So what does Coach do now? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So what does Coach do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Need a consistent 3 pt threat, could be Omar or Adams, and a rebounder (not currently on the squad). If Enoch can board at this level, we might be Ok.

Would love to have another ball handler and post defender, but we'll be OK if we get the other two things.

Reaction Score
Need a consistent 3 pt threat, could be Omar or Adams, and a rebounder (not currently on the squad). If Enoch can board at this level, we might be Ok.

Would love to have another ball handler and post defender, but we'll be OK if we get the other two things.
There's usually natural improvement from the 3. Purvis and Hamilton were 36% and 34% respectively from 3 in their first year here. That's better than AJ Price's first year, or Shabazz's. Or Giffey's. Or Daniel's first or second year. And roughly on par with Lamb's career 3-pt shooting.

Hopefully Adams comes in and is dynamite. But even if he isn't a bomber initially, I think DHam and Purvis will just naturally be more consistent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My suggestion is he fires the entire coaching staff and does the following:

Hires Chief00 to be the big man coach and ensure Jerome never again sets foot on campus.
Hires Fishy for recruiting. Fishy threatens to throat punch any recruit and their families if the recruit doesn't come to UConn. He'll also throat punch any other recruiter$.
Hire BigErnMcCracken to enforce discipline with the players and make sure they become gym rats.
And bring in the entire Boneyard for consultation and development of the players.

Reaction Score
Next year is about Adams being ready to play, and guys like Facey, Calhoun, Lubin and Brimah stepping up. I think we know what we're getting from TSam, Nolan and expecting Purvis and Hamilton to both improve. I just think it's that first 5 with Adams as the key that will determine how much we can improve. And with all respect to Boat, depending so much on one guy limits your upside to an extent, though we had no choice. Just too young and a little too soft physically.

I think we bounce back but the early season could be a bit of an identity crisis at a time when OOC wins count for a lot. If Adams can contribute early and Hamilton, Purvis and Calhoun get hot we might just catch teams off-guard. If you read the tea-leaves from last night Coach KO is also going to put a premium on toughness and rebounding and whoever gets time down low will be showing a different mentality. Has to happen for us to be successful.

Reaction Score
anyone have any idea about players were gonna lose? KO said in the post game that he was gonna go with whoever he had next year. Can't imagine hamilton or brimah leaving, calhoun seems too old to leave. Cassell? Samuel? Lubin? It seemed KO was certain that not everyone was coming back.

My Changes:
KO-Moore-Miller-Big's Coach-Recruiter
1 transfer player-idk who, just based off KO's comments
Hope to god Brown reclassifies
Pray we land a competent actual pg, ideally a recruit, not a transfer
scourer the transfer ranks for a 6'8-6'10 big man who, as a 5th year is developed and can bang a bit
if all three happen, youve got adams/purvis/hamilton/facey/brimah FR pg/Brown/Calhoun/TR pf/Nolan

Adams needs to be composed out there and Hamilton/Purvis/Brimah need to be leaders and scorers. Brown and Calhoun should be able to be 6th men, even if they "ham and egg" it. Then you'fe got a sr dirt guy in Nolan and a wildcard in Facey, who should strictly shoot 3's all summer.

Experience matters a great deal and while next year wont be sr laden, it will have experience, a dynamic pg, 2 guys who can score and a rim protector. If they come together, the glue pieces are there. This is an incrdibly optimistic POV, but why be negative?

Our bigest problem is that Adams/Purvis/Hamilton/Brimah are D-1 players. Calhoun was pre-injury. Unfortunately, everyone else is a role player and barely competent at this level. Brown, a low rated PG and a grad big with size could make this team a contender.

The other option is Adams cant handle point, purvis and hamilton play like immature inconsisten children, brimah doesnt improve and the team implodes.

I vote for the former.

Reaction Score

Hires Chief00 to be the big man coach and ensure Jerome never again sets foot on campus.
Hires Fishy for recruiting. Fishy threatens to throat punch any recruit and their families if the recruit doesn't come to UConn. He'll also throat punch any other recruiter$.
Hire BigErnMcCracken to enforce discipline with the players and make sure they become gym rats.
And bring in the entire Boneyard for consultation and development of the players.
Is there any room on staff for Johnnie Boy?

Reaction Score
Life happens while you do your job. Do you think Ollie is the first coach to go through a divorce? For ___'s sake his mother had cancer while UConn was winning a national championship. I hate this ______ amateur psychology on here. "He seemed .... uh .... different."
Some people seem hell bent on proving they are a massive . What this friggin clown doesn't know is ALOT!

Reaction Score
This year our failures were the result of execution not coaching. Consistent players make coaches look good and the opposite is also true.

Reaction Score
This year our failures were the result of execution not coaching. Consistent players make coaches look good and the opposite is also true.
I disagree with this. I think it was both. We definitely lacked the skill to compete this year. Though to say the coaching was great this year compared to last year is what I have issues in your post. KO was awful in calling TO's in needed situations and the play calling especially on inbounds plays was a letdown. KO also lacked the emotion this year and didn't work the officials. I still can't believe our bigs haven't gotten any better all season long. What are coaches teaching them as they should at least have a few more refined post moves then they have now.

Though talent was the main reason the coaching was pretty dreadful this year. I don't think KO connected well with this team this year. I think not having guys who were senors besides RB made his job difficult in a year were his mind was on his own personal problems also.

Reaction Score
Can you describe 1 or 2 plays that UConn does run?

Here's the plays.

If you can handle the basketball, create, pass to open guys and make shots off the curl you can be a real good player. How many does he do well? In other words his inefficiencies should not be blamed on KO he has ample opportunity to catch and shoot off plays run from the offense. Most shooters could get off shots but Omar is slow from catch to shoot so he needs to get rid of the ball. If he could take it to the hole he'd probably have more space but he is not a major threat at all. Again you need to have the tools to make plays, he falls short on many.

Reaction Score
Some people seem hell bent on proving they are a massive . What this friggin clown doesn't know is ALOT!

That's his point. Neither he nor anyone else on this board is in a position to say that Ollie's divorce affected the team this year, but there are several posters stating unequivocally that it's the case.

pj

Reaction Score

This is a good plan but given our mediocre TV contract can UConn afford an all-star staff like this one?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's his point. Neither he nor anyone else on this board is in a position to say that Ollie's divorce affected the team this year, but there are several posters stating unequivocally that it's the case.
That's the point isn't it. We can't say for certain one way or the other. We can hypothesize a possibility either way. The postulation of the possibility is not the problem. It's the insistence, or as you elegantly state "posters stating unequivocally that it's the case" that's the problem.

But many if not most of us present our opinions in a manner that does this on many issues. Even @BigErnMcCracken in his retort to @UCweCONN might be overly dismissive even as he appears to be logical. There is no way of knowing if the issues facing the divorce have greater impact on KO than the issues with his mom's cancer. One would think not. But the cumulative affect is not factored. And other things could be involved.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'd guess that a third of the teams in the NBA would shove their current coach out the door if Ollie agreed to coach for them.

I don't know. This season was kind of a disaster.

Reaction Score
Pretty clear; judging by the comment to like ratio I'm guessing you're an idiot! You think Florida and Michigan are giving out pink slips too? This place is laughable at times.

I don't usually respond to neg comments from BY gentlemen (I know I'm pushing it here, Fishy) for an opposing viewpoint since the essence of BY is such debate. But after 40 years UC fan, this is ott. As you have but 5 posts, I can't decide whether you are: a) a pink slip candidate, b) hostile lurker, c) moron, or, d) all above.

Nevertheless my 4-5 word post only summarizes the buzz on this issue. BY concurs that there is an issue, and in this case, some URGENCY for remedy.

If I may sum (please bear with the language), UC is in a crap league, there is concern on matriculating (can recruit all you want) talent because of this, 'next years team' showed its limited capabilities last game, the team is leaderless, and perhaps the coach staff is defficent in developing players. New frosh talent enters in the fall, but history indicates that such contribution will be minimal.

So if KO upsets the 'Ma-UConn' culture, perhaps he can find a solution of sorts. It won't be the first time people have left due to decreasing exposure / play time, or the hook. The Giffey Germans were 1/3, etc, etc. We know the abilities of the current team - Q is how bad can scouted recruits with experience be in comparison????

please, no cards and letters

Reaction Score
After seeing that vid of Marcus in the other thread. Ask him to come work with our pg and bigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom