Songs about humanity | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Songs about humanity

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Somebody had to say it

While trying to listen to this I kept pushing the translate button and nothing happened. I had to quit 20 seconds in.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Instead Cassandra Complex lover, try this, written when African American's were still being hung at least once a month in Texas alone.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I'll still take Billie's.
There is room for all of it. Beauty is in the eye, or in this case, ear of the beholder. As Tony Williams sang , and before him Bill Kenny sang,"To Each His Own".

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'll still take Billie's.

I heard BST's first, so have a slight preference for it. (I think the album came out when I was about 8, and when my older sister went to college, I bought my own copy and have owned it ever since.) I do think it's cool that my father, having listened to Lady Day's version for 30 years, still liked BST's (not as much, but he still liked it). He also loved Janis Joplin's version of Summertime. Both of those modern renditions are either really creative or take many liberties with the songs, depending on your point of view.

Reaction Score
I first heard the BS&T version, so it remains my favorite too.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I heard BST's first, so have a slight preference for it. (I think the album came out when I was about 8, and when my older sister went to college, I bought my own copy and have owned it ever since.) I do think it's cool that my father, having listened to Lady Day's version for 30 years, still liked BST's (not as much, but he still liked it). He also loved Janis Joplin's version of Summertime. Both of those modern renditions are either really creative or take many liberties with the songs, depending on your point of view.
I really liked the first B,S, and T released in 1968. Al Kooper led a very eclectic ensemble on Child Is Father to The Man, but he left and Katz and Colomby held the gang together, picked up David Clayton Thomas to do lead vocals, and went on to record some wonderful stuff. I was a freshman in college in 1969 when B, S, and T was released, and "And When I Die" was one of the brightest of many hits they produced. I especially appreciated Eric Satie's Variations on a Theme. You Made Me So Very Happy certainly did just that for many fans. So Billie is impeccable, but B,S and T paid homage very well. as for Summertime, Billie Ella, Louie, Janis were all great, but I love Billy Preston's unique take on that wonderful Gershwin tune. As for you being 8 years old when B,S and T was released, earth years and Lectron years must not align! :D

Reaction Score
Doesn't exactly fit in with this theme, but the mention of Steve Katz and Al Kooper made me recall this rather fine effort:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think most of Simon & Garfunkel's songs fit here. Several already, here's another.
Well if we're gonna do Sound of Silence, better do this version.

Sound of Silence - Disturbed

Reaction Score
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye got the big publicity for this one, but to me Les McCann's version put the real heart and soul into it:

JordyG

Reaction Score
There is room for all of it. Beauty is in the eye, or in this case, ear of the beholder. As Tony Williams sang , and before him Bill Kenny sang,"To Each His Own".
Agreed. Of course just to put this into a more personal perspective, I saw both iterations of BS and T. Once with Al Kooper and twice with Clayton-Thomas. With Thomas it was just after his two albums with BS and T were released. I also saw Kooper with Mike Bloomfield doing that Super Session stuff. Although I liked Clayton-Thomas' versions for me personally they didn't come close.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Emmylou Harris doesn't write much music, but when she does the result is often damn near perfection. Red Dirt Girl was, I think, the second album she wrote most or all of the music for. I'm gonna post two songs. The first is the first cut, called The Pearl. I read where she said that she was suddenly struck with the fact that pearls are so beautiful, but they're a reaction to basically pain. The song lyrics really describe this in terms of the human plight:

Reaction Score
Emmylou.....wow, you bet-

"Did you ever see a Cajun when he really got mad When he really got trouble like a daughter gone bad It gets real hot down in Louisiana The stranger better move it or he's gonna get killed He's gonna have to get it or a shotgun will It ain't no time for lengthy speeches"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom