So what does Coach do now? | The Boneyard

So what does Coach do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He must realize that we have a few players that are not Div 1 talented (at least for major minutes). Again we lose our best player. The defense regressed late season. Our best bigs can't rebound. Our to-be seniors were inconsistent all year. We have no strong dribblers (Adams not here yet). We have no real outside shooters outside of Purvis and DHam, who both are hot/cold shooters. The decision making was suspect all season. We have no bigs who are offensive threats or can create their own shots. We lose our leader and have no clue of his replacement, (Brimah automatic captain?). As for team chemistry its a total unknown. Team wise our offensive production was continuously slow starting, and often followed up with cold shooting with long gaps of empty possessions.

I could go on and on and I don't want this to seem as criticizing but an honest end of season evaluation.

I am actually scared and its up to Ollie to fix this or make improvements.

He will certainly earn his money, especially if he helped to create this predicament. He is in a position to now have to write a 'new' legacy.

I hope that no solution if off the table from coaches to players. I see some big problems. So what the hell does/can he do?

(If I'm off base please say so)

Reaction Score
He must realize that we have a few players that are not Div 1 talented (at least for major minutes). Again we lose our best player. The defense regressed late season. Our best bigs can't rebound. Our to-be seniors were inconsistent all year. We have no strong dribblers (Adams not here yet). We have no real outside shooters outside of Purvis and DHam, who both are hot/cold shooters. The decision making was suspect all season. We have no bigs who are offensive threats or can create their own shots. We lose our leader and have no clue of his replacement, (Brimah automatic captain?). As for team chemistry its a total unknown. Team wise our offensive production was continuously slow starting, and often followed up with cold shooting with long gaps of empty possessions.

I could go on and on and I don't want this to seem as criticizing but an honest end of season evaluation.

He will certainly earn his money, especially if he helped to create this predicament. He is in a position to now have to write a 'new' legacy.

I hope that no solution if off the table from coaches to players. I see some big problems. So what the hell does/can he do?

You are on base, KO knows what he needs, question is can he get it?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
First, he has to break down every player's weaknesses. That should take to June.
Adams, Purvis, DHam. And the sisters of the poor.
He needs another point badly and a spot up shooter. TSam is a practice player. Calhoun has such a lousy motion on his shot that I doubt
he will be much good. Then also he can't dribble or rebound for his position.
Nolan has actually played his best ball the last two weeks and still would not get off Larry Brown's bench.
Facey should join the Peace Corps.
Lubin should play a lot of summer ball.
Enoch needs to play five days a week.
Brimah needs to hit the weight room. Let's see if he gets a concussion.
Ollie can't afford to wasted many more scholarships.

He needs two guys who can play.

Reaction Score
I'm really hoping he doesn't get an NBA offer. This year it'd be much harder for him to turn it down than it was last year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

purvis and hamilton both stepped up and improved in many aspects of the game tremendously towards the end of the season... purvis is a good dribbler just not a decision maker yet, sam needs to improve and get confidence... It's all up to the players to put the time in and be committed... Ollie needs to get out and get the players, but the ones we have need to improve their weaknesses... no need to bury this team and bail before next seasons practices

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Not sure what can be done about new players so I think he'll have to coach the ones we have up. Definitely think we need some changes on the staff. Need a big man coach for one. Clyde, you out there?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
First, he has to break down every player's weaknesses. That should take to June.
Adams, Purvis, DHam. And the sisters of the poor.
He needs another point badly and a spot up shooter. TSam is a practice player. Calhoun has such a lousy motion on his shot that I doubt
he will be much good. Then also he can't dribble or rebound for his position.
Nolan has actually played his best ball the last two weeks and still would not get off Larry Brown's bench.
Facey should join the Peace Corps.
Lubin should play a lot of summer ball.
Enoch needs to play five days a week.
Brimah needs to hit the weight room. Let's see if he gets a concussion.
Ollie can't afford to wasted many more scholarships.

He needs two guys who can play.
lol omg

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
take a break and recharge his batteries

then learn from this season, which wasn't a very good one for KO

and the end of the day, he's still a baby in the woods in the coaching fraternity

I trust he'll find his footing, he'll figure out what his vision of our identity is, and he'll learn from his mistakes

Reaction Score

and the end of the day, he's still a baby in the woods in the coaching fraternity

I trust he'll find his footing, he'll figure out what his vision of our identity is, and he'll learn from his mistakes

The only thing he has to change as a coach to make it a better season coming up is recruit much smarter players with the ability to retain what the staff teaches them. other than that, he's fine.

Reaction Score
Build on the positives and opportunities, and need to work on all of things that we didn't do well.

And, we need to learn how to win in crunch time!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

agreed, three 20 win seasons and a national championship within 3 years... the guy is still learning the game of coaching and recruiting... we have a head start with a young, positive coach, who already has a NC and a record, over other schools who in the next several years, may be losing the face of their programs... he get's a pass for the next several years with what he's done so far

Reaction Score

Hell no rest..99% of the teams we recruit against are playing ball. Recruit recruit recruit:)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
3 biggest concerns for me (FWIW)...
  1. Lack of a national recruiting presence, in spite of the fact that we have 4 NC's and are coming off one last year (the 2 kids we landed, while hopefully terrific, are basically local). He's swung and missed on a TON of kids the past year.
  2. Lack of development of our bigs and lack of improvement in guards/wings not named Boatright.
  3. Lack of a legit big man coach
Although, Purvis is an unknown entity since he did not play for us last year, but safe to say he definitely got better as the year went on. Hamilton is terrific and hopefully continues to improve.

I get that Ollie is all about "10 toes in" (which was sensational for last year), but the euphoria has died down it's time to buckle down and start working on improvements. He has a lot of work to do...

Reaction Score
I'm really hoping he doesn't get an NBA offer. This year it'd be much harder for him to turn it down than it was last year.
Although I think he did a terrific job, I don't think that you need to worry about the NBA calling any time soon. If he didn't go after last year, it will be a while before he is on the NBA radar again.

Reaction Score
I think he has to hold the course if we can get stone or someone who reclassifies great if not don't use the scholarships for the sake of using them. I'm not going to knock any high school kids or pretend I know how to scout them but I can't see guys like Jashire contributing long term. I think we have decent depth if everyone puts the work in this summer hopefully a big can make a strides in the right direction. Id like to see Ollie turn his focus to 2016 and 2017

Brodog16

Alzheimer's sucks
Reaction Score
So...just before we learn our best player can't play we struggle... It's all Kevin's fault...Damn that Ollie! Why can't he plan for this???

Reaction Score
Although I think he did a terrific job, I don't think that you need to worry about the NBA calling any time soon. If he didn't go after last year, it will be a while before he is on the NBA radar again.
All I know is sooner or later Scott Brooks is going to be fired. And a lot of players on the Thunder sure do like Kevin Ollie.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Hypnotize TSam into thinking he is at the foul line when he is shooting a J. Have Purvis practice on a court 3 feet narrower to stop him from stepping out of bounds. Omar? Dear God, don't know where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom