So the new AD wants to improve the game day experience... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So the new AD wants to improve the game day experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Remember the ice cream trucks that used to go street to street? Or even a handcart with refrigeration, to go around the parking lots, selling Husky ice cream.

Bring back "O Fortunate" please, I miss it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It is nott air horns, free beer or giveaways that is going to get people in their seats on time. I think it comes down to one singular event... the runnout/introduction from the tunnel. It has to be an EVENT. Incredible video of past players, incredible plays and scenes from the Rent, historical video from years gone by. Play with the stadium lights, get a cheer going, have huge flags and then have an unbelievable song ready for the runout. Get Diaco involved. Bring out Calhoun, Auriemma, Jesus Shuttlesworth and other great alumni. Camera's showing a live feed of the players coming out of the locker room. This is what gets people pumped and into the seats.

On a personal note., I stopped tailgating 30 minutes prior to game time to make the 25 minute walk to Williams Brice to see this Gamecock Introduction (yes I had roadies). Everyone was having a great time at the tailgate, but absolutely NO ONE wanted to miss the introduction. Yes, it is a long video, but look at all of those involved on the field. Turn it up at 4 minutes to hear 2001. I love how the music goes between PA to band back to PA all the way up to kickoff. If this type of noise comes from the stadium for 5 minutes prior to kickoff, eventually people will shut down their Tailgating early and come on in because they will feel that they are missing something.

I have to walk a total of 100 yards from the Blue Lot to get into the stadium and I sometimes miss the intro because I don't feel I am missing much. I really enjoyed O'Fortuna when we ran out to this. It was shelved when Coach P. came aboard. I felt that people were really getting into this intro. Bring it back. Of all the posts on this issue, I loved the idea of getting Jasper's #6 involved, maybe like Howard's Rock at Clemson. The players actually take a bus from the Locker Room to the opposite side of the field and come down the hill. We have the same setup.

It is not just South Carolina. Auburn with the War Eagle, Virginia Tech with Enter Sandman (VT vs Ohio State in 2015 was best opening I ever saw on live TV), a buffalo in Colorado. It is an EVENT. That is what we need!

Make it happen UConn. I am here to help if you need me.

Awesome post. Agree with all of it.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I know it's a terrible terrible song, but I'm a real sucker for the "U-C-O-N-N" chants when they play that horrible song "Are You Ready?" They started playing it before the start of 3rd periods at hockey games now and it seems to get the crowd going. Interactive music of sorts.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Honestly, if we could do away with half of the corporate nonsense and on-field promos during TV timeouts, I'll be happy. I know we have to find ways to pay the bills, but nothing sets a minor league baseball atmosphere like an obstacle course race during timeouts.

Reaction Score
I love Brass Bonanza at hockey games. It is amazing and totally fires up the crowd (not that that is hard to do after a goal.) I'm not so sure about it for football. I'd rather hear UConn Husky, especially if we could get the crowd to jump in at least for 'Fight!' chant. It is a "yuge" part of our brand.

THANK YOU ! No hate to Whalers fans the green is for them. :D I realize many attend our games as many flags fly at tailgates along with well worn hats. Brass Bonanza was a great song for their team and really fit. Bad enough they took away our block "C" and our smiling dog, what little tradition we had, that and gave us a hockey wolf in its place. We simply DO NOT need Bonanza in the mix.
We have a world class band with great songs. It is the culture and football mentality that needs to be continually nurtured. Not ranting on anyone here as most (not all) I am sure are diehards. What we need is 35,000 more people that could care less if they were playing Barry Manilow or Lawerence Welk. This and off their seat and on their feet to bring the team on the field!

Reaction Score
They should put his monument on the field near the entrance tunnel. Right now it's under the video board and all the drunks litter on it - very distasteful.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, especially when it come to any way to build tradition with our program but the statue was always intended to be in a place that fans would have access to it. As part of our planning we talked with many players from 2009 and to a man they wanted in a place people, the fans, could touch and take pictures with. Kashif Moore said that the memorial was for us as well as them. He told me they got through that time in part because of the fans. We had hoped to put it down the other end so the team could touch it on their way down the steps but there just wasn't enough space to do so and keep egress open from the stands. The location now makes it a real part of the stadium as it is visible from 90% of the seats. To be fair, we were worried about the cocktail party down there that's why we insisted on the black straps around it. I'm down there a lot to check on it and I've never found anything left on it. In fact everyone treats it with the respect its due and people bring new fans to it all the time. I love its location and so does the 2009 team and Jasper's family.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They need to go get one of those planes sitting in the airplane graveyards in Arizona and put it on the runway and have it painted in UConn football livery

Put it on a pedestal so it rises above the open end of the stadium towards Hartford. To heck with it, get three or four of them and make it a flying squadron.

Reaction Score
Not to rain on anyone's parade, especially when it come to any way to build tradition with our program but the statue was always intended to be in a place that fans would have access to it. As part of our planning we talked with many players from 2009 and to a man they wanted in a place people, the fans, could touch and take pictures with. Kashif Moore said that the memorial was for us as well as them. He told me they got through that time in part because of the fans. We had hoped to put it down the other end so the team could touch it on their way down the steps but there just wasn't enough space to do so and keep egress open from the stands. The location now makes it a real part of the stadium as it is visible from 90% of the seats. To be fair, we were worried about the cocktail party down there that's why we insisted on the black straps around it. I'm down there a lot to check on it and I've never found anything left on it. In fact everyone treats it with the respect its due and people bring new fans to it all the time. I love its location and so does the 2009 team and Jasper's family.

No ill intent with my comment but I've have seen it with my own eyes the litter scattered about around it. Now I don't know if that's people littering per se or the wind whipping up trash but it's there but I understand it's pretty much unavoidable.

I thank you for the explanation and it makes more sense why it is so with that in mind what I would propose is for a Husky statue at the entrance of the tunnel. I would also like to see something implemented that could illuminate the wonderful Jazz memorial for night games.

Reaction Score
Please, please put the Dog Pound padding back on the student section wall. The amount of noise they made banging on it was amazing.

Why did they ever take it down, does anyone know? It added a ton of sound.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well said Dan...any newcomers I bring to games, always make sure I bring them to the statue and tell them about Jazz, the day the staue was unveiled, and the efforts of you and Lisa, former players, and coaches to get it built and installed. Thank you again...not many dry eyes that day...

Reaction Score
It is nott air horns, free beer or giveaways that is going to get people in their seats on time. I think it comes down to one singular event... the runnout/introduction from the tunnel. It has to be an EVENT. Incredible video of past players, incredible plays and scenes from the Rent, historical video from years gone by. Play with the stadium lights, get a cheer going, have huge flags and then have an unbelievable song ready for the runout. Get Diaco involved. Bring out Calhoun, Auriemma, Jesus Shuttlesworth and other great alumni. Camera's showing a live feed of the players coming out of the locker room. This is what gets people pumped and into the seats.

On a personal note., I stopped tailgating 30 minutes prior to game time to make the 25 minute walk to Williams Brice to see this Gamecock Introduction (yes I had roadies). Everyone was having a great time at the tailgate, but absolutely NO ONE wanted to miss the introduction. Yes, it is a long video, but look at all of those involved on the field. Turn it up at 4 minutes to hear 2001. I love how the music goes between PA to band back to PA all the way up to kickoff. If this type of noise comes from the stadium for 5 minutes prior to kickoff, eventually people will shut down their Tailgating early and come on in because they will feel that they are missing something.

I have to walk a total of 100 yards from the Blue Lot to get into the stadium and I sometimes miss the intro because I don't feel I am missing much. I really enjoyed O'Fortuna when we ran out to this. It was shelved when Coach P. came aboard. I felt that people were really getting into this intro. Bring it back. Of all the posts on this issue, I loved the idea of getting Jasper's #6 involved, maybe like Howard's Rock at Clemson. The players actually take a bus from the Locker Room to the opposite side of the field and come down the hill. We have the same setup.

It is not just South Carolina. Auburn with the War Eagle, Virginia Tech with Enter Sandman (VT vs Ohio State in 2015 was best opening I ever saw on live TV), a buffalo in Colorado. It is an EVENT. That is what we need!

Make it happen UConn. I am here to help if you need me.

Holy Crap! I'm a diehard BBall fan and I've NEVER been to a football game at the Rent. But if we had a game day experience like these I'd never miss a home game.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
White out. White out at home. We never wear white in FB at Rent.
White tees giveaway plus everyone has a white tee regardless.
And 5o cent drafts.

Reaction Score
Holy Crap! I'm a diehard BBall fan and I've NEVER been to a football game at the Rent. But if we had a game day experience like these I'd never miss a home game.
Hello and welcome to football 7961! Absolutely NO spitting match here just my take on your comment and a few of my own to hopefully get you into the Dog House this year. ;)
The videos you enjoyed from CL82 are great and nothing here against him or her either, I love 98% of all UConn fans. Now to my point, the videos supplied are of VT vs Ohio St and that of SC which have much more history than we do. This along with a much larger fan base. We have a good game day experience, ( I will catch it for this on a few down years ) we have a world class band.
What WE don't have that you saw in those videos is a jumping up and down screaming body in front of EVERY seat in the house. Watch them again and you will see the fans are simply fanatical about bringing their team on the field. We could have Bob on a dog sled being pulled onto the field in front of the team which I think would be great but that would be a small percentage of what makes the game day experience. IT'S THE FANS !
I find it a little strange you would make the comment you did having never been to a game but again, glad to see you here. I hope you give it a shot this year and bring along some friends. I am a fan of both BBall teams also but they do not have tail gaiting to enhance the game day experience. :D

White out. White out at home. We never wear white in FB at Rent.
White tees giveaway plus everyone has a white tee regardless.
And 5o cent drafts.
86, I like the number, ran it on a car a few times. White out is ok and probably the only way to get a large % of our infancy fan base to wear school colors. But as you say it would have to be a give away as there is very little white UConn garb. Blue or gray is another topic I have drawers full. :)
As for the 50 cent drafts I think you just wanted to get your white out in and then pick up some likes. :D It worked for me.

Reaction Score
All great ideas. Can you please ask for a Dairy Bar, inside and outside the Rent.
Going to the basketball game today I passed a sign company off 84 in Southington. They must do signage for vehicles as I saw two police cars and what appeared to be a large food truck (I didn't see it from the serving side). That truck had the new Husky logo along with the words UConn Dairy Bar. Maybe someone is listening.

Reaction Score
Going to the basketball game today I passed a sign company off 84 in Southington. They must do signage for vehicles as I saw two police cars and what appeared to be a large food truck (I didn't see it from the serving side). That truck had the new Husky logo along with the words UConn Dairy Bar. Maybe someone is listening.

Nice intel... that's Sign Pro in Plantsville. They did the wrap on the Ice bus.

Reaction Score
Re the dog pound post about litter around The Jazz memorial,it is the wind blowing litter around. We sit one row down on the open end of the concourse and there are times we sit with litter almost up to our knees, from the wind. The worst is the beer bottles that come rolling down on us. I appreciate your concern however.

Reaction Score
UCMB is awesome but it's been the same pre game show since the Rent opened

Battle Hymn etc. Why come early when it's the same show...every week...every year

I like the fun ideas of running out of the tunnel with guest stars or the dog pack

It's not an event to see to be there early. You need to be afraid of what you're going to miss if you're not in your seat early

Reaction Score

Nice intel... that's Sign Pro in Plantsville. They did the wrap on the Ice bus.

UConn1:49pm via Twitter Web Client
Spring is around the corner & @UCDairyBarTruck will dish out ice cream again beginning April 1, Thursdays & Fridays.
12424664_193621701005791_643775632_n.jpg

Reaction Score
UCMB is awesome but it's been the same pre game show since the Rent opened

Battle Hymn etc. Why come early when it's the same show...every week...every year

I like the fun ideas of running out of the tunnel with guest stars or the dog pack

It's not an event to see to be there early. You need to be afraid of what you're going to miss if you're not in your seat early

Or you can enjoy what you see when you're in your seat. But thats a different view clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom