So the new AD wants to improve the game day experience... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So the new AD wants to improve the game day experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Scoring a TD in the first quarter would be nice. People don't think they are missing anything by coming in late 1st quarter, we score 3 points/1st quarter. Send up some fireworks 30-40 minutes before game time and let them know the show is about to start. We need an O.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
More band. Less jock jams.

(yes I'm biased)
I disagree with this one. The student section loves it and it's fun. We need more cheers and excitment, not less.

As for the band, I'm biased , too. At the Big House at the U of Mich, band members disperse in small groups throughout the stadium and play their fight song. The overall game day experience is great there, but it helps that the stadium is on campus. Tailgating is an all day and sometimes all night experience there.

As for the "first down" thing, I don't like it. Especially when we're down 3 scores in the last quarter. This isn't a sport where lap points count. I met the guy who recommended it to the AD, (I was on a vacation outside the US. I walked up to him because he was wearing UConn apparel). I didn't want to tell him I didn't like it. But c'mon, the students are several Rolling Rocks to the wind and would love anything loud:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Make it like nascar where fans can bring in coolers that fit 83 beers
If my memory serves me correctly, you brought in 12 cokes for a race once with no rum to mix it with. Sully and I could have killed you.

Reaction Score
Have recorded video players answering questions on big board during timeouts. Wisconsin did this. (One question was "what was the greatest invention of the last 100 years". One player said "Dippin dots")

Get Brass Bonanza played at some point.

Reaction Score
So what's the answer? How do we create an incentive to get butts in the seats, especially students. "Swag points?" Not entirely sure how you keep track of that.

I think the air raid siren is already a bit of a brand. I'd use that as a heads up. If you time it right it could be an effective reminder, if not overused to the point of annoyance.

I don't know. I spend zero amount of time worrying about it. What I do know is that sirens or barking dogs won't work.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
It has been mentioned many times before, but I would love to see a pack of Husky Dogs come out of the tunnel, with UConn Cornelius riding the sleigh. Also, it should be to our old lead in song, O'Fortuna?
Love the idea of a pack of huskies racing in with the guys out of the tunnel!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Give aways for people in their seats 15 minutes prior to kickoff and also 4th qtr 2 minutes warning. Especially for the students - something significant like free IPads would draw people in earlier and keep them later. Also, free student busing that leaves 20 minutes after game ends. Finally, student area for tailgaiting experience......

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Give aways for people in their seats 15 minutes prior to kickoff and also 4th qtr 2 minutes warning. Especially for the students - something significant like free IPads would draw people in earlier and keep them later. Also, free student busing that leaves 20 minutes after game ends. Finally, student area for tailgaiting experience.
100% on board with all out bribery to get people inside / to stay.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Give aways for people in their seats 15 minutes prior to kickoff and also 4th qtr 2 minutes warning. Especially for the students - something significant like free IPads would draw people in earlier and keep them later. Also, free student busing that leaves 20 minutes after game ends. Finally, student area for tailgaiting experience.
And even a step further... They have to pay if they leave before the game ends!

Reaction Score
You guys need to get more creative if you're worried about getting people in for kickoff. Those people know exactly what time it is and are willingly getting in some extra libations and pork sandwiches at their tail gaits. To think that a stupid horn or howling dog will get people in on time is not realistic. It will only annoy the crap out of people.

Also, if you're looking for a sure fire way to see a 10k average attendance, force people to wrap up their tail gaits a half hour before kickoff.

Or offer $2 beers starting 1 hr before kickoff, until kickoff. May cause other issues, though....

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Doing nothing isn't an answer. Something needs to be done to get people inside before the kickoff and having them stay until the end of the game. I like the idea of giveaways for students even if it is apps or something similar.
The rest of the fans should just get their butts inside like other football schools. This isn't FCS football but FBS. Time to have fans act like it, especially when UConn has a team on the upswing. Dammit get inside ans support the team

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Doing nothing isn't an answer. Something needs to be done to get people inside before the kickoff and having them stay until the end of the game. I like the idea of giveaways for students even if it is apps or something similar.
The rest of the fans should just get their butts inside like other football schools. This isn't FCS football but FBS. Time to have fans act like it, especially when UConn has a team on the upswing. Dammit get inside ans support the team

The only problem with the "damnit get in the seats" mantra with the crowd is that its what we have been saying for the last five years.... to no avail.

Reaction Score
You guys need to get more creative if you're worried about getting people in for kickoff. Those people know exactly what time it is and are willingly getting in some extra libations and pork sandwiches at their tail gaits. To think that a stupid horn or howling dog will get people in on time is not realistic. It will only annoy the crap out of people.

Also, if you're looking for a sure fire way to see a 10k average attendance, force people to wrap up their tail gaits a half hour before kickoff.
Agree. I think there is still a lot of people that come for the tailgate with little desire to go into the game.

Discounted concessions might be an incentive to pull people into the stadium. Not even sure that would work.

Maybe they could have give-aways or other fan friendly events to incent people to come in.

I think any enforcement methods will result in more threads about the police or LAZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom