Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 74 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't want to lose him for a half million. At $3M/yr I think he'd end up in Storrs. The thing is there is a million ways to structure this deal. If you need to back load it as a safeguard of a higher Ollie settlement that should work.

I feel like there are at least a half dozen guys on the board who could close this deal. I just don't know if there is anyone in Storrs who can.

"It's go time. Don't half-ass it"

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm starting to think we're going to get a strong and swift kick in the nuts.

But I'm not worried, there are other coaches, and I'm sure DB has a backup plan. Just because we don't know who the next options are, doesn't mean there aren't any.

Yeah, i'm curious who they are as well.

You gotta think it's Musselman anyway. He has NBA credentials and made freaking Nevada relevant.

Plus, looking at the AAC, it's so spread out you should be able to pull from another recruiting ground that has some schools there. Like a texas anyway. But gotta have some assistants who are good with the NYC and NE prep school areas.

the Q

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want to lose him for a half million. At $3M/yr I think he'd end up in Storrs. The thing is there is a million ways to structure this deal. If you need to back load it as a safeguard of a higher Ollie settlement that should work.

I feel like there are at least a half dozen guys on the board who could close this deal. I just don't know if there is anyone in Storrs who can.

"It's go time. Don't half-ass it"

How about some reasonable incentives. 20 wins get you x

25 is y

30 is z

AAC tourney title is Q

etc.

the Q

Reaction Score
IDK, I lived in Newport and I work/live in New Haven now. If I had to live in one, I'd much rather live in New Haven. Newport is too touristy. Food is much better in New Haven and I know how good some of the food is in Newport.

I loved living in Newport.

The summers can be a bear for commuting because of the tourists.

But you can basically own the city for 9 months out of the year.

It's easy to get a table at Brick Alley (my favorite), or Red Parrot, or Scales and Shells, during that time with ease.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I literally can't take any more of this. My head is going to explode.
Drove to work in the snow, spent my time reading this thread
tumblr_lu62miFPjj1qe2pkco1_500.png

...and now we may lose Hurley?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Drove to work in the snow, spent my time reading this thread
tumblr_lu62miFPjj1qe2pkco1_500.png

...and now we may lose Hurley?

Is it time to dump him before he dumps us? Not really serious here.

Reaction Score
Really could use some help from the insiders on here....

silence is deafening... Tide seemed to turn, so to speak, the last few days. Not giving up hope, but if URI can pony up some comparable $$ and incentives, given Hurley's loyalty ethic (and I truly believe it is real), I could see him staying there.

If that's true, I hope, I pray, plead that DB does not seek out a veteran coach b/c he has a name. Would love to go for a younger, more visionary option than Frank Martin, Matta, etc.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
How does Hurley take UConn given last coach fired for alleged NCAA violations? What if Hurley was scared by what he heard from DB regarding the pending investigation….if violations true and bad enough, job certainly not as attractive to guy with options...just asking…

No negativity allowed, especially today, of all days. Nefarious factions could be lurking, waiting to copy messages such as this and repost or tweet them in enemy camp forums. Am I paranoid? Hell, yes!

the Q

Reaction Score
silence is deafening... Tide seemed to turn, so to speak, the last few days. Not giving up hope, but if URI can pony up some comparable $$ and incentives, given Hurley's loyalty ethic (and I truly believe it is real), I could see him staying there.

If that's true, I hope, I pray, plead that DB does not seek out a veteran coach b/c he has a name. Would love to go for a younger, more visionary option than Frank Martin, Matta, etc.

Matta could stabilize the program and get it back in order. His track record and Xavier and Ohio St is really beyond reproach.

The only issue would be how long he stays here medically or gets another big P5 offer.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He has to weigh some important factors:
If he rebuilds either program he is a hero
How long/hard will it be to rebuild the program - it will be easier at UConn than at Pitt but recruiting better players MAY be easier at Pitt due to ACC. At Pitt, based on the strength of other teams in the conference, it's going to take longer to be successful. Reputation wise - UConn has it over Pitt.
On UConn vs URI - which school has the quickest road to a P5 designation? That's a no brainer
Money and ACC vs AAC and UConn tradition vs familiarity with URI

Reaction Score
Matta could stabilize the program and get it back in order. His track record and Xavier and Ohio St is really beyond reproach.

The only issue would be how long he stays here medically or gets another big P5 offer.

You're right as far as him as a coach, etc. I just have an incredibly difficult time thinking he can physically last to create some sort of stability. Same thing, obviously, with JC as some sort of a plan b.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If we lose our coach of choice in a very public battle to a middling ACC team over a half million dollars, I will be ready dump someone, not quite sure who yet.
Yeah, but we are talking about a guy whose father coached the same high school for something like 50 years right? Its genetic if he can't let go.

Reaction Score
I've got to take a vacation from this thread. I have run the full gamut of emotions over the last 24 hours. Make it stop, Hurley. Make. it. stop.

Reaction Score
The hype for this dude has completely taken on a life of its own.

I can't tell if we're still talking about Hurley or if a time machine was discovered in the basement at St. Joseph's and we're negotiating with a circa 1990 version of Jim Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom