Some quotes from KO | The Boneyard

Some quotes from KO

Reaction Score
Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 9m9 minutes ago
Just finished a conference call with UConn coach Kevin Ollie. "Everybody knows in this locker room and in this circle of trust that we're getting better. ... But at the end of the game we've got to win games."

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 7m7 minutes ago
Ollie on Antwoine Anderson's shooting slump: "I think he needs to get steals and rebound, do other things than shoot." Anderson has missed his last 16 shots.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 6m6 minutes ago
Ollie would like to get more playing time for freshman Tyler Polley and also added that Kwintin Williams is working his way into the rotation

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 2m2 minutes ago
Ollie pleased with play of freshman Isaiah Whaley: "Isaiah has been playing his butt off. ... I'm really loving his effort and attitude right now."

Reaction Score
I think he’s evaluating his players much better now than earlier in the season against both terrible and pretty good opponents. It’s frustrating because we’re losing... I get that. How can you win with so many new faces in a conference that is much better than we believe. We look at UConn and put it on such a high pedestal. When we lose I get pissed off. When we win I get pissed off because it’s not complete domination. It’s a lose-lose for Ollie right now. If we get a new coach we aren’t magically going to win out and go to the tournament either. I’m being nice to him mostly because it’s a Friday... if we lose to ECU tomorrow however... I’m gunna open up a can of you know what.

pj

Reaction Score
It’s a nice way of saying “Don’t pay any attention to the Boneyard”.

Reaction Score
Easier said than done when you have so many people putting up monster numbers.

What’s the matter? You don’t like our “big 3”? ;)

We need everyone in the game and focus on doing the little things to perfection.

Another thing I always forget is UConn has a bullseye on their back no matter who we play. If we don’t play knowing that everyone wants to kick out butts we won’t win. We need to put a bullseye on every teams back we play. We’re not in the big east anymore... need to wake up!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
aaa- boneyard.JPG

Reaction Score
He’d like to get Polley more minutes?

Here’s my advice - put him in the games. That generally works.

Well he'd like to, but Polley is shooting worse on the season than Anderson from both 2 and 3 and doesn't do either of the other things, so he can't.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nice! Didn't realize he was on an 0-16 streak. Didn't Antric go something like 0-23 to start his career? Antric would be a star on this team.
Klaiber and Cobb would be a bad combination

Reaction Score
Agree with most of that. Only problem with point one is that, yeah they are getting better, but it's coming from such a low starting point that it almost doesn't matter.

Also, EVERY team generally gets better over the course of a season as players practice and play together.

It’s not enough just to “get better.” You’ve got to get better faster than the other guys.

Reaction Score
QUOTE="tcf15, post: 2506836,
Ollie on Antwoine Anderson's shooting slump: "I think he needs to get steals and rebound, do other things than shoot." Anderson has missed his last 16 shots"[/QUOTE]

Sounds about right. Here’s 30 minutes of PT, don’t shoot.

Reaction Score
I think he’s evaluating his players much better now than earlier in the season against both terrible and pretty good opponents. It’s frustrating because we’re losing... I get that. How can you win with so many new faces in a conference that is much better than we believe. We look at UConn and put it on such a high pedestal. When we lose I get pissed off. When we win I get pissed off because it’s not complete domination. It’s a lose-lose for Ollie right now. If we get a new coach we aren’t magically going to win out and go to the tournament either. I’m being nice to him mostly because it’s a Friday... if we lose to ECU tomorrow however... I’m gunna open up a can of you know what.

Are you kidding? He needs to go. This program is being dragged through the dirt just like the football program under Diaco. Uconn Administrators have dropped the ball again. Uconn is the only school that rewards the coaching staff after a few terrible years. And then is afraid to fire them because of the big contracts they rewarded them with. Ollie is not the answer and we need to go outside the program. Coach Calhoun brought this program to the top single-handedly and dragged it down before he left. I know allot of diehards don't want to hear this but that's the truth.

Reaction Score
Agree with most of that. Only problem with point one is that, yeah they are getting better, but it's coming from such a low starting point that it almost doesn't matter.
I think he’d better figure out to keep most of his players this year so he isn’t starting from scratch every season. It’s fair to assume that coaching up a team like this is going to take some time.

People really underestimate how bad a team can be when none of the players know how to play as a group. Everything is harder, and these guys clearly don’t have the talent to overcome that.

The question is, is it Ollie’s fault we have t been able to retain players? Was this a fluke or a symptom of a program out of control? Ollie as an in game and on season coach isn’t amazing, but it’s workable. But not if he can’t win the trust of his players and keep it through an off season.

Reaction Score
Once again I must ask the sage advice of the yard. What are the right answers to these questions when asked by Gavin keefe via conference call? Every answer from every coach and every athlete in every sport good or bad famous or not is the same canned and conservative response. You will not get anything sexy. We can only dream of a boneyard q&a. Perhaps the next AD will do the right thing and have us interview the next football candidates for starters ( since or coach in waiting is no longer waiting).

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? He needs to go. This program is being dragged through the dirt just like the football program under Diaco. Uconn Administrators have dropped the ball again. Uconn is the only school that rewards the coaching staff after a few terrible years. And then is afraid to fire them because of the big contracts they rewarded them with. Ollie is not the answer and we need to go outside the program. Coach Calhoun brought this program to the top single-handedly and dragged it down before he left. I know allot of diehards don't want to hear this but that's the truth.
Calhoun dragged the program down?

You’re not really that stupid, are you?

Get some facts and don’t bother coming back to see me.

Reaction Score
Calhoun dragged the program down?

You’re not really that stupid, are you?

Get some facts and don’t bother coming back to see me.

JC won a third National Championship the year before he left and assembled a group that would go on to win a 4th National Championship. If that's not dragging the program down, I don't know what is.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
JC won a third National Championship the year before he left and assembled a group that would go on to win a 4th National Championship. If that's not dragging the program down, I don't know what is.

You seem to be forgetting about the dark cloud hanging over the program as he left. The sanctions may very well have been bogus, but he wasn’t going anywhere with that group. He left the program in chaos, and Ollie held it together.

Reaction Score
You seem to be forgetting about the dark cloud hanging over the program as he left. The sanctions may very well have been bogus, but he wasn’t going anywhere with that group. He left the program in chaos, and Ollie held it together.

You call that chaos. What do you call the past season and a half?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom