Some real talent on the yard tonight | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some real talent on the yard tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's call it like it is - the difference between playing with heart and playing without heart last night is three points.

At 73-72, it's gutty. At 70-72, it's pathetic.

The thought process for the average whiner around here is no more in-depth than that. I never see a post here after a loss marveling at how well the other team or some player on the other team played. The other team never factors in - it's UConn in a vacuum. Move one Jeremy Lamb three-point shot one inch to the left and all of a sudden these gutless kids whose job "is to play basketball" are suddenly okie-dokie here.

A majority of it is just whining. At 7-10 in conference, there are obviously issues with this team and some people are very good at point out in a logical fashion as to what they are - and some people aren't. Unfortunately, those are the people who persist here after losses.

And not for nothing, but if I think someone's opinion or method of expressing it is idiotic, I'll feel free to tell them. The ones who love to criticize are the ones who scream the loudest when it boomerangs on 'em. Everyone who expresses an opinion here should be prepared to have someone else tell them that they're off the wall. That's life.

This is 1000% true. When we lose a game, it must be because there's no leadership, no coaching, no heart, no character.

It can never be because LaDontae Henton banked in one 3 and threw up 2 others that went in at the end of the shot clock. It can never be because we had a bad shooting night. It can never be because the ball didn't bounce our way.

Everyone loves a great narrative. 99% of them are completely made up. The media is very guilty of this. Angry message board posters are even more guilty of this.

Reaction Score
This is 1000% true. When we lose a game, it must be because there's no leadership, no coaching, no heart, no character.

It can never be because LaDontae Henton banked in one 3 and threw up 2 others that went in at the end of the shot clock. It can never be because we had a bad shooting night. It can never be because the ball didn't bounce our way.

Everyone loves a great narrative. 99% of them are completely made up. The media is very guilty of this. Angry message board posters are even more guilty of this.

There are only so many losses a year we can use these type of excuses and I think we have used well over our limit. At some point people have to realize that with the talent we have we shouldn't be losing to some of the teams we have been losing to. This team needs to take a good, long, hard look in the mirror.

Reaction Score
This board is good therapy after a loss.

I wanted to punch George Blaney's mom in the uterus after the game ended and then I came here. Some of these chuckleheads are so over the top with their estrogen-addled emo posting that you can't help but be yanked back to reality.

If I had a dollar for every overweight, man-boobed slacker who's posted here raging about lack of effort, heart, or whatever else, I'd own the Celtics.

They're still 19 year old kids. S*** happens.

Actually,I'm 57 and in very good shape because I work out three days a week. No man here. And you?? Hey, we're venting here. Those 18 and 19 year olds are getting a full scholarship to attend college. Most people are in debt for years to pay for their own education. Plus, calling their heart into question is perfectly legit. It does not question their integrity just their ability to fight adversity.

Reaction Score
Actually,I'm 57 and in very good shape because I work out three days a week. No man here. And you?? Hey, we're venting here. Those 18 and 19 year olds are getting a full scholarship to attend college. Most people are in debt for years to pay for their own education. Plus, calling their heart into question is perfectly legit. It does not question their integrity just their ability to fight adversity.
Didn't you read under his name? 6'6" 250, and built like a brick house.

Reaction Score
There are only so many losses a year we can use these type of excuses and I think we have used well over our limit. At some point people have to realize that with the talent we have we shouldn't be losing to some of the teams we have been losing to. This team needs to take a good, long, hard look in the mirror.

The loss to Seton Hall was our second loss of the season. Napier was something like 1-11 with 7 turnovers in that game and everyone was positive that we had a terrible leadership problem. I assure you that had Napier made a few more jump shots and dribbled off his leg a couple less times, nobody would have questioned his leadership.

The point is, people often mistake "leadership problems" with "shooting and ball handling problems."

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
someone on the old board pointed out to me once that after a loss, a good salty one like last night, you should walk away from this place for 24 hours. Some good advice..Thx
I do that sometimes. This is my first check in since the game and I really debated coming on this soon.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Fishy I agree with everything you said. But, I have to tell you that you're completely off the wall, and your father smelled of elderberries.

I fart in your general direction.

Reaction Score
The loss to Seton Hall was our second loss of the season. Napier was something like 1-11 with 7 turnovers in that game and everyone was positive that we had a terrible leadership problem. I assure you that had Napier made a few more jump shots and dribbled off his leg a couple less times, nobody would have questioned his leadership.

The point is, people often mistake "leadership problems" with "shooting and ball handling problems."
You can use an excuse for every loss of the season. "if Syracuse didn't shoot lights out..." or "If Lamb would have shot better..." or "if Shabazz didn't turn the ball over..." or "If Roscoe would have dished it to Dummond..." or "if we didn't get screwed by the refs..." I can go on, but the fact of the matter is that this team has underachieved massively. You can only blame so much of this season on specific game instances but there are factors like heart, passion and yes, leadership that have to be accounted for. This team has way to much talent to lose this many games and to "lesser" opponents.

Reaction Score
My $.02...

No one is saying the team is above criticism. No one is saying the players and coaches shouldn't bear some of the blame. What gets me are the posters who write things like "I wish so and so would get off of my team" or "this team embarrasses me", or posts which insult the players. By earning a basketball scholarship to UConn they are already in a pretty high percentile of their peers. Can we all say the same thing when we were in college, studying our particular trade of choice?

And yes, they are kids. And when a 19 year old studying to be an engineer messes up in the classroom, it is not discussed by people who have never met them before on a message board. It is between the student and the professor. A 19 year old kid who screws up at his work study job doesn't get berated in cyberspace, instead it is his superiors who address it.

Reaction Score
And yes, they are kids. And when a 19 year old studying to be an engineer messes up in the classroom, it is not discussed by people who have never met them before on a message board. It is between the student and the professor. A 19 year old kid who screws up at his work study job doesn't get berated in cyberspace, instead it is his superiors who address it.

Is it okay to berate a 19 yr old playing 3b for the Rock Cats? He's a kid. But he's a "professional" instead of a student athlete. In 9 months Andre Drummond could be playing on an nba team. So THEN you can criticize him but not now? I just have a hard time with that flimsy cliche of not being critical of them because of their age.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I am in the kind of shape you dream about. One time I thought I was out of shape but it turns out that I was just a little bit winded from running a marathon.

You are free to write whatever you wish about the team, but understand that I'm equally free to tell you to stick it in your ear.

Reaction Score
Is it okay to berate a 19 yr old playing 3b for the Rock Cats? He's a kid. But he's a "professional" instead of a student athlete. In 9 months Andre Drummond could be playing on an nba team. So THEN you can criticize him but not now? I just have a hard time with that flimsy cliche of not being critical of them because of their age.

Amateur vs pro is a good debate and a fuzzy one, but I'm not talking about being "critical". Goodness knows I am critical of these guys too. I just don't like the idea of college kids being ripped apart like some do.

Honestly, I have learned over the last few years to tone down my emotions on professional athletes as well, though I will get more frustrated as they are the top 0.01% of their field. In the end it is all entertainment and discussion is a good thing, positive or negative. However to get to the point of ripping on someone because he made a mistake that made you unhappy in an area that doesn't have all that much effect on your life seems to me to be a waste of energy when you could be looking at why things are happening and how to fix them.

Reaction Score
I am in the kind of shape you dream about. One time I thought I was out of shape but it turns out that I was just a little bit winded from running a marathon.

You are free to write whatever you wish about the team, but understand that I'm equally free to tell you to stick it in your ear.

I guess it's easy to tell everyone else to stick it but I still haven't heard your opinion. Or are you afraid someone will tell you to stick it? By the way, the only shape I dream about is waking up in the morning.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I guess it's easy to tell everyone else to stick it but I still haven't heard your opinion. Or are you afraid someone will tell you to stick it? By the way, the only shape I dream about is waking up in the morning.

You've been here for three minutes. I've been here since the board was the board.

If you haven't heard any of my opinions, you will. And I would wager I've been told to stick it more times than anyone -- but that's all right. It goes with the territory.

Reaction Score
You've been here for three minutes. I've been here since the board was the board.

If you haven't heard any of my opinions, you will. And I would wager I've been told to stick it more times than anyone -- but that's all right. It goes with the territory.

Fair enough. I look forward to your future posts.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We have some weak, weak fans here. Seriously. Didn't we win a national championship last year? Didn't we lose our HoF coach for half the season, and during a stretch where the team usually learns and gels and, for a lack of better terms, 'gets it?' Not to discredit George Blaney, but he is NOT suited to spend more than a game or two coaching a high-major team. If he took over just about any team in the top 25 for a majority of the conference season, you can be damn sure they would struggle like this.

But, it's just easier to say they have no heart. Makes what they did last season even more incredible, considering our teams was 90% listless zombies who cared only about their NBA stock, or which girl they were going to bang back on campus. I don't like to say stuff like this, but get your heads out of your asses. Or, at the very least, don't come to Gampel this Saturday.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
veruca_salt.jpg

Reaction Score

You should warn him about that uterus thing you do.

Reaction Score
I find myself on the fence in regards to this post. While I don't believe in attacking players (nevermind college kids), I'm pretty f'in mad at the way this season has gone, and I'm not in the mood for one of those "Shut up fat ass, you're a bad fan" pep talks that certain members of this board have been known to dish out (unless it was the makersmuppet of course).

For starters, I'll always love these kids, even if they do nothing for the rest of their careers. That one season was probably the most magical I've ever experienced as a sports fan, and I'm sure we'll all talk about it for years to come. Besides, we have it pretty f'in good as UConn fans. Three titles in the past 13 years, two final fours in the last three, and one of the best coaches of all-time.

But as much as I relish the past, I've been incredibly disappointed with this team this season, because all you want as a fan for your team to play up to its potential, or at least most of it. At this time, I was hoping they would be a lot further along in their development, especially considering the experience they received last year, even if they were only along for the ride most of the time. Again, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a top five team on paper. Individually, these are all very good players. Shabazz, Lamb, Oriakhi, Boatright, Drummond, Roscoe Smith...even Daniels, Giffey, and Olander at times, are all players opposing coaches would love to have on their team.

They are young and they don't have an upper classmen leader, but frankly, I'm tired of hearing those excuses. This group returned four starters from a national championship team. The amount of pride these guys have shown really disappoints me. That's not to say I necessarily expected them to repeat, but for a group that's been through the gauntlet, you sure expected MUCH better execution, toughness, composure, and ressiliance. I thought these guys were champions. Right now they are showing me that they simply rode the cottails of Kemba and good fortune. What's the point of winning a title if you're not going to defend it? Remember Rocky 3 when Clubber Lang came along and insulted Rocky's wife, knocked him out in their first fight, killed his trainer, and laughed at him in the media? Rocky responded the way champions did, he devoted his enitre life to training for the next fight, because he couldn't stand the thought of not being the best.

The question I'd ask this team if I ever got the chance to meet them, is "are you satisfied with having your one moment in the sun, or do you want it to mean something more"? Teams like Kentucky and Syracuse are on a collision course. Are the defending champs going to have a say before this is all set and done, or are they all going to sit back, enjoy the memories, and think about the NBA? So far their answer has disappointed me.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Basic rule of thumb on the Boneyard.

Win the game = you have heart, fire and effort

Lose the game = you're soft, don't care and you suck regardless if you won a BE Championship and a National Championship within the calendar year.

Last year we had Kemba Walker who goes down as one of the best players in UConn history.

This year, they don't and they are a bunch of freshman, sophomores and a junior who are without the unquestioned leader of the team who had the best season in UConn history.

You can sit here all you want and analyze the team all you want, when simply put they lost the best player in America and (shocker) this year they aren't as good without him.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Basic rule of thumb on the Boneyard.

Win the game = you have heart, fire and effort

Lose the game = you're soft, don't care and you suck regardless if you won a BE Championship and a National Championship within the calendar year.

Last year we had Kemba Walker who goes down as one of the best players in UConn history.

This year, they don't and they are a bunch of freshman, sophomores and a junior who are without the unquestioned leader of the team who had the best season in UConn history.

You can sit here all you want and analyze the team all you want, when simply put they lost the best player in America and (shocker) this year they aren't as good without him.

I agree 99% with everything you wrote. Where I got hung up is with my own expectations. I don't believe I'm alone. We lost Bev, Coombs, Chuck, and the 2nd best player in the Big East, behind Hansboro. (insert laugh). BUT, I though we'd capitalize on returning players making a freshman to soph, type improvement. Playing relaxed, with house money and full of confidence. Plus we landed TWO HIGHLY rated guys, that fell to us, and Arguably the Most coveted Big, in the past decade. I didn't think Feb 29 would be bubble watch, 7-10 in confrence. Did you?

Reaction Score
someone on the old board pointed out to me once that after a loss, a good salty one like last night, you should walk away from this place for 24 hours. Some good advice..Thx
I think the timid souls here should do that.

Reaction Score
Good thread and good idea to pin.
My two cents: if you have a 14-point lead on the road against an inferior opponent in a must win game the players among themselves HAVE to find a way to take charge (no pun intended) to win the game. Forget Blaney; these "kids" have played hoops long enough to know how to close out a game like that. The most frustrating thing about this team is it flips the "want" switch on and off, and perhaps that's related to the fact most them have a ring on their finger and one key guy who doesn't is about to be a rich man.
I respectfully disagree with the notion the "kids" are immune from criticism because of their age. Yes, this is their job. This time next year if Drummond and Lamb don't live up to expectations the way they are this year, they'll yearn for the days when the UConn message board took it easy on them.
If anything I think this board has been way too rough on Blaney. He is what he is. I'd be a lot more concerned if he was going to be JCs successor. In a way, the players are almost taking advantage of him (think how you acted when a substitute teacher filled in for the tough teacher) and hoping he'll take the blame when they don't do their "job".
Saturday already shaping up to be a dramatic day. Maybe this time the drama will end at the buzzer and not live on over here.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
When all is said and done, I watched Providence score 35 points in the final 12 minutes of a game that began with me txting my sister, "This absolutely better not be one of those Providence games."

It's hard to imagine that there wouldn't be a diversity of opinion after something like that.

Reaction Score
You think they came to UConn to earn credits towards a sociology degree? If you believe that you are either ignorant or stupid. If any other 18 year old screws up in the work place, do you think they should be free of criticism? Of course not. You might say this isn't a job because they aren't getting paid. Sorry, but you're wrong again. They are getting a free ride to school to the tune of over $20,000 a year (since the majority of them are out of state).

So... on the one hand the education has nothing to do with why they are here, but on the other hand they are getting "paid" by getting a free education? Look, either they are here for an education, which has value, or they don't care about the education and it has no value. You can't have it both ways!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom