So, Who Are You Watching On Saturdays? | The Boneyard

So, Who Are You Watching On Saturdays?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I grew up as a Red Sox, 76'ers, LA Rams, Whalers and UConn basketball fan. As football went D1 I definitely did my best to follow and keep up with it.

I died out on the 76'ers after Barkley left. My first interest was the Dr. J years and the early 80's. Since then I haven't "rooted" for the 76'ers ever. Never did pick up another NBA team. Through the 80's and 90's I watched NBA almost nightly. Life came along and I don't know if I watched 10 NBA games this year.

Rams. Jack and Jim Youngblood, Nolan Cromwell, Eric Dickerson. Loved me them late 70's and early 80's Rams. When Dickerson went to the Colts I stopped following the Rams. Never did pick up another NFL team. Where I live in the western panhandle of Florida it's mostly Saints country. I end up watching most of the Sunday night games because, well, it's Sunday night. Usually end up at someone's house for the early games. I don't know the last time I watched MNF unless I'm travelling for work and am shacked up in a hotel room.

Whalers. Same thing. When they left, I pretty much stopped watching. Saw most of the NHL finals and go to a couple of minor league hockey games locally. I barely recognize the sport now and couldn't name five NHL players.

UConn football, if the school goes independent, I think I'm in for the ride if they get some scheduling assistance from Fox and their properties. If UConn joins some lower tier G5 league, I'm punching out.

UConn basketball I've been able to stay faithful all along and same with the BoSox.

So, as I'm approaching 50 years old, there are basically two teams I've rooted for since I was a young kid- UConn basketball and Red Sox baseball.

I'm deep in ACC and SEC country and have no shortage of college games to watch every Saturday. I imagine I'll go the way of NFL and just watch for general interest but never pick up another team. I can't see me wearing or buying another team's colors.

Reaction Score
I grew up as a Red Sox, 76'ers, LA Rams, Whalers and UConn basketball fan. As football went D1 I definitely did my best to follow and keep up with it.

I died out on the 76'ers after Barkley left. My first interest was the Dr. J years and the early 80's. Since then I haven't "rooted" for the 76'ers ever. Never did pick up another NBA team. Through the 80's and 90's I watched NBA almost nightly. Life came along and I don't know if I watched 10 NBA games this year.

Rams. Jack and Jim Youngblood, Nolan Cromwell, Eric Dickerson. Loved me them late 70's and early 80's Rams. When Dickerson went to the Colts I stopped following the Rams. Never did pick up another NFL team. Where I live in the western panhandle of Florida it's mostly Saints country. I end up watching most of the Sunday night games because, well, it's Sunday night. Usually end up at someone's house for the early games. I don't know the last time I watched MNF unless I'm travelling for work and am shacked up in a hotel room.

Whalers. Same thing. When they left, I pretty much stopped watching. Saw most of the NHL finals and go to a couple of minor league hockey games locally. I barely recognize the sport now and couldn't name five NHL players.

UConn football, if the school goes independent, I think I'm in for the ride if they get some scheduling assistance from Fox and their properties. If UConn joins some lower tier G5 league, I'm punching out.

UConn basketball I've been able to stay faithful all along and same with the BoSox.

So, as I'm approaching 50 years old, there are basically two teams I've rooted for since I was a young kid- UConn basketball and Red Sox baseball.

I'm deep in ACC and SEC country and have no shortage of college games to watch every Saturday. I imagine I'll go the way of NFL and just watch for general interest but never pick up another team. I can't see me wearing or buying another team's colors.

As UConn football has circled the drain, my interest in soccer has boomed.

I can watch games in the morning and have afternoons clear to do other things.

I used to schedule R&R around UConn games. I used buy last minute tickets and go see UConn play Ohio U on a whim. I would never do that now.

I don’t have the time to travel like I used to to UConn games and we’ve been so bad it’s tough to justify.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
add lacrosse!

I don't understand lacrosse and I certainly don't understand esports, but if that excites the kids who actually attend UConn or are considering UConn, then hell, I'm all for it.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Given I'm around five miles outside of Boulder, I feel an obligation to go for CU but they've stunk up the joint in football too (not as bad as UConn of course - that takes special skill).

Same as you, I dropped hockey when the Whalers left. Never been an NBA fan. I've got the Yankees, the NY Football Giants and UConn.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Alum and former season ticket holder for football, hoops, and men's soccer. Roll out to play App State, I will go. I could never follow another school for any sport. Getting jacked up by 50 points a game the last season has got to be worse than whatever's coming our way.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Alum and former season ticket holder for football, hoops, and men's soccer. Roll out to play App State, I will go. I could never follow another school for any sport. Getting jacked up by 50 points a game the last season has got to be worse than whatever's coming our way.

Living in Pittsburgh, I have only attended one game at the Rent in the past half dozen years (which apparently puts me ahead of a whole lot of other alumni). But watching UConn football on TV while participating in the game threads on BY chat has never failed to deliver a humorous experience. I don't see that changing in the immediate future.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Because I could listen to them on my new clock radio that I got when I was 6.

Reaction Score
IF UConn football dies (and it's likely that sooner or later it will), then college football will be what the NHL is since the Whalers left - dead to me. Don't think I can stomach losing another team to root for.

So disenchanted with this state and its fan base right now.

Reaction Score
IF UConn football dies (and it's likely that sooner or later it will), then college football will be what the NHL is since the Whalers left - dead to me. Don't think I can stomach losing another team to root for.

If you are off from work Wednesday, let them know how you feel.

Board Agenda | Board of Trustees

Reaction Score

It’s basically been dead to me since the AAC came to be and the conference is locked out of the CFP.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because I could listen to them on my new clock radio that I got when I was 6.

Was it channel 8 who broadcast UConn bball in the Corny Thompson, Mike McKay and Norman Bailey years?
We'd watch games in rec room of house and would use a pencil to make a "basket" on a cross beam.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Not sure who I’ll follow now that football is dead. Or on life support, whatever. Small minded CT.

Maybe kick in a little more to see my pro team. My kids are hitting high school, maybe some local interest for a while.

I will miss the tailgate scene, that has been pretty awesome over the years. But it will make snowbirding easier!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I'll be watching UConn football on Saturdays. Bank on it.

"What do we say to the god of death?"

"We say, 'Not today...'"

Reaction Score
Still watching UConn. It's not an either/or with other good teams, wife's school (CU) and HS football. I can be disappointed if things get rough, even disgusted. But it's way too early and I'm way too old to throw a tantrum over the fact we have few good options and the 100 reasons we got to this point.

Reaction Score
Given I'm around five miles outside of Boulder, I feel an obligation to go for CU but they've stunk up the joint in football too (not as bad as UConn of course - that takes special skill).

Same as you, I dropped hockey when the Whalers left. Never been an NBA fan. I've got the Yankees, the NY Football Giants and UConn.

You forgot to add New York Baseball to the Yankees.

Reaction Score
Gonna get off my ass and get on my Trek road bike or get out kayaking more. On rest days, UConn hockey, UConn soccer, Quinnipiac soccer. Maybe even the gym to get ready for the ski season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom