So the offense doesn't work | The Boneyard

So the offense doesn't work

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is tough to admit that the offense is a bust two games into the season, but it is. Hurley has to adjust, because if UConn tries the offense it used for the last 80 minutes against Big East teams (or at least those not coached by Patrick Ewing), the Huskies may win 4-5 league games in total.

I think UConn NEEDS someone inside. Sanogo or Whaley is a start, but I will take anyone at this point. Martin and Jackson are welcome to post too. STOP GIVING THE CENTER THE BALL ABOVE THE 3 POINT LINE!!!!! Why does this keep happening?

I think UConn should run Polley and Jackson baseline for cross screens for the center, to hide behind the zone, and to pop out and shoot corner 3's. UConn could also play Bouk here and have Polley on the wing. Jackson is a good passer, so have him flash high, then attack from the high post or dump to the center.

10 minutes max of 3 of Bouk, Cole, Gaff, and Adams on the court at once. Small ball doesn't work. Those 4 should be sharing 90 minutes of playing time at the most, and Bouk is playing 30+ so the math gets simple for everyone else.

There needs to be movement. Flex, Attack, Motion, Princeton, I don't care. Run the picket fence or some of those other plays from yesteryear, just don't have 5 statues outside the 3 point line. Wings need to track behind the post for kickouts. Make the perimeter defenders commit instead of covering two people while standing in place like UHa was doing tonight.

Let's hear some other thoughts. There are no bad ideas, other than what UConn did against Central and Hartford.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They scored 102 points 2 days ago.

Would you say that Central Connecticut State University's men's basketball team is better or worse than the teams UConn will be playing in its conference schedule?

Reaction Score
Would you say that Central Connecticut State University's men's basketball team is better or worse than the teams UConn will be playing in its conference schedule?
No but it’s still 102 points. That’s not nothing. It was one bad day.

Reaction Score
It's November in a historically unprecedented season where they've barely practiced and no one has any idea from one day to the next whether they're going to play their next game. The rotation is way too big and they have multiple guys they're trying to integrate on the fly. It seems a little premature to proclaim something broken at this point.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's November in a historically unprecedented season where they've barely practiced and no one has any idea from one day to the next whether they're going to play their next game. The rotation is way too big and they have multiple guys they're trying to integrate on the fly. It seems a little premature to proclaim something broken at this point.

I will try it a different way. THIS offense does not work. I don't think more practice is going to make it significantly better.

Reaction Score
I will try it a different way. THIS offense does not work. I don't think more practice is going to make it significantly better.
You don't think it will work. What does Dan Hurley think? I tend to think that is more important. Too early to panic or draw any long lasting conclusions.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You don't think it will work. What does Dan Hurley think? I tend to think that is more important. Too early to panic or draw any long lasting conclusions.

Let's see. There are two threads on this board over the last two days totaling 9 pages where I point out all the problems with the small ball, 4 and 5 out offense, and then tonight, every single one of the issues I raised was a problem.

Either I am a genius, or these problems are obvious and need to be addressed. Which do you prefer?

Reaction Score
Let's see. There are two threads on this board over the last two days totaling 9 pages where I point out all the problems with the small ball, 4 and 5 out offense, and then tonight, every single one of the issues I raised was a problem.

Either I am a genius, or these problems are obvious and need to be addressed. Which do you prefer?
So are the choices you are a genius or you are right? Option C: It's early and you are a passionate UConn fan but might be slightly dramatic after a couple of cupcake games that were not as dominant as your offseason expectations. We are a work in progress with talent. Gonzaga was on another channel.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The 5 out, small ball offense doesn't really work anywhere for any team.

Take the NBA. A few teams, like the Milwaukee Bucks, got away with it for a while because they were so much more talented than their opponents, but in a 7 game series against a decent opponent like the Heat, they were easy to shut down. Toronto was beating Boston on great play by Ibaka and Gasol, then they went small at crunch time against the Celtics and lost. Now Ibaka and Gasol are gone, and the Raptors will be a mid-40's win team going forward.

This offense is easy to stop even by less talented teams. It will not work.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I’ll try it a different way. The guy who acts like a know it all all year long doesn’t like how the mens team played in a tune up game.

I am trying to have an X's and O's conversation. There are plenty of other threads where you can make random insults.

Reaction Score
I think the foul trouble and stoppage of the game was disruptive to the flow of the team tonight on offense.

Beyond that, I agree Sanogo and Akok will eventually need to play a bigger role, and Bouk and Cole need to play better together. I don't see a problem here though. I see a good team, that can be great, and a coach that is actively figuring it out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the foul trouble and stoppage of the game was disruptive to the flow of the team tonight on offense.

Beyond that, I agree Sanogo and Akok will eventually need to play a bigger role, and Bouk and Cole need to play better together. I don't see a problem here though. I see a good team, that can be great, and a coach that is actively figuring it out.

We have good penetrators, but penetration is harder in a 4 or 5 offense out because it is easy to fill the gaps on defense. Penetrators need isolation and room to move, or a screen to get them started.

Reaction Score
It's possible you are overreacting to an early season game and drawing some overly dramatic conclusions. Maybe a little confirmation bias going on here. Look, it hasn't been a mona lisa. Still no reason to have a fit and draw lasting conclusions and proclaim how right you are after 2 games. You are shouting into your own echo chamber. Let's let this thing play out a little. There will be ebbs and flows.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The 5 out, small ball offense doesn't really work anywhere for any team.

Take the NBA. A few teams, like the Milwaukee Bucks, got away with it for a while because they were so much more talented than their opponents, but in a 7 game series against a decent opponent like the Heat, they were easy to shut down. Toronto was beating Boston on great play by Ibaka and Gasol, then they went small at crunch time against the Celtics and lost. Now Ibaka and Gasol are gone, and the Raptors will be a mid-40's win team going forward.

This offense is easy to stop even by less talented teams. It will not work.
We. Don't. Play. 5. Out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Watch any 10 minutes of the replay of the Louisville/Seton Hall game if you want to see what two very good offenses look like. The spacing was incredible. There were driving lanes, ball screens, back screens and slip screens, excellent passing, and both teams got a lot of good looks despite I thought pretty good defense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah I’m not sure what on earth he’s talking about. Acting like an X’s and O’s Guru but doesn’t know that we don’t run a 5 out offense.

You like to tell everyone how stupid they are. Why don't you add something to the board? Tell me what the offense is doing and should be doing.

Reaction Score
DH must see something we don’t. It’s the same general offensive scheme as the last two years. Take a few possessions and focus on off-the-ball player movement. Positionally, offensive rebounding is a challenge with players hanging around the 3 line, and for shot selection it’s either take it to the rim or pop a 3. There is virtually no mid-range scoring.

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m not sure what on earth he’s talking about. Acting like an X’s and O’s Guru but doesn’t know that we don’t run a 5 out offense.
He has no clue what he's watching, doesn't even know the offensive and defensive schemes being run yet creates threads and pollutes the game threads talking about how Hurley and basically all coaches don't know how to run offense.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
DH must see something we don’t. It’s the same general offensive scheme as the last two years. Take a few possessions and focus on off-the-ball player movement. Positionally, offensive rebounding is a challenge with players hanging around the 3 line, and for shot selection it’s either take it to the rim or pop a 3. There is virtually no mid-range scoring.
Mid range scoring is not a priority what so ever, and is dying all throughout basketball. Why would we emphasize that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom