Some preseason thoughts | The Boneyard

Some preseason thoughts

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A big part of this season is to keep everybody healthy and to get experience for players like Amari and Patterson because they will be needed as the season progresses and definitely next season with Dorka graduating. Azzi was recruited as a shooter and scorer. IMO there is no reason to take her out of that position. Nika will start at the point for that reason. Much like Maria and DT in the past we have Nika and Azzi this season.

Another thought is we need to bring are injured players along slowly early on because we can not risk having them sit for any lengths of time. Dorka Griff and Caroline. That means Amari and Lou should see good minutes and as soon as Yanna is up to speed she will too. Our schedule is really really tuff early on and with Paige and ICE out we need to protect our players from getting hurt while not weakening any position by moving players around.

If Lou is as good as we've heard especially early on that will allow Azzi Caroline and Lou to take over games. How can I think that? Because we saw it last season and Lou with Azzi and Caroline on the court should make her even better because Azzi and Caroline will draw alot of attention from defenses.

Even with the loss of Paige and ICE we are a really really good team. 2 things: We must stay healthy and we must stay out of foul trouble and we should be fine.

We were told last season that Amari has a great shot. Put her up top much like we did Dolsen and let her pass the ball inside or shoot it just like Steph did. Amari in HS was a very good back to the basket player. Her presence underneath on defense will has opponents second guess driving the lane. We will need that this year and next.

Speaking of next season we should have Paige and ICE back as well as our incoming class of KK Ashylnn and Q and maybe an overseas Big. Were gonna be very tuff to stop next season and with Amari in the middle at 6'5 well we will be scary good. Back to this season. Alot of our success will depend on if there are any lingering injuries as well as how Lou will adjust to our tuff schedule and how healthy Dorka and Griff are. Can they play long minutes? Can Lou light it up like she did at Fairfield? I think so with Caroline and Azzi on the floor with her. Is Dorka able to go for long minutes and if not can Amari carry some of the load. One last point we must stay out of foul trouble. We need all hands on deck this season. We've got the talent to win it all however that talent has to be there in March.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For me, the biggest variable for this team is player health. After Paige’s injury, the general consensus was that her injury was early enough that Geno could build a strong team with the players he had, given the season had not even started, even adding another guard at the 11th hour.

While the loss of Ice hurts, UConn is still at a point where they can build a strong rotation, with time to mesh together, in advance of the season. Undoubtedly, players will experience bumps and bruises during the season. But we’re at the point when another major injury or two to anyone on the team puts the Huskies in a much more difficult situation.

UConn has experienced more than their share of injuries over the past few seasons. My sincere hope is that the spate of injuries is over for this season and the Huskies can now just go out and play ball!!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I will be happy to see if Amari can become a consistent and contributing on court presence. She has the tools and I really, really hope she can utilize them.

This is my preseason thought.

Reaction Score
Looks like Patterson MAY get more minutes than I had previously anticipated with Ice’s injury. I had expected the big Iceberg to step in with a meaningful freshman contribution. Amari is now needed to step it up too.

Sorry to hear about that, folks. Good luck on the season that quickly approaches. Hope y’all have no more injuries.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Looks like Patterson MAY get more minutes than I had previously anticipated with Ice’s injury. I had expected the big Iceberg to step in with a meaningful freshman contribution. Amari is now needed to step it up too.

Sorry to hear about that, folks. Good luck on the season that quickly approaches. Hope y’all have no more injuries.

Surprised about the emphasis on "MAY". How can she not get more minutes than before Ice's Injury. I definitely agree that Ice seemed to be in the lead in the Freshman Battle based on offensive versatility which is something Geno values very much but now I see her getting a bigger role. My concern about Amari continues to grow with no reports or mentions. Amari's motor seemed to be the biggest issue but clearly, Ayanna's motor is elite. On that alone, she will get a very long look.

Reaction Score
A big part of this season is to keep everybody healthy and to get experience for players like Amari and Patterson because they will be needed as the season progresses and definitely next season with Dorka graduating. Azzi was recruited as a shooter and scorer. IMO there is no reason to take her out of that position. Nika will start at the point for that reason. Much like Maria and DT in the past we have Nika and Azzi this season.

Another thought is we need to bring are injured players along slowly early on because we can not risk having them sit for any lengths of time. Dorka Griff and Caroline. That means Amari and Lou should see good minutes and as soon as Yanna is up to speed she will too. Our schedule is really really tuff early on and with Paige and ICE out we need to protect our players from getting hurt while not weakening any position by moving players around.

If Lou is as good as we've heard especially early on that will allow Azzi Caroline and Lou to take over games. How can I think that? Because we saw it last season and Lou with Azzi and Caroline on the court should make her even better because Azzi and Caroline will draw alot of attention from defenses.

Even with the loss of Paige and ICE we are a really really good team. 2 things: We must stay healthy and we must stay out of foul trouble and we should be fine.

We were told last season that Amari has a great shot. Put her up top much like we did Dolsen and let her pass the ball inside or shoot it just like Steph did. Amari in HS was a very good back to the basket player. Her presence underneath on defense will has opponents second guess driving the lane. We will need that this year and next.

Speaking of next season we should have Paige and ICE back as well as our incoming class of KK Ashylnn and Q and maybe an overseas Big. Were gonna be very tuff to stop next season and with Amari in the middle at 6'5 well we will be scary good. Back to this season. Alot of our success will depend on if there are any lingering injuries as well as how Lou will adjust to our tuff schedule and how healthy Dorka and Griff are. Can they play long minutes? Can Lou light it up like she did at Fairfield? I think so with Caroline and Azzi on the floor with her. Is Dorka able to go for long minutes and if not can Amari carry some of the load. One last point we must stay out of foul trouble. We need all hands on deck this season. We've got the talent to win it all however that talent has to be there in March.
@Tonyc, I was about to highlight a paragraph or two that filled me with agreement. There are many paragraphs with which I do agree. \
All of what you say in terms of players positions or use, is in Geno's hands. I certainly agree that Ameri and AYanna are needed and IF she can give Geno reasonable good minutes that's huge plus.
Personally, I need to see how Aubrey works within the system and how Dorka fills he Post role all alone, IF--IF, Ayanna is up to the task. I too agree, the injury to ICE is terrible, but if the other pieces work not truly damaging.
As always @Tonyc, thank you for leading the Cheers.

Reaction Score
Surprised about the emphasis on "MAY". How can she not get more minutes than before Ice's Injury. I definitely agree that Ice seemed to be in the lead in the Freshman Battle based on offensive versatility which is something Geno values very much but now I see her getting a bigger role. My concern about Amari continues to grow with no reports or mentions. Amari's motor seemed to be the biggest issue but clearly, Ayanna's motor is elite. On that alone, she will get a very long look.
I agree with you AND the Visitor. Since we haven't seen Ayanna play against Div one talent, she is still a question mark. Albeit, a highly rated ?, Without ICE's potential under the boards and scoring around the circle both Dorka and Ayanna must step up their inside game.
Geno, in past years--publicly used negative words to get a top talent to make full use of her talent. Geno being quiet on Ameri could be good but using past history, it MAY be bad for DeBerry and us fans. Uconn lost 2 major planks in this building of UCWBB this year, help is needed.

Reaction Score
We have Caroline, Azzi and Lou who can lead the team in scoring. They can score on anyone. Nika, Aaliyah and Aubrey are defensive stoppers and will score off of steals and hustle plays and rebounds. I think Ayanna will become one of the stopper and hustle players for us. Dorka and Amari need to step up and become screeners, passers and outside shooters for our offense to work. Inez i can't say what she will be without seeing her play. As all have said we can't afford anymore substandial injuries. I can't wait for the season to start. Go Huskies!!!!! Final 4 or bust

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm being naive, or I'm reading the wrong tea leaves, but I don't see how we can leave Amari out of the equation, if only because we are VERY likely to need her to start at center next year. Even if we pull a European rabbit out of the 2023 hat, this will still be someone with no experience in our system. I don't see us building another title run without Amari getting major minutes next year. To me, this means Amari must get PT this year behind Dorka, maybe as much as 20 mins/g.

Or are we thinking Geno will find another transfer like Dorka for next year? Who exactly would that be, given that he doesn't like picking up players who haven't fulfilled their obligations to their original team? Prince? Ayoka Lee? Boston [lol]? None of these make any sense to me.

And for those of us transfixed by Geno's silence on Amari, this may merely mean he's getting ready to leapfrog her in the rotation and doesn't want to freak anyone out. I know, wishful thinking on my part, but silence is the hardest sign to read.

UConn doesn't do "rebuilding" years. We're always reaching for the brass ring. I think that means Amari plays this year to get ready for next year.

Reaction Score
Fouls, especially at point guard, are going to be a real worry. Like almost everyone else, I love Nika's "pedal to the metal" style, but it does leave her with fouls that this year, the team cannot afford. Couple that with Edwards' occasional penchant for fouls and you have a potential problem. There's also the Lou question,. Everyone says she's doing very well, and I hope that's the case, but the question will be how she does on a bigger and much faster stage. And, of course, there is the injury issue, as many have mentioned. The team just cannot afford one more major hit.

Reaction Score
There is a lot of hope and wishful thinking in your message. The only thing that I can count on is that Geno will use all of the tools and resources he has at his disposal to put together the right combinaion of players at the correct time to win games. We will all have to see when play begins what the Master is doing with the team.

Reaction Score
BY,so little faith in Amari. I think she'll do just fine with more PT this year. She'll learn to be tougher and to let her motor range. She has all the other skills. This is a new time for kids. Kids today are motivated by other vibes than they were just decades ago. I think Amari is like an Embeed, (Phila. 76ers) needs constant encouragement, belief and support. Can be a cry baby, but still great. Not like the historic Uconn team player ( Lobo,Rizzotti, DT, Bird, Maya, Stewie, Dolson, Collier),. But she has the skills already and we need them/and her.

Reaction Score
The only thing that I can count on is...
There's one other thing you can count on: Byers will speculate and make guesses and predictions. Why do we do this? Because we're so impatient for the season to begin.

Reaction Score
MAY is based on the fact that I’m not Geno. She could start and get a lot of minutes but the opposite could also be true. Elite
Motor? Amihere has an elite motor - and it gets her a lot of fouls. She’s not a bench player due to lack of effort. It’s too much excited effort.

Again though. I ain’t Geno.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For me, the biggest variable for this team is player health. After Paige’s injury, the general consensus was that her injury was early enough that Geno could build a strong team with the players he had, given the season had not even started, even adding another guard at the 11th hour.

While the loss of Ice hurts, UConn is still at a point where they can build a strong rotation, with time to mesh together, in advance of the season. Undoubtedly, players will experience bumps and bruises during the season. But we’re at the point when another major injury or two to anyone on the team puts the Huskies in a much more difficult situation.

UConn has experienced more than their share of injuries over the past few seasons. My sincere hope is that the spate of injuries is over for this season and the Huskies can now just go out and play ball!!!
Agreed. Player health has to be the number one priority this year. We can't afford one more long term injury. Not trying to be a pessimist or a chicken little (and I'm certainly NOT trying to jinx the team), but I'm almost afraid to log into the yard now for fear of reading that another player has gone down. No more injuries please!!!

I agree with Tonyc. UConn has enough talent to have very successful season. If UConn advances and survives to that 3rd weekend, their success from that point forward will largely depend on their ability to limit the other team's ability to score. I think who plays the best defense will determine the winner (out rebound them and limit our turnovers to 9 or less) It's been said by various posters repeatedly, our BIGS must come through and play BIG........ALL of them. If Dorka and Amari can EFFECTIVLY handle the post duties between themselves all season, we're good.

During media day this week, Aubrey Griffin indicated she was back to 100% and feels good with no lingering after affects. So I'm no longer questioning her. We heard it from HER mouth, and that's good enough for me. I know what we're going to get from her. She's been going "full tilt" in practice. She'll be ready.

Amari and Ayanna are still unknowns until we see them on the court. It won't happen, but I sure would like to know how they both fared in the scrimmage against UMass last Saturday. That would give us some indication of what to expect. Their performance against #3 (preseason) Texas (who should be a "sweet 16" team this year) will be the "litmus test." Any and all doubts will be removed AFTER that game.

During the 2 week period (Nov 14-27) UConn will play Texas, NC St. Duke, and Oregon or Iowa. Plenty of top tier competition to evaluate our team. There should be no mystery going into the Notre Dame game on Sun Dec 4. Geno will known what and who he has. The excitement is really starting to build. A week from tomorrow, the fun begins. :) Get your popcorn ready.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Auriemma's consistent amnesia about the presence of DeBerry on the roster, can mean 1 of 2 things. Either he's being cagey, which I doubt ,or he is less than impressed. Perhaps the original thread, sometime ago " Have we forgotten about DeBerry" should be posed to the coach.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm being naive, or I'm reading the wrong tea leaves, but I don't see how we can leave Amari out of the equation, if only because we are VERY likely to need her to start at center next year. Even if we pull a European rabbit out of the 2023 hat, this will still be someone with no experience in our system. I don't see us building another title run without Amari getting major minutes next year. To me, this means Amari must get PT this year behind Dorka, maybe as much as 20 mins/g.

Or are we thinking Geno will find another transfer like Dorka for next year? Who exactly would that be, given that he doesn't like picking up players who haven't fulfilled their obligations to their original team? Prince? Ayoka Lee? Boston [lol]? None of these make any sense to me.

And for those of us transfixed by Geno's silence on Amari, this may merely mean he's getting ready to leapfrog her in the rotation and doesn't want to freak anyone out. I know, wishful thinking on my part, but silence is the hardest sign to read.

UConn doesn't do "rebuilding" years. We're always reaching for the brass ring. I think that means Amari plays this year to get ready for next year.
Geno will figure it out like he ALWAYS does. Fear not. He and his staff know what they are doing. In Geno I trust. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Auriemma's consistent amnesia about the presence of DeBerry on the roster, can mean 1 of 2 things. Either he's being cagey, which I doubt ,or he is less than impressed. Perhaps the original thread, sometime ago " Have we forgotten about DeBerry" should be posed to the coach.
If you watch the pressers closely, Geno responds to questions from reporters about specific players, i.e. Azzi, Aubrey, Ice, etc. None of the reporters are asking him about Amari. Maybe it’s not that Geno has amnesia about Amari, but rather that the press has amnesia about Amari.

Reaction Score
Geno has said that you need 3 players playing like "stars" to have a good chance at a National Championship!
So if Azzi and Caroline Ducharme can play to their talent and Edwards joins them we have a great shot at a great season!
Dorka and Lou can also be important pieces to the puzzle!
Avoiding injuries and illnesses are the key

Reaction Score
We have Caroline, Azzi and Lou who can lead the team in scoring. They can score on anyone. Nika, Aaliyah and Aubrey are defensive stoppers and will score off of steals and hustle plays and rebounds. I think Ayanna will become one of the stopper and hustle players for us. Dorka and Amari need to step up and become screeners, passers and outside shooters for our offense to work. Inez i can't say what she will be without seeing her play. As all have said we can't afford anymore substandial injuries. I can't wait for the season to start. Go Huskies!!!!! Final 4 or bust
I’m thinking we may be a bit ahead of ourselves in terms of how easily we can score. Sure, Azzi has that beautiful stroke, Caroline showed a lot last year when Paige was out, and Lou was a dominant shooter/scorer at her old school. Remember though, two of these are coming off of injuries/surgery and are not even 100% yet (Azzi apparently is going to play with her problem foot) and Lou, while a legitimate star at Fairfield, is stepping up into a different weight class. Aubrey and Dorka are also returning from serious injuries! I’ve been super optimistic about this team (and still am) but I have to say, I am concerned about some things as well. 1. Can we score enough points against the best defensive teams like Texas, SC? 2. Can we defend to Geno’s standards? 3. Can we rebound and keep other teams off the boards? 4. Do we have someone who is willing and wants to take the big shot at the end of the game. 5. Can all these players who are coming off injuries get and stay healthy?
Hopefully, the answer to all of my concerns will be a resounding yes! I guess we’ll know a little more after November, by which time we will have played Texas, NC St, Duke, and Iowa/Oregon State!
I believe we have the talent to win all those games but I’d be lying if I said I was sure of it! Oh well, I guess it wouldn’t be fun if you knew they were going to win every….Oh, wait!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Or are we thinking Geno will find another transfer like Dorka for next year? Who exactly would that be, given that he doesn't like picking up players who haven't fulfilled their obligations to their original team?

I think that may be a little over the top. It all depends on the player and the need. He has picked up a number of bigs over the years who have not fulfilled their obligation at their previous school. Other than Dorka, names that come to mind include Azurá Stevens, Natalie Butler, Batouly Camara, and, going back in time, Brittany Hunter. And of course there have been some smaller players also, such as Evina Westbrook.

Reaction Score
I think that may be a little over the top. It all depends on the player and the need. He has picked up a number of bigs over the years who have not fulfilled their obligation at their previous school. Other than Dorka, names that come to mind include Azurá Stevens, Natalie Butler, Batouly Camara, and, going back in time, Brittany Hunter. And of course there have been some smaller players also, such as Evina Westbrook.
You’re definitely right. im just going by what he said recently: whether a student has fulfilled their obligation to the previous school was something he took into consideration, as with Dorka and Lou. It could be that his thinking has evolved as a result of prior experiences.

Also, I think Evina was a special case, given the circumstances at Tennessee when she left. She wanted out of there, even at the expense of having to sit out a year. This may have been a compassionate exception.

Reaction Score

I like that line "silence is the hardest sign to read". And that is so true in this case. I waffle between the fear that Geno has already assigned Amari to the end of the bench and the certitude that he plans on springing her on the opposition. Scouting UConn is already tough enough. Perhaps he is hiding her. Or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You’re definitely right. im just going by what he said recently: whether a student has fulfilled their obligation to the previous school was something he took into consideration, as with Dorka and Lou. It could be that his thinking has evolved as a result of prior experiences.

Also, I think Evina was a special case, given the circumstances at Tennessee when she left. She wanted out of there, even at the expense of having to sit out a year. This may have been a compassionate exception.
I think you are right that Geno doesn't like to seek out disgruntled players from other programs, hence the completed their obligations preference. He also rarely needs to pursue that approach. If we have two good developments, he won't need to consider that route this time either.

If Amari shows enough this year, and we obtained El Alfy to provide depth and compete with Amari for the starting C spot, he won't need to pursue an emergency C type in the portal. If one of those happens, we could probably cover the lack of a second center with Ice playing backup minutes there. Then we would still have a need for another C, but not a desperate one.

If Amari looks like a bust and we miss out on El Alfy, then picking up whatever we can get at C in the portal becomes a critical need IMO. At that point Geno might prefer a one year rental of an experienced player who has fulfilled their obligations, but he probably would have to consider all possible transfers out of necessity.

Geno knew he needed another guard this offseason and got one in Lou that fit his needs and preferences. Then with Paige's injury he needed another, and pursued the only avenue left for him, namely the best foreign player willing to come to the states and make a quick decision on very short notice. Far from ideal, but Ines was probably a necessity at that point.

El Alfy and a productive Amari, great no problem. At the other extreme I could even see Geno looking for two C's in the portal, one to start, and another to be the backup instead of Amari. Obviously her development is pretty important for this year, but even more important looking to what the scenario will be the next one.

This could be an extremely stacked team at positions 1-4 next year. C is the main question mark, and Amari and the lack of a second C is the main reason why. Hopefully one piece comes on board in the next couple of weeks, and the other proves her worth quickly during the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom