#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What's next? I think we need to think big, really big. Excactly how big? How about all of Asia? :)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What's next? I think we need to think big, really big. Excactly how big? How about all of Asia? :)

Well, Asia's not very big. But we'll take her anyway.

Reaction Score
Next on the list might be Crystal Dangerfield, the Sophomore PG from Tennessee. UConn coaches watched her last September and then all went quiet. But the other day JA mentioned that the coaching staff really likes her. Also, Dangerfield is rumored to be very interested in UConn. There are UConn-related re-tweets on her mom's Twitter. Dangerfield idolizes Moriah Jefferson, wearing the same number Mo Jeff did in HS, and she has said she wants to be a nurse which is perfect with UConn's nursing program.

I had a real good feeling about Collier coming and I do with Dangerfield too. Incidentally, Prospects Nation just moved Dangerfield up to #2 in their newly released 2016 rankings.

Edit:

And now Adamec just put out a piece on Dangerfield.

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/style-points-dangerfield-jefferson-compare/
If she's half as good as Rodney was we should get her if at all possible.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Fuller interviewed Crystal Dangerfield at the U-17 to talk about the mutual interest between her and UConn. He also has a new recruiting target name for '16: Jaelyn Brown, a 6-1 wing from California. She's ranked 2nd by Hoopgurlz, 3rd by BlueStar, and 18th by Prospects Nation. Brown's AAU coach says she'll visit UConn in the Fall.

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/05/couple-other-uconn-recruiting-targets.html

Here's a BlueStar writeup on Brown from last week:

We’ve profiled Jaelyn Brown in the past and her play this weekend dictates that we do it once again. The combination of size, skills and athleticism the 2016 wing brings to the floor has her among the elite in the class and could see her profile elevate among that top tier with a continued, focused effort. Her physical approach to attacking and creating is something that often only reveals itself at the colligate level. She can create her own looks but also has the skills and decision making to develop options for her teammates as well. The consistency on her perimeter shooting is something that is going to have to evolve to keep defenders honest and allow her to capitalize on the ability to produce off the drive. Brown is a force on the boards offensively and has the tools to produce double – doubles at will with the same focus at the other end.

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/component/k2/item/840-west-coast-premier-spring-invitational

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Jaelyn Brown - Vista Murietta High School. Probably about 45 minutes away from me here in San Diego. Pretty easy drive. If things heat up in UCONN's recruiting of her, I'll certainly enjoy taking a trip out to see her play...

It's pretty unreal as UCONN continues to recruit for 2015 to see the top kids in 2016 already on UCONN's list, and some of them enamored already with the UCONN mystique. They idolize current and former UCONN players, think of Geno as a "superstar" (their words, not mine), and watch us on TV all the time. How awesome is that?!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
High school stats are often misleading but Jaelyn Brown's are a bit scary and not in a good way. She shot 41% her first year and then regressed to 39% as a sophomore. She's a combined 24-133 from three. That's 18%. She's a 62% FT shooter with nearly 400 attempts. Yeesh.

I feel much more secure in the Napheesa Collier types who shoot 70% year in, year out.

Reaction Score
It hasn't been mentioned here, but Adamec said back in January that the Huskies' interest in Kalani Brown had "waned considerably".

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/style-points-dangerfield-jefferson-compare/

Her name still comes up here and there in recruiting articles but it's felt like UConn moved on a while ago. I saw her play in her state title game. She's huge and has some ability, but she's also a plodder who I don't think fits well with the super quick and mobile rosters UConn will have the next few years. Much better off, imo, to focus on Cox/McCoy.
Thanks for the info.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Jaelyn Brown - Vista Murietta High School. Probably about 45 minutes away from me here in San Diego. Pretty easy drive. If things heat up in UCONN's recruiting of her, I'll certainly enjoy taking a trip out to see her play...

It's pretty unreal as UCONN continues to recruit for 2015 to see the top kids in 2016 already on UCONN's list, and some of them enamored already with the UCONN mystique. They idolize current and former UCONN players, think of Geno as a "superstar" (their words, not mine), and watch us on TV all the time. How awesome is that?!
I just want to highlight something from you post - the bold section. The change-over to SNY while annoying to some fans who lost access and a great boon to some other fans who gained access is HUGE on the recruiting trail. CPTV was fabulous but it's broadcast footprint was CT, Western Mass, Rhode Island, and maybe a little bit of east central NY State. And unfortunately that footprint is not a hotbed of girls basketball talent. The footprint of SNY is national. Most of these girls' families probably have either direct access to SNY or on-line access to ESPN3 and can watch not just the 8-10 nationally televised games each year but all 39 or 40 games Uconn plays either live or archived. And should they not have access themselves you can bet one of their best friends does. A player like Dangerfield who 'idolizes' Moriah I am sure watched all 40 games last year Moriah played. That is a huge advantage, and it is not just the recruit, but also her parents and her friends. Even fairly local parents can't make it to every game and especially not the road games - but they can arrange to watch every one. This is the reason Uconn was so happy to get a comparable bid from a national broadcaster, and certainly not a disloyalty or unhappiness with the CPTV product.
And it is not just the games - kids that are interested in Uconn on just curious will have also caught the All Access programs and the Geno's Legacy shows - which are really really good and a great window into the workings of the team, the thinking of the coaches, the personality of the players, and the obvious affection shared between Geno and his current and former players (and some of the greatest women's players ever.) And again - the parents as well with have a feeling for the program before they start talking to the coaches.
I would not be surprised to learn that coaches on AAU or HS teams have even organized watch parties for some of this stuff. Certainly if I was trying to mold a team of young players I would be studying anything Uconn related I could get my hands on.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Perhaps it's my imagination but I can't recall a time when UConn seemed to be involved with so many prospects. Seems like a new name pops up almost every week. Am I crazy?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Perhaps it's my imagination but I can't recall a time when UConn seemed to be involved with so many prospects. Seems like a new name pops up almost every week. Am I crazy?
I think we are experiencing a little bit of a 'compression' because of the NCAA rules changes allowing official visits in the spring so we are in crunch time on 2015 recruits, 2016 recruiting is heating up and 2017 recruits are in the exploratory dance for coaches and players. It is a continuation of the trend toward earlier commitments, but has now become more official with the 5 month advance in the official visit calendar.
Add in the reality of a relatively short bench at Uconn and the fact that not all of the names will end up actually getting offers and I don't think it is that unusual.

Reaction Score

No, but what does one have to do with the other ? ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A new recruiting piece from Fuller. Seeing as how upcoming rosters are getting pretty crowded with talent, I thought this quote from Erin Boley was interesting:

“It is important to me that the coach is going to get a lot out of me — and I want to graduate from college — but the class ahead of me is important too because it depends on the type of positions the players are playing,” Boley said.

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20...cruiting-approach-due-to-national-team-duties

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope Erin is not deterred.
I hope so too, but the way UCONN is stockpiling talent, if that's a big issue for her, then best to figure it out now before either side spends too much energy on the other. We have KLS, Boykin and Collier. Not sure which one has a game most similar to Boley's, but I'd guess that for the first 3 years, Boley would be coming off the bench behind that trio. It's certainly something for kids to take into consideration...

Reaction Score
I hope so too, but the way UCONN is stockpiling talent, if that's a big issue for her, then best to figure it out now before either side spends too much energy on the other. We have KLS, Boykin and Collier. Not sure which one has a game most similar to Boley's, but I'd guess that for the first 3 years, Boley would be coming off the bench behind that trio. It's certainly something for kids to take into consideration...

Yes, but at the same time, that same recruiting pitch was reportedly used by many opposing coaches for 2013 following the Stewart/Mo Jeff/Tuck class, and look what happened this past year. Injuries happen, players transfer, and unpredictability plays out every single season. The one constant is that players will continue to earn their playing time in practice, and as long as an individual puts in the necessary work, they will receive the playing time they deserve as long as Geno is around.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
.... and as long as an individual puts in the necessary work, they will receive the playing time they deserve as long as Geno is around.

What if you have a dozen talented players who earn lots of playing time? There are only 200 minutes per game to be had. I don't think it's coincidence that UConn had a class of one this past year, and I'm kind of shocked they're in on so many players for '16, particularly since '17 looks to be a spectacular year for talent.

Reaction Score
What if you have a dozen talented players who earn lots of playing time? There are only 200 minutes per game to be had. I don't think it's coincidence that UConn had a class of one this past year, and I'm kind of shocked they're in on so many players for '16, particularly since '17 looks to be a spectacular year for talent.

If that ends up being the case then that's a fantastic problem to have if you ask me. Dolson and Hartley came in with a class of five and left with two. That's just one example. Geno himself has been quoted about what he typically gets out of large recruiting classes, how many individuals reach those lofty expectations. What is your alternative? Saying no to top ten recruits? Nine national championships later, I have stopped questioning Geno's recruiting strategies.

Reaction Score
You might be right but coming off the bench for the first 3 years doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't be getting a good amount of playing time, assuming you had skills and busted your butt in practice. We've had a number of girls coming off the bench getting a whole bunch of time so that shouldn't scare the "right type" of girl off! Hopefully Boley fills that bill.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We've had a number of girls coming off the bench getting a whole bunch of time so that shouldn't scare the "right type" of girl off! Hopefully Boley fills that bill.

There just isn't going to be a whole bunch of time though. There's going to be a major minutes issue in 2015, and if they decided to take 2-3 more in '16 that'll continue to be the case. Barring numerous injuries, transfers, or player busts, of course.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There just isn't going to be a whole bunch of time though. There's going to be a major minutes issue in 2015, and if they decided to take 2-3 more in '16 that'll continue to be the case. Barring numerous injuries, transfers, or player busts, of course.
Well you are always going to get that, so......I'd stockpile as much as possible. Remember more is better.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
At the moment the 2016 team has 8-10 players depending on what Butler and Tuck decide to do regarding their fifth years. Starters playing 25 minutes per game leave 75 minutes per game for non-starters which is a fair amount of time to be divied up. Add in bumps, bruises, and illness and it for stretches of the season it can be a lot more. We have no idea how the 2014 class will develop either, nor truly how Chong, Tuck, and Butler will develop. For kids who want to play 30+ minutes their freshman year, they either have to be truly phenomenal or they have to go to less strong programs with much longer odds of making the FF and even then there are no guarantees.
As an example - a lot of us were quite high on Harper who ended up at KY last year, a team that only made it to the Sw16. She averaged 14 minutes a game with zero starts. For most HS players the transition to college really is a huge step up in competition and only a few will get to start and very few teams with starting freshman make a lot of post season noise.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well you are always going to get that, so.I'd stockpile as much as possible. Remember more is better.

Absolutely. There's always shake out. Same as any sport, any team. The future never unfolds like you think it will. And no player is a lock (see EDD).

And good accompanying vid to make point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01