Some quotes from KO | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Some quotes from KO

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This year sucks. We all knew the team wouldn't be great in April/May/June. I get we're all upset, but I don't see how Benedict can look at the court right now and think anything other than "Yup, I knew this is what was going to happen."

.)

This bad? Not even the most pessimistic posters here thought they would be THIS bad.

I get the overall point and there are arguments for another year - but this is unbelievable to watch unfold.

C

Chief00

I don't believe Ollie will be fired mid-season. Too many reasons not to and not of reason to do it.

But, if this team doesn't show major improvement by the end of the season, the only quote I want to read is, "I resign as the head basketball coach at UConn to pursue other interests."

You know, we keep hearing about Ollie's "reset" and how it made us too young to do any good this year. Correct me if I am wrong but, other than booting an assistant coach, didn't the players create the "reset"? Ollie didn't get rid of the "guys that didn't want to be here". They left...for a reason. It is being spun as an Ollie action that we need to wait on. It is being spun as Ollie replacing bad apples with good apples. No. It was kids quitting on him. Why assume it won't keep happening? Why give him a pass. Injuries? Fine. But players quitting on him is far more alarming.

If you expect KO to unilaterally give up his buyout, you will be very disappointed. As a partical matter - unless there is a high paying job awaiting him - he would have to explain to a judge why the alimony would need to be modified downward despite KO unilaterally quitting his job and forgoing the buyout if he got fired. He would likely lose.

Reaction Score
If you expect KO to unilaterally give up his buyout, you will be very disappointed. As a partical matter - unless there is a high paying job awaiting him - he would have to explain to a judge why the alimony would need to be modified downward despite KO unilaterally quitting his job and forgoing the buyout if he got fired. He would likely lose.
No, I am expecting UConn to make him an offer that is a reasonable compromise for both sides and for him to accept it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, I am expecting UConn to make him an offer that is a reasonable compromise for both sides and for him to accept it.

Why would you expect someone to not take their money. There is zero motivation for him to accept anything less than everything. He has no reason to compromise - there are these pesky things called contracts.

Reaction Score
Why would you expect someone to not take their money. There is zero motivation for him to accept anything less than everything. He has no reason to compromise - there are these pesky things called contracts.
You haven't been paying attention. There are reasons.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Ok let's play it out.

The athletic department is going to threaten him with leaking negative things about him to lessen his buyout?

If there ends up being some bad things - it reflects pretty poorly on UConn right? Then they watched the program crater while sitting on this knowledge and not acting?

Everything I've seen and heard (and I know someone with direct first hand knowledge of at least one of the items that is considered so damning) is nothing that is going to get anyone to not take their 10 million dollars.

It's absurd to suggest there is another outcome.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

But not fire-able offenses. Nothing that would represent 'cause' for the university. And before people say UCONN could make things public, they better be damn careful they don't disparage his family in the process.

Reaction Score
This bad? Not even the most pessimistic posters here thought they would be THIS bad.

I get the overall point and there are arguments for another year - but this is unbelievable to watch unfold.

I disagree. I think a number of us thought a 19/20 win season and a bubble team was possible WITH Gilbert. WITHOUT Gilbert, I think most of us realized that we did not have a quality point guard and that is a necessity to win and the season could get ugly. Today's game, though, was much worse than I expected as we played sloppy and lazy and should have won by 20+.

Anybody who thinks that you can create a highly competitive roster with 2 players that played one season together and add in three players coming back from injury plus Jucos and grad transfers and three development freshman bigs is delusional. Then you lose your point guard. Once we lost Durham, Jackson, and Enoch to transfer and MAL decommited, all top 100 players, you had to realize this year could be a cluster, especially once we lost Gilbert.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I disagree. I think a number of us thought a 19/20 win season and a bubble team was possible WITH Gilbert. WITHOUT Gilbert, I think most of us realized that we did not have a quality point guard and that is a necessity to win and the season could get ugly. Today's game, though, was much worse than I expected as we played sloppy and lazy and should have won by 20+.

Anybody who thinks that you can create a highly competitive roster with 2 players that played one season together and add in three players coming back from injury plus Jucos and grad transfers and three development freshman bigs is delusional. Then you lose your point guard. Once we lost Durham, Jackson, and Enoch to transfer and MAL decommited, all top 100 players, you had to realize this year could be a cluster, especially once we lost Gilbert.

Could be sure - expect it to be THIS bad though? Even if you knew they wouldn't have Gilbert (and I don't know why anyone would have EXPECTED to have Gilbert), this is incredibly bad.

Reaction Score
Could be sure - expect it to be THIS bad though? Even if you knew they wouldn't have Gilbert (and I don't know why anyone would have EXPECTED to have Gilbert), this is incredibly bad.

I expected to have Gilbert. The Tulsa game was what I expected. ECU was worse than expected. But, I expected the team to struggle this year given the mix of pieces. If you had told me before the season no Gilbert, I would have expected a sub 0.500 season given the schedule.

Reaction Score
If there ends up being some bad things - it reflects pretty poorly on UConn right?

To some extent, yes. Is it worth $10 million to UConn to deal with a little negative press? Maybe. Just like it is worth 10mill to Ollie. But it only matters if Ollie doesn't negotiate and make a deal, right? If he does, everyone gets something and no one gets hurt.

Then they watched the program crater while sitting on this knowledge and not acting?

People keep saying this but, really, it is easy to side step this. "We have been investigating these claims for some time. We wanted to be certain of their validity." There. Done.

Everything I've seen and heard (and I know someone with direct first hand knowledge of at least one of the items that is considered so damning) is nothing that is going to get anyone to not take their 10 million dollars.

Are you sure you have heard everything? And why are people hung up on 10mil? Negotiations people! Negotiations......compromise.....

Is it worth 5mil less to make a clean break? Take half and everyone gets to move on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To some extent, yes. Is it worth $10 million to UConn to deal with a little negative press? Maybe. Just like it is worth 10mill to Ollie. But it only matters if Ollie doesn't negotiate and make a deal, right? If he does, everyone gets something and no one gets hurt.

People keep saying this but, really, it is easy to side step this. "We have been investigating these claims for some time. We wanted to be certain of their validity." There. Done.

Are you sure you have heard everything? And why are people hung up on 10mil? Negotiations people! Negotiations.compromise.....

Is it worth 5mil less to make a clean break? Take half and everyone gets to move on.

Half the Boneyard has slipped into some alternative reality.

Google Rich Rodriguez when you get a chance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom