So who loses minutes to Drummond? | The Boneyard

So who loses minutes to Drummond?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Tyler get shorted here losing the starting 5 hole to Drummond.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
probably easier to figure out playing times for all considering the big three coming in. Damn - trying to do the numbers - this team is stocked!
Napier 31 Boat 9
Lamb 33 Boat 5 DD 2 (can he play the 2 - trying to find minutes)
Roscoe 19 Giffey 9 DD 12
Alex 22 Olander 12 Roscoe 6
Drummond 24 Bradley 6 Alex 10

I don't see Wolf getting much and a RS may be the smartest plan. I guess I see Giffey and Olander getting the biggest squeeze.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
minutes are so hard to figure out but i don't think tyler gets more minutes than roscoe. and i think bradley gets 0 minutes this year. i see another red shirt for him.

Reaction Score
Bradley won't get another redshirt. He gets 5 years to play 4 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if Wolf didn't get a redshirt and played a few minutes a game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Bradley won't get another redshirt. He gets 5 years to play 4 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if Wolf didn't get a redshirt and played a few minutes a game.

Wolf is 21 years old I believe. He is not redshirting. I expect him to make a big step up this year in terms of getting used to the speed and physicality of the American game. I don't know if that translates into minutes, but a 21 year old European is not playing here to sit on the bench or redshirt.

I assume that as a freshman center, Drummond will get into foul trouble fairly often against the better teams, so I don't see him averaging above 30 mpg. Olander obviously loses a lot of playing time with Drummond's arrival. I think Daniels and Smith take hits too. I had always assumed the plurality of playing minutes would break down with:

Oriakhi, Smith, Giffey/Daniels, Lamb, Napier

Now with Drummond, I think it is:

Drummond, Oriakhi, Smith/Giffey, Lamb, Napier

With Walker's departure, one of the challenges for Calhoun is going to be ball handling. UConn could be a slightly less-talented, better chemistry version of the 2006 team if it is not careful. Lamb has not shown that he can handle the ball against pressure yet, and Smith couldn't dribble at all last year. Assuming Giffey improves just a little in his court awareness, I think Calhoun will be forced to play Giffey just to get a third player on the court that can handle the ball a little. I like Boatwright, but if he is doing anything other than spelling time for Lamb and Napier, we are wasting a player on the bench.

I think a team like Marquette or Villanova which plays three guards could create some problems for UConn.

Reaction Score
Everyone except PG's and even they may effected. Their's a trickle down effect. That's not a bad thing, just reality.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Wolf is 21 years old I believe. He is not redshirting. I expect him to make a big step up this year in terms of getting used to the speed and physicality of the American game. I don't know if that translates into minutes, but a 21 year old European is not playing here to sit on the bench or redshirt.

I assume that as a freshman center, Drummond will get into foul trouble fairly often against the better teams, so I don't see him averaging above 30 mpg. Olander obviously loses a lot of playing time with Drummond's arrival. I think Daniels and Smith take hits too. I had always assumed the plurality of playing minutes would break down with:

Oriakhi, Smith, Giffey/Daniels, Lamb, Napier

Now with Drummond, I think it is:

Drummond, Oriakhi, Smith/Giffey, Lamb, Napier

With Walker's departure, one of the challenges for Calhoun is going to be ball handling. UConn could be a slightly less-talented, better chemistry version of the 2006 team if it is not careful. Lamb has not shown that he can handle the ball against pressure yet, and Smith couldn't dribble at all last year. Assuming Giffey improves just a little in his court awareness, I think Calhoun will be forced to play Giffey just to get a third player on the court that can handle the ball a little. I like Boatwright, but if he is doing anything other than spelling time for Lamb and Napier, we are wasting a player on the bench.

I think a team like Marquette or Villanova which plays three guards could create some problems for UConn.

Good analysis. My evaluation of the team falls along the same lines.

Prior to the addition of AD the weak link for the team was the 4/5. With the addition of Andre, that weak link has shifted to the 1, 2. I would love it if Boatwright could spend most of his minutes as a backup 1. So I'm hoping someone other than Boatwright can back up Jeremy. If one of Niels, DeAndre or Roscoe can do this there will be a lot more flexibility with the team.

But that still leaves the problem of ball handling. Last season there were a lot of times at the end of games that Kemba, Shabazz and Jeremy were in the game to handle late game ball pressure. And they were effective. I'm hoping Ryan is a good enough ball handler and passer to allow for Shabazz, Jeremy and Ryan to be on the court and break good pressing teams at the end of certain games. And that means someone besides those three might have to get playing time at the 2 to reduce foul problems from impacting the availability of these three at critical times in the game.

Reaction Score
Boat, Bazz and J lamb all are excellent ball handlers. DD and AD are good for their positions- or so it would seem. I love the fact we are down to these types of weaknesses- feels pretty good right now thinking about the team.

Reaction Score
probably easier to figure out playing times for all considering the big three coming in. Damn - trying to do the numbers - this team is stocked!
Napier 31 Boat 9
Lamb 33 Boat 5 DD 2 (can he play the 2 - trying to find minutes)
Roscoe 19 Giffey 9 DD 12
Alex 22 Olander 12 Roscoe 6
Drummond 24 Bradley 6 Alex 10

I don't see Wolf getting much if any and a RS may be the smartest plan. I guess I see Giffey and Olander getting the biggest squeeze.

Yep, Wolf won't get much if any PT...Olander, Giffey lose some minutes...not sure Bradley gets much time if any either by march we'll go 9 deep IMO so:

Napier 32
Boat 18
Lamb 34
DD 18
Roscoe 28
Giffey 8
TO 8
AD 22 (young, big men get in foul trouble, so tamping his min down accordingly)
AO 32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul