Sorta off topic: Vandy’s defense getting the thumbs up | The Boneyard

Sorta off topic: Vandy’s defense getting the thumbs up

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know, I know, I‘ll get a frowny face for posting non-UConn article here but it’s Shea! If there’s a former Husky that should know how to play defense, it’s Shea.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It being a pet peeve of mine - nonUConn basketball - I will throw you a
fingerwagging-smiley-emoticon.gif

And a Happy Holidays.

Reaction Score
I know, I know, I‘ll get a frowny face for posting non-UConn article here but it’s Shea! If there’s a former Husky that should know how to play defense, it’s Shea.

Thank you for posting this article. It brought me back to 1997 - 2001 when Shea and Svet used to execute the trap to perfection using the sideline or the center (over and back) line as the third defender.

Reaction Score

Not sure why this is considered non- Husky! Even if Shea takes her Vanderbilt team to the Final Four some day, the top of her resume will always include her days as a UCONN player & coach. And we root for her success because of that!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not sure why this is considered non- Husky! Even if Shea takes her Vanderbilt team to the Final Four some day, the top of her resume will always include her days as a UCONN player & coach. And we root for her success because of that!!
It was sort of tongue in cheek, a little poke at the posting police. Of course Shea is relevant here, as are Carla Berube, Tamika Williams, Brittany Hunter, Nykesha Sales, Tonya Cardoza, Marissa Moseley and all the others on coaching staffs of other teams.

Thanks to @visitingcock for getting the joke

Reaction Score
Interesting article. UConn's defense this year has been OK, but could be better. In the past, Geno trusted his assisstants to develop offensive and defensive strategies for each game. Wonder who is the best creative mind now on the Huskie staff?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Latin = "Who watches the watchers"?
Or “who guards the guards,” the answer to which is, of course, the opposing team’s guards unless there’s been a switch.

Reaction Score
Shea is and was my favorite player of all-time. I remember when she was a freshman and UConn played Tennessee at the Civic Center. Back then, Gampel was sold out and the only way that non-season-ticket holder’s could see games was at the Civic Center. I was lucky enough to go to see her. I remember emailing a friend after the game and commenting that Shea was the real deal. It’s not surprising that Vandy is tough defensively. Until she’s able to recruit, she has to make the most of what she has.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Puppy Love: I well remember that game with LadyVol that you speak of.
Specifically I remember a [typical] Geno remark to Shea at some point early in the game.
I'm sure she did not start but he put her in quite early and her play...understandably in such a big game soon in her
frosh year...wasn't to Geno's liking...maybe too tentative? Anyway in a timeout or some such delay he asked her
'are you scared?' That challenge and Shea's combo of skills and character led to a fine performance [and a good-guys win] when the game resumed....repeated over and over again with unfortunate pauses due to injuries.

I believe she was Final Four MVP in Philly...win over LadyVol in the finals...Ring #2.

Reaction Score
The Good Lord and Covid willing, looking forward to seeing Shea on Feb 13 vs TN.

Reaction Score
Vandy finished nonconf 9-5
I said over/under would be 10 wins. I think they can get a couple but tough road ahead.

Reaction Score
Puppy Love: I well remember that game with LadyVol that you speak of.
Specifically I remember a [typical] Geno remark to Shea at some point early in the game.
I'm sure she did not start but he put her in quite early and her play...understandably in such a big game soon in her
frosh year...wasn't to Geno's liking...maybe too tentative? Anyway in a timeout or some such delay he asked her
'are you scared?' That challenge and Shea's combo of skills and character led to a fine performance [and a good-guys win] when the game resumed....repeated over and over again with unfortunate pauses due to injuries.

I believe she was Final Four MVP in Philly...win over LadyVol in the finals...Ring #2.
Philly--Geno picked and rolled all night!1 Shea tentative? Do you remember the Norfolk VA school playing at Uconn--Shea slipped their top player an fore-arm and got one back in the throat, the second got the technical. Shea and Sveta were a matched set.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For 20 years i believed SHEA meant UConn Women's Basketball. If Shea isn't who is?
Hope your New Year is great and this night/evening brings you all your favorite drinks and food. Be safe good man.
I just want to see that subject matter hit the other side of the board. We shouldn't have to live with Vanderbilt threads over here because Shea took the job there.

Reaction Score
Can Shea finish .500?

Every SEC team is tough, but I think she has a chance to win 6 more games. Vandy has a good chance in five games against 4 opponents, Auburn, Alabama (2), Ole Miss and Florida.

The rest are tough games: Cancelled last night against Texas Tech, Shea would have to have an upset in 1-2 games against: Missouri, Ark, MSU, Tenn (2), LSU, SC, Kentucky (2), Georgia.

Reaction Score
Can Shea finish .500?

Every SEC team is tough, but I think she has a chance to win 6 more games. Vandy has a good chance in five games against 4 opponents, Auburn, Alabama (2), Ole Miss and Florida.

The rest are tough games: Cancelled last night against Texas Tech, Shea would have to have an upset in 1-2 games against: Missouri, Ark, MSU, Tenn (2), LSU, SC, Kentucky (2), Georgia.
I would be shocked if Vandy won 6.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom