So who looked good in Q2 | The Boneyard

So who looked good in Q2

Reaction Score
They played even with Tulsa 16-16. I thought with z in there they did the obvious thing and fed her.

After NP subbed for Z the team predictably searched for O, and it was easier for me to see who was confident and who made plays. Hard to assign grades but Molly made some good plays and one miscue. I thought Combs was steady although nothing flashy (and maybe that's a good thing). No real comments for the others.

On D they played OK, switching a lot, but letting some Memphis players go by them?

Geno said starters in Q3 but I think it would be interesting to see Molly, Combs, Megan, Z, and Gabby start.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
They played even with Tulsa 16-16. I thought with z in there they did the obvious thing and fed her.

After NP subbed for Z the team predictably searched for O, and it was easier for me to see who was confident and who made plays. Hard to assign grades but Molly made some good plays and one miscue. I thought Combs was steady although nothing flashy (and maybe that's a good thing). No real comments for the others.

On D they played OK, switching a lot, but letting some Memphis players go by them?

Geno said starters in Q3 but I think it would be interesting to see Molly, Combs, Megan, Z, and Gabby start.
Tulsa (to answer your thread question)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If I had to choose, I would say Walker. Even Z looked discombobulated playing with the other 4. If Geno really wants to develope a bench, he needs to rotate Walker, Coombs and Bent in with the other starters so at least 60% on the floor KNOW what they are doing. Doing wholesale swapping out 5/5 does not really help build skills. Notice how Molly played with 3 of the core 6? Much better than with soley the other subs.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Molly had a few good moments. Megan was very active defensively in spurts and got her hands on the ball a few times. It will come for her.

Reaction Score
Kyla looked good. She made some solid passes, a few assists, led the team in the huddle and was smart enough to get Z the ball.
You may notice a few times on the bench Kyla stood up telling the starters to do this or that ( pointing). Gotta love that.

Reaction Score
And this is why I keep scratching my head. Why didn't Geno play 3 starters and 2 benchers in each of the final 3 quarters, thereby giving some structure to the game and giving the benchers opportunity to play with the starters? It's not as if he's trying to develop a 2nd line, like DePaul.

Reaction Score
Bent played hard (like she always does) and made a couple of nice passes but she still continues to be reluctant to look for her offense. Defense was a whole different story. She simply could not guard Wakefield tonight. There was a stretch where the player Bent was guarding scored on like 5 consecutive trips down the floor. She was also late on switches a few times that lead to wide open jump shots.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Kyla looked good. She made some solid passes, a few assists, led the team in the huddle and was smart enough to get Z the ball.
You may notice a few times on the bench Kyla stood up telling the starters to do this or that ( pointing). Gotta love that.
All due respect to you, that’s not true and is why Geno yanked her out so soon in Q2 and didn’t reinsert until after the others in the 4th. She tried to force multiple passes into the post when double covered instead of moving the ball to the other side. She also forced up an ill advised shot and didn’t move her feet well in the paint. On the bright side she didn’t commit any fouls tonight. Justine may have to get another guy...just sayin..

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And this is why I keep scratching my head. Why didn't Geno play 3 starters and 2 benchers in each of the final 3 quarters, thereby giving some structure to the game and giving the benchers opportunity to play with the starters? It's not as if he's trying to develop a 2nd line, like DePaul.
Totally agree. He’s a genius and all that, but having a bunch of kids in together who see garbage time only was not bound to look smooth. Maybe he wanted them to see that they aren’t putting in the effort he wants in practice. All along I’ve felt it would be great to see the bench players mixed with starters, 3 or 4, to see how they function. Even the starters had to adjust to a whole new pattern. I guess we will see the next move.

Reaction Score
...Maybe he wanted them to see that they aren’t putting in the effort he wants in practice...
IMO, that is exactly the point he was trying to make. The idea some underclassmen may have, that you can turn it on when it counts and turn it off when it does not count, was exposed as, false. Putting out in practice is a prerequisite to putting out when it counts. It was probably demonstrated tonight.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. He’s a genius and all that, but having a bunch of kids in together who see garbage time only was not bound to look smooth. Maybe he wanted them to see that they aren’t putting in the effort he wants in practice. All along I’ve felt it would be great to see the bench players mixed with starters, 3 or 4, to see how they function. Even the starters had to adjust to a whole new pattern. I guess we will see the next move.

I see a lot of head scratching going on here and don't have a problem with that in the least. I'll go even further and say that the wholesale subbing stunt for all the world looked like a classic display of passive aggression to make some kind of known only to the team point. Then again I only worked in a psych hospital for thirteen years so what the hell do I know about patterns of behavior?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It seemed as if he was trying to show the country why he was not playing the reserves, knowing they would not look good without two or three starters out there with them. It would seem to me the best way to use the bench is as you say, with only one or two out there with the starters. They needed some leadership to look to.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
One thing I think some people are forgetting is that UConn runs the toughest practices in the nation. If their scrimmage team were allowed to compete in the women's NCAA it would win the NC every year. When they scrimmage, they run multiple configurations of players. What you saw in the second quarter is a demonstration of lack of confidence manifested in hesitations. A split second late making a pass enables the defense to get a hand in and disrupt the play. A split second late moving on defense gives a more open shot. The second unit as a team hesitates before making every play. Classic example is Molly's "flub". Instead of going hard to the hoop, she hesitated, conflicted if she should have given the ball up and all was lost. Molly looks good when she plays with the starters, but she facilitates and does not add to the play. She will continue to swing the ball around instead of looking to take the open 3 or penetrate. She has to add to the play when she is with the "big guys".

Reaction Score
The 2 things I saw which had me smh was the poor defensive effort, just a lack of intensity and defensive IQ. The other was the O was not aggressive, over passing and lots of standing around. Z attacked on O but gave up too much on D. I'd like to see a +/- by player.

Besides Z the rest of the bench shot 1 for 13. How is that possible?

Reaction Score
All due respect to you, that’s not true and is why Geno yanked her out so soon in Q2 and didn’t reinsert until after the others in the 4th. She tried to force multiple passes into the post when double covered instead of moving the ball to the other side. She also forced up an ill advised shot and didn’t move her feet well in the paint. On the bright side she didn’t commit any fouls tonight. Justine may have to get another guy...just sayin..

Ah. Your being a bit tough. I'm trying to look on the bright side. Glass half full some times right ! Everyone says I'm too mean so trying to be a touch nicer ha

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno has one of these games every year or two. It was a message game. As you probably noticed, Geno did not do a lot of coaching either. This was a if you guys think you are so smart and don't need to listen and do what the coaches ask, then fine....figure it out for yourself. You reserves all think you should be playing more...fine...go play.

This usually works with the team. Hopefully it works with this group.

Reaction Score
All of the reserves (not counting Z in this) played poorly. 1-13 shooting. And against a weak AAC team?

And with all of the bench players given long minutes to get their game legs under them. This was a telling performance. None of them played well.

Indeed, Walker didn't make a basket last night. What is happening?

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Bent played hard (like she always does) and made a couple of nice passes but she still continues to be reluctant to look for her offense. Defense was a whole different story. She simply could not guard Wakefield tonight. There was a stretch where the player Bent was guarding scored on like 5 consecutive trips down the floor. She was also late on switches a few times that lead to wide open jump shots.
VERY disappointed in Subs ALL of them ! Why does Z keep shooting 3's ?

Reaction Score
Geno has one of these games every year or two. It was a message game. As you probably noticed, Geno did not do a lot of coaching either. This was a if you guys think you are so smart and don't need to listen and do what the coaches ask, then fine....figure it out for yourself. You reserves all think you should be playing more...fine...go play.

This usually works with the team. Hopefully it works with this group.

Your 100% dead on.
I know it's crazy but I think if Geno lost that game he was 100% ok with that.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I see a lot of head scratching going on here and don't have a problem with that in the least. I'll go even further and say that the wholesale subbing stunt for all the world looked like a classic display of passive aggression to make some kind of known only to the team point. Then again I only worked in a psych hospital for thirteen years so what the hell do I know about patterns of behavior?
Geno is just old and cranky. It happens to everyone who lives long enough and is pronounced especially in people who have become spoiled.

Reaction Score
I would be interested in wondering who is officially concerned that Megan Walker is not going to become the player we hoped?
Or do we think " Ah no worries she's learning and has great talent in front of her, she'll be fine".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom