Some thoughts on last nites game | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on last nites game

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UCLA blanketed Lou. Result Collier goes off. UCLA blankets Lou and Collier Dangerfield goes off. Result UConn won. Only one team in all of yesterdays games outscored UConn (Miss St 74) and many BYers thought UConn didnt play well. I liked CW taking the ball inside. I thought the refs let alot go with her dribble penetration. Walker with double diget rebounds was big too. UCLA played a very physcial game which will prepare UConn for Lville. Both teams know each other. I expect the score to be in 60's maybe one team reaches 70 pts. We will need our W2's to score and I think they will. CW's dribble penetration will cause fits for LVille and I think CD gained some confidence after her second half performance. Its not about scoring its about steppin up when those you defer to arent scoring. We saw that last nite. The comeback and CD leading the way was huge for the teams confidence imo. It proved to them that they dont have to depend on Lou and Phessa. It showed them they can win when both arent scoring. I think UCLA thought make everybody else beat us and they did.

We scored 69 pts last nite and LVille scored 61. I like our chances against them. Its gonna be a hard fought game. I also expect Lou to be a decoy once again leaving somebody(s) open to score. Lou can score against LVille and UConn will be open from the outside. UConn 67 LVille 58

Reaction Score
Let's be honest - Lou was mauled most of the night. At first I didn't think so, until I saw this...
Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 7.59.03 AM.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts watching the game from the TUC:
  • UCLA’s frontline of Burke, Onyenware & Drummer were the most athletic front court I’ve ever seen in WCBB. All 3 were strong. They could run the court, jump, put the ball on the floor and score.
  • I’ve always felt, more than any other Husky, Crystal was capable of getting her own shot. In the post game presser, Crystal was reluctant to say that she took over the game in the 4th qtr. But make no mistake about it, Crystal took over the game in the 4th qtr.
  • Lou is clearly not even close to 100%. She’s not running or jumping like a person with a healthy back. Lou’s hanging in there on pure guts: make a pass, draw a fall, get a rebound, make a big steal; anything she can do to help her team.
  • I don’t know if this team can dig down and summon one more heroic effort against what will be a favored Louisville tomorrow, but I’m certain they will give absolutely everything they have.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UCLA blanketed Lou. Result Collier goes off. UCLA blankets Lou and Collier Dangerfield goes off. Result UConn won. Only one team in all of yesterdays games outscored UConn (Miss St 74) and many BYers thought UConn didnt play well. I liked CW taking the ball inside. I thought the refs let alot go with her dribble penetration. Walker with double diget rebounds was big too. UCLA played a very physcial game which will prepare UConn for Lville. Both teams know each other. I expect the score to be in 60's maybe one team reaches 70 pts. We will need our W2's to score and I think they will. CW's dribble penetration will cause fits for LVille and I think CD gained some confidence after her second half performance. Its not about scoring its about steppin up when those you defer to arent scoring. We saw that last nite. The comeback and CD leading the way was huge for the teams confidence imo. It proved to them that they dont have to depend on Lou and Phessa. It showed them they can win when both arent scoring. I think UCLA thought make everybody else beat us and they did.

We scored 69 pts last nite and LVille scored 61. I like our chances against them. Its gonna be a hard fought game. I also expect Lou to be a decoy once again leaving somebody(s) open to score. Lou can score against LVille and UConn will be open from the outside. UConn 67 LVille 58

How does this help? :confused:

1553948356471.png

Oh. I get it. Megan Walker and Christyn Williams.

Reaction Score
It is nice to know that their is Karma. This incident helped wake us up. Now Drummer can practice her MMA moves as much as she wants.

What absolutely kills me is that there is a ref basically staring at this the entire play.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts watching the game from the TUC:
  • UCLA’s frontline of Burke, Onyenware & Drummer were the most athletic front court I’ve ever seen in WCBB. All 3 were strong. They could run the court, jump, put the ball on the floor and score.
  • I’ve always felt, more than any other Husky, Crystal was capable of getting her own shot. In the post game presser, Crystal was reluctant to say that she took over the game in the 4th qtr. But make no mistake about it, Crystal took over the game in the 4th qtr.
  • Lou is clearly not even close to 100%. She’s not running or jumping like a person with a healthy back. Lou’s hanging in there on pure guts: make a pass, draw a fall, get a rebound, make a big steal; anything she can do to help her team.
  • I don’t know if this team can dig down and summon one more heroic effort against what will be a favored Louisville tomorrow, but I’m certain they will give absolutely everything they have.
I like what you say. All of it. Crystal out Sue Bird in the final quarter. Sue typically held back until: She says: no one is doing it so I'll do it! That was Crystal. Baylor and UCLA.
I have known that CW can drive and shoot, she needs to do more of it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like what you say. All of it. Crystal out Sue Bird in the final quarter. Sue typically held back until: She says: no one is doing it so I'll do it! That was Crystal. Baylor and UCLA.
I have known that CW can drive and shoot, she needs to do more of it.
Insightful comparison of 2 great point guards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What absolutely kills me is that there is a ref basically staring at this the entire play.
And they called it a flagrant foul because she hit Lou in the head. But imo it was not intentional. Lou faked drummer out of her shoes. Drummer was way up in the air and was about to come flying over Lou’s back like Christyn over the scorer’s table. She instinctively grabbed for whatever she could to break her foul, which happened to be Lou’s head. The refs got this call correct: 2 shot technical foul and UConn gets the ball.

Reaction Score
That play was ruled a flagrant foul by the refs and was a key turning point as UConn made a mini-run to close the 5 pt deficit to UCLA.
Let's be for full disclosure: Every UC player was mugged. I saw so many fouls on one trip to the basket UCLA as a team could have fouled out on that drive by Collier --I honestly don't know how Napheesa and KLS could walk after the weights (UCLA team) they were carrying for 40 minutes. Geno's partial hug at games end told me alot. Geno will give nice word in the line to the other coach when his/her team plays hard--that's a good game--mugging isn't basketball.

Reaction Score
And they called it a flagrant foul because she hit Lou in the head. But imo it was not intentional. Lou faked drummer out of her shoes. Drummer was way up in the air and was about to come flying over Lou’s back like Christyn over the scorer’s table. She instinctively grabbed for whatever she could to break her foul, which happened to be Lou’s head. The refs got this call correct: 2 shot technical foul and UConn gets the ball.
You maybe right. I saw it differently. If Drummer kept her hands off of Lou, no tech, maybe no foul. She all but broke Lous neck as she descended onto Lou. Initially I doubt the intent to hurt was there.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That play was ruled a flagrant foul by the refs and was a key turning point as UConn made a mini-run to close the 5 pt deficit to UCLA.
I think that the women's basketball rules call that an "unsportsmanlike" foul, rather than "flagrant" as the men's rules consider them. Really the same thing, and the same free throws and a throw -in. Not sure why that is so. That play could have been a "disqualifying" foul considering the photographic evidence. Kinda looked like WWE, rather than WBB. :)

Reaction Score
Basketball is a contact sport. All of these posts and threads about the refs!
We’ve known about tough defensive tactics for years now. We’ve known at least all year about KLS’ inability to create for herself. She does not own those skills. Why that is is a subject for a thread for serious basketball talk. Don’t worry I ain’t going near that one.
What if we talked about the brilliant 4th quarter we played. Danger’s performance was legendary!
How about the team’s adjustments? Could they have adjusted sooner? We were staring down the barrel of a loaded gun and we didn’t cower.
I’ve been saying all year that we need to force tempo with running and pressing and I have said that we need more dribble drive into the paint to create openings.
BTW Keep KLS as she is. She’s helping with other things, especially passing. She could rebound better but she’s moving in quicksand. IMO don’t run plays for her, because right now her shot is unreliable. We need her on the floor. Her stats last night were anemic but we need her. She’s got to be strong handling the rock! I hold my breath.

Reaction Score
I think this has been the most difficult first three rounds Connecticut has played since the year after Diana Taurasi left UConn.

All three of these teams have been tough as nails.

I would be fascinated to see the next/final Top 25. Buffalo should be on it; UCLA should be top ten.

Reaction Score
She should have been thrown out of the game, especially after the refs reviewed the play and saw this behavior. But then again, someone posted that one of the refs was a regular in PAC-12 games, so maybe...
The UCLA player at first just fell on Lou and then deliberately pushed her. I would have ejected her.

Reaction Score
Excellent points and posts in this thread. Thank you all, I really enjoy reading them. When UCLA tied the score and then went ahead, I thought one and done and started going to get a bourbon. And then, like having a fourth gear, CD took over and we have a game!!! I never did get my drink which I am not supposed to anyway!!!

Reaction Score
Two takeaways. First, Lou is blanketed, Pheesa scores, Lou, Pheesa blanketed, Crystal takes over 4th Quarter. The game was still in doubt when Lou stole ball, made lay up and one, breaking UCLA's back. Lou is thinking too much on offensive end, probably because of back. On defense, less thinking, more bold moves.

Reaction Score
Brutal officiating.Non stop contact. Watched game ten rows up from the baseline. Watched other game and then TV and saw very little contact in those games.
You must have not watched the AZ ST MSST game, lots of rough play there. Physical play has become the norm in the Women’s game, the refs appear to be calling tic tac fouls and letting the hard obvious fouls go unnoticed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom