Some real talent on the yard tonight | The Boneyard

Some real talent on the yard tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
This loss and this season has been maddeningly depressing. A team with very high expectations gets put through a gauntlet and doesn't always rise to the challenge. Well, okay, deal with it.

Can we please stop calling out 18 and 19 year olds for not playing with heart? These guys just won your sorry as$es a national championship not 11 months ago.

Beat Pitt, beat Depaul, beat Seton Hall, and we'll see what happens. They may go on a run like last year, but the overwhelming odds are against that. Enjoy last year for what it was, something incredibly special. Know that it would take something so much more miraculous to do it again, and temper your god damn expectations.

We all want these kids to do well and we all feel helpless and let down when they don't. That's no reason to take each loss as some personal shot at you. It sucks, get over it.

Good luck to the kids the rest of the way. I hope they fight hard and fully expect that they cause some fireworks in the next few weeks. If they don't, I'll look forward to them being back next season with renewed purpose, and I'll start getting ready for the Spring Game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This board is good therapy after a loss.

I wanted to punch George Blaney's mom in the uterus after the game ended and then I came here. Some of these chuckleheads are so over the top with their estrogen-addled emo posting that you can't help but be yanked back to reality.

If I had a dollar for every overweight, man-boobed slacker who's posted here raging about lack of effort, heart, or whatever else, I'd own the Celtics.

They're still 19 year old kids. S*** happens.

Reaction Score
UConn is an elite program. Every single game is on the ESPN family of networks, a few regular season games are televised nationally, the team is mostly top 100 national recruits.......etc, etc, etc. Criticism, like praise, comes with the territory. Its part of what makes them elite. I doubt the Qunipiac message board has such emotional response. Point is, if we can throw parades when they win, or if they can use the program to pursue their dreams of playing in the NBA, then they also should accept criticism when they dont display the same characteristics this program is about. To date, this season has been a complete disaster and everyone from Coach Calhoun down to Enos Wolf are to blame. Lets stop sugarcoating reality.

Reaction Score
People have a right to express their feelings. That's what these fan boards provide. What's wrong is posters attacking other posters.

Lamb has gotten a free pass all year on this board until last night, when a season's worth of frustration boiled over. When you signup to play big time sports, you get an unrealistic share of adulation and criticism. He's deserved some of each.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
People have a right to express their feelings. That's what these fan boards provide. What's wrong is posters attacking other posters.
/quote]

There is nothing wrong with posters attacking other posters.

Herewith, I attack you for posting that!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
As gut wrenching a loss as last night was, I'm not going to rip the kids. I never have and I never will.

FWIW, every single team related board is the same: when things go bad, even for a nanosecond, the kvetching and hand wringing gets real thick. When things are going well, the boards get quieter. I guess it's because people in general prefer to focus on the negative.

Reaction Score
This board is good therapy after a loss.

I wanted to punch George Blaney's mom in the uterus after the game ended and then I came here. Some of these chuckleheads are so over the top with their estrogen-addled emo posting that you can't help but be yanked back to reality.

If I had a dollar for every overweight, man-boobed slacker who's posted here raging about lack of effort, heart, or whatever else, I'd own the Celtics.

They're still 19 year old kids. S*** happens.

Stop it. On behalf of all overweight, man-boobed slackers who don't rage about lack of effort or heart!

Reaction Score
Well put Jon - now let's figure out where we are watching the game on Saturday. We will both likely be hung over.

Reaction Score

I know that some people believe this, and it's a matter of opinion, but I really don't get this and hope I never do. Attacking real people who you choose to follow for not always succeeding is somehow o.k., but attacking anonymous people for just venting, or being nutzo, on a bulletin board is bad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...but attacking anonymous people for just venting, or being nutzo, on a bulletin board is bad.

Is it? For the most part no one knows each other so when you "attack" another poster it isn't personal. You are disagreeing with what they wrote. I thought that was part of the fun. I get upset when someone calls me a stupid mothereffer, but I get over it and eventually forget who said what. I will admit I didn't forget who said "Yeah, what he said! Tee-hee." What grown man would ever say Tee-hee?

Reaction Score
Is it? For the most part no one knows each other so when you "attack" another poster it isn't personal. You are disagreeing with what they wrote. I thought that was part of the fun. I get upset when someone calls me a stupid mothereffer, but I get over it and eventually forget who said what. I will admit I didn't forget who said "Yeah, what he said! Tee-hee." What grown man would ever say Tee-hee?

Was I that unclear. That is my point. It should be a lot less offensive to criticize each other anonymously than it is to hurl real insults at real people.

Reaction Score
Okay, I'm tired of this "holier-than-thou" attitude on the boards. You see a poster upset because the team lost another game? Well he's an idiot because only a jerk takes a game that seriously and then blames 18 and 19 year old kids. Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

Everyone keeps using the, "They're only kids!" defense and that isn't going to fly. You know why? Basketball is their job. It's what they do and are supposed to do. Play good basketball. It's simple as that. You think they came to UConn to earn credits towards a sociology degree? If you believe that you are either ignorant or stupid. If any other 18 year old screws up in the work place, do you think they should be free of criticism? Of course not. You might say this isn't a job because they aren't getting paid. Sorry, but you're wrong again. They are getting a free ride to school to the tune of over $20,000 a year (since the majority of them are out of state).

I can't find it in myself to be fully angry at this team, since many of these players played major roles in last year's run. However, I have every damn right to be upset and critical when players fail to live up to the name of the school that's on the front of their jersey.

Reaction Score
someone on the old board pointed out to me once that after a loss, a good salty one like last night, you should walk away from this place for 24 hours. Some good advice..Thx

Reaction Score
I'll chime in.

Why can't I question the team's heart? Because they're 18? Because I'm fat? I don't see the connection there. I've watched college basketball for about 30 years and seen a lot of teams, seasons and games. I think I am more than qualified to question when I feel players on a court aren't playing with maximum effort or showing "heart" (as gray as both those items might be).

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'll chime in.

Why can't I question the team's heart? Because they're 18? Because I'm fat? I don't see the connection there. I've watched college basketball for about 30 years and seen a lot of teams, seasons and games. I think I am more than qualified to question when I feel players on a court aren't playing with maximum effort or showing "heart" (as gray as both those items might be).

Well that's the thing isn't it? Maximum effort and heart are gray. Take last night. I thought the kids never quit. I also think they had no answers as to how to stop what was happening. That was coaching more than anything else. But someone else might see it as the kids folding and quitting.

Reaction Score
Okay, I'm tired of this "holier-than-thou" attitude on the boards. You see a poster upset because the team lost another game? Well he's an idiot because only a jerk takes a game that seriously and then blames 18 and 19 year old kids. Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

Everyone keeps using the, "They're only kids!" defense and that isn't going to fly. You know why? Basketball is their job. It's what they do and are supposed to do. Play good basketball. It's simple as that. You think they came to UConn to earn credits towards a sociology degree? If you believe that you are either ignorant or stupid. If any other 18 year old screws up in the work place, do you think they should be free of criticism? Of course not. You might say this isn't a job because they aren't getting paid. Sorry, but you're wrong again. They are getting a free ride to school to the tune of over $20,000 a year (since the majority of them are out of state).

I can't find it in myself to be fully angry at this team, since many of these players played major roles in last year's run. However, I have every damn right to be upset and critical when players fail to live up to the name of the school that's on the front of their jersey.

I'm trying to follow your logic. You are calling posters "ignorant and stupid" to defend the point that posters shouldn't be criticizing other posters?

No one on this board doesn't take these games seriously. And no one on this board doesn't criticize players at times. A sign of maturity would be being able to see the difference between criticism and name calling.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to follow your logic. You are calling posters "ignorant and stupid" to defend the point that posters shouldn't be criticizing other posters?

No one on this board doesn't take these games seriously. And no one on this board doesn't criticize players at times. A sign of maturity would be being able to see the difference between criticism and name calling.

No, I'm stating my opinion that defending the players with the "they're just kids" argument is pointless. They are legal adults practicing their chosen profession and are not above criticism.

Declaring that you "would never put these kids down" and "you should be ashamed for criticizing player x" is just as equally immature a statement as "player z has a small pr*ck".

Reaction Score

I agree with you that we have a right to be upset and to vent that frustration; I just found it hilarious to see that post directly above your sig: "We just won a National Championship. Relax."

Reaction Score
Ha, yeah changed that tag a few weeks ago. Guess it doesn't accurately reflect my state of mind to say the least.

NATIONAL CHAMPS UNTIL MARCH 2012, SUCK IT!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Let's call it like it is - the difference between playing with heart and playing without heart last night is three points.

At 73-72, it's gutty. At 70-72, it's pathetic.

The thought process for the average whiner around here is no more in-depth than that. I never see a post here after a loss marveling at how well the other team or some player on the other team played. The other team never factors in - it's UConn in a vacuum. Move one Jeremy Lamb three-point shot one inch to the left and all of a sudden these gutless kids whose job "is to play basketball" are suddenly okie-dokie here.

A majority of it is just whining. At 7-10 in conference, there are obviously issues with this team and some people are very good at point out in a logical fashion as to what they are - and some people aren't. Unfortunately, those are the people who persist here after losses.

And not for nothing, but if I think someone's opinion or method of expressing it is idiotic, I'll feel free to tell them. The ones who love to criticize are the ones who scream the loudest when it boomerangs on 'em. Everyone who expresses an opinion here should be prepared to have someone else tell them that they're off the wall. That's life.

Reaction Score
And not for nothing, but if I think someone's opinion or method of expressing it is idiotic, I'll feel free to tell them. The ones who love to criticize are the ones who scream the loudest when it boomerangs on 'em. Everyone who expresses an opinion here should be prepared to have someone else tell them that they're off the wall. That's life. - Fishy

I'd drink to that.

Reaction Score
Fishy I agree with everything you said. But, I have to tell you that you're completely off the wall, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Reaction Score
Let's call it like it is - the difference between playing with heart and playing without heart last night is three points.

At 73-72, it's gutty. At 70-72, it's pathetic.

The thought process for the average whiner around here is no more in-depth than that. I never see a post here after a loss marveling at how well the other team or some player on the other team played. The other team never factors in - it's UConn in a vacuum. Move one Jeremy Lamb three-point shot one inch to the left and all of a sudden these gutless kids whose job "is to play basketball" are suddenly okie-dokie here.

A majority of it is just whining. At 7-10 in conference, there are obviously issues with this team and some people are very good at point out in a logical fashion as to what they are - and some people aren't. Unfortunately, those are the people who persist here after losses.

And not for nothing, but if I think someone's opinion or method of expressing it is idiotic, I'll feel free to tell them. The ones who love to criticize are the ones who scream the loudest when it boomerangs on 'em. Everyone who expresses an opinion here should be prepared to have someone else tell them that they're off the wall. That's life.

Now that you got me looking through your chartreuse colored glasses, i do see the light, and I am only half off the wall, one leg firmly on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom