So... What's next for recruiting??! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So... What's next for recruiting??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
At the moment the 2016 team has 8-10 players depending on what Butler and Tuck decide to do regarding their fifth years. Starters playing 25 minutes per game leave 75 minutes per game for non-starters which is a fair amount of time to be divied up. Add in bumps, bruises, and illness and it for stretches of the season it can be a lot more. We have no idea how the 2014 class will develop either, nor truly how Chong, Tuck, and Butler will develop. For kids who want to play 30+ minutes their freshman year, they either have to be truly phenomenal or they have to go to less strong programs with much longer odds of making the FF and even then there are no guarantees.
As an example - a lot of us were quite high on Harper who ended up at KY last year, a team that only made it to the Sw16. She averaged 14 minutes a game with zero starts. For most HS players the transition to college really is a huge step up in competition and only a few will get to start and very few teams with starting freshman make a lot of post season noise.

Just a guess, but I'm willing to bet both those players return for their 5th year. Hard to believe Butler would transfer to play just two years and also seems like the kind of stay in school kid. Morgan will need as much time as she can get post injury, and as of right now, the minutes are there. If injuries end up derailing her career (god forbid), then yes, I could see a KW type of situation unfolding.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
At the moment the 2016 team has 8-10 players depending on what Butler and Tuck decide to do regarding their fifth years. Starters playing 25 minutes per game leave 75 minutes per game for non-starters which is a fair amount of time to be divied up. Add in bumps, bruises, and illness and it for stretches of the season it can be a lot more. We have no idea how the 2014 class will develop either, nor truly how Chong, Tuck, and Butler will develop. For kids who want to play 30+ minutes their freshman year, they either have to be truly phenomenal or they have to go to less strong programs with much longer odds of making the FF and even then there are no guarantees.
As an example - a lot of us were quite high on Harper who ended up at KY last year, a team that only made it to the Sw16. She averaged 14 minutes a game with zero starts. For most HS players the transition to college really is a huge step up in competition and only a few will get to start and very few teams with starting freshman make a lot of post season noise.

I don't see why Butler or Tuck wouldn't play their 5th year, assuming Tuck can stay healthy which is a big if right now. As for the starters, I'd suggest it's likely Samuelson will exceed 25 m/game as a sophomore. Butler played 36 as a frosh at Georgetown so I don't see her playing less than 30 as a Husky if she's good.

I'd guess there will be a max of 80 minutes for the bench--and that's probably generous--five returnees plus whatever freshmen they bring in. That could be 80 minutes for 7-8 players, none of which exactly qualify as scrubs either. Using your Harper example, if two incoming FR get 14 per game, that would leave maybe 52 minutes for the other five on the bench, and probably not even that.

I love the '15 roster on paper, but the congestion that year is going to be even worse. It's likely three players will rarely see the floor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't see why Butler or Tuck wouldn't play their 5th year, assuming Tuck can stay healthy which is a big if right now. As for the starters, I'd suggest it's likely Samuelson will exceed 25 m/game as a sophomore. Butler played 36 as a frosh at Georgetown so I don't see her playing less than 30 as a Husky if she's good.

I'd guess there will be a max of 80 minutes for the bench--and that's probably generous--five returnees plus whatever freshmen they bring in. That could be 80 minutes for 7-8 players, none of which exactly qualify as scrubs either. Using your Harper example, if two incoming FR get 14 per game, that would leave maybe 52 minutes for the other five on the bench, and probably not even that.

I love the '15 roster on paper, but the congestion that year is going to be even worse. It's likely three players will rarely see the floor.
I agree with the first part, not necessarily your last statement though... There's no guarantee but very few kids leave after 4 years of college if they have hoops eligibility left. Parker is one of the very few exceptions I can think of. I agree that more is better, though. That's what I meant by my earlier comment that Boley might find herself coming off the bench for the first 3 years since she's behind our big 3 from 2014, so possibly it's something that might give her pause. Then again, possibly it's not. I don't think Durr is worried about any of the kids UCONN has recruited who are ahead of her age-wise...

When the 2015 kids are freshmen UCONN would have

Stewie, Jefferson
Tuck, Chong
Ek, Edwards, Williams, Nurse and Butler
Collier, Boykin, Samuelson

Assuming starters of Mo, Nurse, Tuck, Stewie and Butler, I would guess the starters would rarely see over 25 minutes per game. More likely some would be no more than 20, some about 25. That would leave more like 90 minutes to be split between the rest. In theory, each reserve could get more than 10 MPG. Pretty solid, even for a freshman at UCONN, and that's not counting injuries or transfers, and while hopefully neither happens, history has shown both are possible...

Bottom line - if a high school player, as terrific as she may be, really wants to make a huge impact her first year and start as well as play at least 20 minutes per game, UCONN is not the right school for them. UCONN is all about the team, and sometimes just being a part of it needs to be enough for a player learning the ropes, or a kid who ends up being more of a role player... If not, that''s often why we see the transfers...

Reaction Score
lets be honest here, some HS stars will pay their dues for a year or so, not many are going to be happy if they are 3rd string.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Assuming starters of Mo, Nurse, Tuck, Stewie and Butler, I would guess the starters would rarely see over 25 minutes per game. More likely some would be no more than 20, some about 25. That would leave more like 90 minutes to be split between the rest. In theory, each reserve could get more than 10 MPG. Pretty solid, even for a freshman at UCONN, and that's not counting injuries or transfers, and while hopefully neither happens, history has shown both are possible...

Bottom line - if a high school player, as terrific as she may be, really wants to make a huge impact her first year and start as well as play at least 20 minutes per game, UCONN is not the right school for them. UCONN is all about the team, and sometimes just being a part of it needs to be enough for a player learning the ropes, or a kid who ends up being more of a role player... If not, that''s often why we see the transfers...

Eric,

Stewart and Jefferson played 30 minutes per game as sophomores. Do you really think they're going to play 20-25 as seniors? If anything they could play more. Butler played 36 per at Georgetown. She won't get that at UConn, but being the only center she's going to play 25+, and that's being conservative. Tuck is a complete unknown. She could play 25 minutes, or half that, or not be healthy enough to play at all. Samuelson likely will be good enough to play 20+. Then there's Nurse, Ekmark, Williams..... What if Chong makes majors strides this year and deserves 20+? [mod edit]

To give you an idea of the talent congestion, let's say Tuck can't play and Chong transfers. Stewart (30), Jefferson (30), and Butler (25-30) could take up 85-90 minutes alone. Give KLS 20 and you're down to something like 90 minutes for Nurse, Williams, Edwards, Ekmark, Boykin, and Collier. One of the first two would probably be the starting guard and play 20+. That leaves app. 70 minutes for the other five. And that's minus Chong and Tuck in this scenario.

UCONN is all about the team, and sometimes just being a part of it needs to be enough for a player learning the ropes, or a kid who ends up being more of a role player..

Yes, but these kids want to play. They don't want to come to UConn to get 5-10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Using this past years minutes as a guide for future minutes is a little problematic seeing as much of the year was spent with a six player rotation - if Geno had two or three more players that deserved playing time they would have gotten it and Stewart Hartley, Dolson, KML, and Jefferson would have gotten less. Forget about minutes and talk about effective minutes - Starters can be very effective with 10 minutes per half if their back ups are equally effective. Butler played 35 minutes per game at GU because there was no one else available with nearly her skill level on a team that won 11 games.
If all recruits are worried about is minutes than they should cross off their list Uconn and Duke and ND and Louisville and TN and SC and pretty much any other contending team - chose DePaul or Houston, or ... and they will get lots of minutes. If they want to contend for national titles they better chose a team with lots of good players on it already. And they better be prepared to spend a couple of years learning there trade while coming off the bench. There are very few Mayas and Parkers out there. Russell ranked #1 is going to be a bench player for a Sw16 caliber team her first two years sitting behind Harrison. And if she has the skill after next year, TN is certainly hoping they have another highly ranked recruit that will come in in 2015 to sit behind Russell for two years. And if they don't they probably will not get to a FF.

Reaction Score
Perhaps it's my imagination but I can't recall a time when UConn seemed to be involved with so many prospects. Seems like a new name pops up almost every week. Am I crazy?

No you're not crazy Pap. I think the big draw now is a chance to play in that powerhouse conference...the AAC. ;)
I guess it isn't affecting our recruiting. At least not in a bad way.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Using this past years minutes as a guide for future minutes is a little problematic seeing as much of the year was spent with a six player rotation - if Geno had two or three more players that deserved playing time they would have gotten it and Stewart Hartley, Dolson, KML, and Jefferson would have gotten less. ...

I'd suggest the starters were too good to have their minutes cut. I think you'll see that this year too---Stewart, KML, and Jefferson playing pretty big minutes again. Either way, even if you took 5 minutes apiece away from them that still wouldn't add up to enough to compensate for a roster of 12 good-to-great players.

If all recruits are worried about is minutes than they should cross off their list Uconn and Duke and ND and Louisville and TN and SC and pretty much any other contending team

Those teams never have the quality of depth that UConn will have on paper. Seven, eight, maybe nine good talents tops. Twelve is a different story.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the starters have their minutes cut. Geno lost confidence in Saniya and Brianna, and Morgan was unavailable last year, so Geno used a rotation of 6. I expect at least 2 of the frosh and possibly Saniya compete for minutes. Stewie, Moriah, Kaleena, and Kiah will play 30+ in close games and 20-25 in blowouts. Morgan's status depends on her knee. The frosh seem unusually ready to play. I think they get PT. I think Coach wants a rotation of 8-9. If kids are ready, I see him going higher.

The following year, we loose Kaleena and Kiah, but add at least Natalie, Lou, NC, and DJB. That's a net gain of 2+. I think Natalie starts and Lou gets major PT. NC's energy will get her PT. DJB may be a little raw early on, but she'll compete too.

It's really hard to project. Morgan and Gabby could be AAs getting major minutes, or they may never be contributors. I certainly hope for the former. The point, though, is that injuries give others PT and the opportunity to make their mark. Having players available is a good thing when injuries hit.

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of talk of just "penciling in" Natalie as a starter and a near lock for 25 miintues. etc. I don't agree with that at all. It is possible sure. She will be competing againt three other super recruits head-to-head after Morgan leaves for palyign time. I wouldsay KLS is a lock becuase she has uniue scorign abilites for someoner her size and she can porbably guard finesse tall centers that move well w/o the ball that are more comfortable facing the basket . That's teh extent imo of KLS defendign centers imo but the other two maybe becuase I bleieve Morgan can defend centers and we've seen Walker defend Griner. Unless NC does't have bulk?

Anyway, IMO Geno has shown he doesn't get bogged down in convetional positions. Of course Steph Dolson was a center. Some players get locked down in a position but Gneo doesn't get tied down into it - for example, he doesn't go under the pattern of ""I have to start and give Natalie 25+ minutes in the eventual possibility I have to face a potential "Ruth Riley." Therefore, I need to play someone not as good so I can match up better against a potential Ruth Riley.""

Heck no. He is going to "ride" hard his best players as complete players. If Natalie is among his best - fine. But I am not sold she is going to be better than teh combination of KLS or DJB or NC. And barring injury Morgan is going to start two years from now. Though it is possible she leaves with Stewie after her jr year elgibility completes. My guess is she stays but who knows. If healthy Morgan is fabulous.

Natalie has fabulous players to compete with. Geno is not going to limit any of the others by awarding Natalie more playing time just because he is concerend of a rare "Ruth Riley" out there. This isn't to say Naatlie would be relegated to just 2 mintues. Just sayin- if all three (KLS or DJB or NC) are clearly better than NB, fom what we know of Geno, he will challenge any or all of them with improvement of their post defense so he can play "his best" and not have to react to another team. .

And I'm not sold that NB is better than the other recruits coming in. Though it wouldn't suprise that much if she is better than all of them overall at center and gets 25 minutes. It just seems there is some type of certainty on here that she is such an important piece that must / or is going to start. I can see us with a starting 5 of let's say Boykin, KLS, Collier, Gabby, and Nurse and potentially being extremely powerful, couldn't we all?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hoophuskee,

I find it nearly unthinkable that Geno would bring Butler to UConn, talk her up so much, and then decide she's a 10-15 minute bench player. They will need size and rebounding. She'll give them that at least and will start. I'd bet the farm on it.

KLS shouldn't impact Butler since she'll play the wing. I suppose Boykin can and will play some "center" in smaller lineups, but I don't think she supplants Butler. Unless Butler turns out to be a complete bust which I'm not anticipating.

Reaction Score
Eric,

Stewart and Jefferson played 30 minutes per game as sophomores. Do you really think they're going to play 20-25 as seniors? If anything they could play more. Butler played 36 per at Georgetown. She won't get that at UConn, but being the only center she's going to play 25+, and that's being conservative. Tuck is a complete unknown. She could play 25 minutes, or half that, or not be healthy enough to play at all. Samuelson likely will be good enough to play 20+. Then there's Nurse, Ekmark, Williams..... What if Chong makes majors strides this year and deserves 20+? [mod edit]

To give you an idea of the talent congestion, let's say Tuck can't play and Chong transfers. Stewart (30), Jefferson (30), and Butler (25-30) could take up 85-90 minutes alone. Give KLS 20 and you're down to something like 90 minutes for Nurse, Williams, Edwards, Ekmark, Boykin, and Collier. One of the first two would probably be the starting guard and play 20+. That leaves app. 70 minutes for the other five. And that's minus Chong and Tuck in this scenario.

Yes, but these kids want to play. They don't want to come to UConn to get 5-10 minutes.
In your scenario (without Tuck and Chong) you'd have 5 players with 70 minutes. That comes out to 14 MPG if they all get the same opportunities, on average. I don't think that's too bad for someone who's a freshman and it's not too bad even for a sophomore on a talent rich team like UConn. Knowing that if you continue to flourish in the system and get better, you'll have a lot more opportunities your junior and senior years with the loss of upperclassmen. As has been mentioned, if you work hard and over-achieve, you'll likely get an even bigger piece of the pie and that doesn't even take into account the possible minor injuries (hopefully only minor) that happen seemingly every year, where there would be more minutes to be spread around. Insofar as Butler is concerned, Geno has been known to play a lot of different type lineups dependent on the situation and so if he wants to work in a smaller lineup even when not playing against a team where that type of lineup is required, she might get lesser minutes than you've presumed her to have. I'm inclined to think that Geno will be able (in his infinite wisdom) to work something out to minimize a lot of belly aching.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On paper Duke, ND, TN, and SC all have loaded rosters but paper isn't the same thing as actually playing skills at the college level from freshman year forward - that is what I am trying to say. We love our 2014 players but on paper they aren't any better than a lot of the players on rosters on the other 'contender' teams.
As for minutes - 2001 (the link for 2002 on the Uconn site is messed up) gives you an idea of what a loaded teams minutes look like:
Svet - 24.5 (19 games)
Swin - 23.8
DT - 24.0
Sue - 27.7
Tamika - 19.9
Shea 23.7 (30)
Asjha 19.5
Kelly 16.9
Kinnitra 17.9
Ashley 10.4 (5)
Morgan 10.3
Maria 7.1
Christine 6.1
Marci 5.7
I don't believe anyone was complaining about minutes on that team or that Swin was upset with getting only 24 minutes a game or Asjha and Tamika playing under 20 minutes a game as juniors and it didn't seem to stunt their prospects of being drafted highly after their senior season. I always did feel sorry though for Sue having to struggle by with under 30 minutes per game. Our NPOY:
Tina Charles for her career - 25.5 min/gm (27.6 her senior year)
Maya Moore 30.4 m/gm (33 as a senior)
Sue Bird 28.14 (29.9)
DT 29.3 (31.9)
Kara 22.9 (26.3
Rebecca 28.3 (28.7)
Jen 30.6 (32.4)
And our #3 scorer:
Sales 25.6 (28 - not counting the last game)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In your scenario (without Tuck and Chong) you'd have 5 players with 70 minutes. That comes out to 14 MPG if they all get the same opportunities, on average. I don't think that's too bad for someone who's a freshman and it's not too bad even for a sophomore on a talent rich team like UConn.

On the other hand, with Tuck and Chong it could be more like 30 minutes for 5 players. Geno and his staff will have to do some magical rearranging.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UcMiami,

I see your point and there's some validity to it. However, I think the '15 roster has more depth and ability once you get past the top seven players than '01 did. A lot of that is hypothetical since seven of them are still in HS, I admit, but I've seen enough of Collier and KLS to believe they can be impact freshmen.

Maybe for one year Geno will go lineup by committee again. He may have to. Or use a shoehorn.

Reaction Score
Hoophuskee,

I find it nearly unthinkable that Geno would bring Butler to UConn, talk her up so much, and then decide she's a 10-15 minute bench player. They will need size and rebounding. She'll give them that at least and will start. I'd bet the farm on it.

KLS shouldn't impact Butler since she'll play the wing. I suppose Boykin can and will play some "center" in smaller lineups, but I don't think she supplants Butler. Unless Butler turns out to be a complete bust which I'm not anticipating.

Has he talked her up so much more than his others? Even if he did "talk" he can't talk about the other 3, can he? I just don't see the relevance of the talk.

You mean with Boykin, Tuck, NC and KLS ---we don't have size? Look at the number two team last year ND- their starting sf was lloyd. What is she 5'10?

If you want to bet the farm, you might wind up on welfare. I say - might.

KLS can impact Butler in an instance and the others can do the same. As stated on a prior post of mine, you get a big finesse 6'6 big that shoots well European style and can face up - Butler may not be able to play her on the perimeter. I believe even if Butler would start the three of KLS and DJB nad NC have the versatility to become dominant even when she sits. Each one probably has some style of specialty that can account for defending a different type of post. While KLS can be though of as a "wing" I think she will be used only as a sf (and pf and can guard a specialty center if needed) not a sg. I expect two guards on the floor - at least - when she is in so you can get good ball movement and better spread of the floor to allow her to stick the three. Which is why I would not classify her as a wing. I expect at least two guards to always be on the floor when she is in. But defensively I see no reason why a player of her size can't guard big players. Is she that soft? I seriously doubt it. In the WNBA - she will be a combo of a sf and a stretch 4 if she hits her potential. I find it hard to believe someone who can be a stretch four in the pros can't be a very good rebounder in college. It is possible she winds up being soft and can't defend the post. But for right now I doubt it. I expect her to be a 1st team a/a eventually and be both a good rebounder and scorer. At 6'3 not just rebound from the sf.

I see no reason why 6'2 Boykin can't guard centers in her soph year going forward when we've even seen Walker guard Griner. I lean toward she will. I just think sometimes we are in search of a "boogeyman" from another team out there. And by that I mean a mammoth player like a Griner. But even with Griner --Walker was serviceable. And in her frosh year she defended Griner better than Steph.

I don't agree with what you are saying but I am probably mis-interpeting it. It's tough posting - you don't always get the full meaning of another's post. In this case your last sentence - I wouldn't consider her a bust at all if Boykin beats her out. I've read on here by Godfather that Boykin was number 1 before her injury, is that right?

I do remember from years ago Walker commited to UCONN prior year she was number 1 then the year she committed she was dropping. Before that there were others but I can't recall. If Boykin is not what the poster Godfather said, and her quality of play is dropping, then I agree Butler will get the position not by default but thatBoykin is not what Godfather said. But if it was like what Godfather said, and the way Collier is, then as ericsandiego has said, this class is among UCONN's best ever then I believe Butler will come off the bench. But it doesn't mean she would be a bust in my eyes.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You mean with Boykin, Tuck, NC and KLS ---we don't have size? Look at the number two team last year ND- their starting sf was lloyd. What is she 5'10?

ND had Achonwa to defend the paint and rebound inside. Samuelson won't defend the paint, imo. I'm not sure Collier will either. Regardless, are you assuming all four of them are going to play decent minutes? That's what it gets back to. Unless the plan is to give 8 players 12 minutes apiece, I believe Butler has to get significant PT.

In this case your last sentence - I wouldn't consider her a bust at all if Boykin beats her out. I've read on here by Godfather that Boykin was number 1 before her injury, is that right?

I'm just referring to '15, and I'd be surprised if Boykin can beat out Butler that year after watching Boykin in AAU games.

Maybe Butler comes off the bench but I'd be shocked. It's well known that a center/large post was needed. To get one and than not start her doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, with Tuck and Chong it could be more like 30 minutes for 5 players. Geno and his staff will have to do some magical rearranging.
I'm sorry if I was less than impressed with Chong's development last year. It seems to me she regressed and considering how much time she spent on the court in the early "significant" games with top 20 teams and then her almost disappearing on the court in the last month of the season, it seems Geno made a definitive decision. I would have thought in order to rest his starters somewhat, she would have gotten a little more court time but that surely didn't happen. If the incoming class is as good as they're rated to be, she might have major problems finding the court. I know a lot has to do with the practice effort of the new kids but Ekmark appears to be a gym rat and Nurse looks like a special player considering her role on the Canadian national team on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. It really wouldn't surprise me if she transferred. On the other hand, Morgan Tuck was having issues with her knee throughout her time with UConn and still impressed a great deal with her well rounded game. I'm expecting her to only be better, after her recuperation period. I didn't get the impression her surgery was overtly serious and I expect a full recovery. That does play into your remarks of lesser minutes for the other 5 girls because Tuck will certainly get some good minutes if my impression of her injury and recovery are accurate.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If the incoming class is as good as they're rated to be, she might have major problems finding the court

I didn't get the impression her surgery was overtly serious and I expect a full recovery.

Seems like Chong could be the odd player out. But I do like her skills and think she and Nurse get first crack at the starting guard spot. As for Tuck, I was under the impression that her surgery WAS quite serious. I believe she had microfracture surgery which is riskier than, say, ACL surgery. It's at least her third knee operation which is why I put her PT as a major question mark. Hoping for the best though, I'm a big fan.

Reaction Score
UcMiami,

I see your point and there's some validity to it. However, I think the '15 roster has more depth and ability once you get past the top seven players than '01 did. A lot of that is hypothetical since seven of them are still in HS, I admit, but I've seen enough of Collier and KLS to believe they can be impact freshmen.

Maybe for one year Geno will go lineup by committee again. He may have to. Or use a shoehorn.
The number 8, 9, 10, and 11 players averaged double digit minutes in his scenario. I would think that even a talented freshman coming to a two time national champion team, would be pretty satisfied if they were to get double digit minutes, particularly if the people who had more minutes were very gifted players. If you felt that you weren't getting a lot of minutes while someone less talented was getting more, you'd start to question why? Was it something you weren't doing, was it something extra they were doing, was there some bias that was upsetting????? If it was just someone working harder and with more talent or both, then I think it might entice you to work even harder to improve and make an impression.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On paper Duke, ND, TN, and SC all have loaded rosters but paper isn't the same thing as actually playing skills at the college level from freshman year forward - that is what I am trying to say. We love our 2014 players but on paper they aren't any better than a lot of the players on rosters on the other 'contender' teams.
As for minutes - 2001 (the link for 2002 on the Uconn site is messed up) gives you an idea of what a loaded teams minutes look like:
Svet - 24.5 (19 games)
Swin - 23.8
DT - 24.0
Sue - 27.7
Tamika - 19.9
Shea 23.7 (30)
Asjha 19.5
Kelly 16.9
Kinnitra 17.9
Ashley 10.4 (5)
Morgan 10.3
Maria 7.1
Christine 6.1
Marci 5.7
I don't believe anyone was complaining about minutes on that team or that Swin was upset with getting only 24 minutes a game or Asjha and Tamika playing under 20 minutes a game as juniors and it didn't seem to stunt their prospects of being drafted highly after their senior season. I always did feel sorry though for Sue having to struggle by with under 30 minutes per game. Our NPOY:
Tina Charles for her career - 25.5 min/gm (27.6 her senior year)
Maya Moore 30.4 m/gm (33 as a senior)
Sue Bird 28.14 (29.9)
DT 29.3 (31.9)
Kara 22.9 (26.3
Rebecca 28.3 (28.7)
Jen 30.6 (32.4)
And our #3 scorer:
Sales 25.6 (28 - not counting the last game)
I largely agree. Tamika was the #1 HS player, and Asjha went on to a nice pro career and Olympic gold. Neither one started consistently until their senior year, yet they became cogs in arguably the greatest team of all time and top 6 WNBA picks. Some players may play about 10, 15, 20, and 25 ppg over their 4 years. They can be part of several championships and develop their skils without being starters for the majority of their career.

Reaction Score
Slu-we'll have three players 6'3, 6'2 and 6'1. IMO that adressses your prior size point. I believe Notre Dame was a terrific rebounding team with small size, was my point. We don't need to sacrifice quality of overall play just so we can be a stronger rebouding team. We've won may titles without being the best rebounding team overall. So overall imo we don't need to sacrfice our overall quality of play if our bigs of 6'3 and 6'2 and 6'1 are big enough to be just good enough if other parts of the game are superior.

I was referring to soph years of Boykin vs Butler then going forward. I expect Butler to be ahead of Boykin frosh year but when you had mentioned "25 minutes" for Butler, I don't see 25 minutes for Butler in 15-16 as I expect Stewie and Tuck to start with Stewie getting around 30+ and Tuck to get about 25+. So as you said you think Collier and KLS are future studs.- So I'm thinking they (KLS and NC) will get minutes anyhwere in the front line (sf/pf/c) but I don't believe either will see anything at sg. So Boykin won't get completely shut out either, so I don't see big minutes from Butler in her 1st year.

I just think that the main need was to get as many quality players as we can up front. Butler is "ideal" but I believe Geno plays the better player. But he would have no qualm not starting Butler and give her productive bench minutes. He had Stokes come off the bench and she was really good. No reason why Butler couldn't be similar IF Boykin is better.

Slu- I value your inputs - can you answer a few questions for me? I would appreciate it. You've seen these kids. First off I read a prior post from you that you like Collier a ton, right? What do you think she is going to be really good at - at UCONN? And how do you foresee KLS and NC will interact with one another ). I know "great" but HOW do you see their styles mesh to compliment one another?

As for Boykin, it doesn't seem like you buy into Godfather's assessement that she was hurt and will come back near the top of her class (I'm sorry Godfather if I mis-interpreted yoru post. I beleive you are really highon her). I try to compare player's of past to present and situations. As stated, I remember Walker was number 1 and then her stock dropped over a year or two. And I also remember similar story with Tuck but it was an injury that dropped her rating. A few questions- - whose game do you see Boykin more similar to- Tuck or Walker? Probably somewhere in between----- but who is she closer to in terms of style? And secondly, if she played at the level we saw Morgan Tuck play with early in her sophomore year, do you see the equivalent of a sophomore Tuck can beat out Butler in order to start and get more minutes than Butler?

Thanks I appreciate it!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Interesting discussion over playing time in the 2015-2016 season. But in all but a few games it won't matter, as far as outcome, on who starts and who plays how many minutes. Certainly not in the AAC. So what we are discussing will only come into play in a few OOC games and in the NCAA's. And in those games it might be a matter of match ups. For what it's worth, I see Butler playing more minutes than all but 2 starters but overall playing time spread fairly evenly among 9 or 10 players. Similar to Eric's distribution with slightly less minutes played by Stewart, Jefferson and Butler

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
First off I read a prior post from you that you like Collier a ton, right? What do you think she is going to be really good at - at UCONN? And how do you foresee KLS and NC will interact with one another ). I know "great" but HOW do you see their styles mesh to compliment one another?

Yes, I'm a big fan of Collier's game. She's just a really smart, efficient player within 12 feet or so. She uses the glass well and has a nice touch from that range. Her ability to move without the ball is perfect for UConn and she runs the floor like a gazelle. She's also an adept passer. She, Nurse, and Williams would make a killer pressing trio together. And I'm sure she'd mesh well with KLS. Players who pass well and move without the ball pretty much fit in with anyone.

--

Re: Boykin, I know she sprained her ACL about a year ago but then went on to be very productive for Team USA. She hasn't dropped much in the rankings, and what she has may be due to the rise of others more than anything concerning her. I've only seen her play twice at Boo Williams and she was pretty much a non-factor. She just rarely was involved, but then that's only two AAU games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom