Some thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Azura had 8pts 4rb in 17 minutes. Napheesa had 14pts 6rb in 36 minutes. Z will be fine. On offense as others have noted Gabby needs to look for her foul line jumper. The played off her basically most of the game. Gabby did not even look to shoot the ball. When she plays against the taller post in the tournament. They are going to give her that shot because driving to the basket is her strength. Make her hit 4 or 5 at least instead of letting her drive to the basket for a layup. Also Azura and Napheesa need to look for the 10-15 foot jumper more instead of always trying to take it to the rim. You can do it against AAC teams but not Top 5. Hitting those jumpers opens up the lane for penetration.
Gabby can't consistently hit that foul line jumper, which is why she won't be an impactful player at the next level, where you can't get by on athleticism alone as ND's Jewel Lloyd and Kayla McBride found out relatively quickly. As Connecticut advances and plays better teams, they will give Gabby that shot until she proves she can make it. As Geno has said, "if Gabby can hit that shot at a 52% clip, we're unbeatable." Well she can't!!

Reaction Score
Gabby can't consistently hit that foul line jumper, which is why she won't be an impactful player at the next level, where you can't get by on athleticism alone as ND's Jewel Lloyd and Kayla McBride found out relatively quickly. As Connecticut advances and plays better teams, they will give Gabby that shot until she proves she can make it. As Geno has said, "if Gabby can hit that shot at a 52% clip, we're unbeatable." Well she can't!!
Louisville played 10 ft off of Gabby last night. She stayed just below the free throw line wanting to pass the ball . Louisville just sagged under the basket. She has to at least take that shot and hit 30 % of them undefended. Basically it's the same offensive set they used to run w/ Dolson . Only Stef took those shots.

Reaction Score
True, and this has to continue to be point of focus for the team. Gabby should keep practicing that shot and taking it in games at opportune times. The next big games are over a month away, and I see no reason why she couldn't be hitting that shot at 52% or better by the time the Elite Eight rolls round.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
first time watching your ladies tonight, very impressive. Y'all move the ball as well as any team I've ever watched.
Thanks for stopping by. I like your coach and your team and you are, obviously, having a great season. Looking forward to the potential rematch. It will be a dogfight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She should have been shooting at least 500 a day to improve. Its a free throw.

Reaction Score
No one can beat UConn this year scoring only 58 points. Geno has oft said that defense wins games, offense by how much.

Reaction Score
Tonite exposed why we need our non starters to hurry up and get developed. Its a little late in the season but there is still time. We came out like a house on fire. I thought we let up especially in the 4th qtr. Then seemed to run out of gas. Kia playing defense didnt really allow her to shoot the ball. CD looked a little slow from the lay off trying to heal her injuries. Gabby Phessa and Lou were very good.

We came out on fire and up 20 at the half. We looked tired, we slowed down. We didnt look as energized or crisp as did did in the first half. UConn needs some help from Z and MW. IMO they should be at another level this late in the season. A level of take charge and a level of Making It Happen. They have their moments and when they do theyre really good. Tonite that wasnt there.

UConn did not shoot the ball as good as they can tonite. IMO CD hurt and all that time off, and Kia was focused on Durr. Hey we didnt play on all cylinders and the game was never in question. So we look forward to the rest of the season. CD needs to get healthy. I expect her to see less playing time then usual. We need her for the post season. I also expect to see Z and MW get alot of play time and alot of attention from the coaching staff to get them ready for the post season. If theyre not ready I dont expect to see them get alot of time in big games. I expected a we would win by alot more. We played the second half to stay out of foul trouble because we didnt have a bench we were confident in, in this game.

It will be interesting to see what what happens over the next 4 games, and the AAC tourney. We need non starters to step up and be counted on.
" We need the non starters to step up...." We sure do, but I am beginning to conclude that "wish" is unrealistic. We need "Z" to find her 3 point shot ( not happening ). We need Megan to become a super talent, which demands more court time ( not happening ). We need Camara to blossom ( not happening ). On and on. Truthfully, did anyone ever think Molly and Kyla would become dominating superstars? And Makayla, in my opinion, has the most unconventional shot from distance in the game. It is like a two handed " flick, " which begins at her waist line and never goes in the basket. I don't see how it can. Her eyes and the ball never line up together with the basket. I can see her as a guard who can handle the ball, pass effectively, and drive to the hoop. But her six shooter is missing a bullet ; an outside shot that can make people fear her.

Am I the only one who sees this? Maybe I need new glasses.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but after rewatching the couple of minutes MW was in the game, I just can't agree with your statement that she is a defensive liability at this point.

I see offensive players blowing by her all the time.

Reaction Score
Your prediction based on your analysis is of course correct. Where I withhold judgment, however, is on whether she can't improve that jumper. Compare her free throw percentage from her freshman to her sophomore year, and there's an amazing increase in accuracy. She's a great, great person and I only wish her the best, and that includes that she can also relax when taking the jumper from the same distance as from where she is now an effective free throw shooter.

Reaction Score
We may just have to be satisfied with wins this year
Well, I understand what you are driving at. But . . . I am sure you agree that there is a helluva lot more to be satisfied with than just the wins. I mean, you see it all over this board. The fans L-O-V-E watching these remarkable young women play--the athleticism, the beauty, the poetry, the passion. That's what keeps us watching.

Reaction Score
I concur with you thoughts Tony.......I've been harping all season about the importance of the bench and it's becoming even more apparent that there is much more work to be done.......it's a chicken or the egg situation...are the bench players at fault because they're not doing the things Geno asks of them or is Geno at fault for not getting his bench to perform up to his standards? Either way it better get straightened out or I could see a scenario where UConn simply runs out of gas in the quarter or semifinals again this year......
It would seem that some are implying Uconn get the less than coachable recruits or those not ready for Div 1 BB! ? Or is it the intimidation factor of playing with 5 of the best in Div one BB? Uconn played against a Frosh of two last night, in the Tx game a few more, SC some frosh were on the floor a long time. But most of Uconn's frosh never left the bench. I don't know the answer but it can't be the search for perfection because those that do get to play --are not yet perfect.

Reaction Score
Anyone one else see the irony with the bench?? In the preseason there was all this talk about players getting enough minutes. Here we are at the end of the season talking about the starters playing too many minutes and the bench getting very little.

It’s why I mostly just watch the games and let it play out as GA and staff see fit.

And yes, I concur @Tonyc
Yeah, whatever happened to the predictions that UConn's bench could win the AAC and Auriemma would be able to substitute 5 in and 5 out.

Reaction Score
I thought Z showed some real toughness last night, she came into the first half and couldn't hit easy shots, made a couple of mistakes and got yanked. Then she might have been the most clutch player when Louisville made their mini run in the fourth quarter.

I just watched the game again on WatchESPN and the growth and effectiveness of Azura was just great in the 4th qtr. She scored more, defended better she is learning to pull away from the basket creating opening for others, then make a fuss asking for the ball drawing the defense to her for the pass from her to Collier, her 5 or 8 ft shots were accurate. Coaching on the bench during games with Z is paying off.
Walker, a bit shy to shoot the 3 or attack the basket were evident but her defense was not lacking. She's learning and doing well--not great but well.. In the next month, if played sufficient time, she will be a great asset come NCAA time. Believe IT.

Reaction Score
The team got some glaring weaknesses that are scary considering it's mid February: lack of reliable bench, gabby can't shoot the mid range effectively and the team misses way too many lay ups and is bothered by physical players. That said, the starting 5 is by far the best in the country and they play beautifully on both offense and defense. The 2 teams I don't want to meet in the tourney are Baylor and Miss. st. As I think UConn will have a major issue with their big strong centers.

As someone who doesnt get a chance to see many UConn games, I was surprised at Gabby’s hesitancy to take the mid-range shot. She is a pass first player. She’s a nice player just a little unsure offensively away from the hoop. Kylee Shook had a nice clean rejection on her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right now neither Azura or Megan will help come tournament time. Just seeing what they nave not brought to the game when they get in.
I couldn't disagree more. Azure in certain match ups is unstoppable offensively but still needs to play post players without fouling. Megan is very quick, has a great jumper for 2 &3, a great rebounder for her size and is improving her defense. What I like most of Late is she is not playing scared anymore. Remember she made some crucial shots in a couple of games.

Reaction Score
Tonite exposed why we need our non starters to hurry up and get developed. Its a little late in the season but there is still time. We came out like a house on fire. I thought we let up especially in the 4th qtr. Then seemed to run out of gas. Kia playing defense didnt really allow her to shoot the ball. CD looked a little slow from the lay off trying to heal her injuries. Gabby Phessa and Lou were very good.

We came out on fire and up 20 at the half. We looked tired, we slowed down. We didnt look as energized or crisp as did did in the first half. UConn needs some help from Z and MW. IMO they should be at another level this late in the season. A level of take charge and a level of Making It Happen. They have their moments and when they do theyre really good. Tonite that wasnt there.

UConn did not shoot the ball as good as they can tonite. IMO CD hurt and all that time off, and Kia was focused on Durr. Hey we didnt play on all cylinders and the game was never in question. So we look forward to the rest of the season. CD needs to get healthy. I expect her to see less playing time then usual. We need her for the post season. I also expect to see Z and MW get alot of play time and alot of attention from the coaching staff to get them ready for the post season. If theyre not ready I dont expect to see them get alot of time in big games. I expected a we would win by alot more. We played the second half to stay out of foul trouble because we didnt have a bench we were confident in, in this game.

It will be interesting to see what what happens over the next 4 games, and the AAC tourney. We need non starters to step up and be counted on.

Tony: I agree. This late in the season, without significant contributions from the bench; I suspect Uconn will remain 5 or 6 players until cleanup time. If they, the bench, have not improved to game ready is there any reason to expect better from them? There is basic talent on that bench. The issue is for them to seamlessly work and be productive with the starting 5. Will that happen? I doubt it.
With out a bench I see the top teams Uconn encounters running their legs off and mauling them and then tearing up the scoring in the second halves. Allowing Uconn ownership of the first half.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Louisville played 10 ft off of Gabby last night. She stayed just below the free throw line wanting to pass the ball . Louisville just sagged under the basket. She has to at least take that shot and hit 30 % of them undefended. Basically it's the same offensive set they used to run w/ Dolson . Only Stef took those shots.

When Louisville watched film on UConn, they saw the same things we see. At this time, Gabby does not have a consistent mid-range jumper. That's just the way it is. If anyone would care to differ, I'm listening. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Gabby can't consistently hit that foul line jumper, which is why she won't be an impactful player at the next level, where you can't get by on athleticism alone as ND's Jewel Lloyd and Kayla McBride found out relatively quickly. As Connecticut advances and plays better teams, they will give Gabby that shot until she proves she can make it. As Geno has said, "if Gabby can hit that shot at a 52% clip, we're unbeatable." Well she can't!![/QUOTE
Leads the team in rebounding,leads the team in assists probably the best passer and is 2nd best defender and is the most impactful player even without a mid range jumper. Also I would guess she is near the top in getting fouled. Find me another player that can do, you cannot.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I couldn't disagree more. Azure in certain match ups is unstoppable offensively but still needs to play post players without fouling. Megan is very quick, has a great jumper for 2 &3, a great rebounder for her size and is improving her defense. What I like most of Late is she is not playing scared anymore. Remember she made some crucial shots in a couple of games.

Yes, as to your points, Walker, Stevens and in some cases Irwin will be called on to play significant minutes throughout the tournament. The starters can't be expected to go 40 minutes every game. There are going to be times when Geno MUST give some of them a blow, even if it's for 2-3 minutes, maybe even wrapped around a time out. Whether Walker is ready or not, Geno is going to have to use her. How she performs when she's in there will determine how long she stays in, and how often he subs her in.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yes, as to your points, Walker, Stevens and in some cases Irwin will be called on to play significant minutes throughout the tournament. The starters can't be expected to go 40 minutes every game. There are going to be times when Geno MUST give some of them a blow, even if it's for 2-3 minutes, maybe even wrapped around a time out. Whether Walker is ready or not, Geno is going to have to use her. How she performs when she's in there will determine how long she stays in, and how often he subs her in.

the best time to give the starters a blow is around a 1 minute left at the end of a quarter or the TV timeout. Give them that extra free rest time.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Thanks for stopping by. I like your coach and your team and you are, obviously, having a great season. Looking forward to the potential rematch. It will be a dogfight.
"Dogfight." Very good.

Reaction Score

Geno will ride the stars, but at least we have them. I said it 2 months ago and got killed on here but I'm more worried about next year when we're down two key cogs. Is Walker going to "get it " next year? Who's replacing Kia? Lou is s 3 and so is Walker. We know most freshman are not ready for big time minutes. Don't worry about this year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
As someone who doesnt get a chance to see many UConn games, I was surprised at Gabby’s hesitancy to take the mid-range shot. She is a pass first player. She’s a nice player just a little unsure offensively away from the hoop. Kylee Shook had a nice clean rejection on her.

shizam, I understand your take about Gabby's reluctance to shoot mid-range jumpers. There is a reason for that. However, I remind you that EVERYBODY that plays competitive basketball gets their shot blocked. No one is exempt. Yes, Gabby got her shot blocked. How many other shots of Gabby's did Shook block? How many times did the game announcers mention Shook's name last night? Here's her stat line: in 5 minutes of play, she had 1 assist and 1 block. That's it. No rebounds, no steals and no points. Last week Stevens got her shot blocked under the basket by a player 4-5 inches shorter. It happens. :confused:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Geno will ride the stars, but at least we have them. I said it 2 months ago and got killed on here but I'm more worried about next year when we're down two key cogs. Is Walker going to "get it " next year? Who's replacing Kia? Lou is s 3 and so is Walker. We know most freshman are not ready for big time minutes. Don't worry about this year.

The good news is next year they'll be sophomores.

And one of those spots on the starting 5 will be Z's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom