Some thoughts

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by Tonyc, Feb 12, 2018.

1. iamcbs

iamcbs Buckeye Guest

Gabby can't consistently hit that foul line jumper, which is why she won't be an impactful player at the next level, where you can't get by on athleticism alone as ND's Jewel Lloyd and Kayla McBride found out relatively quickly. As Connecticut advances and plays better teams, they will give Gabby that shot until she proves she can make it. As Geno has said, "if Gabby can hit that shot at a 52% clip, we're unbeatable." Well she can't!!

Wmccfp, AussieHusky and BostonCanuck like this.
  2. scubadog

scubadog

Louisville played 10 ft off of Gabby last night. She stayed just below the free throw line wanting to pass the ball . Louisville just sagged under the basket. She has to at least take that shot and hit 30 % of them undefended. Basically it's the same offensive set they used to run w/ Dolson . Only Stef took those shots.

Wmccfp, RSHERMVIKES and PacoSwede like this.
  3. BostonCanuck

BostonCanuck

True, and this has to continue to be point of focus for the team. Gabby should keep practicing that shot and taking it in games at opportune times. The next big games are over a month away, and I see no reason why she couldn't be hitting that shot at 52% or better by the time the Elite Eight rolls round.

RSHERMVIKES and Scoop like this.
  4. CL82

CL82 23 National Championships... and counting.

Thanks for stopping by. I like your coach and your team and you are, obviously, having a great season. Looking forward to the potential rematch. It will be a dogfight.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    HuskyPhan, PGBully and UConnNick like this.
  5. cbraarj

cbraarj

She should have been shooting at least 500 a day to improve. Its a free throw.

6. itsasport

itsasport

No one can beat UConn this year scoring only 58 points. Geno has oft said that defense wins games, offense by how much.

RSHERMVIKES likes this.
  7. Longtime fan

Longtime fan

" We need the non starters to step up...." We sure do, but I am beginning to conclude that "wish" is unrealistic. We need "Z" to find her 3 point shot ( not happening ). We need Megan to become a super talent, which demands more court time ( not happening ). We need Camara to blossom ( not happening ). On and on. Truthfully, did anyone ever think Molly and Kyla would become dominating superstars? And Makayla, in my opinion, has the most unconventional shot from distance in the game. It is like a two handed " flick, " which begins at her waist line and never goes in the basket. I don't see how it can. Her eyes and the ball never line up together with the basket. I can see her as a guard who can handle the ball, pass effectively, and drive to the hoop. But her six shooter is missing a bullet ; an outside shot that can make people fear her.

Am I the only one who sees this? Maybe I need new glasses.

shizam and Rixxx like this.
  8. JustinesGuy

JustinesGuy

I see offensive players blowing by her all the time.

9. bags27

bags27

Your prediction based on your analysis is of course correct. Where I withhold judgment, however, is on whether she can't improve that jumper. Compare her free throw percentage from her freshman to her sophomore year, and there's an amazing increase in accuracy. She's a great, great person and I only wish her the best, and that includes that she can also relax when taking the jumper from the same distance as from where she is now an effective free throw shooter.

10. connie

connie

Well, I understand what you are driving at. But . . . I am sure you agree that there is a helluva lot more to be satisfied with than just the wins. I mean, you see it all over this board. The fans L-O-V-E watching these remarkable young women play--the athleticism, the beauty, the poetry, the passion. That's what keeps us watching.

Wmccfp, Baroloboy, augustaTC and 2 others like this.
  11. BroadwayVa

BroadwayVa A man is not convinced just by being silenced

It would seem that some are implying Uconn get the less than coachable recruits or those not ready for Div 1 BB! ? Or is it the intimidation factor of playing with 5 of the best in Div one BB? Uconn played against a Frosh of two last night, in the Tx game a few more, SC some frosh were on the floor a long time. But most of Uconn's frosh never left the bench. I don't know the answer but it can't be the search for perfection because those that do get to play --are not yet perfect.

RSHERMVIKES and shizam like this.
  12. BobbyJ

BobbyJ

Yeah, whatever happened to the predictions that UConn's bench could win the AAC and Auriemma would be able to substitute 5 in and 5 out.

augustaTC, JustinesGuy and shizam like this.
  13. BroadwayVa

I just watched the game again on WatchESPN and the growth and effectiveness of Azura was just great in the 4th qtr. She scored more, defended better she is learning to pull away from the basket creating opening for others, then make a fuss asking for the ball drawing the defense to her for the pass from her to Collier, her 5 or 8 ft shots were accurate. Coaching on the bench during games with Z is paying off.
    Walker, a bit shy to shoot the 3 or attack the basket were evident but her defense was not lacking. She's learning and doing well--not great but well.. In the next month, if played sufficient time, she will be a great asset come NCAA time. Believe IT.

RSHERMVIKES likes this.
  14. shizam

shizam

As someone who doesnt get a chance to see many UConn games, I was surprised at Gabby’s hesitancy to take the mid-range shot. She is a pass first player. She’s a nice player just a little unsure offensively away from the hoop. Kylee Shook had a nice clean rejection on her.

15. phil sampieri

phil sampieri

I couldn't disagree more. Azure in certain match ups is unstoppable offensively but still needs to play post players without fouling. Megan is very quick, has a great jumper for 2 &3, a great rebounder for her size and is improving her defense. What I like most of Late is she is not playing scared anymore. Remember she made some crucial shots in a couple of games.

16. BroadwayVa

Tony: I agree. This late in the season, without significant contributions from the bench; I suspect Uconn will remain 5 or 6 players until cleanup time. If they, the bench, have not improved to game ready is there any reason to expect better from them? There is basic talent on that bench. The issue is for them to seamlessly work and be productive with the starting 5. Will that happen? I doubt it.
    With out a bench I see the top teams Uconn encounters running their legs off and mauling them and then tearing up the scoring in the second halves. Allowing Uconn ownership of the first half.

RSHERMVIKES likes this.
  17. Scoop

Scoop

When Louisville watched film on UConn, they saw the same things we see. At this time, Gabby does not have a consistent mid-range jumper. That's just the way it is. If anyone would care to differ, I'm listening. :oops:

RSHERMVIKES likes this.
  18. phil sampieri

phil sampieri

19. Scoop

Scoop

Yes, as to your points, Walker, Stevens and in some cases Irwin will be called on to play significant minutes throughout the tournament. The starters can't be expected to go 40 minutes every game. There are going to be times when Geno MUST give some of them a blow, even if it's for 2-3 minutes, maybe even wrapped around a time out. Whether Walker is ready or not, Geno is going to have to use her. How she performs when she's in there will determine how long she stays in, and how often he subs her in.

RSHERMVIKES and NEforceUConn like this.
  20. the Q

the Q

the best time to give the starters a blow is around a 1 minute left at the end of a quarter or the TV timeout. Give them that extra free rest time.

21. Golden Husky

Golden Husky The Midas Touch

"Dogfight." Very good.

CL82 and PGBully like this.
  22. JustinesGuy

JustinesGuy

Geno will ride the stars, but at least we have them. I said it 2 months ago and got killed on here but I'm more worried about next year when we're down two key cogs. Is Walker going to "get it " next year? Who's replacing Kia? Lou is s 3 and so is Walker. We know most freshman are not ready for big time minutes. Don't worry about this year.

23. Scoop

Scoop

shizam, I understand your take about Gabby's reluctance to shoot mid-range jumpers. There is a reason for that. However, I remind you that EVERYBODY that plays competitive basketball gets their shot blocked. No one is exempt. Yes, Gabby got her shot blocked. How many other shots of Gabby's did Shook block? How many times did the game announcers mention Shook's name last night? Here's her stat line: in 5 minutes of play, she had 1 assist and 1 block. That's it. No rebounds, no steals and no points. Last week Stevens got her shot blocked under the basket by a player 4-5 inches shorter. It happens. :confused:

RSHERMVIKES likes this.
  24. the Q

the Q

The good news is next year they'll be sophomores.

And one of those spots on the starting 5 will be Z's.

25. scubadog

scubadog

Sorry. not last night

RSHERMVIKES likes this.