Votes: 80 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You never know. Oregon and Baylor used to reside at the bottom of their conferences for a long time.
Yeah. But we no longer have a conference

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Reminder: No transfer speculation.

Are you referring to the two players I had mentioned? Well I won't bring up their names again if you prefer, but it was mentioned in the Hartford Courant that they participated in senior day activities because they weren't going to continue on. If I got the report wrong, my apologies. I actually want them to stay...

Reaction Score
I doubt Randy doesn't get another year and it's a legit thought process if you're an AD concerned about an impact on future hires. But I also feel that if a Coach is confident he can bring measurable improvement to a struggling program in 3 seasons he's not going to be overly concerned about a "quick trigger". He knows he was hired to win games.
And to anyone who thinks we would set ourselves back by firing a Coach and starting over I have to ask. Set back to where? Where are we headed now?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Are you referring to the two players I had mentioned? Well I won't bring up their names again if you prefer, but it was mentioned in the Hartford Courant that they participated in senior day activities because they weren't going to continue on. If I got the report wrong, my apologies. I actually want them to stay...

It was just a general reminder to everyone.

Reaction Score
Just fire him whenever possible in the next couple of days. There will be coaches available who understand a modern approach to the game of football....that's what UConn needs now.

Reaction Score
Preseason article not unlike thousands of other preseason articles. He is a fine player but Rose is better. You really think he would have made a big difference?
You don’t push out the kids that give their heart and sole to the program. You build it around them...Davis’ impact as a leader is bigger then statistical output.

Reaction Score
You don’t push out the kids that give their heart and sole to the program. You build it around them...Davis’ impact as a leader is bigger then statistical output.

You have evidence of a push out? More likely Davis who was a starter here received another opportunity and he decided to leave, I highly doubt he was pushed out. Rose ended up having a good year for us and is probably a legit pro prospect.

It was also well documented that the kid who went to Cincy wanted to be closer to home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don’t know if he was pushed or not, my point is the narrative that there was an exodus of impact players, is false. I missed your point about ND playing more P5 games. You are right but my point stands. The schedule is much more interesting (except ND).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Its not. Its stuck in quicksand. It really bothers me that Edsall and some like Orlovsky were so critical of the program under Diaco. We all agree Diaco had to go but there is no defense of Edsall at this point either.

Let's not lump Edsall in with Diaco please. How many fake punts per game did we average this season?

All this says to me is that a FB team is a single entity comprised of many different parts. You need them all working to have success. I'm happy that Tyler had a good season, that is a function of being surrounded by better players.

People are looking for chicken salad when we are cleary lacking the ingredients for said recipe at the moment.

It looks like we will have at least one serviceable QB next season.
I'd like to see a second RB emerge and wouldn't mind more power I formations if we can execute them.
I like our WR group coming back, they were the highlight on offense.
We have 35 potential TE's on the roster, we'll be fine there. I hope couple can block.
The OL will be the big ?, as it has for years. This group had it's moments this season after a couple years of being really terrible. If you want to judge Edsall, look here as this is the only group that had upperclassmen who had a more that one year in the Edsall program. RE can still make players better. Can the next group step up quickly? They'll need to.

On D, I am concerned. We are playing True/RS Freshman and Sophomores almost exclusively. These are Edsall guys mostly and they are unlikely to be replaced by new recruits over the next couple years. This is the true test of the Edsall program.

The DL needs to get stronger and learn their techniques. There hasn't been a group that's been more of a non-factor in the last 5 years (3-3-5 era is duly noted). Many of the D issues start here.

LB position has fallen the furthest, can't defend wide, can't get off blocks, can't cover. Some of blame belongs to the DL, but as a group this used to be a strength. The young guys played better, but not nearly well enough. I'd like to see a leader emerge to become the face of the defense.

The secondary has been embarrassed the last two seasons. We know the story, too young, bad reads. They won't be too young next season. They actually defended passes this year and had a few INTs. They also got burned deep at least 3-4 times a game. Eliminate that and we will have something. The personnel won't change next season. This is another test of the Edsall program. He wanted to play the young guys to get them experience. Well, next year they have it. If next October, people are still howling for Edsall to go, you can cite this as reason number one.

Our ST, seem to be in good shape. Luke will be a RS junior (he is 24, so it will likely be his last season) and Harris seems fine. Our return game in this era of fewer actual returns is also fine, though I would love to see at least one Kick Return TD next season.

We didn't hire Edsall as a game manager. We hired him to rebuild the program. Next season he will have a full roster of his guys, though most didn't get to redshirt, but it's time to see the results on the field. Road wins will be harder to come by next year so winning home games will be the litmus test on whether he continues as coach.

If I'm Randy, I make darn sure I find a couple of OL and LB whether they are on the roster or in the transfer market that will contribute next season. I also lock the DB's in the film room and both lines in the weight room.

Is it weird that I'm more excited for next season than I was for this season?

Reaction Score
You have evidence of a push out? More likely Davis who was a starter here received another opportunity and he decided to leave, I highly doubt he was pushed out. Rose ended up having a good year for us and is probably a legit pro prospect.

It was also well documented that the kid who went to Cincy wanted to be closer to home.
Is there evidence Davis wasn’t???
It’s been pretty well documented that Edsall has “his guys”. Conversation with Arkeel confirm that to be true.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope DB has a finger on the pulse of the locker room. We can’t afford an exodus of guys, whether Randy is kept or let go. At some point we need to stop relying on freshmen and sophomores every year.

I think at a minimum, the OC position needs to be re-evaluated. Guiffre was less than stellar as a play caller and his unit was the biggest underperformer this year IMO. He was adequate as a bandaid fix, but he can’t be the future.

Reaction Score
You have evidence of a push out? More likely Davis who was a starter here received another opportunity and he decided to leave, I highly doubt he was pushed out.
Is there evidence Davis wasn’t???
Might be worth a read... Remember Davis was part of Edsall’s Leadership Council. The transfer seemed more a life choice than a football choice and after the swirling 4 years he had in Storrs it was his call.

Reaction Score
The thing that really bugs me is how UConn can play lights out good football in most of the first quarters this year and then the wheels come off and by the fourth quarter you could see guys phoning it in. I know depth is still an issue and the team is still pretty young as a whole but these guys are for the most part in their teens or very early 20's. They can't go four quarters?

Reaction Score
Let's not lump Edsall in with Diaco please. How many fake punts per game did we average this season?

All this says to me is that a FB team is a single entity comprised of many different parts. You need them all working to have success. I'm happy that Tyler had a good season, that is a function of being surrounded by better players.

People are looking for chicken salad when we are cleary lacking the ingredients for said recipe at the moment.

It looks like we will have at least one serviceable QB next season.
I'd like to see a second RB emerge and wouldn't mind more power I formations if we can execute them.
I like our WR group coming back, they were the highlight on offense.
We have 35 potential TE's on the roster, we'll be fine there. I hope couple can block.
The OL will be the big ?, as it has for years. This group had it's moments this season after a couple years of being really terrible. If you want to judge Edsall, look here as this is the only group that had upperclassmen who had a more that one year in the Edsall program. RE can still make players better. Can the next group step up quickly? They'll need to.

On D, I am concerned. We are playing True/RS Freshman and Sophomores almost exclusively. These are Edsall guys mostly and they are unlikely to be replaced by new recruits over the next couple years. This is the true test of the Edsall program.

The DL needs to get stronger and learn their techniques. There hasn't been a group that's been more of a non-factor in the last 5 years (3-3-5 era is duly noted). Many of the D issues start here.

LB position has fallen the furthest, can't defend wide, can't get off blocks, can't cover. Some of blame belongs to the DL, but as a group this used to be a strength. The young guys played better, but not nearly well enough. I'd like to see a leader emerge to become the face of the defense.

The secondary has been embarrassed the last two seasons. We know the story, too young, bad reads. They won't be too young next season. They actually defended passes this year and had a few INTs. They also got burned deep at least 3-4 times a game. Eliminate that and we will have something. The personnel won't change next season. This is another test of the Edsall program. He wanted to play the young guys to get them experience. Well, next year they have it. If next October, people are still howling for Edsall to go, you can cite this as reason number one.

Our ST, seem to be in good shape. Luke will be a RS junior (he is 24, so it will likely be his last season) and Harris seems fine. Our return game in this era of fewer actual returns is also fine, though I would love to see at least one Kick Return TD next season.

We didn't hire Edsall as a game manager. We hired him to rebuild the program. Next season he will have a full roster of his guys, though most didn't get to redshirt, but it's time to see the results on the field. Road wins will be harder to come by next year so winning home games will be the litmus test on whether he continues as coach.

If I'm Randy, I make darn sure I find a couple of OL and LB whether they are on the roster or in the transfer market that will contribute next season. I also lock the DB's in the film room and both lines in the weight room.

Is it weird that I'm more excited for next season than I was for this season?
We need another DT to add to that rotation too, or hope someone we already have makes a leap fwd and help provide adequate depth. That and a true edge rusher with speed.
Lastly, we need guys that can simply TACKLE.

Reaction Score
We need another DT to add to that rotation too, or hope someone we already have makes a leap fwd and help provide adequate depth. That and a true edge rusher with speed.
Lastly, we need guys that can simply TACKLE.

definitely need to find a player with speed to utilize opposite Kevon Jones on passing downs. We have been missing a player like that (like Trevardo Williams) for years.

Reaction Score
This program is desperately in need of momentum and confidence.....and needs to get it anyway it can. That includes a schedule where there are some potential wins.

Next season has seven games where we should have a reasonable shot at Ws. I don’t see any way we win @Illinois, @Virginia, Indiana, @Ol’Miss or @UNC. Hopefully we can hang with the rest.

Next season has to show progress which I think looks like 4-5 wins and competitive football. Without that reasonable folks will agree that the Edsall rebuild isn’t working.

Reaction Score
Should have hired Mike Leach, years ago after he was let go at Texas Tech. He would have created offensive excitment that has almost never existed at UConn. The Huskies will never be a player at this level until they can score at will and win shootout games (UConn 52-Temple 49). The only exception to the dull (impotent) offense have been the Dan O era, the second half of the Easley year ('09), the last three games of the Cochran year ('13) and stretch of '17 with Sherriffs at QB, until RE began to shutdown the offense to protect a pitiful defense. These were actually exciting stretches of UConn football and the offense made it such.

Reaction Score
This program is desperately in need of momentum and confidence.....and needs to get it anyway it can. That includes a schedule where there are some potential wins.

Next season has seven games where we should have a reasonable shot at Ws. I don’t see any way we win @Illinois, @Virginia, Indiana, @Ol’Miss or @UNC. Hopefully we can hang with the rest.

Next season has to show progress which I think looks like 4-5 wins and competitive football. Without that reasonable folks will agree that the Edsall rebuild isn’t working.

It’s pretty clear now that it isn’t.

Reaction Score
Might be worth a read... Remember Davis was part of Edsall’s Leadership Council. The transfer seemed more a life choice than a football choice and after the swirling 4 years he had in Storrs it was his call.

Good read. Davis is a smart kid and will do well outside of football. He clearly was in search of a challenge. Something he found w/ Matt Balis’ and clearly didn’t see that happening in Storrs under Klein (and in not so many words Edsall).

He also wanted to reconnect with the kind of culture he experienced in the off-seasons at UConn. His former strength coach, Matt Balis, left after his redshirt freshman season for a similar position at Notre Dame. Balis worked with Lew Caralla, Georgia Tech’s strength and conditioning coach, at Mississippi State. Davis saw plenty of similarities in their offseason programs and wanted that challenge again.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wherever we go it needs to have stable QB play. Saw this a few minutes ago. Not speculating and if it's seen as me doing so then take it down. Beaudry had a tough go but we could use the depth. Not sure Jack Zergiotis is the answer and I think Steven Krajewski is. Will be interesting to see if we can find someone to settle the position down and get consistency. An OC that lasts more than a year might help too.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Despite what some say about Diaco, I would have liked to see a Lashlee/Diaco team. I think we’d be having a different conversation today.
1575316385948.png

No.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah, I should have made that clearer. Probably skewed the data but I'm not sure in which direction...
Toward staying, I think. It did for me anyway.

Reaction Score
I hope DB has a finger on the pulse of the locker room. We can’t afford an exodus of guys, whether Randy is kept or let go. At some point we need to stop relying on freshmen and sophomores every year.

I think at a minimum, the OC position needs to be re-evaluated. Guiffre was less than stellar as a play caller and his unit was the biggest underperformer this year IMO. He was adequate as a bandaid fix, but he can’t be the future.
I changed my vote. It’s time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom