Something I (we) take for granted... | The Boneyard

Something I (we) take for granted...

Reaction Score
So regardless of tonight, this year has not been what we expected. On paper, I think we thought we had Sweet 16 potential and we have been pretty eh. But, here we are, in March, making things interesting. My father-in-law is a tried and true Indiana fan. He was there in 75, 76 and has watched them on top, on the bottom, and with the Crean dumpster fire gaining further stink. So he texts me after the win last-night with envy and said, "They are doing it again, aren't they?" I heard that a few times from other people. A Maryland fan, a UNC fan, etc... There is an expectation that we are aligned with March and cool stuff happens. So even though we have posters here who want the season to end, I dig the ride because this is what we do. Bare minimum we make things interesting. And I'm down for as long as it goes...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think I'd wait for a win today before attributing any magic. They beat Houston at home - while nice to finally beat them, Kenpom had Houston as a 2 pt favorite.

Reaction Score
I think I'd wait for a win today before attributing any magic. They beat Houston at home - while nice to finally beat them, Kenpom had Houston as a 2 pt favorite.

Really not getting the whole point of his post. USF didn't make you think this way, but while Houston was a 2pt favorite and we were home, this isn't a team we've played well against.

boog has a point, as do you. But I woke up with a smile today and a little hop in my step ;)

Reaction Score
Exactly, they struggled against an awful USF team and then beat a bad Houston team. Beating Cincy will be tough.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Really not getting the whole point of his post. USF didn't make you think this way, but while Houston was a 2pt favorite and we were home, this isn't a team we've played well against.

boog has a point, as do you. But I woke up with a smile today and a little hop in my step ;)

It was a nice win - but it's a quarterfinal against Houston at home.

Beat Cincinnati and maybe there is a reason to start comparing it to prior runs - it's a pretty low bar if beating Houston at home is something special.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While whaler's tempering of enthusiasm is valid, the core of boog's post also has quite a bit oh merit. Most here have no clue how truly spoiled we have been the past few decades. Because of this, the tough times that we are enduring (and seriously, if this is rock bottom, rock bottom has a cushion lining) has caused too many fans to whine like six year olds who didn't get what they wanted for their birthday.

Reaction Score

Beat Cincinnati and maybe there is a reason to start comparing it to prior runs - it's a pretty low bar if beating Houston at home is something special.

Of course, what was I thinking. How dare we try to begin thinking like a UConn fan may? My bad.....it was only Houston and we dominate them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course, what was I thinking. How dare we try to begin thinking like a UConn fan may? My bad.....it was only Houston and we dominate them.

Like I said I didn't realize the bar had become so low that beating a non-tournament team at home in a quarterfinal was such a big deal.

If it is then horray! I'll wait and see if they can complete with a legitimately good team today before comparing it to the past.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Would that be the same Houston team we've lost three of four to away, and two of four at home, since the AAC began play? We aren't exactly kicking their ass during the regular season. If they're so bad, why do they keep beating us?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Like I said I didn't realize the bar had become so low that beating a non-tournament team at home in a quarterfinal was such a big deal.

If it is then horray! I'll wait and see if they can complete with a legitimately good team today before comparing it to the past.

Still missing the point...
If we don't get excited yet? Fine.
But - the point is - everyone else looks at us, and says "UCONN. March..."

Reaction Score
The point is, and perhaps this did not come across, is that there is a perception of UConn that magical things happen for us in March. And while we know that USF is horrendous and Houston is not that good, we tend to make things interesting and the college basketball fan notices. I got texts from multiple people, who did not see the game, basically assert that I am so fortunate to be a UConn fan. I know I have taken that for granted. That's all...

Reaction Score

Don't need your hooray's just try to stay on point, and it was a good one until....well you know!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The point is, and perhaps this did not come across, is that there is a perception of UConn that magical things happen for us in March. And while we know that USF is horrendous and Houston is not that good, we tend to make things interesting and the college basketball fan notices. I got texts from multiple people, who did not see the game, basically assert that I am so fortunate to be a UConn fan. I know I have taken that for granted. That's all...

Fair enough. They are right we have been very lucky - I just think they are a bit pre-mature it comparing being Houston to past successes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don't need your hooray's just try to stay on point, and it was a good one until....well you know!
What do we care what fans around the country perceive of UConn if Whaler thinks differently. I'm always amazed how something positive can be made to look bad. Whaler probably texts these fans and tells them they're horses hit.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. They are right we have been very lucky - I just think they are a bit pre-mature it comparing being Houston to past successes.

Of course... But that's part of the point. We could've beaten the Beltway Ballers and Marathon Oil and there are some other team's fans who are thinking that we are going to make a run. Happened last year, too. This idea that we are lucky, good, or just blessed come March. We forget that. This team should have been dead long ago and we may lose by 30 today. But, it's still pretty cool to be a fan of this team. That's all. Y'all can go back to the the Purvis/Brimah/KO bashing threads if that's better for you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course... But that's part of the point. We could've beaten the Beltway Ballers and Marathon Oil and there are some other team's fans who are thinking that we are going to make a run. Happened last year, too. This idea that we are lucky, good, or just blessed come March. We forget that. This team should have been dead long ago and we may lose by 30 today. But, it's still pretty cool to be a fan of this team. That's all. Y'all can go back to the the Purvis/Brimah/KO bashing threads if that's better for you.

I certainly don't disagree that we have been very lucky to be UConn fans.

Our spoiled fanbase is one of our biggest issues. There is no reason the building has been so empty the last two days when they were giving away tickets.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

You kind of missed the OP's point.

Whether UConn wins or loses today, the college basketball constituency is paying attention. Why? Because UConn has a reputation for special runs, games, moments... That's kind of nice, isn't it? Yes it is.

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. Love us or hate us, you'll never be indifferent.

Reaction Score
So regardless of tonight, this year has not been what we expected. On paper, I think we thought we had Sweet 16 potential and we have been pretty eh. But, here we are, in March, making things interesting. My father-in-law is a tried and true Indiana fan. He was there in 75, 76 and has watched them on top, on the bottom, and with the Crean dumpster fire gaining further stink. So he texts me after the win last-night with envy and said, "They are doing it again, aren't they?" I heard that a few times from other people. A Maryland fan, a UNC fan, etc... There is an expectation that we are aligned with March and cool stuff happens. So even though we have posters here who want the season to end, I dig the ride because this is what we do. Bare minimum we make things interesting. And I'm down for as long as it goes...

If you are a believer in what is meant to happen...or good things happen to good people...or what goes around comes around...or when the time is right....UCONN is where it is at.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think Houston is a bad team. And I don't think anyone missed the point.

We wake up UConn fans and its March. Blessed. The track record immediately brings memories ... and that overwhelms the lack of good play against USF. Last night was a good night for our guys ... Too rare in 2016-2017.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Still missing the point...
If we don't get excited yet? Fine.
But - the point is - everyone else looks at us, and says "UCONN. March..."

But no! It's an average win! Stop comparing this dumpster fire to past great teams!

Edit: I just can't help myself, every time I see a weird, annoyed response, I know JSM was in here, and i MUST read his analysis.

As always, he never fails.

The weird thing is, he's not even a poster that SOME people find honest, refreshing, insightful, anything.

Literally every other person on this message board thinks he's insane and doesn't agree with a single point... I honestly wonder how that feels, to just disagree vehemently with everything known to man?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Come on, you're a pretty smart guy, this isn't hard. I'll make one more attempt.

The fact that it is only Houston and only the quarterfinals is completely irrelevant. No Husky fans are even remotely attempting to place the win in the patheon of greatness. If that's what you think this is about, you need to step back, clear your mind, and try to grasp what boog was actually trying to say.

We get noticed, out of respect for our history. We're Henry Hill getting his Mom's groceries carried home in Goodfellas...

Reaction Score
With the exception of the five minute drought, this was as well as they have played this year. They moved the ball crisply. Made the simple plays. Knocked down open shots. They knew who to defend and stayed focused on them. The contested most shots. They were active and intense.

If we had played like that all season.....

Reaction Score
Come on, you're a pretty smart guy, this isn't hard. I'll make one more attempt.

The fact that it is only Houston and only the quarterfinals is completely irrelevant. No Husky fans are even remotely attempting to place the win in the patheon of greatness. If that's what you think this is about, you need to step back, clear your mind, and try to grasp what boog was actually trying to say.

We get noticed, out of respect for our history. We're Henry Hill getting his Mom's groceries carried home in Goodfellas...

Love the analogy, well done.

Reaction Score
Hey, I am actually giddy with thanks. Thanks for a night of exceptionalism. Thanks for a true dig down great effort. Thanks for some hope. We saw the genetic UConn basketball character awaken within.. the fight, scrap and making the extra play. I thoroughly loved watching it. Tonight might be a mountain too high, but I'd love to see them bloody the crap out of Cinci.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom