So what did everyone think of Jordan Swann? | The Boneyard

So what did everyone think of Jordan Swann?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes he should have called for a fair catch on the play he got hammered and his fumble cost us, but overall, I'm excited about him. Good acceleration and speed and I love his attitude of trying to make things happen. I think he's going do some damage this year.

(As an aside it is good to actually have returns, isn't it?)

Reaction Score
I hope this was just the first game yips and it's out of his system. Can't have a returner making those poor decisions.

Reaction Score
He's a player, and yes - it's nice to see that we appear to incorporating that aspect of the game into practices again.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Swann and Skanes looked like our most quick twitch athletes

Reaction Score
I liked 3 things:

1. Dude had a ROUGH START. Crushed on a PR, fumble trying to do too much. Yet, had the confidence from the staff and in himself to pull it together and make a really important play on that 4th quarter punt return.
2. Dude is really, really fast and quick. Clearly. I like that alot. We've lacked that.
3. He looks bigger than I thought. He has the look that he can get stronger/thicker, which is important as he develops into our 3rd CB

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Well, let's see. He fumbled a kick return, got hammered on what should have been a fair catch, and made a bonehead play that got us backed up on the 1 at a time when Holy Cross was killing us and we really needed a good drive. Honestly, I don't care if he's fast. He made so many plays that absolutely killed us last night, I'd yank him. Maybe I'm just pissed from last night, but he really couldn't have done a worse job

Reaction Score
Well, let's see. He fumbled a kick return, got hammered on what should have been a fair catch, and made a bonehead play that got us backed up on the 1 at a time when Holy Cross was killing us and we really needed a good drive. Honestly, I don't care if he's fast. He made so many plays that absolutely killed us last night, I'd yank him. Maybe I'm just pissed from last night, but he really couldn't have done a worse job
lolno

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

It's not an indication on how his future will play out (I know you aren't suggesting that either) but he had a horrible, horrible game.

First muffing the kick, then fumbling it. Getting lit up on what should have been a fair catch. Letting a punt go to the 1, when he should have fair caught it.

Looks like he has potential, but it was stuff like this that had Diaco unwilling to let us return punts/kicks.

Bad game and if it was any other team on the schedule besides Holy Cross it would have cost us the game.

Reaction Score

Yeah. And when he houses one and doesn't make our O run one play to score 7 in an upcoming game, I want you to come on here and say he should've been pulled by now. Playmakers make plays. He is allowed to make mistakes. Honestly what does it matter that he got blown up. He took the hit and didn't fumble. Yes the fumble was costly, but for 1 the best KR do it, 2. he was fighting for extra yards which he will learn when to just call it and get down and he will get stronger, and 3. Our Defense did him no favors by allowing them in the end zone which makes the mistake worse. He clearly has elite speed for this level. And we need guys that are homerun hitters. We have proven to be incapable of methodically driving and beating the other team on Offense. Almost all of our scores in the last 2 years have been on big plays or a few big chunk gains.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yeah. And when he houses one and doesn't make our O run one play to score 7 in an upcoming game, I want you to come on here and say he should've been pulled by now. Playmakers make plays. He is allowed to make mistakes. Honestly what does it matter that he got blown up. He took the hit and didn't fumble. Yes the fumble was costly, but for 1 the best KR do it, 2. he was fighting for extra yards which he will learn when to just call it and get down and he will get stronger, and 3. Our Defense did him no favors by allowing them in the end zone which makes the mistake worse. He clearly has elite speed for this level. And we need guys that are homerun hitters. We have proven to be incapable of methodically driving and beating the other team on Offense. Almost all of our scores in the last 2 years have been on big plays or a few big chunk gains.

What did he do to show that he's some extraordinary athlete that is leaps and bounds better than someone else on the roster who isn't a true freshman and won't make true freshman mistakes? I guess I'm just not seeing that. Truly, I think we're all in some sort of denial right now, grasping at straws looking for a positive that doesn't exist. We were absolutely awful last night against a bad FCS school. Granted, they had a good QB, but they dominated us for 4 quarters. I don't know, I'm just about fed up with UConn football after last night

Reaction Score
lolno
Really don't think it's as crazy a suggestion as you're implying. He's a great athlete but first and foremost as a returner you need to make good decisions and not cough up the ball. I think they'll give him more time because he's a freshman but a couple more gamea like this and I'd pull him and try to have him figure it out in practice/film study.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Dont mind Phil. His sinuses are all messed up and Chief gave him a secret concoction made in Andre Drummonds mothers basement.

This is all true. I'm hangin on by a thread, Darren!

Reaction Score
Jordan Swann was an exciting player who got speed. I like it when coaches let him run back, which I have not seen last year!!!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I imagine Chiefs concoction only made things worse.
17szgr.jpg

Reaction Score
Really don't think it's as crazy a suggestion as you're implying. He's a great athlete but first and foremost as a returner you need to make good decisions and not cough up the ball. I think they'll give him more time because he's a freshman but a couple more gamea like this and I'd pull him and try to have him figure it out in practice/film study.
they burned his redshirt on the first play of the game because they think he's their guy. I'm not saying he's guaranteed the job but he should get a long leash.

now, why Jason Thompson is the #2 returner on kick offs is beyond me. they must like his blocking

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
they burned his redshirt on the first play of the game because they think he's their guy. I'm not saying he's guaranteed the job but he should get a long leash.

now, why Jason Thompson is the #2 returner on kick offs is beyond me. they must like his blocking

Must've been an academic/disciplinary issue with Skanes. That must also explain why Tyler Davis started in the slot in his place.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Not going to crucify the kid after one game, but what line of thinking is this?

Ball security and not making mental mistakes are probably two of the biggest traits Edsall values.

Reaction Score
Not going to crucify the kid after one game, but what line of thinking is this?

Ball security and not making mental mistakes are probably two of the biggest traits Edsall values.
he's a true freshman. this is what happens in a rebuild. if he has the most potential in that position you deal with some of the growing pains.

Reaction Score
What did he do to show that he's some extraordinary athlete that is leaps and bounds better than someone else on the roster who isn't a true freshman and won't make true freshman mistakes? I guess I'm just not seeing that. Truly, I think we're all in some sort of denial right now, grasping at straws looking for a positive that doesn't exist. We were absolutely awful last night against a bad FCS school. Granted, they had a good QB, but they dominated us for 4 quarters. I don't know, I'm just about fed up with UConn football after last night

Listen, I'm a realist. We certainly weren't good last night. But I'm also not an extreme pessimist. You apparently got your expectations a little high. I've done that plenty before. Did we match my expectations for last night? definitely not. But I certainly didn't expect a 40-3 win ala RE 1.0 days against FCS. This is the unfortunate reality we UConn fans live in. When we play a C level game, we are in dog fights with FCS level opponents. Even average ones. But you have to take each and every play into account. It's not like guys like Sherrifs, Hopkins, Hergy, Carrezola didn't have a set of good plays and dare I say with you a good game. It's not going to be pretty this year. Especially when things don't fall right for us (JJ, VD, EL all out injured, and FF tossed) along with youthful TO's. But mind you guys like Pindell and Swann were playing in their 1st games at this comp. Expectations is the name of the game. You might want to check yours in order to see some positive light. You can't coach or speak rationally about a game if you generalize a teams performance based on a handful (there were a bunch last night) of bad plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom