Sorry if posted before - which conference were the refs from? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sorry if posted before - which conference were the refs from?

Reaction Score
It's always been my understanding that the conference of the host institution assigns the referees.

Not necessarily. It depends on what is agreed when the teams sign the contact to play. If both teams are strong and have relatively equal clout, it is not unusual for the visiting team to have the right to assign officials. If it is a major program playing a weaker one, then the major one usually assigns them -
in what is likely their home game.

Reaction Score
A lot of the offensive vs defensive calls are set ahead of time with the circle under the basket. If you are touching or inside it the call is on you (unless something even worse is seen like a dropped shoulder, etc). And I forgot to add that Lou was inside that circle and perhaps not totally planted.

Just so no-one is confused, the arc under the basket only applies to a so-called secondary defender, i.e. a defender who was not guarding the player with the ball. If the player going to the basket is your man, then you can still draw a legal charge with one or both feet on the line or inside it.

Reaction Score
It is not uncommon that procurement of the game officials is included as part of the game contract for out of conference games. Many officials have conference affiliations; they can be affiliated with multiple conferences. I'm aware instances in which the game contract specified "neutral" affiliation, instances in which it is a home & home contract the officials come from the visiting team conference affiliation.... It is pretty routine that the assignment of game officials comes out of conference offices rather than individual school athletic offices.

Reaction Score
Dee Kantner has worked over 20 final four games, and 10 championship games, and I think one of the best in the women’s game. Having said that, how 3 officials missed the obvious flagrant foul on CD in the open floor at half court is beyond me. That foul was more egregious and unsportsmanlike than the one called in the backcourt. The foul on CW driving to the goal when she was undercut while in the air is a no-no among players, and it would be more than interesting to be a fly on the wall when the players spoke of it amongst themselves away from the prying ears of the press. I’m sure there were some words used that the press couldn’t print anyway. JMO
Undercutting can cause serious or career ending harm, isn't that what happened to KML's elbow?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. It depends on what is agreed when the teams sign the contact to play. If both teams are strong and have relatively equal clout, it is not unusual for the visiting team to have the right to assign officials. If it is a major program playing a weaker one, then the major one usually assigns them -
in what is likely their home game.
I agree that (at times) there have been cases that undoubtedly reflect what you are saying (a Rutgers game many years ago at home against Stanford had PAC ref's), but it seems to be less common today. For instance, the PAC always uses PAC referees at the conferences teams' home games.

I tracked the better known referees (on a spreadsheet, where they worked for what conferences how often) for a number of years and seldom saw any instances of referees doing games for teams in conferences where they didn't work other games. I still track ref's in RU and Arizona games, and haven't noticed any real exceptions to the home team conference selecting the refs.

Reaction Score
I just watched the fourth quarter of that game. I don't understand how the official (apparently someone named Dee Kanter) missed that mugging of Dangerfield. I would like to send a notification to whomever is her boss that she must be advised of this grievous error. Can anyone tell me whom to contact about this? Watching the end of that game it was clear that ND players were clearly trying to hurt the UConn players. What a disgusting display.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom