Some students who vandalized campus during championship celebration expelled | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some students who vandalized campus during championship celebration expelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Knowing vandalism is a crime =/= thinking you won't get caught. Kids don't understand the implications of everything (everything) being recorded. Grabbing a phone to post on tiktok is like a reflex to them.
I know what you're saying but a major part of my point is that many who participated made sure they were recorded.

Not connecting the dots from being recorded for Tik Tok, Instagram, whatever to the entire world having evidence of their involvement can only be viewed as stupidity on a massive level.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be a hypocrite. I did dumb things at UConn (and before and after). I was one of the first to drop a couch on a bonfire after Tate's shot. Quite frankly, I don't know how people beat us to the punch because I remember being out there seconds after the ball hit the floor.

That being said, this current generation doesn't seem to understand controlled chaos. We burned stuff, but it was generally our own stuff and it was remarkably controlled in a quad. Of course, it was dumb, but it seems different now. Tearing down lamp posts that fall on fellow students, using that post as a battering ram to destroy school buildings, flipping cop cars? My kids in high school don't have parties to go to anymore because their class mates destroyed the house every time. When I was their age, the biggest football players would kick the crap out of someone trying to mess with the host house. Why? Because we wanted that person to host again (so we could do dumb things).

It's sad that kids will be expelled for celebrating. Hopefully, they learn from this and all the other students at UConn learn as well.
I was right there with you. We burned my coffee table that I brought from home, various items of clothing, etc. We did take a fresh roll of Tyler Phommachanh from the bathroom, so that may have been university property.

We had always heard stories that if anyone handed or threw anything out their dorm window they would lose their housing. That's something we took to heart for the most part, and I think that's the difference. We had FEAR. Fear we'd get kicked off campus. Fear that we'd be arrested. Fear that we'd have to face our disappointed parents if either of those things happened. That fear doesn't seem to exist like it used to.

Reaction Score
You never have the right to steal or destroy someone else's property period. All should be held accountable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think at some point people realized that there was no punishment for wrecking property or ransacking a store.

A local city here had a “street takeover” a few weeks ago - it was just a bunch of people who stopped traffic to ransack people’s porches to throw their stuff in the street. They had a “cause”, but really, they just did it because they wanted to.

Reaction Score
I know what you're saying but a major part of my point is that many who participated made sure they were recorded.

Not connecting the dots from being recorded for Tik Tok, Instagram, whatever to the entire world having evidence of their involvement can only be viewed as stupidity on a massive level.
Darwinism at work

Reaction Score
I think at some point people realized that there was no punishment for wrecking property or ransacking a store.

A local city here had a “street takeover” a few weeks ago - it was just a bunch of people who stopped traffic to ransack people’s porches to throw their stuff in the street. They had a “cause”, but really, they just did it because they wanted to.
Some Walgreens stores are now similar to Service Merchandise. It sucks to go buy underwear at Walmart and it is locked up. You have to call for help and they never come

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Some Walgreens stores are now similar to Service Merchandise. It sucks to go buy underwear at Walmart and it is locked up. You have to call for help and they never come

The visual of someone plaintively calling out for underwear in a Walgreens and being ignored is very funny.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
They probably made extra bacon jalapeno macaroni and cheese before the game started, just in case.

Reaction Score
Curious how people feel about a goal post being torn down. It’s nearly a tradition in some circumstances. It’s school property but typically pretty concentrated. Burning of a couch seems to be a UConn tradition. I’m most if not all circumstances it’s a dangerous thing to do but seems to be par for the course at UConn.

Reaction Score
Cameras are everywhere. Good thing for many of us they weren't in the early 80's. People do grow up. I'm not willing to sweep any generation under the rug of moral superiority. Different decades, different challenges.

Reaction Score
Not that i blame the school but it would be nice (wise) if they school offered some sort of "positive" controlled event after huge games like this. Maybe a controlled bonfire, or some way for the kids to burn off steam. I was a freshman living in the jungle during the Tate George/Laettner dream season. Needless to say when i came back from attending those games every piece of furniture from our dorm lounge and many others had been tossed into a bonfire including my personal bicycle. 25 years and nothing has changed except cell phone cameras. (i also still have trouble accepting the fact that we are now completely fine having a "Hurley" in our midst)

Reaction Score
I'm still stunned by the stupidity of people recording their actions for social media.

How can someone who is capable of being accepted by any college, not just one of the top public institutions in the country, not realize that vandalism is a crime.

Some of these geniuses recorded it so the whole world could know it was them.

I'm more stunned by the stupidity of their actions. If you're stupid enough to think destroying property is an appropriate way to celebrate, televising your stupidity shouldn't shock anyone.

Reaction Score
I'm still stunned by the stupidity of people recording their actions for social media.

How can someone who is capable of being accepted by any college, not just one of the top public institutions in the country, not realize that vandalism is a crime.

Some of these geniuses recorded it so the whole world could know it was them.
Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have no problem with UConn finding a need to expel some of them. I do hope those expelled kids find a way to another campus or online curriculum and realize they have a lot of life to live and can do well if they learn and grow from this.

And yes, like many others on here, I am forever glad there were not any cell phones, streaming, wifi and internets in the 1980's and early 90's.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with UConn finding a need to expel some of them. I do hope those expelled kids find a way to another campus or online curriculum and realize they have a lot of life to live and can do well if they learn and grow from this.

And yes, like many others on here, I am forever glad there were not any cell phones, streaming, wifi and internets in the 1980's and early 90's.
Or the mid to late 70's

Reaction Score
I remember back in 99, it seemed that rioting was in fashion. Starting with riots in the parking lot at Dave Matthews concerts (pretty sure my at the Meadows and then it seemed like it spread to campus. No cell phones back then, but if there were, I’m sure there would have been many expulsions.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm more stunned by the stupidity of their actions. If you're stupid enough to think destroying property is an appropriate way to celebrate, televising your stupidity shouldn't shock anyone.

It'll be in the DSM-5 as a mental disorder (i.e. criminal defense) by the end of the decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom