldn't get drafted

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
By getting the right coach and retaining some staff , we could easily get this kid back and more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom