OT: - Soup Campbell | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Soup Campbell

Reaction Score
Anyone remember Bill Battle and Ted Hathaway from Middletown? Spectacular athletes, mid 60s to early 70s.
I would have liked this post a dozen times if allowed! Was going to post this myself. Don't forget Wilbur Pope as part of the supporting cast, he had a jump shot with very little arc that would still get nothing but net.
Pound for pound and all around I have never seen a player that could do what Teddy could at his size and with bad knees. All facets of the game he was a man among boys his senior year. Scoring, rebounding, ball handling baseline to baseline through defenders, not because he did not want to share the ball. But quite often there was nobody on the floor that could move at his pace with or without the ball.

Reaction Score
I would have liked this post a dozen times if allowed! Was going to post this myself. Don't forget Wilbur Pope as part of the supporting cast, he had a jump shot with very little arc that would still get nothing but net.
Pound for pound and all around I have never seen a player that could do what Teddy could at his size and with bad knees. All facets of the game he was a man among boys his senior year. Scoring, rebounding, ball handling baseline to baseline through defenders, not because he did not want to share the ball. But quite often there was nobody on the floor that could move at his pace with or without the ball.
I think Wilbur was between those 2. But it was almost 50 years ago.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about that. Back in the late 60s/70s when I was still playing rec league level and after the battle with peritonitis left me unable to play for a couple years, I went to a lot of HS games - especially the MBIAC and state tourneys. I think 76 was the best year. John Garris led Bassick (my wife's HS) and Mike Gminski led Masuk. They had an epic regular season battle won by Masuk, but Bassick won the MBIAC championship. Then Harding won the State Class L championship, led in the tourney by Phil Murphy - a forward who might've been 5-11, and skinny as a rail, but had the longest arms ever, and could jump like a kangaroo. He could stuff it with 2 hands from a standstill under the rim. Gave up 8 or 9 inches and probably 40 or 50 pounds to Garris, but outplayed him in the championship.

Nowadays, I couldn't pick a CT highschool star out of a lineup if I had to. SIGH.

I went to Bridgeport Central. I never saw anyone who get off the ground like Phil Murphy. Saw him block a Gminski shot. Not sure they were led by Murphy, that team also had Cannon, Mathews, and McKay. Bagley may have been a freshman.

Reaction Score
I remember Curvan Lewis. Another Soup type of player.
I want to go back to what would be the middle 60's, i.e. 65-66-67. Hartford Public had, what was called the best team in Connecticut. As you know, they played in the old CDC, Public, Weaver, Bulkley, East Hartford, Norwich Free Academy, Fitch (Groton), and New London. This was before New Britian, Pulaski joined a bit later. Anyway, Public had a great team. One player, in particular, Bob Nash. About 6-8, and awesome. They had two others, but names escape me. I think Steve Waterman, and maybe......MAYBE Doug Wardlow, but don't quote me. Anyway Public played NFA, in the first round of the CIAC tourney. Back then the early round were played in sites, approx 1/2 way between the competing teams. Well anyway Public and NFA, were scheduled to play in Willimantic, at Caise Gymnasium. I say "scheduled" because when both teams came out for warm ups, it was found that the floor, which had been treated with something to make it look "pretty" turned out to make the floor the equivalent to the ice rink at the Old New Haven Arena. Players were slipping and sliding all over the place. One Public player went up for a dunk, durning warm ups, and nearly wiped out. Fans were asked to walk on the floor and try to scuff up the floor to make it playable. TRUE STORY. By this time NFA and Public left the floor. The game was postponed, and ended up being played at E.O. Smith, in Storrs. Anyway, Public got to the finals, and faced Wilbur Cross. Time has erased my memory, but Public was the favored, yet Cross ended up winning the game and the CIAC tourney. Just the rantings of an old fan.

Glad you brought up Bob Nash. He went to Hawaii and did pretty well. I remember they were a top 20 team one year and had UConn on the schedule. At that time, it was a big deal to be playing a top 20 team. Just to add a couple of names that I haven't seen mentioned yet but the Mahorn brothers, Owen and Ricky were also a bid deal in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Correct. Vandewegh was the Bruins’ leading scorer that season but missed a key layup. In the game’s final few minutes to tip the contest to the ‘ville.
The Louisville Doctor Dunkenstein, Darrel Griffith ! I saw him the '80 NCAA Regionals in Houston and he just flew to the basket from the foul line!

Reaction Score
My votes go to Calvin Murphy, who could also twirl a mean baton and sometimes did at half time, and Wilkey Gilmore!

Reaction Score
My votes go to Calvin Murphy, who could also twirl a mean baton and sometimes did at half time, and Wilkey Gilmore!
You win! He is the only Hall of Famer in the discussion.

The Calvin Murphy All Stars barnstormed local high schools in CT. Saw a couple of things that stick with me; underhand foul shots, his baton twirling at half time and him dunking from standing under the basket. Also saw the Wes Bialosuknia All Starts play again the Howie Dickenman All Stars. This was back in the time that if you liked basketball, you went to see it.

Reaction Score
Glad you brought up Bob Nash. He went to Hawaii and did pretty well. I remember they were a top 20 team one year and had UConn on the schedule. At that time, it was a big deal to be playing a top 20 team. Just to add a couple of names that I haven't seen mentioned yet but the Mahorn brothers, Owen and Ricky were also a bid deal in Hartford.

I believe the Mahorn brothers played with a guard Shorty Davis who was pretty damn good himself. Saw them at Maloney in a tourney game when I was younger.

Reaction Score
You win! He is the only Hall of Famer in the discussion.

The Calvin Murphy All Stars barnstormed local high schools in CT. Saw a couple of things that stick with me; underhand foul shots, his baton twirling at half time and him dunking from standing under the basket. Also saw the Wes Bialosuknia All Starts play again the Howie Dickenman All Stars. This was back in the time that if you liked basketball, you went to see it.

Yeah saw Wes with Holowaty, Wrubala they were fun games for youngsters like us at the time. A lot of Huskies and other recognizable CT HS stars as well.

Reaction Score
Also from Public were Osee, Dwight Tolliver. Doward Tisdale

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I went to Bridgeport Central. I never saw anyone who get off the ground like Phil Murphy. Saw him block a Gminski shot. Not sure they were led by Murphy, that team also had Cannon, Mathews, and McKay. Bagley may have been a freshman.
He didn't lead them in scoring, but in my mind, he was the catalyst on that team. I don't believe they win the Class L title without him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom