So, Who Are You Watching On Saturdays? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So, Who Are You Watching On Saturdays?

Reaction Score
I love UConn basketball and I love UConn football. If one kills the other, they are both dead to me.
It’s fans like this that shows why we are not ready for P5 football.

Come back to the cemetery anytime.

Reaction Score
I'm not writing off the football program. I expect to end up in a better place than the doomsayers are predicting. I'll be driving down very early from Boston to tailgate with a great group of people. And I'll stay to the end of every game. I refuse to let this move dampen my enthusiasm for Husky football. You guys can watch the Champions League, go on bike rides or tune into HGTV.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Chicago Cubs fan since 1967. New England Patriots fan since 1976. For college sports, UConn FB and SMU FB (both of my schools).

Locally in Dallas, I go to Texas Rangers games. We get a new stadium next year!

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
IF UConn football dies (and it's likely that sooner or later it will), then college football will be what the NHL is since the Whalers left - dead to me. Don't think I can stomach losing another team to root for.

So disenchanted with this state and its fan base right now.
I could have written the same words.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Given I'm around five miles outside of Boulder, I feel an obligation to go for CU but they've stunk up the joint in football too (not as bad as UConn of course - that takes special skill).

Same as you, I dropped hockey when the Whalers left. Never been an NBA fan. I've got the Yankees, the NY Football Giants and UConn.

I watched CU last year and Laviska Shenault is absurdly talented. Worth going to watch them even if just to watching Shenault

Reaction Score
I'm not writing off the football program. I expect to end up in a better place than the doomsayers are predicting. I'll be driving down very early from Boston to tailgate with a great group of people. And I'll stay to the end of every game. I refuse to let this move dampen my enthusiasm for Husky football. You guys can watch the Champions League, go on bike rides or tune into HGTV.

Champions League is on Tues/Wed. Most of it is on streaming so I expect most of our fan base doesn’t know how to access it.

Reaction Score

Look at Mr. Positive with the arrogant condescension.

Reaction Score
Chicago Cubs fan since 1967. New England Patriots fan since 1977. For college sports, UConn FB and SMU FB (both of my schools).

Locally in Dallas, I go to Texas Rangers games. We get a new stadium next year!

Hey, kind of an oddball question, but were you UCONN-SMU on CSNbbs?

Reaction Score
I"ll bet it was no more irrationally hostile than UConn men's only BB fans are toward UConn football.

No it’s actually worse. It’s basically the AAC version of 4chan.

Reaction Score
Fandom is funny thing. I am a college sports guy (primarily football but have been watching basketball about the last 5 years) and I sometimes just "adopt" a team/s to follow beyond my alma mater.

I started checking out UConn in 2013.

Random circumstances...Maybe I get to know a team from their board and a community of posters..or, like WVU, who I have followed for 37 years, thru a personal connection.

We went to a bowl game against WVU in 1982..sat next to a young Mountaineer couple...we ended up going out together after the game and exchanged phone numbers with the obligatory "if you are ever coming our way".

Well...they actually did, we took them sailing, put them up...we both had a boy within months of each other and have shared many vacations as they grew up. The boys are like cousins.

I follow Auburn because my uncle, brother, sister's boy, and cousin are Auburn grads.

Reaction Score
Look at Mr. Positive with the arrogant condescension.
Nothing arrogant about it. Are we UConn football fans or not? Are these kids not worthy of our support? Statements by some that our new Independent status will now give them the opportunity to stay home and watch HGTV shows or Liverpool soccer or take bike rides—at a time when the program needs maximum support from those that care the most—is more a sad commentary than an arrogant rant. People are certainly free to use their time in whatever way suits them. But it seems to me that those on this board should be held to a higher standard and statements like “the football program is dead to me” are nothing to be proud of.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Nothing arrogant about it. Are we UConn football fans or not? Are these kids not worthy of our support? Statements by some that our new Independent status will now give them the opportunity to stay home and watch HGTV shows or Liverpool soccer or take bike rides—at a time when the program needs maximum support from those that care the most—is more a sad commentary than an arrogant rant. People are certainly free to use their time in whatever way suits them. But it seems to me that those on this board should be held to a higher standard and statements like “the football program is dead to me” are nothing to be proud of.
I’m still a fan. I still have a UConn sticker on my car.

But with this change, I won’t live and die on every play. I remember the pain of the Navy game a few years ago. I’ll never reach that level of emotion again.

Reaction Score
I’m still a fan. I still have a UConn sticker on my car.

But with this change, I won’t live and die on every play. I remember the pain of the Navy game a few years ago. I’ll never reach that level of emotion again.
Live and die on every play? Get real.

Your pain pales in comparison to that of the players. But they know losing is part of the game. They need fans to cheer them in victory and support them in defeat. You seem to get personal gratification from the first but refuse the second.

Do us a favor and peel that sticker off your bumper.

Reaction Score
Being a die hard fan of a team really is a lifetime committment...like the marriages of our ggrandparents.

For better and worse until they shovel the dirt on you.

I know, that in my almost 50 years since graduation, I have cheered, laughed, and mourned. Torn off my game shirt and threw it in the middle of the road in frustration, bought a bottle of champagne and celebrated a bowl win (and we conceived our son, the Peach Bowl boy).

It was a common language that father-son spoke in a "free zone" during the difficult teen years. It still is.

God bless the die hard fans....sometimes it is a thorny path.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
love the team, pissed at the school

Being a die hard fan of a team really is a lifetime committment...like the marriages of our ggrandparents.

For better and worse until they shovel the dirt on you.

I know, that in my almost 50 years since graduation, I have cheered, laughed, and mourned. Torn off my game shirt and threw it in the middle of the road in frustration, bought a bottle of champagne and celebrated a bowl win (and we conceived our son, the Peach Bowl boy).

It was a common language that father-son spoke in a "free zone" during the difficult teen years. It still is.

God bless the die hard fans....sometimes it is a thorny path.

Reaction Score
Being newly wed, my wife went to LSU and is a huge football/basketball fan. Considering our athletic program will cease to exist in 20 years, may as well start my fandom now.

Reaction Score
Being newly wed, my wife went to LSU and is a huge football/basketball fan. Considering our athletic program will cease to exist in 20 years, may as well start my fandom now.
That’s the great thing about die hard fans. With the snap of a finger they can be reincarnated.

Reaction Score
love the team, pissed at the school
I hear you RedSoloCup....root for the teams, be angry with the people at the top that made so many bad decisions to get us to this point. I hope the Independent thing works. I will be there to support them.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Live and die on every play? Get real.

Your pain pales in comparison to that of the players. But they know losing is part of the game. They need fans to cheer them in victory and support them in defeat. You seem to get personal gratification from the first but refuse the second.

Do us a favor and peel that sticker off your bumper.
#1 sign of an ass: giving unsolicited advice.

Reaction Score
I was. I don’t think I’ve been there for three or four years. That board was irrationally hostile to UConn.

I was wondering what happened to you.

Funny story: I got perma-banned there a while ago. I forget how long its been, but it's been at least a year since I got banned.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I was wondering what happened to you.

Funny story: I got perma-banned there a while ago. I forget how long its been, but it's been at least a year since I got banned.
Lots of Southerners on that board who hated Cincinnati, Temple, and especially
UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom