OT: - Soup Campbell | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Soup Campbell

Reaction Score
Doug Melody was East Catholic.

Melody also a lot older then Ulysses.

A guy not mentioned who I saw play vs my brothers Maloney team in the tourney, Jack Phelan the former UHar coach went to St Francis PA I believe for college - undersized power forward type but real tough, good springs payed for a very good Northwest catholic team in the early 70's with Chuck Harding another nice player.

Reaction Score
I saw Foster in high school, he played at St. Thomas Aquinas in NB when they had a nice run. Ended up at UCLA and made a Final Four I believe.

They got beat by Louisville in the championship game in 1980. If I remember correctly, they had Kiki Vanderway who was a senior, and a bunch of talented freshmen led by Hot Rod Foster. At the time he was known as the fastest player in the game.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
The Hofstra game may have been the best comeback win in UConn history. Whelton had an incredible game.
Came back from down 12 with about 7 minutes left—with no 3-point shot and no shot clock.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
They got beat by Louisville in the championship game in 1980. If I remember correctly, they had Kiki Vanderway who was a senior, and a bunch of talented freshmen led by Hot Rod Foster. At the time he was known as the fastest player in the game.
Correct. Vandewegh was the Bruins’ leading scorer that season but missed a key layup. In the game’s final few minutes to tip the contest to the ‘ville.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I saw Calvin play in Danbury. He was totally amazing. The Hatters were thrilled to hold him under 40 that evening! I also saw Dean Memminger play in a HS tourney at the Danbury War Memorial gym. Another stellar HS player in those days.
Dean the Dream Meminger. RIP.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember the heralded Tom Roy from South Windsor? Saw him score 37.
Uconn was in the running for him but he selected Tennessee.
I agree with others that Calvin Murphy was the best to come out of Ct. super John Williamson was probably 2nd best. Went to a game at Hamden where he lit it up for 50.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Johnny Egan played for the 1959 or 1960 Weaver New England championship team and Providence and then 11 years in the NBA. He was the head coach of the Houston Rockets for a few years. With the exception of Super John, Egan had a much better career than all those New Haven guys.
Actually, I think it might have been 1957. He was gone by 2 years when I was a freshman in 1959. He lived on my street by about 3 blocks away. Not only was he a great player, but also male model handsome and he inspired jealousy.

2 Egan stories. When he was a senior at Weaver. They were unbeaten large school state champs. Then they went to the old great New England Championships held at old Boston Garden. The format was the large school champ and runner up from CT, the western and eastern MA champs, and the state champs from the other 4 states. CT dominated. Weaver got to the champ game against the favored team from near Boston. The game was radioed on WTIC with amazing George Ehrlich doing the play by play. The game was tied at every quarter but one where Weaver was one behind. With about 10-15 seconds left, and down by 2, Egan stole the ball and was fouled before he could break away. He made both of a 1 and 1 to force OT. They played 3 minutes and Weaver and Egan went nuts. They scored 20 in OT, Egan broke the tournament scoring record and Weaver won by a dozen. George Ehrlich sounded like he was going to have a heart attack.

Egan’s senior year at PC, they got to the finals of the NIT which was at least as prestigious as the NCAAs back then. He had been unstoppable the whole tournament. In the final, he was double and triple teamed all game, leaving many openings for his backcourt mate Vinnie Ernst, who, to his credit, took advantage. . Ernst was liked, Egan was not and Ernst got the tournament MVP when Egan had been easily the dominant player.

He was about 6’, a great ball handler, passer and shooter. Until a knee injury affected him, he could dunk. I don’t know that he was as good as either Murphy or Super John who had more notable pro careers, but Egan was great. He coached in the NBA for a while. Once in a while he still contributes to the Weaver High Alum face book page. One of his unbeaten teammates did play for UConn. Not a star but steady. Bob Countryman, a wonderful guy also active on the FB page.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Melody also a lot older then Ulysses.

A guy not mentioned who I saw play vs my brothers Maloney team in the tourney, Jack Phelan the former UHar coach went to St Francis PA I believe for college - undersized power forward type but real tough, good springs payed for a very good Northwest catholic team in the early 70's with Chuck Harding another nice player.
Doug and I started at UConn together. So he isn’t that old.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about that. Back in the late 60s/70s when I was still playing rec league level and after the battle with peritonitis left me unable to play for a couple years, I went to a lot of HS games - especially the MBIAC and state tourneys. I think 76 was the best year. John Garris led Bassick (my wife's HS) and Mike Gminski led Masuk. They had an epic regular season battle won by Masuk, but Bassick won the MBIAC championship. Then Harding won the State Class L championship, led in the tourney by Phil Murphy - a forward who might've been 5-11, and skinny as a rail, but had the longest arms ever, and could jump like a kangaroo. He could stuff it with 2 hands from a standstill under the rim. Gave up 8 or 9 inches and probably 40 or 50 pounds to Garris, but outplayed him in the championship.

Nowadays, I couldn't pick a CT highschool star out of a lineup if I had to. SIGH.
I remember New London's team of '74 or '75 was the biggest high school team I ever saw. They had Delagrange, Winston and Royster all 6' 8" on the back and the guards were 6' 4". They beat Mike McKay's team in '75 for the L Title. Played in the old Capital District Conference.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I remember New London's team of '74 or '75 was the biggest high school team I ever saw. They had Delagrange, Winston and Royster all 6' 8" on the back and the guards were 6' 4". They beat Mike McKay's team in '75 for the L Title. Played in the old Capital District Conference.
Delagrange was a good rebounder at UConn but flunked off the team in early ‘80.

Reaction Score
Did he play with Doug Melody at NW? Doug was the starting point guard at UConn in the '70, '71 and '72 seasons. His specialty was dribbling the ball when the four-corners offense was still legal, before the days of the shot clock. I think that UConn won a Yankee Conference championship game against URI with both schools scoring in the teens.
Doug Melody played at East Catholic, not Northwest Catholic.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember the heralded Tom Roy from South Windsor? Saw him score 37.
Uconn was in the running for him but he selected Tennessee.
I agree with others that Calvin Murphy was the best to come out of Ct. super John Williamson was probably 2nd best. Went to a game at Hamden where he lit it up for 50.
Tom Roy played at South Windsor, and went to Maryland. He played against Providence College, the year that they had Ernie D, Marvin Barnes........also now gone, and Kevin Stacom.

Reaction Score
Doug and I started at UConn together. So he isn’t that old.
Doug was in my pledge class at Alpha Sig in 1969 and we lived in the House in Fall '69 & Spring '70. He has to be 67 years old at this point!

Reaction Score
There was also Jim Fitzsimmons, who led Fairfield Prep to a State Championship and the #1 HS team ranking in New England in '69. After first going to Duke, Fitz transferred to Harvard and is still the school’s single season scoring leader. Jim was inducted to the New England Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006

Last edited:

JWILLDADDY101

Sailor2013
Reaction Score
Johnny and his brother Eddie grew up a block away from me on Branford Street. Johnny used to play occasionally at Miss Missel's court on Tower Ave across from MT. Sinai Hospital but most of the time he played in Keney Park.. He was a great, great player who had a pretty long NBA career and a coaching stint with the rockets. He still lives in the Houston area.
Lots to reply to here. I grew up on Baltic St, one block over from the mentioned Rec Center. It was called Blue Hills Rec Center and Miss Missel was the Rec Center Head for many many years. She used to blow a whistle when she saw you doing something wrong and us kids had a saying..."Oh Miss Missel, please don't blow your whistle." That particular court was only a half court but it was all I knew as a kid. I ended up moving and going to high school in West Haven. The best player I ever saw in person was John Williamson. We used to travel to New Haven and play pickup games at Painter Park. John was dominant whenever he showed up. He was unstoppable both driving and never hardly missed from outside. His senior year one of my buddies who went to Hillhouse High told me that they beat Wilbur Cross one game by assigning two guys to cover him at all times and the rest of the team played three against four and still beat Cross. That particular Hillhouse team had a giant name Curvan Lewis who was very good. The best High School Team I ever saw in person was Wilbur Cross during my junior year. Micky Heard and Roland Jones were the big stars, Soup and Jiggy Williamson (John's younger brother) and a guy name George Powell...(who did all the dirty work) were the starting five. When West Haven and Wilbur Cross met for the first time that year Cross was undefeated and West Haven had only one loss...(unexpected to Lee High School and Sly Williams). Cross ended blowing West Haven out by about forty from what I remember. I thought Micky Heard and Roland Jones would be the college stars. Micky Heard was a long armed power forward and Roland Jones was a tall guard who bombed from the outside. I think Micky Heard went to LSU and Roland Jones ended up at Duquesne. Neither was a star. I could see that Soup and Jiggy had potential. That team ended up losing in the semi-finals to Weaver. That game was considered one of the all time great games and was played at Quinnipiac College. After the game a riot broke out and I remember a couple of people got hurt and one got shot. Weaver ended up playing Hartford Public in the final and winning. Wilbur Cross the next year was dominant and Soup and Jiggy were the big stars. Bob Salisbury the coach for Cross recruited and stole a certain player who lived in a Hillhouse zone and that freshman (John Thomas) helped them dominate the next year. I went into the Navy and lost track of high school basketball in Connecticut for many year. For me, nobody can match Super John Williamson.

Reaction Score
Lots to reply to here. I grew up on Baltic St, one block over from the mentioned Rec Center. It was called Blue Hills Rec Center and Miss Missel was the Rec Center Head for many many years. She used to blow a whistle when she saw you doing something wrong and us kids had a saying..."Oh Miss Missel, please don't blow your whistle." That particular court was only a half court but it was all I knew as a kid. I ended up moving and going to high school in West Haven. The best player I ever saw in person was John Williamson. We used to travel to New Haven and play pickup games at Painter Park. John was dominant whenever he showed up. He was unstoppable both driving and never hardly missed from outside. His senior year one of my buddies who went to Hillhouse High told me that they beat Wilbur Cross one game by assigning two guys to cover him at all times and the rest of the team played three against four and still beat Cross. That particular Hillhouse team had a giant name Curvan Lewis who was very good. The best High School Team I ever saw in person was Wilbur Cross during my junior year. Micky Heard and Roland Jones were the big stars, Soup and Jiggy Williamson (John's younger brother) and a guy name George Powell...(who did all the dirty work) were the starting five. When West Haven and Wilbur Cross met for the first time that year Cross was undefeated and West Haven had only one loss...(unexpected to Lee High School and Sly Williams). Cross ended blowing West Haven out by about forty from what I remember. I thought Micky Heard and Roland Jones would be the college stars. Micky Heard was a long armed power forward and Roland Jones was a tall guard who bombed from the outside. I think Micky Heard went to LSU and Roland Jones ended up at Duquesne. Neither was a star. I could see that Soup and Jiggy had potential. That team ended up losing in the semi-finals to Weaver. That game was considered one of the all time great games and was played at Quinnipiac College. After the game a riot broke out and I remember a couple of people got hurt and one got shot. Weaver ended up playing Hartford Public in the final and winning. Wilbur Cross the next year was dominant and Soup and Jiggy were the big stars. Bob Salisbury the coach for Cross recruited and stole a certain player who lived in a Hillhouse zone and that freshman (John Thomas) helped them dominate the next year. I went into the Navy and lost track of high school basketball in Connecticut for many year. For me, nobody can match Super John Williamson.
Yup, 1 hoop but the last time i drove by there were 2. I lived on Litchfield St.

JWILLDADDY101

Sailor2013
Reaction Score
Yup, 1 hoop but the last time i drove by there were 2. I lived on Litchfield St.
Wow. Stepping back in time now. Remember Mayron's Bakery which had the best honey dipped donuts ever....marble and chocolate squares...to kill for....Nolan's Grill...with it's 35 cent hot grinders and pizza...Jensen's....etc. Lot's of good memories growing up there in the 60's. I often wonder what would have happened if they never changed the school zones in 68....lot's to talk about there...but not in this forum. If you ever want to talk about the old neighborhood (Blue Hills) shoot me an email. willjdaddy@yahoo.com

Reaction Score
Doug was in my pledge class at Alpha Sig in 1969 and we lived in the House in Fall '69 & Spring '70. He has to be 67 years old at this point!
Then we know a lot of the same people at a minimum.

Reaction Score
I remember Curvan Lewis. Another Soup type of player.
I want to go back to what would be the middle 60's, i.e. 65-66-67. Hartford Public had, what was called the best team in Connecticut. As you know, they played in the old CDC, Public, Weaver, Bulkley, East Hartford, Norwich Free Academy, Fitch (Groton), and New London. This was before New Britian, Pulaski joined a bit later. Anyway, Public had a great team. One player, in particular, Bob Nash. About 6-8, and awesome. They had two others, but names escape me. I think Steve Waterman, and maybe................MAYBE Doug Wardlow, but don't quote me. Anyway Public played NFA, in the first round of the CIAC tourney. Back then the early round were played in sites, approx 1/2 way between the competing teams. Well anyway Public and NFA, were scheduled to play in Willimantic, at Caise Gymnasium. I say "scheduled" because when both teams came out for warm ups, it was found that the floor, which had been treated with something to make it look "pretty" turned out to make the floor the equivalent to the ice rink at the Old New Haven Arena. Players were slipping and sliding all over the place. One Public player went up for a dunk, durning warm ups, and nearly wiped out. Fans were asked to walk on the floor and try to scuff up the floor to make it playable. TRUE STORY. By this time NFA and Public left the floor. The game was postponed, and ended up being played at E.O. Smith, in Storrs. Anyway, Public got to the finals, and faced Wilbur Cross. Time has erased my memory, but Public was the favored, yet Cross ended up winning the game and the CIAC tourney. Just the rantings of an old fan.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Not as old perhaps as some. But I watched a lot of high school ball in the 80’s and 90’s. My Dad and I want to see Smitty a bunch at Kolbe. He was a machine. Also watched Burrell and Hamden play at Xavier a few times, freak athlete.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom