Some thoughts on Todays game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Todays game

Reaction Score
A few thoughts:

1) Having Aubrey guarding Johnson in the second half was brilliant. Completely neutralized her. Probably a lesson in this for future games.

2) Brown-Turner’s 4th foul looked like a bad call, and impacted the game. It didn’t change the result, but it magnified NC St’s weaknesses.

3) Hobby played pretty well in the post, but was slow getting up and down the floor. In the second half, she wasn’t able to keep Aaliyah and Aubrey off the glass. Too tired I think. Baldwin and Collins were no better.

4) Rivers looked better than her stats suggest. But she was still a non-factor.

5) Azzi was outstanding again, and I might even call this an off shooting night, lol.

6) 15 assists?!?! Nika was tremendous.

7) Aaliyah!!!! She’s smaller than Baldwin, who reminds me a bit of Taylor Jones, but she is much quicker. Jada Boyd was the only consistent performer in their front court and even she flagged a bit in the second half. Kim Adams kept saying how fast NC St was, but they looked slow to me.

8) I hate to admit it, but after the Stanford-SC game, I think we are stuck at #3. We proved we’re competitive at the highest levels, I think. But we haven’t proven that we belong ahead of either of them. Yet.

Reaction Score
The Stanford-SC game didn’t change any rankings. But it showed that SC can be beaten by a team with excellent perimeter shooting and defense. It didn’t depend on out-muscling Boston and Saxton and Cardozo in the paint. Even Prechdel played well enough against Boston. That was good enough to make her a non-factor for much of the game, because their guards were outplayed. Outplay their backcourt and their formidable frontcourt doesn’t matter as much as much.

Reaction Score
This is a top 10 matchup. I presume Geno will go with experience for as long as he can that means Griff will start. I would also expect substitutions late at the end of each quarter to keep our starters out of foul trouble. Depending on Girffs back he may sub for her a little more often as he does not need another injury. So who are the subs. Well lets start with the starters. Azzi Lou Nika and Edwards That leaves Yanna Caroline Amari and Ines.

Here's what we've seen and know. We cannot afford foul trouble. That means everybody. Edwards Nika and Lou have to stay out of foul trouble. Coming off the bench Yanna needs to stay out of foul trouble and we will be fine. We have 4 players who will score in double figures. We should have at least 10 pts off the bench and if Caroline is healthy and can play alot more. Dont depend on Lou and Azzi to score 25 pts each but they can. If Azzi and Lou draw alot of attention that will leave Nika open and she has shown she can knock down her outside shot. Remember this is not the same NC State team we faced last season. They are good but I dont think they can beat UConn today unless UConn gets into alot of foul trouble. UConns pressure on the ball will disrupt NC States offensive flow just like it did to Texas. We also have Azzi and Lou and those two can light it up. Expect alot of pull up jumpers and everybody else hitting the boards.

Many fans are concerned about the height advantage and rightfully so. NC State did not play any tuff competition so far this season and UConn was up double digits on a very tall and physical Texas team which was ranked ahead of NC State. I expect the same today. Yeah we dont have Dorka but we have Yanna Caroline and Amari and they should be able to hold down the middle. My key is for UConn to keep NC States guards under pressure so they cant operate freely and get the ball inside freely. If UConn can do that like they did to Texas we should win by double digits.

Geno has exhausted the portal and spent alot of time overseas looking for players. I wouldnt count on Geno getting any more players for the roster unless its somebody really good who can step in right away and contribute. I just dont see that happening. I think we will be fine with who we have. We play tuff defense and we a couple of players who can shoot lights out and carry the team and we have balance. IF Uconn wins big today WCBB will take notice. Lets hope Dorka gets back soon, Caroline gets healthy and UConn stays healthy.

I dont see UConn losing this game.
Remarkably sober analyses, considering the source. Reminiscent of Olde Coach, RIP.

Reaction Score
Here's my concern for Caroline's neck: running is not likely to be a problem for her, but banging in the paint may be. I don't see her playing as sub at the 4, but primarily at the 3. She's not the one we should expect to grapple with Boyd. That's got to be Aubrey and Ayanna's job today. Can Lou help at the 4? She did that at Fairfield sometimes, but this is a formula for foul trouble for her, and she's too important as a perimeter shooter to use this way.

Baldwin and Hobby have to be Aaliyah's assignment. She gives up a couple inches here, but she's played the 5 frequently in her first two years against taller players. Ayanna can sub in here, but probably not Aubrey. I think this means Amari has to see some minutes at the 5 in the still competitive moments of the game.

The wild card, I think could be Mimi Collins. She's a big who can shoot. Clearly this assignment has Aubrey written all over it. But if they go big, with Hobby Boyd Collins, that will put a lot of pressure on Ayanna to guard a much more experienced player for long stretches. I see this as our primary foul risk. Can we count on Ayanna to play a full 20 mins without fouling out?

Just one last thought: Boyd didn't see Aubrey last year and may not be ready for the matchup problems she presents. Aubrey is more than athletic enough to contain Boyd, but also to out quick her in every aspect of the game. Platoon Ayanna against her and it may feel bewildering to her. That's a lot of athleticism to have to deal with for a whole game.
I think although early we can compare Griffin's athleticism very favorably with I think Gabby. At least that what I saw today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom