Some random observations | The Boneyard

Some random observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Gampel was absolutely rocking tonight. Great atmosphere.

Olander had the best 0 points, 0 rebounds, 11 minutes foulout games I have ever seen. There were a couple of possessions that were literally textbook defense of a top low post threat like Young. Of the 5 fouls, 1 was a give up foul after Giffey got beat to the basket, and 2 were lazy stupid calls by old refs who call a foul on the defense no matter who initiates contact (more on this later). I had no problem with the one shot Olander took.

The game seemed way too fast for Brimah. He muffed a couple of passes, was barely getting in the way of Young, and practically crashed into Boatright on a fast break. He played better in the second half, but he still has a ways to go.

Daniels got stuffed, and then basically stopped taking it to the basket. We don't need Daniels bombing threes. Yes, he was 2 for 4, but one of those makes hit the rim, bounced about 5 feet up in the air, and then dropped in. Broken record, but Daniels is so good attacking the hoop, and so mediocre when he isn't, that i don't get why he chucks so many threes.

Calhoun is struggling. I don't think there is much else to do but let him play through it. I think part of the problem is that Calhoun's lack of a handle is becoming a bigger problem as defenders dare him to drive.

Giffey has to be more aggressive with the dribble. Defenders have to overplay him because of his outside shooting, so he will be able to get by his defender a lot. He has the complete game. There is no reason for him to not be scoring more. It is also time for Ollie to start running plays to get Giffey open for 3. Giffey has earned it.

Facey and Brimah can not be on the court at the same time. When I first saw that, it almost felt like a mistake. That was the kind of thing Blaney would do. Also, this isn't the night to get Facey playing time.

Ollie is doing a good job of getting Napier breaks during the game, pulling him out right before a TV timeout on 2 occasions that I could remember.

Boat is our most athletic player, but there is just something missing. There was a 2 on 1 break late in the 2nd half where Boat got fouled. If Boat wants to play in the League, that 2 on 1 is a dunk +1 by the wing, not Boat going to the line (and only hitting 1 of 2).

Reaction Score
Agreed 100% on the lazy officiating, Daniels and Giffey. Ollie did run one play out of a timeout to get Neils an open 3 tonight.

Daniels should only use the 3 as a supplement to his game. Any more than 2 is probably too many unless he's left wide open.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Forgot Kromah. My only problem with Kromah is that it is unacceptable for a 5th year senior to throw right to the opposing team in his own end. I can tolerate that kind of mistake from a freshman or a big, but a 5th year wing has to be stronger with the ball than that. I am sure Kromah knows that. I also like him better attacking the basket.

24 threes is too many for a team with this many athletes. The team shot well from deep, but they need to attack the basket more.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
24 threes is too many for a team with this many athletes. The team shot well from deep, but they need to attack the basket more.

Against Florida, its a lot to ask this team to go attack some of the monsters they have in there.

I thought Olander's last five minutes of defense were really impressive. Everything else, um, well...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You know Nelson, when you stick to just discussing the game you're pretty much on point with a lot of observations. Nice post.

Reaction Score
Boat is our most athletic player, but there is just something missing. There was a 2 on 1 break late in the 2nd half where Boat got fouled. If Boat wants to play in the League, that 2 on 1 is a dunk +1 by the wing, not Boat going to the line (and only hitting 1 of 2).

Good post, but I disagree on the Boat play. Taking it straight to the hoop was the best play on that particular break.

Reaction Score

Disagree. This team's best attribute is that it shoots threes really well. I'd like to see them attack more as well, but there weren't too many threes taken tonight that I thought were forced.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Disagree. This team's best attribute is that it shoots threes really well. I'd like to see them attack more as well, but there weren't too many threes taken tonight that I thought were forced.

Then Giffey has to be taking more than three 3 pointers. Giffey's 3 point offense consists of him standing in the corner and waiting for his defender to provide help on a drive so Giffey can get a kick out. I think other coaches are smart enough to tell Giffeys defender to not help.

It is time to start making Giffey's defender work. Run him off screens more, which will both get him more shots AND open up the middle for Bazz, Boat and Daniels.

Reaction Score
Good post Nelson. The officials must have come from women's basketball, their judgment on calls in the paint was just horrible.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good post, but I disagree on the Boat play. Taking it straight to the hoop was the best play on that particular break.

Boat has to draw the defender and dish it. He was too close to the wing (kromah?), making it possible for one defender to cover him and the wing. If that was Ollie and Donny on the break you could almost guarantee a Donny dunk +1 in a situation like that.

Reaction Score
Since the title of this thread is "random observations" did anyone catch this one? After Napier makes the 3 to tie the game and gets fouled, Amida Brimah sprints over to Shabazz to make sure he is ok. Only problem is Brimah was on the bench at the time. Does college have the automatic technical rule for leaving the bench like the NBA does?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Forgot Kromah. My only problem with Kromah is that it is unacceptable for a 5th year senior to throw right to the opposing team in his own end. I can tolerate that kind of mistake from a freshman or a big, but a 5th year wing has to be stronger with the ball than that.

Kromah was stunningly bad last night. I wonder if he was overcome by the atmosphere. Had he ever played in such a big game before? We won, he gets a pass, but I hope he gets it back together.

Reaction Score
Olander had the best 0 points, 0 rebounds, 11 minutes foulout games I have ever seen.

Priceless, I also noticed his contribution. Nolan and Brimah at times didn't know what to do. Olander does even though there is nothing to show for it. Glad we have his experience because when he gets on the floor he is never a deer in the headlights. And I mean never.

Reaction Score
Then Giffey has to be taking more than three 3 pointers. Giffey's 3 point offense consists of him standing in the corner and waiting for his defender to provide help on a drive so Giffey can get a kick out. I think other coaches are smart enough to tell Giffeys defender to not help.

It is time to start making Giffey's defender work. Run him off screens more, which will both get him more shots AND open up the middle for Bazz, Boat and Daniels.

Griffey did have that nice pull up off the dribble. He went right, stopped and hit a 12 footer. He will need to do more of that. I am certain that the staff will tell him that when the review the game film.

Reaction Score
Kromah was stunningly bad last night. I wonder if he was overcome by the atmosphere. Had he ever played in such a big game before? We won, he gets a pass, but I hope he gets it back together.

He was far from "stunningly bad".....it wasn't his best but he played good D, got a great board, threw a good pass to Giff......also got penalized for a TO that wasn't his fault - his first pass to Deandre which went in front of him and oob's? Well that was Deandre's fault because he was wide open 15feet away on the baseline and decided to jump back behind the 3 point line and Kromah threw it where he should have stayed and taken it to the hoop. He was fine although I agree, he hadn't seen those "game lights" before.....now he has!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Griffey did have that nice pull up off the dribble. He went right, stopped and hit a 12 footer. He will need to do more of that. I am certain that the staff will tell him that when the review the game film.

Giffey has the handle to get by a lot of 3/4's, especially because they have to overplay him because of his outside shooting and when Giffey is on the court with Daniels, Daniels is drawing the top forward defender. Giffey has a 21 foot game now. He can shoot 3's, drive, and pull up anywhere along the way. Giffey has to be a little more aggressive. I don't think anyone is expecting 20ppg, but double digits is reasonable, and would open up scoring for the other players.

Giffey is averaging close to 10ppg now, but a lot of those points have come in blowout wins over Yale and Detroit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well that was Deandre's fault because he was wide open 15feet away on the baseline and decided to jump back behind the 3 point line and Kromah threw it where he should have stayed and taken it to the hoop.

That was pretty classy the way Kromah gestured to make sure everyone knew he thought it wasn't his fault. It was his fault.

Reaction Score
Boat has to draw the defender and dish it. He was too close to the wing (kromah?), making it possible for one defender to cover him and the wing. If that was Ollie and Donny on the break you could almost guarantee a Donny dunk +1 in a situation like that.

That's as much on the guy filling the lane as the guy with the ball . . .

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's as much on the guy filling the lane as the guy with the ball . . .

John Chaney was completely insane, but he had one thing he used to say that I agree with completely. "It is always the point guard's fault". Boat wants to play in the League, a 2 on 1 should not result in just 1 point.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
John Chaney was completely insane, but he had one thing he used to say that I agree with completely. "It is always the point guard's fault". Boat wants to play in the League, a 2 on 1 should not result in just 1 point.

Or a 3 on 1 that nets zero. We left a lot more points on the table than Florida did.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:

Giffey isn't good running off screens. He has to be square to the basket to shoot. He's obviously good on picks and fades and spotting up on the catch, but when he's on the move and has to square as he shoots (such as the one at the top of the key in the second half), his shot is never close. I don't think I have seen him come off a screen and square himself for a bucket once in his career.That limits the play book.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Against Florida, its a lot to ask this team to go attack some of the monsters they have in there.

I thought Olander's last five minutes of defense were really impressive. Everything else, um, well...
Olander drives me nuts. He plays REALLY good defense for 5 minutes but always seems to make the bonehead play at the worst time. He absolutely lowered his hands and gave Young the three point play and fouled out when they really needed him to stay on the floor. He also should stop taking threes.

Reaction Score
After missing his 3's, when Calhoun got put back in my recollection is that he seemed to make a point of faking the 3 and then driving into the seam. He missed but was able to get himself a decent mid-range shot. I think he needs to be reminded of that option and look for it more often.

Reaction Score
They were Bazzled. These guys are playing Ollieball. so they were Olliebazzled!!!! There is no quit or finger pointing. They are in it together and Ollie is the reason .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom