So the new AD wants to improve the game day experience... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So the new AD wants to improve the game day experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
See the real issue I see is this.....none of us ...I think...have an issue with getting into the stadium on time and with the game day experience itself, or at least minimal.

It's those that ar enot getting there that need to be asked and where the heck does one start with finding them?

Reaction Score
It is nott air horns, free beer or giveaways that is going to get people in their seats on time. I think it comes down to one singular event... the runnout/introduction from the tunnel. It has to be an EVENT. Incredible video of past players, incredible plays and scenes from the Rent, historical video from years gone by. Play with the stadium lights, get a cheer going, have huge flags and then have an unbelievable song ready for the runout. Get Diaco involved. Bring out Calhoun, Auriemma, Jesus Shuttlesworth and other great alumni. Camera's showing a live feed of the players coming out of the locker room. This is what gets people pumped and into the seats.

On a personal note., I stopped tailgating 30 minutes prior to game time to make the 25 minute walk to Williams Brice to see this Gamecock Introduction (yes I had roadies). Everyone was having a great time at the tailgate, but absolutely NO ONE wanted to miss the introduction. Yes, it is a long video, but look at all of those involved on the field. Turn it up at 4 minutes to hear 2001. I love how the music goes between PA to band back to PA all the way up to kickoff. If this type of noise comes from the stadium for 5 minutes prior to kickoff, eventually people will shut down their Tailgating early and come on in because they will feel that they are missing something.

I have to walk a total of 100 yards from the Blue Lot to get into the stadium and I sometimes miss the intro because I don't feel I am missing much. I really enjoyed O'Fortuna when we ran out to this. It was shelved when Coach P. came aboard. I felt that people were really getting into this intro. Bring it back. Of all the posts on this issue, I loved the idea of getting Jasper's #6 involved, maybe like Howard's Rock at Clemson. The players actually take a bus from the Locker Room to the opposite side of the field and come down the hill. We have the same setup.

It is not just South Carolina. Auburn with the War Eagle, Virginia Tech with Enter Sandman (VT vs Ohio State in 2015 was best opening I ever saw on live TV), a buffalo in Colorado. It is an EVENT. That is what we need!

Make it happen UConn. I am here to help if you need me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is nott air horns, free beer or giveaways that is going to get people in their seats on time. I think it comes down to one singular event... the runnout/introduction from the tunnel. It has to be an EVENT. Incredible video of past players, incredible plays and scenes from the Rent, historical video from years gone by. Play with the stadium lights, get a cheer going, have huge flags and then have an unbelievable song ready for the runout. Get Diaco involved. Bring out Calhoun, Auriemma, Jesus Shuttlesworth and other great alumni. Camera's showing a live feed of the players coming out of the locker room. This is what gets people pumped and into the seats.

On a personal note., I stopped tailgating 30 minutes prior to game time to make the 25 minute walk to Williams Brice to see this Gamecock Introduction (yes I had roadies). Everyone was having a great time at the tailgate, but absolutely NO ONE wanted to miss the introduction. Yes, it is a long video, but look at all of those involved on the field. Turn it up at 4 minutes to hear 2001. I love how the music goes between PA to band back to PA all the way up to kickoff. If this type of noise comes from the stadium for 5 minutes prior to kickoff, eventually people will shut down their Tailgating early and come on in because they will feel that they are missing something.

I have to walk a total of 100 yards from the Blue Lot to get into the stadium and I sometimes miss the intro because I don't feel I am missing much. I really enjoyed O'Fortuna when we ran out to this. It was shelved when Coach P. came aboard. I felt that people were really getting into this intro. Bring it back. Of all the posts on this issue, I loved the idea of getting Jasper's #6 involved, maybe like Howard's Rock at Clemson. The players actually take a bus from the Locker Room to the opposite side of the field and come down the hill. We have the same setup.

It is not just South Carolina. Auburn with the War Eagle, Virginia Tech with Enter Sandman (VT vs Ohio State in 2015 was best opening I ever saw on live TV), a buffalo in Colorado. It is an EVENT. That is what we need!

Make it happen UConn. I am hear to help if you need me.

I definitely think with Diaco and Benedict the right guys are in place to make it happen.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
more cheerleaders, less clothing

Only if they change some of the cheerleaders...in fact, that's a good idea, return to the former fitness test for cheerleaders.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score

Make it happen UConn. I am here to help if you need me.

100% right on this.
Nice job.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yet another thread on "game day experience" with nothing new to say. The game day experience is fine. I've been to several other places, including a couple of Mecca's, and UConn fits right in. It's a false issue, just quibbling about minor preferences.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I used to get chills during O'Fortuna.

I want that feeling again.

Love ACDC...maybe a diff song...I dunno....

The players announcing themselves....hometown.....state.....was awesome to hear......This Town, CT...
This town, FL.......This town, GA...etc. etc.

Yeah.....gonna be a long off season

Reaction Score
I like it but would go one step further. Play brass bonanza after every touchdown.

Didn't want to overkill it, but then again it isn't like we score a ton of touchdowns.

Reaction Score
More promotions - Like when they say the game will be a "blue out" give every one a free shirt. I'm sure they can find enough sponsors to cover the back of the shirt with ads to cover the cost of this for 1 game a year.

Better beer options - They have slowly started to do this the past few years but add more local craft beers. They added a stand under the score board, and they have added a Two Roads Stand, but having more spread through out the stadium would be great. Also switch up the beer for different games, don't just get one style and pour for all 7 games, variety is good.

More tailgating time- They added the extra hour for season ticket holders which was a good start but extend the hours for everyone.

More 3:30 P.M. Saturday games - I know this has more to do with the networks and nothing that Uconn can control and might be more of just my personal preference, but I think a later start time would bring more students to the game.

Better Schedule - Get out of the AAC

Reaction Score
More promotions - Like when they say the game will be a "blue out" give every one a free shirt. I'm sure they can find enough sponsors to cover the back of the shirt with ads to cover the cost of this for 1 game a year.

Better beer options - They have slowly started to do this the past few years but add more local craft beers. They added a stand under the score board, and they have added a Two Roads Stand, but having more spread through out the stadium would be great. Also switch up the beer for different games, don't just get one style and pour for all 7 games, variety is good.

More tailgating time- They added the extra hour for season ticket holders which was a good start but extend the hours for everyone.

More 3:30 P.M. Saturday games - I know this has more to do with the networks and nothing that Uconn can control and might be more of just my personal preference, but I think a later start time would bring more students to the game.

Better Schedule - Get out of the AAC[/QUOTE]
Honestly the schedule is good this year..that's one thing Warde did a really good job at. I listen to my friends at PSU bitch moan and complain about the teams that they get as OOC games and in this department UConn is doing pretty good. As for getting out of the AAC easier said than done..hopefully that gets taken care of by June.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Better Schedule - Get out of the AAC
Your tailgate issue is easy to fix.

You want more tailgate time? Buy season tickets.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I do buy season tickets, but that was a general idea for the overall game day experience not just for me.
Season ticket holders deserve perks for committing to the season up front.

Theoretically, season tickets are discounted, but in practice that is before the "voluntary donation" and well before single game ticket prices are reduced to $15/pc. 48 hour before kick off in order to goose walk up sales.

It would be awful PR, as well as business practice, to offer the 5th hour of tailgating to the general public for little to no return.

Reaction Score
They need to go get one of those planes sitting in the airplane graveyards in Arizona and put it on the runway and have it painted in UConn football livery
I love this idea! I would take it a step further and retrofit the plane with a bunch of TVs, a stage, and a sound system and let it be the gathering place for the student tailgate. Have a bar on the inside where only students 21+ are allowed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like it but would go one step further. Play brass bonanza after every touchdown.

I love Brass Bonanza at hockey games. It is amazing and totally fires up the crowd (not that that is hard to do after a goal.) I'm not so sure about it for football. I'd rather hear UConn Husky, especially if we could get the crowd to jump in at least for 'Fight!' chant. It is a "yuge" part of our brand.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
And even a step further... They have to pay if they leave before the game ends!
Actually had a conversation with a big donor about this a few years ago. Some of it was his idea but I don't think it was ever implemented.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
MarbleheadHushofHQuc t: 1600694 said:
It has been mentioned many times before, but I would love to see a pack of Husky Dogs come out of the tunnel, with UConn Cornelius riding the sleigh. Also, it should be to our old lead in song, O'Fortuna?

First fifteen seconds of this video would be the perfect entrance for us.

And the more I think about it, we should bring the Yeti out pregame to scare our opponents.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have the players pat the Jazz stature and walk through the stadium aka something like Clemson does. Make a ramp or incorporate something with Jasper!

They should put his monument on the field near the entrance tunnel. Right now it's under the video board and all the drunks litter on it - very distasteful.

Reaction Score
I love BB and I don't think it would be a bad idea to have it played once every home game.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see more local flavor inside the concession stands. I'd love to see something like a food truck promotional day. Invite a bunch of local food trucks and have them all park near the entrances of the stadium. I'd love to see more incentives for the students as well. Free busing and make larger bbq or before hand so they have a reason to get there early.

Also I like the rewards programs some NFL teams are running. Have like card you can can when you walk in and collect reward points for showing up early, being loud (false starts, delay of games etc...), maybe even work something into social media. All these points can,be redeemed for apparel or tickets to other games.

Reaction Score
Definitely fix the intros.

It was so much better under Edsall. The old cheerleading coach or whatever doing the chants was kind of generic, but people participated. Then that led right in to Ol Fortuna, everyone was paying attention and knew the intros were about to happen, people were banging on the walls, and it was loud. Now people are just sitting around, and if you aren't paying attention, you might not even realize the team is about to take the field.

Reaction Score
It may have been said before but, in conjunction with the Husky howl as a signal, all fans with tickets scanned inside the stadium 10 mins prior to kick off (maybe 5?) receive a coupon for a discounted merch or food item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom