So who looked good in Q2 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So who looked good in Q2

Reaction Score
Geno is just old and cranky. It happens to everyone who lives long enough and is pronounced especially in people who have become spoiled.

Do u think a 30-40 year old Geno would have handled last night differently? In game and/or post game?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I would be interested in wondering who is officially concerned that Megan Walker is not going to become the player we hoped?
Or do we think " Ah no worries she's learning and has great talent in front of her, she'll be fine".

I'm in the latter right now. Stewie didn't come in and set the world on fire either.

Most of the young kids struggle early on.

But man she looked lost defensively out there in the 2nd qtr.

but she did have some active hands to make up for some of it.

Reaction Score
I'm in the latter right now. Stewie didn't come in and set the world on fire either.

Most of the young kids struggle early on.

But man she looked lost defensively out there in the 2nd qtr.

but she did have some active hands to make up for some of it.

I think she'll be fine too. I was just wondering what our boneyard friends think.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think she'll be fine too. I was just wondering what our boneyard friends think.

people tend to underrate learning the defensive concepts. Not every HS coach harps on them.

I was lucky, my HS coach was good friends with one of the prominent assistants on the men's teams from back in the day. So I learned a lot of that stuff. But i was taking guys time to learn it. It wasn't something you could pick up quickly. And even then, before it became automatic and not something robotic. Walker seems to be in the early stages of getting to robotic now.

Reaction Score
I wonder what would happen if the bench players came in and were fantastic...........instead of hitting 1-13 they hit 11-13 and outscored Tulsa 22-5..............would that mean that all is well and they are ready for prime time? I think not.............it was one quarter of one game.............Geno was trying to make a point and he succeeded...........if they had played great he'd just say look who they did it against...............whether he likes it or not, he's going to be needing two or three of those players and probably in big game situations..................they all, coach included need to get back to work

Reaction Score
Do u think a 30-40 year old Geno would have handled last night differently? In game and/or post game?

The younger Geno was maybe a bit over the top from time to time. I believe he blames himself in part for the 2001 team's loss to ND in the Final Four, where they went to halftime with a large lead and he still spent the break yelling at them over relatively trivial things.

Also I seem to recall a story where he was so dismayed by the practice going on, that he hid himself under the bleachers for the duration.

Geno's too old for such antics now...though not too old to make his point in exceedingly blunt ways, like hockey-substituting his bench in out of the blue. :D

Reaction Score
I would be interested in wondering who is officially concerned that Megan Walker is not going to become the player we hoped?
Or do we think " Ah no worries she's learning and has great talent in front of her, she'll be fine".
She will be a superstar

Reaction Score
The younger Geno was maybe a bit over the top from time to time. I believe he blames himself in part for the 2001 team's loss to ND in the Final Four, where they went to halftime with a large lead and he still spent the break yelling at them over relatively trivial things.

Also I seem to recall a story where he was so dismayed by the practice going on, that he hid himself under the bleachers for the duration.

Geno's too old for such antics now...though not too old to make his point in exceedingly blunt ways, like hockey-substituting his bench in out of the blue. :D

One point to bring up again is: Geno did this to himself. What did Geno expect when he put all four bench players in at same time? The best chance at success would have been to sprinkle one a few bench players with the starters.

I agree with some other posters he did this to prove a point. " You guys want the bench here they are". Then throw in gabby, Lou and CD injuries and you get what u got! That simple I think.

Reaction Score
Molly had a few good moments. Megan was very active defensively in spurts and got her hands on the ball a few times. It will come for her.
Megan has an uncanny knack to get open and know where ball is going on defense. At times when she got ball, spacing was poor and others pulled their defender in her way. Not sure if Megan or other issue but seems to have high basketball IQ that didn't fully translate last night.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
One point to bring up again is: Geno did this to himself. What did Geno expect when he put all four bench players in at same time? The best chance at success would have been to sprinkle one a few bench players with the starters.

I agree with some other posters he did this to prove a point. " You guys want the bench here they are". Then throw in gabby, Lou and CD injuries and you get what u got! That simple I think.

Respectfully disagree. Geno wasn't trying to prove a point to anyone on the boneyard. He was trying to prove a point to the subs. That's why they were all thrown in at once. He expected them to do it their way and fail.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. Geno wasn't trying to prove a point to anyone on the boneyard. He was trying to prove a point to the subs. That's why they were all thrown in at once. He expected them to do it their way and fail.

Exactly. As I mentioned at the end of my post. That was one crazy game. Interesting to see who's healthy and not healthy for next game and who plays and who doesn't.. Good times.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
And this is why I keep scratching my head. Why didn't Geno play 3 starters and 2 benchers in each of the final 3 quarters, thereby giving some structure to the game and giving the benchers opportunity to play with the starters? It's not as if he's trying to develop a 2nd line, like DePaul.
Yes, as the erudite Bags delineates, it's difficult to make an assessment because the reserves are playing with each other. If Geno is looking for a player to become part of the rotation, wouldn't a truer test be for each reserve to play 10+ minutes with four of the six regulars?

That said, I feel foolish offering advice to Geno and now will slink into a corner and quietly repent.

Reaction Score
If I had to choose, I would say Walker. Even Z looked discombobulated playing with the other 4. If Geno really wants to develope a bench, he needs to rotate Walker, Coombs and Bent in with the other starters so at least 60% on the floor KNOW what they are doing. Doing wholesale swapping out 5/5 does not really help build skills. Notice how Molly played with 3 of the core 6? Much better than with soley the other subs.

I couldnt agree more. If any of the bench players are going to help the team in close games, they have to have experience playing with at least some of the starters. I thought that was what Coach Auriemma was beginning to develop in a couple games prior to the Texas game. I hope he goes back to that.

Reaction Score
I think it is possible Megan will not emerge as a star for UCONN, but not likely. It depends more on her "psyche " than her talent ( no one questions her talent ).

Geno expects a player like Meg ( nation's top rated women's BB player last year ) to respond positively to his disparaging remarks, and extended time on the bench. He has undoubtedly seen it before. She apparently, like the other reserves , cannot do the " right thing" twice in practice yet, and we are in Mid-January. And we have to believe him.

But she could be a kid who responds to praise rather than negativity. If so, she made the wrong choice of school, and she will not emerge as a super star, with her name on the wall at UCONN. I certainly have confidence that Geno knows what he is doing. And I hope that this team, led by a huge contribution from Megan, will get better. Just as an aside, has anyone ever seen her smile?

But the message from yesterday, for all the world to see ( on court interview; press
conference ), will not serve well as a recruiting tool ( except for our competitors ), and might not work as a motivational tool either. Geno communicated an attitude which suggested, " I made a mistake recruiting these kids because they won't listen to me. And I have lost my patience with them. I won't bother trying to coach them anymore because I have tried that, and you saw the result ( the most disgraceful example of basketball I have seen here in my 32 years, and everyone who paid to see us should get their money back). So I am done."

This is not the message we are used to seeing and hearing from coach, or from anyone at UCONN. It conflicts with the previously consistent message where, " the UCONN staff brings out the best in players on the court and off. The staff is demanding and the players have to work hard. But the results are worth the effort."

Combine the taste in everyone's mouth from yesterday's game and player assessments, however, with the recent ( and as yet unexplained) departure of AEH, and the seeds of doubt begin to grow. I cannot recall a season that began with such optimism ( great starting five, re-juvinated Crystal, Azura and Camara eligible, and a recruiting class including the number 1 and number 16 players in the country, and a "chip" on UCONN's shoulder ), and which now sits in such disarray and doubt.

As we sit here today, digesting yesterday's performance and coach outburst, it is easy to experience this
undefeated ( as yet ) team as a loser in most every aspect of the word. Hard to believe. And we likely should not think this way.

But fascinating to watch.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

We are absolutely on the same page with this and I liked the way you stated it-"sprinkle one of the bench (removed few) players in with the starters" so they have continuity. That you have 3/4 players who know exactly what to do, how to switch and how to move the ball. I, in particular, was watching Lexi when she went in the game with the 4 other subs and due to the subs scrambling on defense-not sure when to switch, Lexi in particular was scrambling too late and that's why the 3 point shooters were wide open. And then when they managed to get there with the leaving their feet, the Tulsa team drove past them for the layups that Geno was irritated with Z about. That doesn't happen with Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, KLS and Crystal Dangerfield. So if the issue is to get KLS and Crystal Dangerfield rest due to bumps and other issues, than he needs to work Megan and Coombs into this rotation. Personally, I think Batouly would be a strong presence with better quickness down on the block but she didn't even get in the game yesterday. Very odd to me. But what do I know, my resume has 0 conference titles let alone any NCAA titles so I will gladly defer to Geno.

Reaction Score
"...But the message from yesterday, for all the world to see ( on court interview; press conference ), will not serve well as a recruiting tool ( except for our competitors ), and might not work as a motivational tool either. Geno communicated an attitude which suggested, " I made a mistake recruiting these kids because they won't listen to me. And I have lost my patience with them. I won't bother trying to coach them anymore because I have tried that, and you saw the result ( the most disgraceful example of basketball I have seen here in my 32 years, and everyone who paid to see us should get their money back). So I am done."

This is not the message we are used to seeing and hearing from coach, or from anyone at UCONN. It conflicts with the previously consistent message where, " the UCONN staff brings out the best in players on the court and off. The staff is demanding and the players have to work hard. But the results are worth the effort."

Combine the taste in everyone's mouth from yesterday's game and player assessments, however, with the recent ( and as yet unexplained) departure of AEH, and the seeds of doubt begin to grow. I cannot recall a season that began with such optimism ( great starting five, re-juvinated Crystal, Azura and Camara eligible, and a recruiting class including the number 1 and number 16 players in the country, and a "chip" on UCONN's shoulder ), and which now sits in such disarray and doubt. ...."

I agree with so much about what Long Time Fan has written. There is no need for Geno to be so public with his negative comments. I am sure his practices and comments during the practices are hard enough on the younger players. I see more risks incurred on so many fronts by making his harangue so public. It smacks of ego and by this point in his life he should have that under control, IMO.

Reaction Score
Ah, remember the good old days--like at the beginning of the season--where the most pressing question was "With all this talent, how will Geno find enough minutes for all his players?"

Let's see:
5 starters, 3 are injured.
2 transfers, 1 is injured.
4 heralded freshmen, 1 left. The remaining 3 plus the 2 sophs are hardly lighting up the night sky.

I think we can put that question to rest.

Reaction Score
I think it is possible Megan will not emerge as a star for UCONN, but not likely. It depends more on her "psyche " than her talent ( no one questions her talent ).

Geno expects a player like Meg ( nation's top rated women's BB player last year ) to respond positively to his disparaging remarks, and extended time on the bench. He has undoubtedly seen it before. She apparently, like the other reserves , cannot do the " right thing" twice in practice yet, and we are in Mid-January. And we have to believe him.

But she could be a kid who responds to praise rather than negativity. If so, she made the wrong choice of school, and she will not emerge as a super star, with her name on the wall at UCONN. I certainly have confidence that Geno knows what he is doing. And I hope that this team, led by a huge contribution from Megan, will get better. Just as an aside, has anyone ever seen her smile?

But the message from yesterday, for all the world to see ( on court interview; press
conference ), will not serve well as a recruiting tool ( except for our competitors ), and might not work as a motivational tool either. Geno communicated an attitude which suggested, " I made a mistake recruiting these kids because they won't listen to me. And I have lost my patience with them. I won't bother trying to coach them anymore because I have tried that, and you saw the result ( the most disgraceful example of basketball I have seen here in my 32 years, and everyone who paid to see us should get their money back). So I am done."

Combine the taste in everyone's mouth from yesterday's game and player assessments, however, with the recent ( and as yet unexplained) departure of AEH, and the seeds of doubt begin to grow. I cannot recall a season that began with such optimism ( great starting five, re-juvinated Crystal, Azura and Camara eligible, and a recruiting class including the number 1 and number 16 players in the country, and a "chip" on UCONN's shoulder ), and which now sits in such disarray and doubt.

As we sit here today, digesting yesterday's performance and coach outburst, it is easy to experience this
undefeated ( as yet ) team as a loser in most every aspect of the word. Hard to believe. And we likely should not think this way.

But fascinating to watch.

This is really a fantastic post. Much respect

Reaction Score
We are absolutely on the same page with this and I liked the way you stated it-"sprinkle one of the bench (removed few) players in with the starters" so they have continuity. That you have 3/4 players who know exactly what to do, how to switch and how to move the ball. I, in particular, was watching Lexi when she went in the game with the 4 other subs and due to the subs scrambling on defense-not sure when to switch, Lexi in particular was scrambling too late and that's why the 3 point shooters were wide open. And then when they managed to get there with the leaving their feet, the Tulsa team drove past them for the layups that Geno was irritated with Z about. That doesn't happen with Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, KLS and Crystal Dangerfield. So if the issue is to get KLS and Crystal Dangerfield rest due to bumps and other issues, than he needs to work Megan and Coombs into this rotation. Personally, I think Batouly would be a strong presence with better quickness down on the block but she didn't even get in the game yesterday. Very odd to me. But what do I know, my resume has 0 conference titles let alone any NCAA titles so I will gladly defer to Geno.

Great post. Thank u

Reaction Score
Whats interesting to me, is that he puts in the "Bench" ....not individual subs as needed. The "Bench" has NO point guard. The passes that are made are late and telegraphed, tipped or stolen. The "Bench" then looks lousy. The guard who won't shoot causes the player guarding her to play back, clogging the lane for everyone else.

Reaction Score
I thought Molly looked good. Unfortunately, she also looked bad. I did like her intensity.

It is hard to get a fair assessment when ALL the subs are together, because they are at a disadvantage of not playing with the starters (better players.)

Z - is like a starter (type) so not much to comment on
MW - I would like to see an impact player as she has already shown she could be, but it needs to be consistent. I personally think she is a player that would benefit (confidence and timing) from more run, and conference games would be perfect.
Molly - I will just say that I do not feel confident with the ball in her hands (especially at a fast pace) but root for her because I know she cares and tries very hard.
Kyla - If she can come in and just hold her own doing the basics for this year in big games I would take that... she can grow to be an impact player but not a star.
Combs - I think she has a tremendous upside. I think she can contribute and not just fill in, even this year if she continues to improve.

I think she will be AA by junior year... at that time we will look back to remind ourselves 99% of the players struggle quite a bit in their freshman year. I am holding out that she will be making an impact in March.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom