So who looked good in Q2 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So who looked good in Q2

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
All due respect to you, that’s not true and is why Geno yanked her out so soon in Q2 and didn’t reinsert until after the others in the 4th. She tried to force multiple passes into the post when double covered instead of moving the ball to the other side. She also forced up an ill advised shot and didn’t move her feet well in the paint. On the bright side she didn’t commit any fouls tonight. Justine may have to get another guy...just sayin..
Kyla got yanked and she got a one on one when she got to the bench. And I really feel that Justine must be feeling completely abandoned lately. Too bad as she seems like a nice kid!

Reaction Score
I tuned into the game at 8PM. I saw a team with tired legs, especially the first 6. You can say it was the tough Texas game and the trip home but I think not. Having to be perfect can not be an easy mental stress to deal with for 4 years. Geno can run those 6 into the ground claiming no one else practices well but that would really be an ego problem. Putting in all the 7-10 reserves with Stevens was a baby game by Geno. You put those players in to spell starters that need a rest or/and are injured in ones and twos. Freshman need time. Give them a chance to get some confidence.

Reaction Score
They all look good, Megan, Kyla, Molly, Mikayla and Alexis.
But they don't score, except Megan's 4 FTs and Molly's 1 3-pt.

Reaction Score
After reading the posts and other threads hers are my thoughts:

Geno had a purpose for what he did.

For possible bench strength it's a tie right now with Molly/Coombs. Megan is an enigma.

I hope the Molly/Coombs test continues with Megan in the mix.

Lastly regarding Justines guys posts I disagree with everything you post. Sorry to say but you are frankly wrong all the time

But geno has it under control and the answer will be if he feels like he has 7 to go in march. That answer will be Molly/Coombs/ MW. Unfortunately he needs a big to come in off the bench and he does not have one.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
A lot of interesting thoughts on the players and various basketball aspects relating to the team have been well stated...

I was thinking this years team is missing something else from last year I had overlooked...

Tierney Lawlor brought a lot to the team she loved...this team needs a great Walk-On to contribute to team chemistry...

Nothing like having someone without any hope of contributing in a game demonstrate a positivity in practice giving an all out effort everyday in every drill with the only payback being the appreciation and respect of her teammates...

An ever present symbol of dedication and selflessness standing alongside...

I imagine the more talented players ahead of her found it within themselves to be engaged and focused during practice going by her example...

Reaction Score
It was so disheartening listening to Geno last night. By putting the four subs in at the same time Geno knew they would fail and they failed. Great. That's a good way to instill confidence. Boneyarders are always attacking the Duke coach for throwing her team under the bus. Well, Geno did the same thing with the reserves. Geno recruited them, he coaches them and if they don't play well he can't just discard them. If the subs aren't getting it maybe Geno needs to change his coaching strategy with them. When the starters discussed the subs they were all very positive and encouraging. After hearing Geno last night I thought we had lost by fifty. As others have written I wonder what message this sends to future recruits.

Reaction Score
Megan has an uncanny knack to get open and know where ball is going on defense. At times when she got ball, spacing was poor and others pulled their defender in her way. Not sure if Megan or other issue but seems to have high basketball IQ that didn't fully translate last night.
If she has a good practice he'll give her major minutes, if not then she sits.

Reaction Score
We are absolutely on the same page with this and I liked the way you stated it-"sprinkle one of the bench (removed few) players in with the starters" so they have continuity. That you have 3/4 players who know exactly what to do, how to switch and how to move the ball. I, in particular, was watching Lexi when she went in the game with the 4 other subs and due to the subs scrambling on defense-not sure when to switch, Lexi in particular was scrambling too late and that's why the 3 point shooters were wide open. And then when they managed to get there with the leaving their feet, the Tulsa team drove past them for the layups that Geno was irritated with Z about. That doesn't happen with Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, KLS and Crystal Dangerfield. So if the issue is to get KLS and Crystal Dangerfield rest due to bumps and other issues, than he needs to work Megan and Coombs into this rotation. Personally, I think Batouly would be a strong presence with better quickness down on the block but she didn't even get in the game yesterday. Very odd to me. But what do I know, my resume has 0 conference titles let alone any NCAA titles so I will gladly defer to Geno.
Respectfully disagree regarding driving the lane. Most teams have done this to UConn the past 2 years no matter if its Crystal, Gabby, etc. guarding them. Texas and Tulsa the most recent examples.

Reaction Score
It was so disheartening listening to Geno last night. By putting the four subs in at the same time Geno knew they would fail and they failed. Great. That's a good way to instill confidence. Boneyarders are always attacking the Duke coach for throwing her team under the bus. Well, Geno did the same thing with the reserves. Geno recruited them, he coaches them and if they don't play well he can't just discard them. If the subs aren't getting it maybe Geno needs to change his coaching strategy with them. When the starters discussed the subs they were all very positive and encouraging. After hearing Geno last night I thought we had lost by fifty. As others have written I wonder what message this sends to future recruits.

I disagree. I believe he put them into a situation in which they had an excellent opportunity to shine. These were top-rated recruits, one the top player in the nation last year in high school, some of the best in the nation, they were halfway through their season, and he put them in against a height-challenged, under-manned underperforming Tulsa team. They had every opportunity of really sticking it to that second-division team in a second-division conference. He gave them an opportunity to really tough it out, and give the injured players a breather.

Instead, they blundered, couldn't outscore Tulsa, and forced Geno to bring back his injured, tired starters.

It's no wonder that he was frustrated. And the starters should be even more ticked off at them than their coach. These kids (KLS, Crystal, Gabby, Batouly) need rest, they need support. Yet all they got was a dismal performance against a dismal team.

Reaction Score
Kyla looked good. She made some solid passes, a few assists, led the team in the huddle and was smart enough to get Z the ball.
You may notice a few times on the bench Kyla stood up telling the starters to do this or that ( pointing). Gotta love that.
I like the way Kyla knows where to be at most times, however she has trouble in any traffic around the basket. She just doesn't go up strong enough. Maybe more playing time fixes this. Lexi came in and took a few hurried shots, and missed . Fine line between confidence and ill advised. MW is a player . I went back and reviewed in stop action the play MW drove the lane after a steal but was blocked. Geno was apparently showing on the sideline that she should have passed. But to who? Phees is trailing the play , Molly is to her left but covered, and Lexi is to her right getting ready to spot eventually. Who exactly was she supposed to pass to, that had a better shot? TIME was 3:12 left second qtr. Geno needs to wind her up and let her play ! I thought Molly played her best game to date. Although stopping in the lane instead of going strong to the rim, and causing a turnover really drove me crazy. MC looks like she is beginning to get it, but she has the craziest shooting style I've ever seen.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And this is why I keep scratching my head. Why didn't Geno play 3 starters and 2 benchers in each of the final 3 quarters, thereby giving some structure to the game and giving the benchers opportunity to play with the starters? It's not as if he's trying to develop a 2nd line, like DePaul.

Maybe he will tomorrow. Maybe the ratio of 2 starters and 3 reserves would work even better. It would get an additional reserve on the floor. That is the purpose of this exercise isn't it? Keeping 2 starters on the floor at all times would not only give the unit on the floor structure, but leadership and stability (guidance) also. This ratio gives the starters more time on the bench (rest) while giving the reserves valuable playing time. I'd like to see Geno play the entire game using that formula, and see what happens.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Besides Z the rest of the bench shot 1 for 13. How is that possible?[/QUOTE]

At one point during the game Geno thought he was Vince Lombardy because he was heard to say........................

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Thinking outside of the box for a moment.................................perhaps a player only film session with a couple of former UConn players might help. Maybe Maya, Tina, Morgan, Dee, Bird, etc. could come on campus for 3-4 hours and talk to and mentor the team.

Nothing else seems be working up to this point. Could UConn survive the injuries that have hit Notre Dame, and continue to win ? Could this team come back from a 23 point deficit to win by 14 as ND did? What they did Thursday in a table-turner for the ages against Tennessee -- from down 23 to winning 84-70 -- wasn't just the "fight" part of the Irish in a never-give-up sense. They fought to establish what has become a staple of McGraw's program: a smart, efficient, dependable offense.

That's how they came all the way back from potential blowout loss to a double-digit victory in South Bend, Indiana. Could UConn do that? Do the Huskies have THAT kind of grit and resolve?

We know the reserves have the skills to play at this level, all they need to do is realize that they have it, then do it. They are just as talented as the other freshmen that are getting it done for other top ranked programs. Embrace the Nike slogan........."Just do it"!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom