Someone Tell Me About St. Joe's | The Boneyard

Someone Tell Me About St. Joe's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They have five really good players. Well coached, not much depth. Galloway is a very good shooting guard and they have a "point forward" who can shoot, rebound, pass, etc. Their best wins are against VCU twice. Temple beat them by 8, Nova beat them by 30....Big Five games. They were spotty over the first part of the season but were 9-3 in last 12 and obviously won the A10 tourney

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
They lost to Nova by 30. Got blown out by NIT teams in LSU and Richmond. They were a bubble team before the A10 tournament began.

Reaction Score
Saw them play here against GW. Very weak depth, getting them in foul trouble would be good. Galloway is the key player. Their big guy is Kanacevic. GW got him in foul trouble pretty quickly and took him out of the game.

If you guys have any more specific questions, I can try to answer them based on what I saw in person

Reaction Score
Saw a little of them today. Galloway is a really solid player and the big man knows how to play, but seems to be a bit of a hothead. He could give us trouble b/c he's smart; lots of fakes, moves in the post. I find A-10 teams to usually be underrated as they all play very tough and physical; especially Martelli coached teams. Will be a tough game.

Reaction Score
do the pressure the ball and get a lot of steals. If the have a good press we could be in trouble, otherwise, if they play a regular defensive set, we should have the advantage. I know no team puts pressure on like the Ville, but we have had problems with other pressure and getting the ball inbounds a lot. End of the Cinci game was example number 1

Reaction Score
Some guy on their board just attributed us being confident in this game to us having a BCS football team not to, you know, us having 3 national championships in the past 15 years

Reaction Score
According to the St. Joe's-VCU box score today, SJU played 7 players....the 2 bench players played 4 and 3 minutes respectively.

Their starters are 3 seniors, a junior, and a frosh. Sizes- 6'8, 6'8, 6'6, 6'2, 6'3.

Reaction Score
They may have to. They only play 5 players. All 5 of their starters played at least 37 minutes today. If they only play 5 players I like our chances.

Reaction Score
According to the St. Joe's-VCU box score today, SJU played 7 players....the 2 bench players played 4 and 3 minutes respectively.

Their starters are 3 seniors, a junior, and a frosh. Sizes- 6'8, 6'8, 6'6, 6'2, 6'3.

So they are 6'7, 6'7, 6'5 and 6'1, 6'2…………lol……….good players almost every one of them………should be a fun game, the dude wit h the 'fro can play………

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2603/saint-joseph-hawks

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for few camera shots of Martelli.

Reaction Score
Immediate concerns, without having seen them play
- starting backcourt at 6'2 and 6'3 have a size advantage over Boat and Bazz -- one of which is an excellent 3-point shooter who will not be bothered by a 5'11 defender
- skilled big man with girth; he could be a really bad matchup for Nolan and Brimah, either close to or far from the basket
- coaching: Martelli has a big advantage here

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Saw them play here against GW. Very weak depth, getting them in foul trouble would be good. Galloway is the key player. Their big guy is Kanacevic. GW got him in foul trouble pretty quickly and took him out of the game.

If you guys have any more specific questions, I can try to answer them based on what I saw in person
I agree that driving to the hoop will be key. They don't really have a rim protector (Kanacevic is 6'8" 255 and blocks 1.5 pg, but is a very good passer (4.4 apg) and stretch 4 with 35% 3 pt, Roberts is 6'8" 225 and blocks 1.3 pg...both are good rebounders: 8.7 and 7.2 rpg respectively). Their guards have a big size and weight advantage: Wilson is 6'3" 210 and Galloway is 6'2" 202...both are good from 3: 36% and 43% respectively. All 4 of these players are seniors. Their fifth starter, Bembry is 6'6" 200 and athletic, also shoots 37% from 3. Also his first name is DeAndre, so must be a good matchup for DD, right?
I have not seen them play, but they are obviously hot of late. They rely heavily on the starters: subs play less than 12 minutes each, so drawing fouls will be important. They have a girth advantage and size at the guards, so of course we are doomed, DOOMED for sure!

I don't know if they play a lot of zone or not. I would think their guards might struggle to stay in front of ours if they rely on man-to-man.

They also have a 6'8" 257 lb freshman from Germany, so Niels and Leon may know him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are ranked 49th by Kenpom. 68 ranked offense, 55 ranked defense. 16th luckiest team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Geno and Martelli are best friends
I know if JC was still coaching, Geno would be givimg Martelli the secrets on how to beat UConn men
Wondering if things are the same with KO? I know Geno likes KO but with Geno I think boyhood friendship is an overriding factor
Before anyone jumps all over me I post this in a half jest.
Food for thought though!!!!

caw

Reaction Score
So:

Napier/Boat vs Galloway/Wilson. Height advantage to SJU. Speed and Napier to UConn. UConn may go taller at times with Kromah/Samuel in with one of the starters. Can't imagine they press much with five guys.

Giffey vs Bembry. Bennett is a better athlete IMO. Giffey did just defend Kilpatrick so this shouldn't be out of his league. Wonder how open Giffey will be. Kromah could also get time here.

Daniels/Brimah vs kanacevic/Roberts. They have bulk on UConn but UConn has height. Both rebound well.

Roberts is the only starter that doesn't shoot the three. May have to have DD on Kanacevic on the perimeter bc I'm not sure we want Brimah out there.

Solid team who could give UConn some trouble on the boards. If Brimah plays like he has, UConn should win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom