So whats are starting lineup gonna look like against Depaul | The Boneyard

So whats are starting lineup gonna look like against Depaul

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im hoping Aaliyah and Caroline are back. As far as Azzi seeing some action. After Depaul we have St Johns who is playing good BB right now. STJ is ranked in the top 25. I think if Azzi is ready she will see some time against Depaul. Then again if the coaching staff thinks we dont need Azzi to win against St Johns assuming she can go, then she may not see any action. One thing I would think is for sure we will want everybody ready to go against Tenn @ Tenn which is Jan 26. So the time limit on getting Caroline and Azzi going isnt far away so I would expect to see both of them in action very shortly. With that said we can not risk them being reinjured.

Just a note. Although Depaul has Morrow they and St Johns dont have the height/inside game that UConn has.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah is a tough gal. she will play. now the other one Fudd, needs to get back on the court ,she was cleared to play, PLAY!

Reaction Score
Dorka, Lou, Aubrey, Aaliyah, Nika. and first off the bench, Carolina and
perhaps a cameo? for Azzi? ( 10 - 15 minutes??)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is a tough gal. she will play. now the other one Fudd, needs to get back on the court ,she was cleared to play, PLAY!
Azzi has been cleared to resume basketball activities, which does not mean PLAY. I believe Geno recently stated that it is not the coaching staff that determines when a player is ready to play so I am guessing that it is the medical staff.
For example, if Azzi partipates in a full practice or shoot around and looks great but then the medical staff sees something wrong, like some swelling, then she probably wouldn't be cleared to play.

Reaction Score
CD in her post-game press conference after Butler said there is a "return to play" process that the coaches are not involved in and do not have a say when a player returns. Geno has also said that he gets told who is available, and then he goes from there. It's not coach's decision.

Reaction Score
As much as I want to see Azzi, Aaliyah, and Caroline play, I’d rather them sit out if they’re not 100%. This game won’t decide UConn’s fate and I’d rather not see players re-injure themselves. There’s plenty of season left for them to come back and contribute.

Reaction Score
I take this to be a predictions/wish list thread, not a team medical policy thread, so I'm gonna predict. I expect we'll see a few minutes of Azzi, because she'll want to take her first steps back into game action at home. I hope we see Aaliyah play, because without her, we don't have such a significant height advantage in the paint. And I really hope we see Caroline play, just because I love watching her play. If she's not in the protocol, then there's no joints or tendons to worry about.

Side note: Caroline gets hit in the head a lot, and it probably indicates what a tough inside player she is. She's not hanging out on the perimeter. She mixes it up in the lane with the other big girls.

Reaction Score
Well said. I'd give it a thumb's up, but the facts you bring out are hard to like -- namely Caroline getting hurt because of how she plays.

Reaction Score
While it is well nigh impossible to pick favorites on this team Caroline shines brightly because of her intelligent use of her skills. Not exhibiting some of the wonderful athleticism of her teammates makes what she accomplishes all the more remarkable. Position plus decision equals success.

Reaction Score
I think the verbiage from the uconn camp and media has really confused the fans. I have no inside information, but when they say basketball activities, I don’t think they meant game action. When you piece together all of the sound bites from twitter, post game press, and media availability, it appears she was cleared to resume some sort of basketball activities. Likely some form of conditioning work, then maybe individual practices, then shoot around, then full practice.

We’ll know she’s ready when she heads to the scorers table. I hope it’s against DePaul, as I believe she made her return against DePaul last year as well.

Reaction Score
CD in her post-game press conference after Butler said there is a "return to play" process that the coaches are not involved in and do not have a say when a player returns. Geno has also said that he gets told who is available, and then he goes from there. It's not coach's decision.
From the Johnny Mathis ‘not knowing my you know what from my elbow’ school, me thinks if this is a game to get into the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, and she’s deemed ready to play by Geno, she plays, regardless of what the medical staff says. Just a hunch!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
From the Johnny Mathis ‘not knowing my you know what from my elbow’ school, me thinks if this is a game to get into the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, and she’s deemed ready to play by Geno, she plays, regardless of what the medical staff says. Just a hunch!!
Sorry, but you are wrong.

The protocol is very specific for when an injured player can return. Too many are assuming basketball activities means games. It does not. Azzi and Caroline will return when the medical staff says they can.

Geno is not going to ignore what the medical staff says. That would completely against his nature.

No coach should have the authority to override the medical staff.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nope. Never. Geno defers to the medical staff every time, has since he started coaching

Reaction Score
There is no chance this would happen. Geno has made it very clear many times that he does not get to decide when a player is ready and can return to games and/or practice. Geno has a boss too, and what do you think would happen if Geno unilaterally decided to go against the company rules?

Reaction Score

The protocol is very specific for when an injured player can return. Too many are assuming basketball activities means games. It does not. Azzi and Caroline will return when the medical staff says they can.

Geno is not going to ignore what the medical staff says. That would completely against his nature.

They will play when the medical staff says they can, when the player says they can and then once the coaches are comfortable putting them in the game. It may very well be a few more weeks before we see Azzi return, if at all this season.

Reaction Score

I’m already regretting responding, but let me again say this is an opinion, which rarely carries with it a right or a wrong. To say no chance is also an opinion. When was the first and last time, in a sweet 18 or elite 8 game, with players of the caliber of Azzi and Caroline, given their reported conditions, that this situation even presented itself, so to state no chance or that Geno would not act contrary to the medical staff’s recommendation is conjecture, and yes I understand protocol and past practice based on a set of not so identical set of circumstances. Maybe the counter comments here are spot on? Geno never went against the rules? Hey Pat Summitt, you on board here?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn’s front three of Aubrey, Dorka, and Aaliyah is incredible. As good as Morrow is, she can’t stop all three.

Interesting - DePaul has given only 7 players much time, 4 guards, 3 forwards. Doug Bruno has a bunch of 5’11” guards, all either juniors or seniors.

7B385CD8-E9F3-4FF9-A879-20738DADEC6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I understand she was cleared to “practice” with the team.

Reaction Score
I think the verbiage from the uconn camp and media has really confused the fans. I have no inside information, but when they say basketball activities, I don’t think they meant game action. When you piece together all of the sound bites from twitter, post game press, and media availability, it appears she was cleared to resume some sort of basketball activities. Likely some form of conditioning work, then maybe individual practices, then shoot around, then full practice.

We’ll know she’s ready when she heads to the scorers table. I hope it’s against DePaul, as I believe she made her return against DePaul last year as well.
Well, she has been fully dressed the last two games I believe. Certainly, last night.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Arnold
Shade
Ziebell
El Alfy/Patterson
Ice/ new and improved DeBerry
Heck of a bench you have there as well.

Reaction Score
Sunday's Starting Lineup

1 Sao Miguel, Portugal