Some thoughts on Todays game | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Todays game

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a top 10 matchup. I presume Geno will go with experience for as long as he can that means Griff will start. I would also expect substitutions late at the end of each quarter to keep our starters out of foul trouble. Depending on Girffs back he may sub for her a little more often as he does not need another injury. So who are the subs. Well lets start with the starters. Azzi Lou Nika and Edwards That leaves Yanna Caroline Amari and Ines.

Here's what we've seen and know. We cannot afford foul trouble. That means everybody. Edwards Nika and Lou have to stay out of foul trouble. Coming off the bench Yanna needs to stay out of foul trouble and we will be fine. We have 4 players who will score in double figures. We should have at least 10 pts off the bench and if Caroline is healthy and can play alot more. Dont depend on Lou and Azzi to score 25 pts each but they can. If Azzi and Lou draw alot of attention that will leave Nika open and she has shown she can knock down her outside shot. Remember this is not the same NC State team we faced last season. They are good but I dont think they can beat UConn today unless UConn gets into alot of foul trouble. UConns pressure on the ball will disrupt NC States offensive flow just like it did to Texas. We also have Azzi and Lou and those two can light it up. Expect alot of pull up jumpers and everybody else hitting the boards.

Many fans are concerned about the height advantage and rightfully so. NC State did not play any tuff competition so far this season and UConn was up double digits on a very tall and physical Texas team which was ranked ahead of NC State. I expect the same today. Yeah we dont have Dorka but we have Yanna Caroline and Amari and they should be able to hold down the middle. My key is for UConn to keep NC States guards under pressure so they cant operate freely and get the ball inside freely. If UConn can do that like they did to Texas we should win by double digits.

Geno has exhausted the portal and spent alot of time overseas looking for players. I wouldnt count on Geno getting any more players for the roster unless its somebody really good who can step in right away and contribute. I just dont see that happening. I think we will be fine with who we have. We play tuff defense and we a couple of players who can shoot lights out and carry the team and we have balance. IF Uconn wins big today WCBB will take notice. Lets hope Dorka gets back soon, Caroline gets healthy and UConn stays healthy.

I dont see UConn losing this game.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Great post @Tonyc . I am hoping Caroline has a breakout game, but I don't want her to aggravate her neck at all. Get her out of the game if her neck starts to bother her. She's a big key to our march run next year. I'm pulling big time for Griff today! She's in for a big game!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm concerned about Caroline's health, her ability to play for extended periods and being a scoring threat. There is something going on with her and it started last season. In the NCSU pregame presser, she seemed really subdued to me but that could be normal because she still has yet to play meaningful minutes this season.
We will need plenty of scoring from everyone today in order to outscore the Wolfpack, I am not sure sure how good our half court defense will be. They have the type of scorer that usually gives us trouble in Diamond Johnson and she may see big minutes today unless we can neutralize her.
Again, I am concerned about Caroline and she might have be a key for us today.

Reaction Score
Here's my concern for Caroline's neck: running is not likely to be a problem for her, but banging in the paint may be. I don't see her playing as sub at the 4, but primarily at the 3. She's not the one we should expect to grapple with Boyd. That's got to be Aubrey and Ayanna's job today. Can Lou help at the 4? She did that at Fairfield sometimes, but this is a formula for foul trouble for her, and she's too important as a perimeter shooter to use this way.

Baldwin and Hobby have to be Aaliyah's assignment. She gives up a couple inches here, but she's played the 5 frequently in her first two years against taller players. Ayanna can sub in here, but probably not Aubrey. I think this means Amari has to see some minutes at the 5 in the still competitive moments of the game.

The wild card, I think could be Mimi Collins. She's a big who can shoot. Clearly this assignment has Aubrey written all over it. But if they go big, with Hobby Boyd Collins, that will put a lot of pressure on Ayanna to guard a much more experienced player for long stretches. I see this as our primary foul risk. Can we count on Ayanna to play a full 20 mins without fouling out?

Just one last thought: Boyd didn't see Aubrey last year and may not be ready for the matchup problems she presents. Aubrey is more than athletic enough to contain Boyd, but also to out quick her in every aspect of the game. Platoon Ayanna against her and it may feel bewildering to her. That's a lot of athleticism to have to deal with for a whole game.

Reaction Score
Now for positive thoughts about our offense. I mean, even if we're shorthanded that's mainly a defensive liability. But we are still scary as... well as all get out on offense. If Lou doesn't run into foul trouble and can stay in the game, and if Caroline's feeling good, I don't put it past our backcourt scoring well over 50. Can the front court chip in another 30? I'm optimistic about this. We may not be able to grapple with their bigs as well as before, but we can still run and I'm not sure they have the ponies to keep up. This is what I'm looking for.

Reaction Score
And a possible minutes breakdown by position:

Backcourt:
Azzi 35, Nika 30, Inês 5, Lou 30, Caroline 20 = 120

Frontcourt:
Aaliyah 30, Aubrey 25, Ayanna 15, Amari 10 = 80

This is the optimistic breakdown. Any excess foul trouble and Ayanna or Inês may have to play more, though mainly Azzi will be stuck playing 40 again, and Aubrey could have to play 35.

I still have confidence about this game -- cautious confidence -- because I suspect Azzi will own the 4th quarter of all our games this year, rather like Paige has always done. She's really strong and has a ton of stamina -- more than most people at this point of the year. They start slowing down just when she's speeding up. If we enter the 4th quarter with a slight lead, or even trailing a little, I think the game is ours.

Reaction Score
None of my posts are as articulate as all the above. I wish they were but, I post what I feel and the confidence I have in the Uconn way of playing basketball and Geno's skill as coach. I always have the highest confidence at the beginning of each game and then let the flow carry on to see if I am going to enjoy the game or have palpitations of my nervous system. Have faith!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm concerned about Caroline's health, her ability to play for extended periods and being a scoring threat. There is something going on with her and it started last season. In the NCSU pregame presser, she seemed really subdued to me but that could be normal because she still has yet to play meaningful minutes this season.
I think it would be normal for most people to be out-talked by Nika! :D

Reaction Score
We are going to need Ayanna for more than 20 minutes ideally. Whether she survives out there without fouling is completely another story. The refs seem to call anything on her as a slight touch from her is earth shattering for some players. Boston and Morrow get away with pushing people out of the way but not Ayanna. She clearly is fould prone though. Can't give excuses for that. I'm just hoping she can find a way to stop the obvious fouls.

Reaction Score
Based on Geno's comments I don't see Caroline getting more than 15 minutes, 20 max. I believe he said she was on minutes restriction.

And today we will get answers on Amari. I beleive it is called, "trial by fire"

Reaction Score
I wonder if Caroline's injury last year was more of a 'whiplash' issue rather than a concussion. That could explain the neck stiffness issue. No, I'm not a trauma doc, but that type of an injury is more in keeping with the limited information we have been given.

Reaction Score
Impressive considering we were playing 3 on 5 for the majority of the game.;)

Reaction Score
Just a note to say that I enjoyed the contribution of YANNA.
==five rebounds'.. two were offensive in 13 minutes. Yanna
held her ground and then some against some pretty tall
customers. thank you, YANNA looking forward to your
next meaningful contribution!!!

Reaction Score
how so?
you dont remember all those posters from prior years saying we are playing one player down any time Nika and Aubrey are in the game, simply because they don't shoot well enough from 3. Only one three between them. But, they do many other things to help us win.

Aubrey does what Aubrey does every time she is in the game. Nothing more and nothing less. She uses her length to disrupt the opposing offense. Nika is just, well spectacular comes to mind. But hey only 1 three between them and somehow we still win!

Maybe they are pretty good even when they don't hit outside shots. This has always been my point.

Reaction Score
you dont remember all those posters from prior years saying we are playing one player down any time Nika and Aubrey are in the game, simply because they don't shoot well enough from 3. Only one three between them. But, they do many other things to help us win.

Aubrey does what Aubrey does every time she is in the game. Nothing more and nothing less. She uses her length to disrupt the opposing offense. Nika is just, well spectacular comes to mind. But hey only 1 three between them and somehow we still win!

Maybe they are pretty good even when they don't hit outside shots. This has always been my point.
Aubrey is scoring too. She's not just disrupting on defense this year. She's playing really well.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am a believer, Uconn is for real and our future id unlimited, GO HUSKIES!!!
It is really a depth issue. Stanford and SC bring waves of quality size. If we get 1 or 2 players in foul trouble, rough.

Reaction Score
We are going to need Ayanna for more than 20 minutes ideally. Whether she survives out there without fouling is completely another story. The refs seem to call anything on her as a slight touch from her is earth shattering for some players. Boston and Morrow get away with pushing people out of the way but not Ayanna. She clearly is fould prone though. Can't give excuses for that. I'm just hoping she can find a way to stop the obvious fouls.
Ayanna is a banger and we have needed one for a long time. She will learn and I feel be one of the great ones. We shall see. Great game ladies.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is scoring too. She's not just disrupting on defense this year. She's playing really well.
I agree. Just commenting on the aspect of her game that has been ridiculed the most. She scores the same way she always has. I think she got some more minutes today and probably didn;t have one eye on he Geno if and when she made a mistake that he would hook her. She looks great and has always been a very good player. Now if she can show she can hit a jumper here and there, that would be really something special, coupled with all her other superb talents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom