So what did everyone think of Jordan Swann? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So what did everyone think of Jordan Swann?

Reaction Score
Not going to crucify the kid after one game, but what line of thinking is this?

Ball security and not making mental mistakes are probably two of the biggest traits Edsall values.

What do you mean line of thinking? Have you ever coached? You start pulling guys because they make one mistake, in their first game nonetheless, your going to be cycling through the roster like a rolodex. If he is clearly your starter and has proved himself in practice over and over and steps out on the field and makes a mistake, you don't abandon him immediately and crush his psyche. If you want him to be confident you keep building him up, teaching him and have his back when he makes mistakes. Yes the time comes sometimes when the next guy up deserves his chance but after one mistake, give me a break.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What do you mean line of thinking? Have you ever coached? You start pulling guys because they make one mistake, in their first game nonetheless, your going to be cycling through the roster like a rolodex. If he is clearly your starter and has proved himself in practice over and over and steps out on the field and makes a mistake, you don't abandon him immediately and crush his psyche. If you want him to be confident you keep building him up, teaching him and have his back when he makes mistakes. Yes the time comes sometimes when the next guy up deserves his chance but after one mistake, give me a break.

Yeah it would be terrible to pull the starter after a mistake. Totally crushing.

I remember Edsall yanking Pindell for Shirreffs and the game went downhill after that.

Oh wait.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

It wasn't one mistake. It was a fumble, a non-fair catch that very well could have become another fumble, and a decision to flag off a ball at like the 35. His only positive play was a 19 yard punt return, which is fine, but not anything to write home about

Reaction Score
Yeah it would be terrible to pull the starter after a mistake. Totally crushing.

I remember Edsall yanking Pindell for Shirreffs and the game went downhill after that.

Oh wait.

Totally different scenario! And I just had a feeling with your high level of thought process you were going to go down that path. For one, the biggest reason RE went to Sherrifs was due to leadership. A trait a QB must have in times like those, not an PR. The ability to exude confidence and bring energy to our guys who were lifeless. Sherrifs is also a Redshirted, 2 year starting, father to 1, experienced 22 year old. One who probably didn't lose out in the QB battle by much more than "not being the guy that the staff personally chose". On top of that there certainly was a greater sample size (2 and half quarters of play) for Pindell to see whether or not he was going to LEAD his team in the most important position on the field.

Reaction Score
I thought he looked good. Legit speed, and now he has some mistakes on film coaches can use to teach him. The punt over his head in that area is a no-no. Kid looked fearless, aggresive, and most importantly fast. We need a lot more speed like his on the roster.

Reaction Score
Well, let's see. He fumbled a kick return, got hammered on what should have been a fair catch, and made a bonehead play that got us backed up on the 1 at a time when Holy Cross was killing us and we really needed a good drive. Honestly, I don't care if he's fast. He made so many plays that absolutely killed us last night, I'd yank him. Maybe I'm just pissed from last night, but he really couldn't have done a worse job

Nick Williams had one go off his hands in his first game as well . . .

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Again, it's not an indictment on the kid or his future ability to contribute here at UConn.

However, his play last night was unacceptable if we want to be the UConn of 2007-2010.

He'll improve no doubt about it, but let's not make it seem like the kid was above all reproach based on a couple decent returns.

Reaction Score
I thought he looked good. Legit speed, and now he has some mistakes on film coaches can use to teach him. The punt over his head in that area is a no-no. Kid looked fearless, aggresive, and most importantly fast. We need a lot more speed like his on the roster.

The punt over his head was a really strange kick. It was an absolute line drive -- you wouldn't expect it to carry like it did, even with the wind.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Well, let's see. He fumbled a kick return, got hammered on what should have been a fair catch, and made a bonehead play that got us backed up on the 1 at a time when Holy Cross was killing us and we really needed a good drive. Honestly, I don't care if he's fast. He made so many plays that absolutely killed us last night, I'd yank him. Maybe I'm just pissed from last night, but he really couldn't have done a worse job
HEY!!

Reaction Score
LOL. The boneyard.

That kid, as long as he doesn't get his head smashed, is going to be a fantastic player. It takes ice water in your veins and balls of steel to play like that kid last night in that position and role on a football team, and his return on kick late in the game was key.

Reaction Score
Watched RE speak to him after he got hammered on non-fair catch. He walked away with a smile on his face. So whatever was said, I imagine RE coached him up with a positive message. I think he is going to be very good and I think those mistakes are behind him. Looking for really good things.

Reaction Score
they burned his redshirt on the first play of the game because they think he's their guy. I'm not saying he's guaranteed the job but he should get a long leash.

now, why Jason Thompson is the #2 returner on kick offs is beyond me. they must like his blocking
that doesn't mean you don't use him later in the year but if his decision-making continues on this path, I guarantee you he'll see the bench sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Yes he should have called for a fair catch on the play he got hammered and his fumble cost us, but overall, I'm excited about him. Good acceleration and speed and I love his attitude of trying to make things happen. I think he's going do some damage this year.

(As an aside it is good to actually have returns, isn't it?)

Forgave the fumble for trying to do to much but I like him

Reaction Score
He played like a freshman. Like his 0-60 speed.
He played ok, I'm surprised no one mentioned how well the two in state red shirt freshman played, Dixon on offense and Coyle on defense.

Reaction Score
He played ok, I'm surprised no one mentioned how well the two in state red shirt freshman played, Dixon on offense and Coyle on defense.
Coyle didn't play well at all

Reaction Score
I was just looking at the box score, didn't see the game. 8 with 4 solo. What did he do that wasn't good play?

He bit on play action a lot. Gave up a TD right through his zone.

Reaction Score
Totally different scenario! And I just had a feeling with your high level of thought process you were going to go down that path. For one, the biggest reason RE went to Sherrifs was due to leadership. A trait a QB must have in times like those, not an PR. The ability to exude confidence and bring energy to our guys who were lifeless. Sherrifs is also a Redshirted, 2 year starting, father to 1, experienced 22 year old. One who probably didn't lose out in the QB battle by much more than "not being the guy that the staff personally chose". On top of that there certainly was a greater sample size (2 and half quarters of play) for Pindell to see whether or not he was going to LEAD his team in the most important position on the field.

Totally agree....as I started reading the thread I was waiting for this comparison to come up. Spot on @kcc1442!!!

And I'll add to your point....Swann made an "aggressive" mistake. A coach will never punish a kid for that. You coach him up, even if the mistake is costly. KR/PR need to have that aggressiveness, that's what makes them dangerous. We've seen enough "passive" special teams to kill what makes Swann a threat to take one to the house. I loved what I saw and I think he'll find the endzone at some point.

Pindell wasn't replaced because he fumbled. He was replaced because he was becoming "passive" and the offense was becoming stagnant. Edsall wants him to be aggressive and decisive. He wasn't doing that. He wasn't being the guy that won the job. As kcc1442 said he wasn't LEADING and he wasn't making plays. The difference in the offense was evident when BS was inserted. He was confident, decisive and in total control of the offense. He made plays and LED the team to victory.

There's a huge difference between aggressive mistakes and passive mistakes.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Right but last night was just an exhibition game so we're goo ...wait? What? First three games of the season count? Since when? Wtf?

Fumble, get us pinned at the goal line...just partners is making us better!

C

Chief00

Potential but Freshmen mistakes. As long as he demonstrates improvement - I can live with it.

Reaction Score
I just watched the first quarter and what I saw was him narrowly missing an interception that broke up a third down play. If it had not been for that HC's first 3 points might have been 7. So far I think your statement that he didn't play well at all is BS, but I'll tell you what I think after seeing the rest of the game.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Low bar, but he seemed to have the best tackling instincts out of any of the newcomers. He definitely impressed me more than Bell and Fortt in that regard.

Reaction Score
I thought Swann has the attitude to be a terrific return man. He made two bad plays but he is exciting fast and fearless. To the degree that Holy Cross was kicking away from him later in the game. I suspect he will take something all the way before the year is over. Maybe a couple of somethings. And I loved his comment that at the college level we even have plays and stuff for the return game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom